Ride Armor Comparison

eriku

Received the Stick version today. Ouch, that thing is small and a pain to transform! Nice display piece though.

Question : what are the 2 very tiny rectangular pieces bagged with the support stick for?

And do you guys store all the extra hands and accessories in the bike's compartments? They all fit in pretty well and they're always on hand when you need them.

Edited by Dr. Z

You know, I'd almost bet that MH paid Toynami to display their products to give it a little extra hype after the CM one came out and didn't get good reviews (in general). It wouldn't surprise me at all if Toynami has ZERO intention of selling these domestically and even if they do, the $10 or so I'd save isn't enough to make me cancel my Early Bird HLJ Stick/Scott pre-order.

jenius > very detailed review and nice pix ^_^

the headlights were in sensor mode for both of my CM's too.

BTW, Rey Ray Ley Lay there's no saying which is the right one because the original name is written in japanese. There's no official english name. i thought most japanese anime fan would've gotten used to it... ;)

Edited by Shun

Thanks for the compliments guys. Shun, I hear you, it's just sometimes a name seems like it should be obvious and "Ray" is one of those times. Then again, when the main character's name is "Stick" or "Stig" I guess "Ley" might make sense.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Shun, I hear you, it's just sometimes a name seems like it should be obvious and "Ray" is one of those times. Then again, when the main character's name is "Stick" or "Stig" I guess "Ley" might make sense.

From you site:

"The packaging is a bit annoying in the difference between the two boxes appears to only be a red(Stick) or green(Ley) square on the front. Also, wasn’t his name Ray? At any rate, the toy comes with some extras, namely a green plastic twig meant to be a display stand (taped to the back of the tray as pictured below), some replacement locks for the metal bars (that’s the pieces with the stand), and some tiny storage bins like the ones always shown falling off the bike when it transformed in the show. Stick’s toy also comes with a separate hand holding his big rifle which is a bummer to me since the rifle can’t be removed and put on the front of the bike (like Scott does in The Shadow Chronicles). Also, if Stick has that extra why doesn’t Rand have a hand holding a Gallant? The twig-like “stand” does a half-decent job but a real stand could have added a lot to the range of cool poses that could have been done. As it is this stand is more a neccessity than an extra as the toy is rather back-heavy in armor mode. Decals aren’t necessary but the instructions definitely are. Too bad we don’t get extra helmetless heads to swap on."

This sounds more like whining than a review. Also you might want to stick to the appropriate reference point, these are Mospeada toys and NOT Robotech toys. Anything that occured in the Shadow Chronicles should remain there an not pertain to these renditions.

Just how does the CMs figure compare to the Gakken? It doesn't, the Gakken is definitely in a league of it's own.

My two cents.

Also you might want to stick to the appropriate reference point, these are Mospeada toys and NOT Robotech toys.

LOL, now that sounds like whining to me! Just playing, duly noted, but I've always said I'm not a stickler or a purist. I didn't want to say that you should be able to attach it like Stick does in the show because, for the life of me, I can't remember that actually happening in the original series. It's around in the line art to be sure though and it only makes sense, that doesn't look like the kind of thing you'd want to tote around while trying to maneuver a motorcycle at high speeds. Honestly though, what point exactly sounds like whining to you, the whole paragraph? If you can be more precise maybe I can reword it a bit. I think my criticisms are valid, nearly identical packaging, crappy stand, gun stuck to hand, no comparable Ley gun, no helmetless heads. Maybe I should just present it like that in kind of bulleted fashion?

Pretty much the whole paragraph. IMHO, it would have been nice to make references between lineart and product differences. I understand how dissapointing this toy is, but you haven't given it a chance to demonstrate its short comings when basing knowledge from a show that has no tie in to what CMs was trying to acheive.

If anything, you could remove this paragraph altogether or just add it to you conclusion.

Thanks for hearing me out.

oh well, i guess nightmare has a point regarding mospeada & not robotech references.

anyway, the rifle hard-point is in the original animation too. I hope MH's can be fitted this way but so far no pix of this. Beagle's seem to be possible according to their CAD pix.

mospeadagunhpfx5.th.jpg

As for the box, its really confusing and lazy of them to use the same box, and just a sticker over the name for Rey's box. have seen this comment in several boards/reviews too.

Edited by Shun

Good review. For the price paid they are a rip off, but so far fans of the mecha will probably like it still. Just as people bought 1/72 or 1/60 vf-1 toys that weren't perfect. (cracking of hips etc)

Hopefully CMs reads it and does something about the cracking of windshields and other issues. (better stands, more heads, ability to have the gun seperate from the hand.)

Good review. Despite the score, I don't see it as negative overall. All the toy's limitations are due to size and I can well live with that. The one I have is tight and it stays put together perfectly. It's really a fun little piece. And I guess I'm not outraged by the price since I'm used to buy much more expensive toys. And luckily, the broken windscreen can easily be fixed (mine was already broken IN the box).

Edited by Dr. Z

I hope CMs makes a second run with improvements. If they fixed the non spinning wheels (and all the other little flaws) and revised the asking price , I'd probably get a set.

Honestly, I think the price should be right around $25 from the reviews I've read. That's about as much as I'd be willing to pay for one of those things.

Honestly, I think the price should be right around $25 from the reviews I've read. That's about as much as I'd be willing to pay for one of those things.

Good luck with that. CM's is not a big company and such molds are expensive to develop. And even if Bandai was to do one, I don't think it would be that much cheaper.

I think $39.99 would be a completely fair price. At $39.99 I would feel completely comfortable paying for what I got. Since the price I paid is much closer to double that I was let down but I'm still happy I have them.

I think the same if they were around the $40.00 mark then not a problem, but your looking at almost $100.00 Australian with shipping to get just one. I just think it's a little to expensive.

these toy companies have yet to figure out that if they sell it for less, they can sell a lot more of them.

if these were $40, just about everyone here would've picked up at least one but with the current(mostly negative)reviews from here to japan, these are going to fail and other toy companies might not take the chance of releasing their own version of the ride armor.

of course this is all spectulation but if i were MH, beagle, or toynami and saw how bad the CMs are doing, i'd consider tanking the project. hopefully they'll take CM's ridiculous asking price into consideration before making any rash decisions.

these toy companies have yet to figure out that if they sell it for less, they can sell a lot more of them.

Not necessarily true. It's a niche market and demand for such products might not be as high as you might think. Demand mostly comes from hardcore fans, not from casual buyers or kids.

Not necessarily true. It's a niche market and demand for such products might not be as high as you might think. Demand mostly comes from hardcore fans, not from casual buyers or kids.

Yeah...but there are more of us hardcore fans than there are casual buyers or kids. I mean I'm not a hardcore fan but there are alot of them....I think :huh:

:ph34r: