Macross Revoltech

CF18

Great pics ikhii! Love the pose where Hikari climbs the Regult to finish it off.

You almost persuaded me to get a couple of the Revy's there. Almost.

Hahahha... what can i say, At least i've tried. :lol: :lol: ...

Will try even harder next time...

^_^

few more pics coming soon.

Edited by ikhii

Hi! I'm new here! =D

As far as the Yamato/Revoltech comparison shots on the last page, I have to point out that the flash on the camera drastically effects things. The revys look much shinier in those shots than they do in real life - which is why i think someone might have said they look cheap.

I'm a Revoltech whore myself. =D The Revoltechs just seem much more aggressive looking, which is awesome.

Welcome to the forums man, Revoltechs are cool in my books too. :)

What you got? Any yamato's as well?

TBH, I've always been a Gundam model person - I've been building and painting them since 4th grade. ^_^

I DO have a Macross Valkyrie, but I have no idea what it is. It's Max's valkyrie from SDF Macross and it's pretty big, but the legs are constantly spread apart (it's always in some sort of action pose). I bought in the U.S. several years ago. Anyone have an idea what it might be? It came with multiple hands and a gunpod. Oh, and it doesn't transform.

yeah that's them. :D I got a whole DYRL? set (minus kakizaki). They don't make it into the house though,

more so the garage in a box! :p

Mind you my VF-1D exclusive is very happy to be in the display cabinet. Still looks great! (only VF-1D i got)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The YF-19 and YF-21 were at the post office today. First impression WOW are they small.

They are packed in the same size box as the VF-1 series and appear to be the same height as the VF-1.

The YF-19's armor is in fact the wrong color. :wacko:

The Yamato's are larger and I guess more in scale with the Revoltech VF-1 than the Revoltech M plus releases. :blink:

Better photos in the next few days.

post-3784-1213749874_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1213749890_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1213749907_thumb.jpg

My personal opinion... take it for what it is. The Revo is much smaller than my built 1/100 Arii kit, which itself is smaller than it should be at 1/100. I realize that the Revoltechs are non scale, but to my eye 1/144 is the closest standard scale to the Kaiyodo Regult; I bet that it would look good next to a Banpresto Valkyrie... much more so than along side a Revo VF-1 or Toynami 1/100.

1/144 sounds about right. If the Toynami's are truly 1/100 and represent the size of your average Zentraedi soldier, the Regult would have to be bigger by half its current size to accomodate one to climb inside its cockpit.

I like it next to my 1/100's, but its pretty obvious it's too small.

My personal opinion... take it for what it is. :D

IMO the Revy YF-19 face has a really squashed look to it.

If posed just right on the stands, the Revy's can look OK, but in standing pooses next to the GN-U's they just looked deformed IMO.

Graham

LOL... I totally disagree.

While I feel both makes have their pros and cons, I feel the revoltech version has much more of a stronger pose, regardless standing or fligging it's gunpod in the air.

The GN-U feel too stiff in any pose, like a late 90's figure, or a 80's Gundam kit. IMO B))

I like the technology in the GN-U, but the sculpt's capabilities are weak and rigid compared to the Revoltech.

I think a lot of the posing problems comes from the fact that people don't know how to pose the Revoltech figures or just don't bother learning. Once you understand how they work, the Revoltechs can achieve almost any pose, from subtle to wild. IMO, the reason most Revoltechs look so damn cool is because they appear stylish in many of the now classic "line art style" stances, like the "VF-1 with Gun Pod held up" stance.

I also don't really understand why anyone would purchase an "action" figure if they wanted it for some "assembly line" style pose with all right angles. I mean, that's exactly the kind of thing we want to avoid in toy. Every piece of line art I've ever seen has the Valkyries in an A stance with the feet in a V, not frozen like a corpse with the toes pointed straight forward. If I wanted that, I'd just buy a 20 year old Bandai chunky :)

I think a lot of the posing problems comes from the fact that people don't know how to pose the Revoltech figures or just don't bother learning

This is true.

I remember when I made Valkyrie princess out of various different Revoltechs, people on my local fan forum were like "how could you mangle your Revoltechs by taking them apart like that!?"

They don't seem to realize that often times you are SUPPOSED to removed parts in order to safely manipulate the Revoltech joint for some great pose.

I have to agree that GNU just doesn't cut the mustard...or something to that effect.

