Hey! What are you working on?

Wicked Ace

I just finished a 1/48-scale support crew and equipment set from Hasegawa for one of our members. The support crew uniform is painted as close to the Macross SDF TV show colors, yellow/tan with red collar. ^_^

WOW!!! Those look marvelous!!! GREAT JOB!!! I think I know the lucky one to be getting those. ^_^

:ph34r:

Because some pilots want to fly the YF-21 the old fashioned way....

post-3595-1213971757_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1213971774_thumb.jpg

The main disadvantage is that I can't really squeeze him in right when I rotate the seat for battroid mode. I guess I could mush the arms and force him to sit in there, but I'm guessing I'll chip some paint off when I do that.

Oh well. There's definitely enough space to close the canopy properly when in fighter mode though.

P.S.--The pilot's own ride is in the shop right now. He's just borrowing Guld's ride for demonstration purposes. ;)

Because some pilots want to fly the YF-21 the old fashioned way....

The main disadvantage is that I can't really squeeze him in right when I rotate the seat for battroid mode. I guess I could mush the arms and force him to sit in there, but I'm guessing I'll chip some paint off when I do that.

Oh well. There's definitely enough space to close the canopy properly when in fighter mode though.

P.S.--The pilot's own ride is in the shop right now. He's just borrowing Guld's ride for demonstration purposes. ;)

That looks tight mate! I just can't get over how weird they made that Guld piolet though. He's like.....fat! :lol: I can't wait to see the green pilots ride though....I bet it is SWEET!!!

The pilot's own ride is in the shop right now. He's just borrowing Guld's ride for demonstration purposes. ;) [/i]

Please give us some build-up pics for this thread. I think many will appreciate any disassembly/assembly/prep/paint guidance.

If I took in-process pics, I'd never get the damn custom done. :lol:

A few things I've learned though:

1) When reassembling the two upper thigh halves and the bellyplate connector piece, you'll notice that there are three screws. Make sure to use the longer screw for the middle slot. And make sure to push the bellyplate connector piece all the way into the thigh half.

As I learned the hard way, the bellyplate connector piece(s) acts as a screw hole for that middle screw to go into. If you don't push that bellyplate connector all the way in (had to use some butter to get that puppy to push in completely into the thigh) or use the longer screw, you risk the screw not locking onto anything.

2) Be careful in dealing with the bicep covers. You'll need to separate the bicep halves in order to disassemble the arm completely. I wound up being 1 for 2 in getting those things to disconnect properly. Maybe there was some glue, but I wound up breaking both pegs on one set of biceps. (Thank God for superglue!!)

3) When disassembling the lower leg (the part that goes from the knee to the "pants cuff"), you should note that there are three screws: one in the knee joint and two covered by little square pegs. These pegs can be a bitch to remove. So, be very patient and careful when trying to pry and pop these off.

Being that this is my first major repaint of a Valk, I'm also making a some rookie mistakes and being a little too anxious to reassemble parts. After painting the arms, I realized I shoulda sanded them down more, especially that little peg piece that covers up the tailfin to the forearm.

I'm hoping the sanding and waiting a little longer to reassemble will result in no paint chipping.

The last thing I wanna see is paint chips, especially on the two sliding parts of the backpack. :unsure:

Will keep you guys posted if I run into any weird or unusual parts.

Edited by Mog

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm about half-way done with the painting.

I've also put out the word on the YF-21 toy thread, but is anyone still making/printing custom stickers (pilot name, numbers, custom emblems/designs, etc.)?

I've got the major designs ready to go, but I just need someone to print 'em up for me.

PM me if you can help me out!

done :rolleyes:

your comments are welcome

dsc03087ev3.jpg

dsc03083mw8.jpg

dsc03085mv6.jpg

dsc03084li7.jpg

dsc03081ct9.jpg

dsc03082th3.jpg

that looks great B))

but why not do a bit of damage to the canopy or on the nose cone under it so it shows where roy got shot from?

but still fantastic the way you have done it

that looks great B))

but why not do a bit of damage to the canopy or on the nose cone under it so it shows where roy got shot from?

but still fantastic the way you have done it

Thks RichyX this was a first try for someone... =======> for battle damaged

I have copied kurt battle damaged valk for the impact locations ^_^

I will do one for me one day and under all impacts I will add mechanic and electronic hardware :ph34r:

so I will be back :p

and roy died with an internal explosion due to one of the impact

a little piece of metal hurt his back :D

Blackjack

gallery_3595_72_138496.jpg

Finished painting/touching up last night. I kinda screwed up spray-painting the intakes (top/outside part), so I had to sand and wound up brush painting them instead. Not my best work on this bird. <_<

Also, some of the trim details will look fairly "amateur-ish." But hopefully, you folks will be a bit forgiving on my first try at a full-on custom paint job.

Kinda wish I had more of a flat-finish, touch-up paint too (to match up better with the spray paint). But them's the breaks. :rolleyes:

P.S.--I'm still looking for someone to print out some custom sticker designs for me. PM me with a quote if you're interested!!

Yup, I PM'ed him before I posted my requests in the threads.

He said that he might make some stickers once he gets the -21 in hand.

But he stated that he didn't make custom individual stickers (pilot names, numbers, etc.).

It's a bummer about the custom/individualized stickers, but I understand and am cool with it.

Yup, I PM'ed him before I posted my requests in the threads.

He said that he might make some stickers once he gets the -21 in hand.

But he stated that he didn't make custom individual stickers (pilot names, numbers, etc.).

It's a bummer about the custom/individualized stickers, but I understand and am cool with it.

If you're not opposed to water-slide decals, then there are many generic number sets, etc. available. Since you've gone with black, the edges of stickers are going to really stand out -- something to think about.

^^The problem is that I have a custom design for the squad markings.

...And I've gotta put an image of Mog (the FF6 character) somewhere on the cockpit fuselage too.

But I'll have to mull over the decals........I'm just not very good with applying those blasted things.

Edited by Mog

^^The problem is that I have a custom design for the squad markings.

...And I've gotta put an image of Mog (the FF6 character) somewhere on the cockpit fuselage too.

But I'll have to mull over the decals........I'm just not very good with applying those blasted things.

You might want to consider a plan B, since you've already committed to the custom. ^_^ I wish there was someone I knew of that could make what you need. In the meantime, I'm stuck hoarding the Macross water-slide decals I have left. I'd like a companion -21/-22 to go with my "Vampires" -19.

Blackjack

gallery_3595_72_138496.jpg

Finished painting/touching up last night. I kinda screwed up spray-painting the intakes (top/outside part), so I had to sand and wound up brush painting them instead. Not my best work on this bird. <_<

Also, some of the trim details will look fairly "amateur-ish." But hopefully, you folks will be a bit forgiving on my first try at a full-on custom paint job.

Kinda wish I had more of a flat-finish, touch-up paint too (to match up better with the spray paint). But them's the breaks. :rolleyes:

P.S.--I'm still looking for someone to print out some custom sticker designs for me. PM me with a quote if you're interested!!

wheres the rest???

^^Still in process. ;)

I've added a few more pics in my Blackjack gallery (click linky here).

It's currently just in "limit break" mode at the moment. I'll probably reattach the arms, legs, gunpods, and intake covers sometime this weekend.

I'm sad to report that there has been some paint chipping here and there, mostly on the fuselage and intake assembly portions. This is probably because I wanted to reassemble everything and didn't wait long enough after spray-painting to let things dry properly. That and the touch-up paint didn't hold up all that well. <_<

But the chipping is not too obvious or glaring just yet.

Also, after two full transfomations back and forth, it looks like the backpack paint is holding up pretty well.

Even though I still need some other stickers printed (especially for the tailfins and fast packs), I applied some leftover Spacy kite stickers I found lying around.

A few tips for folks crazy enough to attempt this:

* When reassembling the top part of the intakes (the part that has yellow and blue, not the intake/turbine itself), be mindful of the screw that you're using. You should use the thinnest screw you have for that section. I stupidly used one of the thicker screws and wound up sorta stripping the screw hole. :rolleyes:

* Pay attention to which grey shoulder swing piece you're reattching to the body. After disassembling the whole upper arm portion again (thinking I somehow screwed up reassembling arm and shoulder section), I realized all I had to do was switch the grey shoulder swing pieces between the left side and right side of the body.

In other words, I attached the left grey shoulder swing piece on the right side, instead of the left! :rolleyes::lol:

Since the painting's done, here's a comparison shot with the original in fighter mode:

gallery_3595_72_178257.jpg

Now for the bad news: When I transformed her into fighter, this sucker chipped more than Greg Norman on a Sunday. The worst culprits look to be the elbows, the shoulder pads, the bloody removeable knee pieces, and probably the upper thigh. Basically, parts that rub up against each other inside the underbelly were the worst hit.

I also had a little bit of a chip on one of the moving intake parts (the one that caves in for the shoulder swing).

Luckily though, most of the stuff that's really showing/exposed in fighter mode appears to be holding (except for the pivot joint underneath and behind the cockpit).

Looks I'll be touching this sucker up after most transformations. :rolleyes:

that's one hell of a nice looking valk there, love the color! hmm... chipping sucks, did you apply some sort of clear cloating to help prevent it??

by the way, I contacted Takatoys a few months ago and got of him a few stickers he had left, maybe you can contact him if he has any left

That looks great! Too bad about the paint. When I can build kits in the original color, I do. I have yet to find a paint that doesn't scratch, rub or chip off easily! It's frustrating! I feel your pain! - MT

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I am working on....

It is the W.H.A.M. 1/5000 Macross SDF-1 reconfigured into the TV version with Daedalus and Prometheus attached instead of the ARMD-01 and -02. I didn't like the IMAI/ARII kits since the arms cannot bend and the legs do not have good stance in storm attacker mode. Here is an early photo.

post-7534-1218784586_thumb.jpeg

I will post some better photos later. :)

Since the painting's done, here's a comparison shot with the original in fighter mode:

gallery_3595_72_178257.jpg

Now for the bad news: When I transformed her into fighter, this sucker chipped more than Greg Norman on a Sunday. The worst culprits look to be the elbows, the shoulder pads, the bloody removeable knee pieces, and probably the upper thigh. Basically, parts that rub up against each other inside the underbelly were the worst hit.

I also had a little bit of a chip on one of the moving intake parts (the one that caves in for the shoulder swing).

Luckily though, most of the stuff that's really showing/exposed in fighter mode appears to be holding (except for the pivot joint underneath and behind the cockpit).

Looks I'll be touching this sucker up after most transformations. :rolleyes:

Did you do a clear coat?

Here is what I am working on....

It is the W.H.A.M. 1/5000 Macross SDF-1 reconfigured into the TV version with Daedalus and Prometheus attached instead of the ARMD-01 and -02. I didn't like the IMAI/ARII kits since the arms cannot bend and the legs do not have good stance in storm attacker mode. Here is an early photo.

post-7534-1218784586_thumb.jpeg

I will post some better photos later. :)

oh wow, that's freaking sweet!! where did you get the 1/5000 Deadalus and Prometheus, did you mod from and IMAI/ARII existing kit?? and the paint is looking great...