Hey! What are you working on?

Wicked Ace

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_3595_72_36008.jpg

Being the idiot perfectionist that I am, I actually took this one off (I didn't cut the top edge properly).

I'm just printing these off of my regular old inkjet. They don't look too bad on top of grey or relatively light colored spots. But trying to put these stickers on the black parts hasn't been working out too well.

It's definitely been a learning experience trying to get these right. First, I tried to print out some light-grey stickers, but it was ridiculously hard to see 'em on the Blackjack.

Then, I tried a sneaky method to white-back some of the lighter stickers (using those little white-out/correction tape mechanical rolling thingies). But trying to remove the excess white background was messy and didn't leave stickers looking all that nice.

Just a few hours ago, I tried an even sneakier method. This one involved using the correction tape method above and printing the light-colored stickers with a black background. I'm letting them dry right now.

If it works out, I'll post some pics.

Edited by Mog

Being the idiot perfectionist that I am, I actually took this one off (I didn't cut the top edge properly).

I'm just printing these off of my regular old inkjet. They don't look too bad on top of grey or relatively light colored spots. But trying to put these stickers on the black parts hasn't been working out too well.

It's definitely been a learning experience trying to get these right. First, I tried to print out some light-grey stickers, but it was ridiculously hard to see 'em on the Blackjack.

Then, I tried a sneaky method to white-back some of the lighter stickers (using those little white-out/correction tape mechanical rolling thingies). But trying to remove the excess white background was messy and didn't leave stickers looking all that nice.

Just a few hours ago, I tried an even sneakier method. This one involved using the correction tape method above and printing the light-colored stickers with a black background. I'm letting them dry right now.

If it works out, I'll post some pics.

Sorry if you're already aware of this, but there are waterslide decal sheets that work with your printer -- even white background ones. These should work for the dark colored areas.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Here is the Yamato Ver.2.0 1/60 scale VF-1S with light weathering. The panel lines in this 1/60 version is very shallow compare to the 1/48 version. It is almost not visible. Some slight repaint of a few parts were also done to lower the "plastic look" factor. B))

post-7534-1223142313_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1223142320_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1223142329_thumb.jpeg

Here is the Yamato Ver.2.0 1/60 scale VF-1S with light weathering. The panel lines in this 1/60 version is very shallow compare to the 1/48 version. It is almost not visible. Some slight repaint of a few parts were also done to lower the "plastic look" factor. B))

Totally freakin sweet!!!!

So what did you use? Please divulge your secrets here so that we can all do this (instead of asking you to do it for us).

Totally freakin sweet!!!!

So what did you use? Please divulge your secrets here so that we can all do this (instead of asking you to do it for us).

Yep!

Simply put, brush on a light solution of weathering paint over the panel lines. Use cloth of paper towel to dab off any excess paint. For the panel line paint, I used a weathering paint I got from a train store. It is called "Steam Power Black" by Testor for their Polly Scale Model Railroad Colors. It is a water based paint, so it is not messy. But practice this one another model kit first.

Some of the grey colors on the valk were repainted, like the exhaust, intake and gun pod.

A light coat of dull clear coat was applied over the whole plane. Just remember to tape off the canopy, lights and head visor.

And that should do it. :lol:

Sorry if you're already aware of this, but there are waterslide decal sheets that work with your printer -- even white background ones. These should work for the dark colored areas.

Unfortunately, I'm a stubborn ass about decals. Never could place them all that well back in the day. And I still stink at applying them now.

Oh well, it's been fun experimenting with these stickers (in a glutton-for-pain kinda way :lol: ). I applied the pilot name stickers and they looked solid as hell. Unfortunately, my grubby, sweaty fingers mucked up the lettering.

I've further refined my so-called "technique." So, now the designs are a little better protected, and I don't have to handle the -21 with kid gloves that much. Unfortunately, the stickers now have a little bit of a glossy sheen to 'em now.

Oh well, I can live with it.

Deceptively simple, yet nicely understated.

I like it!

ron5864---could you explain what you mean by "solution"? Because I've used Pollyscale Steam Power Black for years (and used it yesterday), and it's not a "weathering" paint or anything as I know it--it's not thin, transparent, or anything else that indicates it's formulated for weathering effects---it's just normal paint. Do you thin it a *lot* to make a wash out of it?

(In fact, it's the color I plan to use to touch up the rubbed-off spots on my v2 Roy left tailfin---it matched best of all the blacks I have)

Looking at real planes and what their panel lines look like, you've got it spot on! All aircraft have some dirt on them. Now you just need some fuel spills underneath for the full affect! - MT

Just got my new VF-0B & VF-0D Phoenix's in today from HLJ.com and I couldn't wait to get started on them. None of the pieces are actually glued together, just primered & the parts resting in place right now.

I never realized that the lower legs of the VF-0D are a little different from the others 0's. This will be 1 of 2 VF-0B's I'll be working on, got lucky off ebay the other night!!

As far as color schemes go, I'm thinking of staying away from the std color schemes & trying something a bit more interesting!! So very much a WIP for now, but more to come as they progress!! B))

Just got my new VF-0B & VF-0D Phoenix's in today from HLJ.com and I couldn't wait to get started on them. None of the pieces are actually glued together, just primered & the parts resting in place right now.

I never realized that the lower legs of the VF-0D are a little different from the others 0's. This will be 1 of 2 VF-0B's I'll be working on, got lucky off ebay the other night!!

As far as color schemes go, I'm thinking of staying away from the std color schemes & trying something a bit more interesting!! So very much a WIP for now, but more to come as they progress!! B))

post-6180-1223527940_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223528400_thumb.jpg

Those are looking cool! Did you just do a freehand design for the wings of the 0B? I really like that random, sharp edged look to the colors.

Speaking of touch-ups, don't you just hate it when you get those little spots that pop out right along an otherwise nice, crisp straight edge? <_< That always frustrates me to no end. Oh well, you'll have those fixed up in no time I'm sure.

Those are looking cool! Did you just do a freehand design for the wings of the 0B? I really like that random, sharp edged look to the colors.

Speaking of touch-ups, don't you just hate it when you get those little spots that pop out right along an otherwise nice, crisp straight edge? <_< That always frustrates me to no end. Oh well, you'll have those fixed up in no time I'm sure.

Hey Jardann, Thanks for the good words!! Yeah nothing worse then when you pull the tape off and then you see those little excess paint spots that bleed through. But they're coming along nicely. I'll show some finished product pics later today or tomorrow!! ;)

Well this is the 1st one done. My new VF-0D in SDF TV series colors. I'll never be a pro model builder, but true what they that your next model is always your best!!! I am still trying local some 1/72 scale VF-2 Bounty Hunters decals for my VF-0B, so til then, this one is ready to fly!! Enjoy!!

post-6180-1223684574_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223684635_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223684710_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223684764_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223684823_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1223684919_thumb.jpg

After 3+ months, she's finally done. All the painting and stickering is finally finished*.........Blackjack!!

I'm working on doing a full-up photoshoot of the bird. But in the meantime, I've posted a couple of new battroid pics in the gallery link above.

Enjoy!

* (does not include the occasional paint-chip touch-up ;) ).

Amazingly quick build up there 505th! The colors look great, and the panel lines look just right too.

What color did you use for the feet/thrusters? It looks simple but effective.

Amazingly quick build up there 505th! The colors look great, and the panel lines look just right too.

What color did you use for the feet/thrusters? It looks simple but effective.

Just out of dumb luck while was at the hobby shop, they had small 3 oz. cans of Krylon's hobby paint/short cuts. Good stuff & cheaper than Tamiya or Testors spray paints!! Its called Antique bronze, but its identical to testors Jet exhaust color. Nice even coats!! As for the panel lining (Because I can not use an airbrush machine to save my life) I just outlined everything with thick sharpie black pens, and when the painting was done... Got the idea from here on MW, to go over the paint with a wipe down of watered down black paint, takes a while but works pretty good. A nice aged look to it.

I've had a few free days from work, so once I get into a model, Its all or nothing!!! :D

ron5864---could you explain what you mean by "solution"? Because I've used Pollyscale Steam Power Black for years (and used it yesterday), and it's not a "weathering" paint or anything as I know it--it's not thin, transparent, or anything else that indicates it's formulated for weathering effects---it's just normal paint. Do you thin it a *lot* to make a wash out of it?

(In fact, it's the color I plan to use to touch up the rubbed-off spots on my v2 Roy left tailfin---it matched best of all the blacks I have)

I used a really diluted solution, like 1:30 with water. It is almost transparent, but requires a few applications before the results appear. A fine brush is need to apply to the panel gaps. It is a little time consuming though.