That said - don't worry Yamato! I'm not even close to bothering with Revoltech YF-21 and 19 because I'm still scraping up money for your 1/60 21 and am also aiming to get your 1/60 VF-1S!

And don't worry Kayodo: although not getting any more of your Macros Valks, I am getting about a zillion OTHER Revoltech figures :)

VFTF1

I dont know what yalls talking bout! My GNU YF-21 can do some sweet dynamic poses. The feet swivel a lot to get awesome stances. They are actually much more poseable than I had thought looking at pics online. It is also capable of doing some subtle poses. I like how even doing an A stance generic pose you can angle the hips in or out and the hip wings in or out to quite a varying degree to get better looking poses and the joints generally each have 2 X and 2 Y points of articulation if you use it. Maybe people just are not posting great poses yet. Of course I have not posted any poses yet. I will have to wait until I am off of toddler duty so maybe this weekend I can take some shots that will sell these to you. But really Swoosh or ruskiiVFaussie can do some of their kick ass poses and photos with these. Anyway, I am really happy with the GNU and the real thing looks so much better than the pics online, many of which including the ones on yamato's and HLJ's site are not production models IIRC.

I have to agree VFTF-1. The strength of the Revoltechs is by far the customization one can achieve with the joints. You can actually pull them apart and make them flex even further in many cases, which is excellent when building specific poses. That's why I'm so skeptical of the articulation claims of the GNU static joints. Sure the GNU joints look as good as any Master Grade Gundam, but like I've said before, the Revoltech system has proven superior, in practice.

I'm just stunned when someone posts "My Revoltech can't do this or it can't pose like that". I recognize that like any toy, the Revoltechs have limitations. But in my opinion, most people aren't even trying. I KNOW what my Revoltech VF-1 is capable of and it can achieve more than any other toy I've ever seen. Maybe what I should do is post a Revoltech primer on the M3, in the For Fans Only section. Imagination required :)

I also think miriya has a point. I'm much happier with the way the Yamato GNU toys turned out. I've definitely sweetened towards the figures and I'm glad to see that some of my early concerns about the GNU toys turned out favorably in the end. I might pick one up, especially just to do a comparison. No offense to any GNU fans, but most of the Revoltech/GNU comparisons I've read here are from members of the staunch anti-Revoltech crowd. While I appreciate our different preferences, these product reviews don't do me a whole lot of good as a satisfied Revoltech customer trying to compare the relative strengths of each product. I also haven't a clue what the whole anti-PVC thing is supposed to be about. I think that complaint is rapidly turning into another Macross World special, much like the now infamous "small hands" cry of lameness :lol:

At any rate, more Macross products is only a good thing in my mind. As the consumer, I'm the one who ultimately wins from all these companies in the mix :)

Edited by Mr March

IMO the Revoltechs definitely have a slight edge in articulation over the GN-Us (except for hip articulation), but not as big an edge as Revoltech fans would have you believe. The main advantage of the Revoltechs is their ability to take advantage of their articulation through use of their display stand.

If the GN-Us came with a similar display stand, I think you would find that they can easily create most (if not all) of the dynamic action poses that the Revoltechs can do.

The Revoltechs are very good toys for they price. My main issue with them, especially for the Macross Plus Revys is what I consider to be a pretty sucky looking sculpt and cheap looking PVC construction. I think more so that the Revy VF-1, the actual Mac Plu production Revys definitely look much worse than the preproduction photos.

Graham

The Revoltechs were freed shortly from their boxes.

The Revoltechs are painted while the Yamatos for the most part are molded in color.

One of my two Revoltech YF-21s has two very bad paint spots... nothing new... the same thing happened on one of my Patlabors and VF-1s but much worse than the overspray on my Yamato YF-21. The Revoltech VF-21 is much darker than the Yamato... which is correct do not know.

The hands of the GN-U YF-19 are Dark Gray paint over white plastic. The first time inserting the gunpod and some paint was rubbed off.

The articulation of the Revoltech is better but I do not like the hip joints. The wide stance and only fore-aft movement reminds me of the old Toynami SPs. No problem with the VF-1 but the M+ leaves something to be desired.

The best thing is that the pinpoint barrier and Fast Packs from the Revoltech YF-21 fit great on the Yamato.

Like Graham recommends, might end up using the Revoltech stand with the Yamato.

For the best of both worlds Revoltech joints on the GN-U.

