Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Mecha-wise, looks very good.

VF-25s... Wow, they can pack a lot of "stuff". (Armor, missiles, four extra engines. Excessive, but very neat.)

Character-wise... Ranka Lee... Two words: Too young. And the concert... Too fan-service. Oh, and Alto's hair... Too long. :p

Yeah, I'm picky.

Oh, and it would be nice if I knew what they were saying. :p

~Luke

Just started watching the ep, so more comments later.

However, based on that 2ch pic posted earlier, I'm absolutely loving the look of the VF-171s and the Ozama's grey armoured VF-25. I so want Yamato 1/60 scale toys of thse.

So it definitely looks like there are two separate forces, the NUNS (New UN Spacy?) and SMS. NUNS is a somewhat unfortunate choice of acronym IMO. "Nuns in space' anyone Heh Heh. Well, as the Ivanov SV-51 was often referred to as the "Space Pop" by members here, I guess we can have space Nuns as well.

Grahams

Guys I have something very important to say, I thought I was not going to live to see 08 or the rest of my life due to a private and nightmare'ish medical condition that I have workd hard to over come, hell I remember when it first happen'd all I can think about was trying to see the first episode of macross f, and thank god I just did, things are good now and I am going to make it. just watching macross f makes me feel so alive and full of such energy. My birthday is on the 31st so I guess that gives me a reason to be even more happy. But I feel as if I just did something paramount just by fighting to stay alive to watch macross f, even though there the other stuff in life I am suppose to enjoy, but then again macross is my life ^_^ . I just thought I should share

Well.. that certainly was a nice first episode!

Above my own expectations for sure.

I loved all the nods, easter egss

(you can travel to Satelight studios via starship?

:p)

and other references all around.

Looks like Kawamori came full circle with his love/hate relationship with Macross.

Let's just hope the entire series pans out to be as strong as this episode indicated.

I think Ranka thought Alto was a girl when she first saw him. Or my Japanese is just bad. She said, "Wow, so pretty...". If I were him, I'd be pissed (and I'd cut my hair). The rest of his mates are also picking on him because of this.

Yeah that's what I thought as well actually - it's kinda weird really even though I don't speak I felt I understood more than I thought I would.

Oh and I really liked the music too ! It felt it was very reminiscent of Macross Plus at times.

-Sergorn

Spoilery obvious question:

Why didn't they close the armored dome over the colony when they had the first valk go missing? Or the next dozen drones? Or when they sent out the VF-25's?

M7 did it several times IIRC, and it didn't seem to require some 25-min preparation sequence or something.

Spoilery obvious question:

Why didn't they close the armored dome over the colony when they had the first valk go missing? Or the next dozen drones? Or when they sent out the VF-25's?

M7 did it several times IIRC, and it didn't seem to require some 25-min preparation sequence or something.

That's the first thing I thought, too

SHELL DOWN!!!

I gotta say, I love that S+M outfit that Sheryl was wearing. lol at the whip mic

can't wait to see more

Wow....... just had to chime in and share the sentiment that this looked to be an excellent first episode - of course, tough to say for sure without understanding the language, but I love what I'm seeing so far.

In particular, I definitely agree about the quality of the animation - it does seem incredible to see this level of detail in TV animation.

Overall, I'm just excited to know a new Macross TV series is coming, and it's great to get to see this first episode.

-Elektrix

Yeah that's what I thought as well actually - it's kinda weird really even though I don't speak I felt I understood more than I thought I would.

Oh and I really liked the music too ! It felt it was very reminiscent of Macross Plus at times.

-Sergorn

It does make sense - it is always interesting I think when Yoko Kanno gets to play with themes established in a previous series. Just thinking about her follow up soundtracks for Ghost in the Shell, the Cowboy Bebop and Turn A Gundam movies, etc.

I personally can't wait to buy her Macross F albums (and hope for 3 or 4 albums worth of music).

It does make sense - it is always interesting I think when Yoko Kanno gets to play with themes established in a previous series. Just thinking about her follow up soundtracks for Ghost in the Shell, the Cowboy Bebop and Turn A Gundam movies, etc.

Yeah it's neat. It create some sort of sense of familiarity - that pretty much goes for the whole episode though... there's a real sense of familiarity with the previous series, while at the same time being different enough to get its own feel.

It's gonna be four long month... (oh well I survived the long wait between Macross Zero episodes, I'll survive this)

-Sergorn

Let me count the homages!

--Brief history of the Zentradie War where we see Bodolza's fortress, Breetai, Misa, Hikaru, Minmay and Roy briefly. Followed by a history of coloniziation where we see that the Megaroad 4 colonized Eden (The planet from Macross plus).

--When the pilots are practicing with the exoskeletal suits they make the same hand gesture that Isamu made in Macross plus when he was image training for his flight.

--The bridge is similar in look and feel to the SDF-1s

--We see the same street cleaning robot that was shown in Macross Do You remember Love? as well as the very persistent juice machine robots from Macross 7

--The singer says "Atashi no Uta o kike!" before her concert, Basara always said "Ore no Uta o Kike!"

--The concert being interupted by the battle and ensuing panic is almost frame for frame a match with Minmay's concert being disrupted in Do You Remember Love? And her being pulled away at the end is the same as Kaifun pulling her away.

--A Valkyrie in Hikaru colors persues the enemy inside the ship just like Hikaru did against orders in DYRL.

--A (relatively) inexperienced pilot, finds himself at the controls of the Valkyrie just like Hikaru in Macross TV.

--the pilot then in Gerwalk mode dumps what seems to be the whole contents of his gunpod into the enemy unit to save the pretty school aged girl. Just like in Macross TV.

