Hey! What are you working on?

Wicked Ace

hey why do you paint on the sprue ?

as finition it is better to cut all the pieces and paint them IMO

I considered that...but then I found that if I need to I will touch up the pieces as I take them off. Since this is my first model I am trying some different approaches. We'll have to see how it works out for me. BTW....Can you suggest a REALLY GOOD and SHARP pair of cutters for getting the pieces off the sprues?

:ph34r:

I considered that...but then I found that if I need to I will touch up the pieces as I take them off. Since this is my first model I am trying some different approaches. We'll have to see how it works out for me. BTW....Can you suggest a REALLY GOOD and SHARP pair of cutters for getting the pieces off the sprues?

you can use anything to cut it off straight and use a sharp new exacto knife to do closed precision cut

23129317.jpg

^_^

you can use anything to cut it off straight and use a sharp new exacto knife to do closed precision cut

^_^

Cool then....I have a whole set of exacto knives....I just thought maybe there was some sort of special super duper sharp cutters I should use.

You really shouldn't paint on sprue. The reason being when you go to glue and putty, your going to have to sand as well. Unless you want MASSIVE seams, which bandai valk kits are always good for (a lot of fit issues IMO).The bandai 1/100's are fun little kits, but I'd recommend a 1/72 Hasegawa. Much better scale, much better kit.

Hey Ryan, you're off to a good start. There isn't that much of a problem with painting parts on the sprue, especially just the base coats of colors. You will need to do some touch ups on the seam lines etc. after assembly, but this way you do have color on the kit and you won't need to worry so much about getting into any tight spaces that occur after assembly. Make sure that any paint is removed from the surfaces that will be glued, the seam edges etc.

I found some really nice clippers at Radio Shack. I think they are from their Kronos tool line. They are quite sharp and cut very cleanly on most sprue. If the sprue is thick, you should cut farther away from the part and then use an exacto or a small file or sandpaper to clean up the rest.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm excited to see that kit built up! B))

Hey Ryan, you're off to a good start. There isn't that much of a problem with painting parts on the sprue, especially just the base coats of colors. You will need to do some touch ups on the seam lines etc. after assembly, but this way you do have color on the kit and you won't need to worry so much about getting into any tight spaces that occur after assembly. Make sure that any paint is removed from the surfaces that will be glued, the seam edges etc.

I found some really nice clippers at Radio Shack. I think they are from their Kronos tool line. They are quite sharp and cut very cleanly on most sprue. If the sprue is thick, you should cut farther away from the part and then use an exacto or a small file or sandpaper to clean up the rest.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm excited to see that kit built up! B))

THANKS for all the info and the words of encouragment mate! I really appreciate it. I will look for those clippers soon. I can't wait to do more work on it. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

THANKS for all the info and the words of encouragment mate! I really appreciate it. I will look for those clippers soon. I can't wait to do more work on it. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

Having a good pair of sprue cutters saves so much time.

Some updates. I didn't like the pilot Roy that comes with VF-1S. First, his hands are like Doraemon, no fingers!

pilotroyxz2.th.jpg

So I decided to model Roy after the Hikaru from VF-1J. Cut some grooves to show fingers, chop of his arms to re-position them, give him a flight stick. Here's the end product :)

pilotroyandhikaruzq1.th.jpg

Finally finished working on this over the wkend...

'Improved' Roy

royyx2.th.jpg

Top view of Gerwalk

topviewob2.th.jpg

A sensei taught me to weather in the direction of airflow...

leftwingkb0.th.jpg

Finally I chose Tamiya Racing White for the head (instead of Insignia White) cos it's nearer to the overall shade of the valkyrie.

battoroidyh0.th.jpg

And last but not least... I can't resist taking a pic of the charaworks. It's very nice if you remove the obvious seamlines gooduo0.gif

charaworksua4.th.jpg

Man, all these great mods people are doing to the "toys" is enough to make a person switch from models! Those are awesome!

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do some flap work on a YF-19 hasegawa while in flight. Time for research.

Here's what's lying on my workbench.

post-7534-1210367593_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1210367604_thumb.jpg

I just finished putting a very light weathering finsh on Hikaru's 1/48 VF-1J. All the decals are applied and trimmed to eliminate all the excess material. The feet and gunpod are repainted with a different shade of gray. Finally, a dull clearcoat was applied to seal in the decals and give it a more realistic finsh.

But I am not done with this valk yet. I am repainting the VF-1 armor set, to match the TV colors, that will be installed on this valk. The original plastic color is a bit too much on the blue side. And the red and white pieces looks translucent in their bare plastic state.

I will put some photos up soon of the armor set! :lol:

Here's what's lying on my workbench.

post-7534-1210367593_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1210367604_thumb.jpg

I just finished putting a very light weathering finsh on Hikaru's 1/48 VF-1J. All the decals are applied and trimmed to eliminate all the excess material. The feet and gunpod are repainted with a different shade of gray. Finally, a dull clearcoat was applied to seal in the decals and give it a more realistic finsh.

But I am not done with this valk yet. I am repainting the VF-1 armor set, to match the TV colors, that will be installed on this valk. The original plastic color is a bit too much on the blue side. And the red and white pieces looks translucent in their bare plastic state.

I will put some photos up soon of the armor set! :lol:

Wow!! Nice job, Ron!

Excellent touch, little screen with Minmae singing. ^_^

An idea for the display stand for the SV51

drill 4 holes and you get that : :lol:

Pretty bad a$$ display mate :D ......what's with the weird angle on the first pic. LOL :p

Ok! Seriously, here is what I have been working on besides Alto's paper plane. I am repainting the 1/48 GBP-1 armor for the Hikaru VF-1J. Here are a couple of photos of the chest piece right out of the box.

post-7534-1210627077_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1210627090_thumb.jpg

Now with a coat of dark gray and flat red with all the decals added. :lol:

post-7534-1210627162_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1210627169_thumb.jpg

The decals are a pain! :wacko: I cut around the decals after applying them on the surface and removed any excess material. That way, it looks cleaner. A final coat of flat clearcoat help keep the gloss to a minimum.

More later....

Wow, I finally got the armor set repainted and applied all the decals. Again, the color is painted to a more darker military gray with a deeper red too. Here are the photos of the results.

Hikaru on patrol in Macross City.

post-7534-1211137150_thumb.jpg

Looks like a lost tourist.

post-7534-1211137158_thumb.jpg

Ready!

post-7534-1211137169_thumb.jpg

See you at the next Deculture! :lol:

post-7534-1211137177_thumb.jpg

Wow, I finally got the armor set repainted and applied all the decals. Again, the color is painted to a more darker military gray with a deeper red too. Here are the photos of the results.

Ready!

WOW!!! That's pretty much all I can say. Those colors look GREAT. You said that you cut the excess decal off after you applied them to the surface? Did you use an exacto or something sharper? I was thinking about doing that myself cause it is almost a pain to cut them while they are on the sheet.

post-7534-1211137150_thumb.jpg

post-7534-1211137158_thumb.jpg

Ready!

post-7534-1211137169_thumb.jpg

post-7534-1211137177_thumb.jpg

Oh man...

EXO: Mom! Can I go to Ron's house and play???

MAMA EXO: No son, at your age that just sounds gay.

EXO: Mom, that's so politically incorrect! Besides... these are war toys!!!

MAMA EXO: OK... just be back here before supper and for god's sakes no tip-toeing thru the tulips!

EXO: Awww, geez... who said you can plant tulips on my mini land mine diorama anyway?

Oh man...

MAMA EXO: OK... just be back here before supper and for god's sakes no tip-toeing thru the tulips!

EXO: Awww, geez... who said you can plant tulips on my mini land mine diorama anyway?

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh man...

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

WOW!!! That's pretty much all I can say. Those colors look GREAT. You said that you cut the excess decal off after you applied them to the surface? Did you use an exacto or something sharper? I was thinking about doing that myself cause it is almost a pain to cut them while they are on the sheet.

Hey misterryno, I used an exacto knife for cutting around the blank areas of the decal. Then I used a flat over coat to seal it in. Use a new blade when doing this. The decals are tough and don't cut as easily as waterslide decals.

I used both Yamato's stickers and Anazasi's waterslide decals in various places. But the waterslide decals have a slight haze if not bonded down properly. So I switched to the stickers which blend to dark surfaces better.

Next project, more Macross sets for a few members here. ^_^

Hey misterryno, I used an exacto knife for cutting around the blank areas of the decal. Then I used a flat over coat to seal it in. Use a new blade when doing this. The decals are tough and don't cut as easily as waterslide decals.

I used both Yamato's stickers and Anazasi's waterslide decals in various places. But the waterslide decals have a slight haze if not bonded down properly. So I switched to the stickers which blend to dark surfaces better.

Next project, more Macross sets for a few members here. ^_^

Ahhh right on! THANKS! Can you inform me on waht type of over coat you used to seal them?

Ahhh right on! THANKS! Can you inform me on waht type of over coat you used to seal them?

Testor's dull coat spray in a can. Their product number is #1260. This is available at most hobby supply store.

Don't forget to mask any glass (cockpit) and lights or else it will become hazy.

Testor's dull coat spray in a can. Their product number is #1260. This is available at most hobby supply store.

Don't forget to mask any glass (cockpit) and lights or else it will become hazy.

GREAT! I will hop over to the Hobby Lobby tomorrow. THANKS!

Ok I have managed to erase the horrible line on the canopy with sand paper and with an eraser for cars

Cool.....I wondered if someone would come up with a way to do away with that nasty line. GOOD JOB! THANKS for sharing too.