While I ordered two each of the Revoltechs and only one each of the Yamatos. I wish I had ordered more of the Yamatos.

post-3784-1213842309_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1213842317_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1213842331_thumb.jpg

I keep hearing that the GN-U's posability rivals the Revoltechs, but no one is posting any pictures to back up that claim. So far all the GN-U poses shown have been underwhelming, even the poses shown with that custom Japanese stand haven't been that impressive.

Whether the GN-U can outpose the Revoltech remains to be seen, but one thing is certain: Yamato's marketing department is doing a terrible job marketing this line. All the promotional pictures I've seen have shown the GN-U's in relatively static positions, whereas Kaiyodo's ads have always pushed their revoltechs to the limit.

revolt1.jpg

I couldn't agree more. We have a complaint the Revoltech hip joints only do fore-aft swivel, but then a picture appears meant to display the amazing GNU articulation by showing...fore-aft hip swivel? I'm not seeing this articulation at all. So far it's all "sculpt preference" and the articulation appears to be thrown under the rug. I mean, an "action" figure with arms and legs that go straight down isn't a selling point! That's a Bandai chunky. I've never seen a "beauty pose" drawn by Kawamori that had 90 degree angled feet with the legs/arms stiff as board :)

Show me what these GNU's can do. Let it all out! If the articulation of a Revoltech is only slightly better, then don't hold back! Show me some GNU power. Let's see how far those shoulders can move laterally. How wide a leg stance can the GNU handle? Can they do a sniper pose? Can they do the ground punch? Can the GNU YF-19 do Isamu's flying kick? What kind of action/beauty poses can you get? Can the GNU's do a decent squat and stay upright? If you do a walking mid-stride pose, are the GNU joints strong enough to hold the figure upright?

Those are just a few examples of what I can do with my VF-1 Revoltech and it doesn't stop there. Yamato hasn't done squat with their studio photos, so it's up to the fans. Lemme see :)

Edited by Mr March

I think that complaint is rapidly turning into another Macross World special, much like the now infamous "small hands" cry of lameness

Yeah but have you seen the hands of the 1/60 vf-1? It's the same size as the 1/48. lol And it looks much closer to lineart. Answer me this: would you prefer them to be smaller on the 1/60 now that you've seen how much better-proportioned the hands on the new 1/60 vf-1 are to the rest of the body?

Nothing personal, but somehow I think complaints about complainers is getting old. We anal retentives know what we like and will continue the campaign of whining until yamato listens. It got us the tampo printing, helped alert yamato of the first release curse, and (for other non-macross toys like the megazone 23 garlands) allows them free feedback on problems with their QC on early releases and better treatment for future buyers who can avoid the flaws. 1/48 hands are crap. (clown hands are closer to the right size imo. Maybe not the gbp ones, but we all know they are only so massive because yamato made the GBP massive, so they had to be upscaled to ridiculous size along with it) I think having too-small hands is as bad as having the over-sized shoulders on the 1/100 toynami valks or over-sized chest on 1/48 yamato. For a lot of people it can spoil the look of robot mode and is a flaw. Other toys don't do it so why settle for less?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Mr March, ditto on your last three replies. B))

I will also add that if the Gn-U only need a base to have great poses, then why even without a base they still feel short against the Revo's without a base? ^_^ LOL

Anyway, as I said I have nothing against the GN-U. Though I wish people's opinions towards the Revoltechs would not be so Anti without any visible constructive reasoning, because of their close affiliation or biased view with the Yamato company...

For me articulation in a toy and mulitple dynamic poses are of the outmost importance, hence my preference for the Revoltechs. Cause if I just wanted a stiff pose, and a pretty finish at a higher price, then I would be buying and building kits...

Revoltechs are toys, are they achieve that better than anyone else at this scale and price range.

Would I buy a GN-U? If they were cheaper and included a base, I probably would. ^_^ But then again it's Yamato, who did a great job in making me buy expensive 1/48 that turn yellow, and have a fragility of a crystal egg. :angry: LOL ... :p But I will still buy their new 1/60 as they're the best in that scale, and as above my passion in toys, I love Macross. :)

Edited by Omegablue

The Revoltechs have a 3D torso joint, which I think is pretty critical to dynamic looking poses. I agree that the hip joints are lacking, but in terms of good looking poses that doesn't seem to have as much of an effect as the lack of torso joints on GNUs. The pivot point on the thighs help immensely as well--you can't really do the Revvy YF-19's flying kick pose on a GNU YF-19 because of it. Kaiyodo seem to have a lot of experience at strategically placing joints for the most dynamic poses and working around limitations.

