Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

The blue and brown VF-25 in fighter mode showed up in last month's issue of Newtype (April 08 issue).

The current issue of NT is May 08. The June issue will be out in about another 8-9 days and it's only the start of April!

See attached pic.

Graham

It makes sense as there are so many homages to SDFM in this series, particularly Michel's blue paint scheme and the fact that he is top of his flight class and resembles Max...

It makes sense as there are so many homages to SDFM in this series, particularly Michel's blue paint scheme and the fact that he is top of his flight class and resembles Max...

Now, whether he's as good as Max...that's yet to be seen. But we know he's the best shooter in the fleet.

Excellent - while I don't completely trust background art, it will be fantastic to see the latest machines make it to "grunt" status for a change. Zero aside, in plus and seven the coolest fighters were the rarest, and the CF mechan were meant to be forgettable. Here, we'll hopefully see the latest machines go into full production for the helpless masses of VF-171 pilots who have so far shown their excellent skills of sucking and dying. :)

Mark

I just want the vf-171 to be the cannon fodder in the same way the vf-11 was the cannon fodder in macross 7. :( Leave the cool stuff to the best pilots just like in SDF:M where the Glaug would stand out from the grunt Regult for example. Or how the VF-22 was very limited in use (only max and miria were seen with them) in mac 7.

But I wouldn't mind if there were a new type of valkyrie later on as the upgrade from the older ones that we see as current at the start of the series. (just no valks with faces again :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm more interested in the valkyrie next to the VF-25 shown in the OP. Can people still say its a "prototype 3D model for VF-25 transformation" now? :p

*gloats*

And whatever valk that is...damn its huge....

post-1640-1207303771_thumb.jpg

Well if we are going with the military contractor thing, it might be a competition between two factions during the war with the Vajira.

If so, this show is not only SDF:M, but a bit of M+ thrown in as well.

It's the class designation, MisaForever. The Macross 25 still appears to be a New Macross Class Colonization Ship (at least as far as we know). Like the Macross 5, 7 and 13 that we see in the Macross 7 anime and the VF-X2 Video Game. The Macross 5 is composed of the Battle 5 and City 5, as is Macross 7 composed of Battle 7 and City 7 and so on.

Hence, in Macross Frontier the whole ship, when docked together, is designated the Macross 25. The transformable ship section islikely still called Battle 25 while the main city section (normally called City 25) seems to have been changed to Island 1.

Now it's possible the "Battle" designation might be dropped or changed (like the "City" designation was changed to "Island"), but for right now I think most fans are comfortable with the established nonmenclature.

Edited by Mr March

It's the class designation, MisaForever. The Macross 25 still appears to be a New Macross Class Colonization Ship (at least as far as we know). Like the Macross 5, 7 and 13 that we see in the Macross 7 anime and the VF-X2 Video Game. The Macross 5 is composed of the Battle 5 and City 5, as is Macross 7 composed of Battle 7 and City 7 and so on.

Hence, in Macross Frontier the whole ship, when docked together, is designated the Macross 25. The transformable ship section islikely still called Battle 25 while the main city section (normally called City 25) seems to have been changed to Island 1.

Now it's possible the "Battle" designation might be dropped or changed (like the "City" designation was changed to "Island"), but for right now I think most fans are comfortable with the established nonmenclature.

Oooooohhh!!! Sou ka..... ok thanks, that makes a lot more sense. ^_^ Oh and check your email, I sent you one regarding your site. :D

I'm *pretty* sure if you watch the Deculture edition closely enough, you'll see it listed as "Battle 25" in one of the launch sequences.

MisaForever

I'm afraid I didn't get it. Send me a PM with the address to which you sent it and we'll talk about there.

DT

Good catch. I guess that makes it official.

Though, I suppose since it's the Deculture Edition and not the final cut, is it official as yet? :) Oh the hurdles us fans must jump! :lol:

Here's a better picture of the Battle 25 from the OP. post-1819-1207317902_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that it does indeed say "Battle 25" in one of the graphics describing the makeup of the Frontier fleet. As to whether or not we'll see it CALLED Battle 25, remains to be seen.

But you know what, guys? I'm not entirely sure that the ship we see in this picture *is* the same ship attached to the front of Island 1, at least from the visual evidence. I don't know if the broadcast episode still shows it, but in the introduction of the Deculture edition the ship we see docked to Island 1 looks very much like a standard New Macross-class carrier, albeit with much more surface detail. Perhaps someone could post a screencap?

The way I see it, the detailing on the colony ship and the one we see here are completely different, especially around the legs. The colony ship also seems to have the standard Macross cannon and the hands of Macross 7, and the title sequence ship instead drops the hands (thank goodness - the whole hands + cannon thing didn't make much sense) and integrates the big gun as part of the right arm (though perhaps not the left, but we'd need a cap of the other shot of this ship in action to decide that). Also, the head is much larger than the CG graphic we see of the colony ship.

While it's still possible that these two ships are one and the same, somehow I'm starting to think that the title ship is not in fact the same ship we see in the anime. They may pull a Konig Monster on us again, though...

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

It does a little, thanks! But the best view of the ship is just before it passes out of view on the left of the screen. However, even here you can see how much it's shaped like Battle 7, and now the details don't match up well at all to the ship we see in the opening. Also, the quick CG view of the colony ship later in the episode shows it to be very Battle7-esque, including the head section which looks nothing at all like what we see here.

Any chance of a screenshot of the OTHER view of the opening ship, with guns-a-blazin'? :)

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

errrrrrr...sorry about changing the topic, don't know if it was answer, don't want to check 26 pages for this

anyone has a problem with the VF-25 cockpit?? seems a bit lowtech and a downgrade from previews VF's, I mean, from the YF-19 forward, all the cockpits had the nifty full view screen, as well as the VF-17, so why would the VF-25 just have the classic 20th century cockpit with just the canopy view????

any ideas!?