--Ending theme is Ai Oboeteimasuka

Did I miss any? the whole episode rocked hard, and the ending sent shivers down my spine... was the last verse taken from Mari's original recording? it kinda sounded like it... but Nakajima Ai, did a great job too.

Omg this special rocked

Wow!

It looks like all the colony ships are connected and appear to be named after major cities, San Francisco, Shibuya ETC.

Love the Mecha, Love it, the CG really allows for better colorization. Kind of reminds me of Sol Bianca.

It's nice to finally see better views of the Algenicus style vessels.

Looks like the Bugs are really gonna be a problem, and they also remind me of an EVA at least head wise.

Did I miss any? the whole episode rocked hard, and the ending sent shivers down my spine... was the last verse taken from Mari's original recording? it kinda sounded like it... but Nakajima Ai, did a great job too.

This is a special director's cut of the episode so I expect the full opening and ending themes to come when this episode re-airs in spring.

I was very surprised at the high quality of the animation for a TV series. I am very impressed.

I LOVE the part where Sheryl starts "Don't be late" coinciding with the launch of the VF-171s

. Satelite improved a lot since Macross Zero, and even Aquarion.

I like how the flight suit interfaces with the cockpit of the VF-25. SMS definitely has a skull team/squadron, as Ozma announces their presence upon arrival in the battle.

I wonder where the wings of the VF-25 go when they have the huge armor set on(the one on Ozma's). There seemed to be 4 wings on the armor itself.

The VF-25 looks very graceful in flight. What a beaut. I'm interested in seeing how the story turns out. Theres tension from the start. The VF-171 looks excellent too.

Btw, for some freeze-frame fun, check out the English screen text around 16:20.

I was going to bring this up, at the top of the screen it has some jibberish about Rockstar Energy drink. LOL

There are a lot of cool freeze frame moments, some of the 3D tactical readouts are just incedible the one around 11:04 shows half a dozen ship names and classes. One clearly shows that the main colony ship is indeed the New Macross 25, and the smaller pill shaped ships are "Island 1", "Island 2", etc. The same readout shows the status of the colony's pinpoint barrier system among other things.

The sheer attention to detail is astounding.

Some more thoughts:

I see the Macross Galaxy now in the "Immigration Fleet" sequence... is it just me, or are they fairly close to the Galaxy core?

Watching it again, in the HD release, the NUNS insignia does indeed look like the Zentradi one, but in UNS colors (and rounded).

Is it just me, or did the VF-25 fire homing lasers?

And the Ghosts! Very sweet!

Edited by Duke Togo

Some more thoughts:

I see the Macross Galaxy now in the "Immigration Fleet" sequence... is it just me, or are they fairly close to the Galaxy core?

Watching it again, in the HD release, the NUNS insignia does indeed look like the Zentradi one, but in UNS colors (and rounded).

Is it just me, or did the VF-25 fire homing lasers?

And the Ghosts! Very sweet!

i am sure they are closer to the galactic core than earth is, however the galaxy is HUGE. until we see some legend/key/scale on the map, we won't really know for sure. i think i have read somewhere that they are heading "towards the core" or "near the core" but i doubt we will ever clearly know. prolly just some vague "near the core" statement.

i am hoping this isn't the same region megaroad 1 went in before disappearing. ;_;

Edited by scottrossi

More...I must have more!

yeah, easily one of the best Macross episodes ive seen in a long time. I love the CG and the whole look of it. Even those glider things were pretty cool. Im tryin not to give anythin away but this just flat out rocks!

Yes, I forsee Yamato and Hasegawa making HUGE $$$ off of Macross F for toys and models.

GRAHM I bet you were on the edge of your seat hoping the vf-17's would transform lol

here's a theory from observation, those bugs seemed to be more mechanical could it be possible that there just suits of some kind, just the i.q they had was more than what a bug could have. my money is on them being some kind of bio/mechanical suits. what do you guys think

Edited by deadghost

I can see the "Yellow Dancer" likeness.

:D

I hate the character design, but how his rather feminine appearance becomes both a joke and unwanted character trait.

Props on the writers for how they used it to their advantage and making Alto into a likeable hero. I dub him "Blue Dancer" from now on. :p

i am sure they are closer to the galactic core than earth is, however the galaxy is HUGE. until we see some legend/key/scale on the map, we won't really know for sure. i think i have read somewhere that they are heading "towards the core" or "near the core" but i doubt we will ever clearly know. prolly just some vague "near the core" statement.

i am hoping this isn't the same region megaroad 1 went in before disappearing. ;_;

Well, it's the core of something alright.

It looks like a typical map representation of the Milky Way, considering the multiple spiraling arms and Earth's location.

Pretty much an exact fit, I reckon:

http://www.terremoto.ca/images/milky_way.jpg

Edit: That pic compares pretty well with the map shown at 2:15 in the episode.

To me it only confirms my suspicion that it is meant to tie in with M:0 and Megaroad 01's fate.

The design of the aliens if similar in nature if not form to "Tori no Hito."

I suspect the main story setup might lend a bit from new BSG and Gunbuster.

As for the dome taking long to close, it's a friggen huge ship!.. The forces and momentums involved are enormous.

If the dome closed fast it would likely warp the entire ship apart and spin it out of control.

The commander isn't excused for not issuing the order from the start though. However, even so it wouldn't change the outcome if he had. ;)

P.S.

Some more nods that aren't mentioned before:

- Paper plane takes off just like the YF-21, QF-2001 Ghost and VF-0 do on their first launching sequence.

- The VF-1 is represented as of the emblem of the flight school entrance.

- The gate guard fighter is the same non transforming type Roy flew in before the VF-0 became his mount: F-203 Dragon.

Edited by T.V.