Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

I think both of the pics are of the 1/72.......I saw other galleries and the grey VF-25S was listed as one of the 1/72 models. Also, is it confirmed that the 1/72 models are MG?

I agree that that's just the Ozuma's VF-25 1/72 kit. I hope that it uses MG tech.

Well shoot fire! Been away for two days and look what happens!

That 1/72 MG looks fantastic!

Stoked on the Vajra.

Also hope that pic of the Chogokin DX is just a bad angle because it looks bad. Not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad.

Man, none of these valks (with the exception of Zero) from the other Macross projects do it for me. They look like insects or something. The realism and grit that we loved with the old-school VF's are nowhere to be found...

Anyways...

Was there ever a toy for the VF in Macross II? I know the movie sucked, but that valk looked pretty sweet.

As much as I'd love to see Yamato have a shot at the 1/60 toys, cus' we know the detail would be good, and they would make all variations. I'm pretty confident that Bandai will do a pretty good job with their 1/60. Just hope they release more than the Aolto and Ozma versions though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 1/60 Bandai DX battroid photo shown. It's probably of a very early concept model and I bet the oddly shaped groin will be changed for the final version.

Graham

People are throwing the term "Master Grade" around, but is there any confirmation that this is indeed an MG kit?

Graham

I doubt its MG level of quality, it looks more like one of those 1/100 no-scale HG Gundam models.

I will get 4 of these though if they are cheap enough, Ozma, Alto, Luca and Mikhail. Too bad it doesn't look like they come with FP's or armor.

Graham, You have a way of alleviating my fears. I bet Bandai will come out with all of the major versions of the vf-25. All you have to do is look at the Evangelion toys for proof of that. Bandai has mastered the art form of making you buy the same toy over and over. I hope that there is a decent time between releases of the 1/60 line, so our wallets have time to refresh.

So far I like what I see.

Edited by Golden Arms

So this 1/72 VF-25 is a perfect transform model ?

Anybody know if its a snapfit, pre-colored kit like most gundam kits are ?

Yes, they are perfect transformation model kits; at least that's what they're claiming.

Given Bandai's other model kits it is safe to assume these Macross Frontier ones will use the same standard treatment:

1. snap fit construction which is not bad judging by how good they've gotten at this type of assembly; besides, you can always glue.

2. colored sprue trees (even the multi-color multi-gated variety)... great for a quick, decent build for those looking for instant gratification; but you can always prime and paint for a better finish.

3. a PS, ABS, and PVC mix of materials.

4. foil stickers and dry tranfer decals... to the ever lasting derision of every serious model builder.

Edited by mechaninac

Okay after looking at other pics yes the gray prototype is the 1/60 version. I hope that it is just for show and they plan on making a whole lot more improvements on it. If not then yes Yamato has them beat

Those models are still rough casts, I wouldn't worry too much. I would almost put them down as hand shaped, from the irregular surfaces. The parts are completely without shine, and completely unlike any kit I've ever seen bandai produce. Unless someone did a craptastic job painting the thing with a giant brush, that's still a rapid prototype version (looks almost like it's carved out of wood :p), and not anything like what an injection molded kit will look like. The sheer amount of small details missing on the kit is kind of a giveaway.. for example, no upper intake vents, top leg details in fighter mode, or other fine details like rivets, scribed lines, etc, something I've never seen a bandai kit have any trouble with.

Edited by Chronocidal

Those models are still rough casts, I wouldn't worry too much. I would almost put them down as hand shaped, from the irregular surfaces. The parts are completely without shine, and completely unlike any kit I've ever seen bandai produce. Unless someone did a craptastic job painting the thing with a giant brush, that's still a rapid prototype version (looks almost like it's carved out of wood :p), and not anything like what an injection molded kit will look like. The sheer amount of small details missing on the kit is kind of a giveaway.. for example, no upper intake vents, top leg details in fighter mode, or other fine details like rivets, scribed lines, etc, something I've never seen a bandai kit have any trouble with.

I know that's a prototype. i'm talking about the overall proportions. Completely off, the 1/72 is a squat little monkey while the animation has the vf-25 as lanky and lean. Just look at the head, reminds me of the yamato 1/60 vf-1s... all squished and flat and the torso is way too squat.

Edited by eugimon

Honnestly, i preffer to model to be Master Grade inner frame quality, and not transformable, as that may compromise the model perfection. For a fully transformable one, lets be honnest, we all want a toy from Bandai, not a model. Models are not meant to be played with too much, and its not really fun transforming them, like a toy. So please, made some nice robot mode (adding extra armor and stuff is fine though) and make those inner frames, and make it similar sizing to gundams. For perfect transforming, stick to a toy, like Yamato does.

For perfect transforming, stick to a toy, like Yamato does.

They are, thats what the 1/60 DX is.

I have a feeling Bandai will pull an Imai and give us both variable 1/72 parts swapping models, 1/72 single mode, more realistic/accurate models, and finally a 1/72 MG series.

I see the DX line having at least Luca, Alto, Ozma, and Michel's VF-25s, as well as VF-27 and VF-171. I see the 1/100 line having even more.

Okay after looking at other pics yes the gray prototype is the 1/60 version. I hope that it is just for show and they plan on making a whole lot more improvements on it. If not then yes Yamato has them beat

No it's not. There's a sign saying it's a 1/72 in the picture I posted on the last page. There is no official news that these are MG kits. Their recent HGUC kits have gotten a lot better too. I would assume that it'd be something between a HG and a MG. Fighters in this scale will probably not have a full internal frame. Just the legs maybe.

Edited by badboy00z

They are, thats what the 1/60 DX is.

I have a feeling Bandai will pull an Imai and give us both variable 1/72 parts swapping models, 1/72 single mode, more realistic/accurate models, and finally a 1/72 MG series.

I see the DX line having at least Luca, Alto, Ozma, and Michel's VF-25s, as well as VF-27 and VF-171. I see the 1/100 line having even more.

and... as we all know Bandai has many divisions on their company, for sure they will not stick on kits alone ;)

e.g. Tamashii which handels the DX's and maybe someday it will have a "blue seal" HCM-pro. Non-Transforming figs will be handeled by Banpresto and additional/optional parts will be on B-club. :wacko: All under Bandai's roof