It does seem to be an omission. Perhaps it has something to do with the X-gear interface and armor. Maybe the helmet makes up with the 360-degree view somehow?

On the flipside, the VF-25 seems to have no problem projecting reticles and communication screens on the inside of the transparent canopy (i.e. not a dedicated monitor). I don't think any other Valkyrie has had this ability...

Mark

It might just be neglected for the VF-25 because the angles shown so far didn't emphasize the lower portions of the cockpit. In those shots that did show the inside, it was important to emphasize the X-Gear system and draw the viewers attention to that rather than the exterior outside the cockpit. The VF-25 is shown utilizing extensive interior holographic systems inside the VF-25 cockpit, so these could be a replacement system or supplemental.

It's also important to note the VF-171 is shown with the wrap-around imaging monitor system in the cockpit. Several shots show this clearly.

I think the VF-25 might have the wrap-around monitors, they just haven't been shown yet.

Edited by Mr March

On the flipside, the VF-25 seems to have no problem projecting reticles and communication screens on the inside of the transparent canopy (i.e. not a dedicated monitor). I don't think any other Valkyrie has had this ability...

Mark

Many VFs have had the holographic HUD ability, displaying info on the inside of the canopy. Ones that have been shown to have it IIRC are VF-1 (DYRL), VF-11B (M+), YF-19 (M+).

Graham

I'm *pretty* sure if you watch the Deculture edition closely enough, you'll see it listed as "Battle 25" in one of the launch sequences.

I remember it being designated as the "M25", not "Battle 25".

I'm more interested in the valkyrie next to the VF-25 shown in the OP. Can people still say its a "prototype 3D model for VF-25 transformation" now? :p

*gloats*

And whatever valk that is...damn its huge....

I am probably wrong but that appears to be 3 aircraft. Look closely at the forward canards and youll see it is looks like a VF-25 aircraft above another vf-25 nose section but it cant be a vf-25 with fastpacks as the wing tips look different. So right now i am downloading the raw of episode 1 (not the deculture edition) off the net and will look at the opening then to see it.

EDIT: well after downloading the file it definately isnt three planes and your right. But they do share alot of body proportions and features so it may be a VF-25 variant of an enemy knockoff model.

Edited by Sorata

That burgundy fighter looks like the SV-51. It's got the forward facing canards near the canopy, the long nose, similar wing shape minus the boosters and the same style feet/ vector vanes. It might be the New Anti New United Nations fighter. Lol.

Judging from the opening, looks like Battle 25 is armed with Macross Cannon on the right arm, although the back structure could also function as one. The design reminds me of one of battle 7 design concept done by Miyatake.

One interesting note, the arm on new battle 25 seems to be designed to be able to perform Daedalus maneuver <_< .

What excites me is that with the appearance of Battle 25 in attacker mode means there will be large fleet battle with Vajra main fleet :ph34r:

I remember it being designated as the "M25", not "Battle 25".

No, definitely Battle 25. You can see it at around 11:09 in the DE, right after the "Shell" graphic.

Edited by Duke Togo

No, definitely Battle 25. You can see it at around 11:09 in the DE, right after the "Shell" graphic.

hi, been lurking for a while. actually, you're both correct. city area is named Battle 25, and the macross class ship up front is called M25. will try to post screenshot once i get home. :)

edit:

oops, i guess i was wrong with Battle 25. here are the screencaps:

m25.jpg

shows "macross 25"

frontier.jpg

and here it shows "frontier"

dunno if battle 25 (connected to macross quarter & frontier) is actually pointing to the city area. oh well. :p

Edited by kamotekid

Well it could be that now they are starting to name the Colony sections now (except for the external modules from City 7 and the ones trailing behind Frontier has a lot of anyone can back me up on this?).

In macross & macross 7 they called it just plain Macross City and City 7 simple i guess...They might not be to big on naming their colony's until find plants is my best guess.

dunno if battle 25 (connected to macross quarter & frontier) is actually pointing to the city area. oh well. :p

I don't think so, if you look at the design. I don't think they'd call the city section "Battle 25". I would think the "Frontier" is the name of the entire thing, while its designation is the "Macross 25". For example, "Macross 25, Frontier" and "Macross 21, Galaxy".

Well, it'c clear they are both embracing and diverting from the established nomenclature. The new ship is still labelled Macross 25, like Macross 5 or 7, but it's also called "Frontier" (perhaps as an homage back to SDF-1 "Macross"). The carrier itself is appropriately designated Battle 25, but what should be called City 25 has been completely dropped in favor of "Island 1." A bit of the old and some of the new; a theme likely to be seen throughout Macross Frontier.

The carrier itself is appropriately designated Battle 25, but what should be called City 25 has been completely dropped in favor of "Island 1."

It's hard to say without specific dimensions, but maybe Battle 25 is still a New Macross-class vessel, if refit (like the difference between the TOS show Enterprise and movie Enterprise), but if Island 1 is much larger than previous City ships, it might be considered a new class.

I don't think so, if you look at the design. I don't think they'd call the city section "Battle 25". I would think the "Frontier" is the name of the entire thing, while its designation is the "Macross 25". For example, "Macross 25, Frontier" and "Macross 21, Galaxy".

Actually the whole colony ship is called the M-Frontier according to the icon in the emigration sequence.

I don't doubt that the Battle / Carrier section is called both M-25 and Battle 25. It is entirely possible that both refer to different configurations of the same ship. the M-25 being the carrier while the Battle 25 could be the Attacker mode.

The Frontier must be the name of the collected modules, including M-25 and all the Islands attached to Island 1.