In all other counts though, the two lines appear equal in articulation (okay, minus the GNU YF-19's crap knee bend). GNUs have ball joints where they count, such as at the shoulders, hips, and ankles, and all Revoltech joints are--functionally--ball joints as well. Big plus for the GNUs is that, having actual ball joints, they're much easier to pose and have a finer range of motion. Revoltechs are more difficult to pose (as evidenced by the YF-21s in this thread that look like they've had their limbs broken and/or half pulled apart) but they hold better plus the whole modularity thing.

That said, the way the GNU YF-21 looks at 3/4th profile is atrocious, I can't believe they screwed it up that badly even though the lineart shows it at that angle. And someone must've been drunk when they came up with the placement of the YF-19's leg skeleton in relation to the armor, if they'd moved it up a centimeter it would look practically the same and have almost twice the range. The Revoltechs don't really have glaring/obvious/stupid errors, but their sculpts are definitely funkier than the lineart and of course the intrinsic disadvantages of PVC (ABS? POM internal skeleton? Why THANK YOU YAMATO). You can really tell that Kaiyodo's guy's actually a designer though, and recognized and captured the spirit (if not the exact proportions) of the lineart, while whoever did the GNUs sort of mechanically tried to copy the lineart exactly.

Edited by xyh

Roboto

Very nice pics. I love the action :)

1/1 LowViz Lurker

It's very ironic, but you'll find that Macross World's infamous "small hands" cry of lameness actually has very little to do with the toys and figures. It was mostly a Star Wars thing that sent most facepalming. It also mutated at one point into "weak hands" in several Macross Plus/Macross Frontier discussions :)

Besides, I'm pro-Yamato New VF-1 1/60. That thing rocks, hands included!

Omegablue

Yeah, I want to see some GNU action. I'm almost sold on one, if for no other reason than to do a proper comparison. I know how to pose Revoltechs; I don't fight against the joint system in frustration. I'm going to take a few pictures of my Revoltech VF-1 and show off what these things can really do, WITHOUT a stand.

That's another thing: this posting of GNU customs with stands is nice and all, but that ain't what I'd get for my money. The GNU's have no stand and no modified joint system for enhanced articulation. If I purchased a GNU, I'd be stuck with factory articulation, no FAST packs and no stand. You don't see me praising the Revoltechs and trying to sell it on the strength of some aftermarket transformable custom :)

In all other counts though, the two lines appear equal in articulation (okay, minus the GNU YF-19's crap knee bend).

Case in point. Here we have a fan trying to make an objective assessment based on these horrid fan photographs. The Revoltechs in some of these fan pictures are posed at their worst or not at all. Were these Revoltechs sat upon prior to shooting? Or better yet, a factory dud being used as an objective comparison? Yup, buying a GNU looks more and more attractive, if for no better reason than to get to the bottom of the propaganda campaign :wacko::lol:

Just the figures and the edge of a table.

Fly4victory, thanks for posting those pictures. I'm amazed at how well the GN-U can balance itself, those one-foot poses are a technical feat. If you have the time, can you see if the GN-U's can match the action poses from that Kaiyodo ad?

Some galleries that really push the YF-19 and the YF-21 to their limits.

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/galle...tech_YF-19.html

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/galle...tech_YF-21.html

Same person also did a gallery of the GNU YF-19, posing results... not as dynamic.

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/gallery-GNU_YF-19.html

Same person also did a gallery of the GNU YF-19, posing results... not as dynamic.

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/gallery-GNU_YF-19.html

Now that's what I'm talking about. That's the good stuff; it at least shows some of what the GNU can do. It's not bad.

My only complaint with those galleries is that for both GNU and Revoltech figures he concentrates a bit too much on work with the stand. I like stands as much as the next fan, but I like free-stance much better. I'm currently taking a whole pile of pose shots for my VF-1 Revoltech, all free-stance. I'll post a gallery once I have em all cleaned up and resized.

Agreed the use of the stand takes away somewhat but they can't stand on tippy toe without the stand to keep em up.

Only other thing we could do to reproduce the "vernier movement" (or gravity factor) of valks is the use of strings! :)

It would be real nice if Kaiyodo gave us clear plastic stands though.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie