• VF-17 Nightmare
    • VF-19 Excalibur
    • VF-22 Sturmvogel II
    • VF-5000 StarMirage
    • VA-3 Invader
    • VB-6 Konig Monster
    • VF-2SS
    • Metal Siren

Are we talking performance or looks here ? Or both ?

Performancewise i don't think anything beats the YF-21, it seems way more advanced then much of the rest of the VF's. The only reason the YF-19 could keep up was because Isamu was a better pilot then Guld. The Yf-19 is also ofcourse pretty advanced.

Of the mass production fighters i have to say the VF-11, its a perfect update of the VF-1 in many ways.

For looks i think the YF-19 wins, its sexy in fightermode and good looking in Batt too. Yf-21 and VF-11 is also good lookers and the good old VF-1 is not so bad either.

The VF-4 is looking good in fightermode but butt ugly in battroid mode.

Another favorite of mine is the VF-0, not because of looks or performance but because it bridges the gap between our technology and the macross technology in a way. It has regular jet engines and served along side F-14's and such.

Did they really remove the deformable wings in the VF-22? I remember Max folding in the wings against the laser turrets (the way Guld did against the high maneuver missiles) in M7

The canting of the wings in high-speed mode and the expanding/contracting cross-section are 2 different things.

So the "wrinkling" ability is separate from the wing folding eh? Makes sense since it'd be difficult to control the wing to that degree with just standard controls.

Yes. The variable cross section of the wings was experimental and never meant to be part of the Super Nova competition's final submission. Both companies probably tested many things on both the YF-19 and YF-21 which would never make it to mass production due to cost and implementation issues.

OK, this topic is interesting...

But I agree with Graham... it would be great if it is possible ^_^ to add to this poll one more question "Which is your favorite VF?" for example.

The next list is my personal opinion about the best variable fighter:

1.- YF-19

2.- YF-21

3.- VF-25

4.- VF-22

5.- SV-51 (I know is enemy but really powerfull)

The list of my favorites VF is

1.- VF-4G LIII (the most beautiful design for me)

2.- YF-19

3.- VF-1S

4.- SV-51

5.- YF-21

As the franchise gets older imho it flirts more and more with Gundamism, and Gundam's mechs are something I reject outright :-)

Naw. Transforming Gundam mechs turn form humanoid robots to "humanoid robots laying on their faces"

Or from humanoid robots into giant boxes. Seriously, what were they thinking when they did the Psycho Gundam?

Believable jets are on the very bottom of the Gundam design rules.

The VF-17D and now maybe the VF-171 are my favourites.

I also love the YF-19, VF-22, VF-0A/S, VF-2SS w/SAP, VF-11B/C & VF-5000.

The SV-51 and VF-25 are also really growing on me.

Somebody should start a least favorite VF poll. :D . My least favorite would be the VF-9 Cutlass and Metal Siren. I find them hideous in all 3 modes.

Graham

I agree, however I'd change the VF-5000 with the SW-XA1 Schneeblume.

The SV-51 for it's preying mantis like Battroid mode and the VF-25 fully loaded is quite badass, not that it isn't elegant neked...

I prefer the VF-171 over the VF-17. I can't really put my finger on it, maybe it is because it doesn't seem so "fat" comparatively, but more delta wing like...

Love the VF-9 fighter mode, but the battroid looks like Kawamori's first try at lego..(Yikes!) I've always like the concept of a purely space based anti-capital ship fighter that was the Metal Siren, but it's ultimate design was sad. I would love to see how Kawamori would design it...

My only problem with it is that it looks like it was designed to be sexy, unlike the vf-1 which i think looks more like it was designed to look solid and believable and in the mean time also looks cool

Yeah but the high heels.. it's a knight in drag. VF-17 or 19 look like men with a strong presence. When a zentradi looks at one they would get scared by it's appearance. VF11 and vf-1 are too effeminate because they are too skinny and need the gbp.. Lacks fire power by itself Imo.

it seems way more advanced then much of the rest of the VF's.

yf-21 is more advanced but look how primitive the face is. Its so ugly that it knows it so the designer purposely hides it in a hoodie. Like the vf-11b head, it has no style. I understand robots are supposed to be functional, but a ball with an eyeball in the centre smack of laziness. Not one of the zentradi's best decisions if they want to impress the military.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

OK, this topic is interesting...

But I agree with Graham... it would be great if it is possible ^_^ to add to this poll one more question "Which is your favorite VF?" for example.

The next list is my personal opinion about the best variable fighter:

1.- YF-19

2.- YF-21

3.- VF-25

4.- VF-22

5.- SV-51 (I know is enemy but really powerfull)

The list of my favorites VF is

1.- VF-4G LIII (the most beautiful design for me)

2.- YF-19

3.- VF-1S

4.- SV-51

5.- YF-21

In my opinion the Ultimate U.N. Spacy Variable Fighter is the VF-7000 Thunderhawk ( just kidding) !

Seriously, it would be the General Galaxy VF-22 Sturmvogel II.

In my opinion the Best all around U.N. Spacy Variable Fighters would be:

1. Shinsei Industries VF-19 Excalibur

2. General Galaxy VF-17 Nightmare

3. Shinsei Industry VF-5000 StarMirage

4. Shinsei Industry VF-11 Thunderbolt III

5. General Galaxy VF-9 Cutlass

6. Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1 Valkerie

My favorite U.N. Spacy Variable Fighters are:

1. General Galaxy VF-22 Sturmvogel II

2. General Galaxy VF-17 Nightmare

3. Shinsei Industry VF-5000 StarMirage

4. Shinsei Industry VF-11 Thunderbolt II

5. Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1 Valkerie

yf-21 is more advanced but look how primitive the face is. Its so ugly that it knows it so the designer purposely hides it in a hoodie. Like the vf-11b head, it has no style. I understand robots are supposed to be functional, but a ball with an eyeball in the centre smack of laziness. Not one of the zentradi's best decisions if they want to impress the military.

In contrast, this is what I like most about the 11 and the 21. The face looks purely utilitarian, even intimidating on the 21. It kind of sells the design as though looking cool has absolutely nothing to do with its performance, as long as it gets the job done. Now I also like the other style of faces, especially on the 0S and the 17, but I think it looks wholly out of place on the VF-22. I'll meet you partway, though - I don't like how the 0A looks. Although I am interested to see if there'll be a 25"A" variant.

The VF-17D and now maybe the VF-171 are my favourites.

I also love the YF-19, VF-22, VF-0A/S, VF-2SS w/SAP, VF-11B/C & VF-5000.

The SV-51 and VF-25 are also really growing on me.

Somebody should start a least favorite VF poll. :D. My least favorite would be the VF-9 Cutlass and Metal Siren. I find them hideous in all 3 modes.

Graham

From what I hear the VF-171 is a new Variable Fighter in Macross Frontiers. So is the VF-171 a totally new fighter or is it a more Advanced version of the VF-17 Nightmare?

It's similarity strongly suggests it's just a more advanced variant of the VF-17. It's definitely not a completely new design. Think of it like the differences between the YF-19/VF-19A and the later production models like the VF-19F and VF-19S.

It's similarity strongly suggests it's just a more advanced variant of the VF-17. It's definitely not a completely new design. Think of it like the differences between the YF-19/VF-19A and the later production models like the VF-19F and VF-19S.

Thanks for answering that question,I kinda figured it was a more advanced VF-17!

I answered a question in the newbie thread with a little picture that I think you'll like VF-7000. I'll repost it here for you:

vf19a-and-vf22.gif

It's the VF-19A and the VF-22. They'll be in the next update later this month, but I hope you enjoy this little sneak preview :)

Edited by Mr March

I've always like the concept of a purely space based anti-capital ship fighter that was the Metal Siren, but it's ultimate design was sad. I would love to see how Kawamori would design it...

Isn't that what the Stampede Valk is?

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%20GA/sdp-1.htm

(note: I'm aware that link isn't to the Compendium, but... needs pics! 'Sides, the Compendium doesn't HAVE a Stampede entry, so it's a moot point. :p )

Interestingly, that's one of my complaints on the VF-1A and VF-11. Ugly heads. Though the DYRL-style 1A head is much improved, it's still pretty nasty.

The YF-21 face.... I like it, actually. The secondary windows give it a bit of visual interest that the 1A-style face lacks.

The YF-19 face gets into the over-humanized realm. It's starting to look less like a robot and more like Robocop.

For what it's worth, my favorite VF-1 head is the 1J.

I love the cyclops eye headed grunt variable fighters. Love the DYRL VF-1A, the VF-11B (the 11C makes me sad), and the VF-0A. I do prefer the VF-22 with its visor over the YF-21 multi eye face thing. Hate the TV series VF-1A head though.

I love the cyclops eye headed grunt variable fighters. Love the DYRL VF-1A, the VF-11B (the 11C makes me sad), and the VF-0A. I do prefer the VF-22 with its visor over the YF-21 multi eye face thing. Hate the TV series VF-1A head though.

What's wrong with the VF-11C? The head is the same as the VF-11B. Personally, I prefer the overall color scheme of the VF-11C to the VF-11B. I really like the white with black trim and blue/green FPs. I've been bugging Yamato to realease a VF-11C forever.

Graham

I'm also a fan of the utilitarian looking heads. the DYRL variant of the VF-1A is my favourite version of the VF-1 series. Funny what a difference a few changes can make, the tv variant of the 1A is my least favourite. I also appreciate the head design for the VF-11 and the YF-21. I disagree that the 19 is "overhumanized" though, unless you're talking the VF-19Kai. The VF-19P is my favourite version, probably not coincidence that it also has the cyclops thing going on.

VF-7000 Thunderhawk is my forum name,"Dude" !

IF the VF-7000 was a real VF mecha in the Macross universe, it would be Black Spec Ops VF mecha. It would be superior to any VF mecha ever made including the new VF-25. :D

Any further inquiries on this Highy Top Secret VF mecha will be met with extermination. :lol::D

lol... i was referring to the YF-21 how your saying it was a failure, but nevermind.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hey, does anybody know who designed the Stampede? I'm assuming it's not Kawamori.

Anyway, I love all the VF's, and the VF-1 will always be my first love, but I have to give props to the VF-4. It's got the most mystique of any variable fighter, since it only appeared in animation briefly in fighter mode. Also, if you can put yourself in the mindset of watching Flashback 2012 when it came out, when the only VF was the VF-1, and seeing the VF-4 for the first time, you can imagine the excitement you'd feel. "Holy S---! A new fighter! Wait, does it transform?" We were left with a mystery. And since the VF-4 has never been seen in animation since, it's kept most of it's mystique. (Yeah, I know it's been seen in video games. But it's not the same.)

Also, it's one of very few VF's that hasn't existed in toy form.

Hmmm. I bet the Flashback toy license isn't that expensive. C'mon Yamato! Although, I'd hate to see how fat it would end up as a toy (YF-19 gullet syndrome?).

Hey, does anybody know who designed the Stampede? I'm assuming it's not Kawamori.

Kawamori did draw the Stampede. It's his design; hence why it was included in his Macross Design Works. Also, JBO provided a link to the Stampede Valkyire on my website, which clearly labels Shoji Kawamori as the creator. Here's the link again:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%20GA/sdp-1.htm

What's wrong with the VF-11C? The head is the same as the VF-11B. Personally, I prefer the overall color scheme of the VF-11C to the VF-11B. I really like the white with black trim and blue/green FPs. I've been bugging Yamato to realease a VF-11C forever.

Graham

Nothing is wrong with the VF-11C design (or the head). I'm just sad for it because of the role it was relegated to in Macross 7. Splodey target. That and the Pink Pecker squad... :p Hope that clarified what I meant.

I like the color scheme of the VF-11C and the same head design as the 11B. I also like that gunpod, even if it's not as beefy and mean looking.

Well danth, the VF-4 appeared in Macross Digital Mission VFX, showing off its battroid mode for the first time (love it or hate it, I love it). It also briefly appeared in the Macross 7 Trash manga, drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto. Damn, that man can draw! :D Not to mention it was available for use in Macross M3, and the PS2 Macross game. I just wish it had been included in VFX2. That's another thing that pissed me off about the VA-3, it replaced the VF-4 in what turned out to be an awesome game.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Hmmm. I bet the Flashback toy license isn't that expensive. C'mon Yamato! Although, I'd hate to see how fat it would end up as a toy (YF-19 gullet syndrome?).

I can safely say that if this ever occurred I would buy at least one of every single variant they'd release, assuming of course they did a halfway decent job with it. I'd be less inclined if it wound up being as fragile as the original VF-11, and as floppy as the M0 Vallkyries. Though, even then, I'd have to have one at least. Maybe one to display in each mode. c__c

Kawamori did draw the Stampede.
Ahh, good, so I don't have to feel guilty for liking it. :D

Well danth, the VF-4 appeared in Macross Digital Mission VFX, showing off its battroid mode for the first time (love it or hate it, I love it). It also briefly appeared in the Macross 7 Trash manga, drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto. Damn, that man can draw! :D Not to mention it was available for use in Macross M3, and the PS2 Macross game. I just wish it had been included in VFX2. That's another thing that pissed me off about the VA-3, it replaced the VF-4 in what turned out to be an awesome game.
So you're saying that there are a number of possibly cheap licenses that would include the VF-4. As for Trash, do you recommend it? Is it scanlated?

I can safely say that if this ever occurred I would buy at least one of every single variant they'd release, assuming of course they did a halfway decent job with it. I'd be less inclined if it wound up being as fragile as the original VF-11, and as floppy as the M0 Vallkyries. Though, even then, I'd have to have one at least. Maybe one to display in each mode. c__c
Yeah, the VF-4 rocks that much. I think one reason it's so cool is because it truly looks like a trans-atmospheric craft. It looks like a jet aircraft and like a starfigher.

Anyway, I love all the VF's, and the VF-1 will always be my first love, but I have to give props to the VF-4. It's got the most mystique of any variable fighter, since it only appeared in animation briefly in fighter mode. Also, if you can put yourself in the mindset of watching Flashback 2012 when it came out, when the only VF was the VF-1, and seeing the VF-4 for the first time, you can imagine the excitement you'd feel. "Holy S---! A new fighter! Wait, does it transform?" We were left with a mystery. And since the VF-4 has never been seen in animation since, it's kept most of it's mystique. (Yeah, I know it's been seen in video games. But it's not the same.)

Also, it's one of very few VF's that hasn't existed in toy form.

When I look at the Shinsei Industry SDP-1 Stampede Valkyrie it looks like a Transforming Gundam, even though it is a variant of the VF-1 Valkerie.

In my opinion it was not made to look pretty it was meant for shipbourne combat, being it is heavily armed to take out the Zentradi's cruisers and battleships. That is something that the VF-1's with Super Packs and Strike Packs couldn't do.

I never really warmed up to the VF-4 even though it was faster and more heavily armed then the VF-1. I compare the VF-4 to the A-7 Corsair there ugly ducklings in my book. But if Yamato or Hasegawa decided to produce the VF-4 I would buy it just to say I have one.

I have nothing negative to say about the head units of the VF mechas. Ugly or not each head unit has there Pros and cons about them and unfortunately some head units are better then others when they are being used in combat. Then you got to realize that the engineers had to figure away to put the cockpit in the head unit along with all the optical equipent. The way I look at the engineers had the design the head unit around the cockpit and Optics and not the other way around.

Edited by VF-7000 THUNDERHAWK

I have nothing negative to say about the head units of the VF mechas. Ugly or not each head unit has there Pros and cons about them and unfortunately some head units are better then others when they are being used in combat. Then you got to realize that the engineers had to figure away to put the cockpit in the head unit along with all the optical equipent. The way I look at the engineers had the design the head unit around the cockpit and Optics and not the other way around.

Ermm....in Macross all the head units act as external optics and sensors....the cockpits don't reside in the head.

I'm also a fan of the utilitarian looking heads. the DYRL variant of the VF-1A is my favourite version of the VF-1 series. Funny what a difference a few changes can make, the tv variant of the 1A is my least favourite. I also appreciate the head design for the VF-11 and the YF-21. I disagree that the 19 is "overhumanized" though, unless you're talking the VF-19Kai. The VF-19P is my favourite version, probably not coincidence that it also has the cyclops thing going on.

I don't see a huge difference between the 19 and 19Kai heads, really. One "just" has a split visor and a mouth drawn on it.

The lines of the YF-19 head in general start making it look like a helmet, IMO.

I admit that as heads go, no mass-produced VF has near the humanizing of the average Gundam, Transformer, or super robot, but...

The lines of the YF-19 head in general start making it look like a helmet, IMO.

It reminds me a bit of patlabor for some reason. The yf-19 would make a great police use robot.

Put some sirens on the shoulders and paint it to look like a police car. Also give it a little revolver. When a criminal tries to fly away it can transform into a fighter and do a police chase like the valks in one of the macross 7 OVAs. Maybe even put a loud speaker on the "mouth" so it can shout at people to stop.

VF-1 by then will be collector's items for rich people who collect planes.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It reminds me a bit of patlabor for some reason. The yf-19 would make a great police use robot.

Put some sirens on the shoulders and paint it to look like a police car. Also give it a little revolver. When a criminal tries to fly away it can transform into a fighter and do a police chase like the valks in one of the macross 7 OVAs.

Like this?

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/pmv/pmv-yf-19-patlabor.htm