Bring Hikaru and Misa back !!!???

505thAirborne

Will there ever, ever, ever be a Macross series where we see Hikaru and Misa again with the Megaroad/Frontier Fleet?

I know that Shoji Kawamori and has made sure never to bring them back, But with the constant change in character designs for macross, is it possible for a new company to buy up some copyrights and make a new series?

I know their is the new Macross Frontier series coming up, But I have to tell you the truth, I am a little worried already its gonna be a disappointment, But I have been wrong before... Hopefully I am wrong on this judgment.

What do you all think, should we have a planned series, Just one Big movie where the Hikaru, Misa, Minmei and the VF-4 are all seen again?

To all frontiers, lets hear what you think!!

post-6180-1192638020_thumb.jpg

Short answer: over the Holy Floating Head's dead body. :D

Longer answer: If someone else wanted to do it, even without buying the material from Studio Nue, they PROBABLY could, as Kawamori has nothing more than the author's interest in the show. It's not like George Lucas who could (and did) impose an "because I own it" fiat (e.g. Jar Jar) on to the franchise. If Big West/Studio Nue wanted to, they probably could take control away from Kawamori and tell someone else "we want a Macross series about Hikaru, Minmay and Misa. No Spiritia, no controlling planes with guitars. Back to basics." There might be a lawsuit or two connected with that, but it could happen.

But it just wouldn't be Shoji Kawamori doing it.

Yeah, I think Pat's dead on with this one. As long as Kawamori has controlling interest in Macross, the Hikaru/Misa/Minmay story is over, done and finished.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more than content with the Hikaru/Misa/Minmay story. I see no reason to revist it at all. I do find it rather tiresome when the subject of Hikaru/Misa/Minmay comes up with notice of EVERY new Macross sequel and I'm not really sure what the fixation is with more of their story when the best tale about them has already been written. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for fan enthusiasm and interest in Macross after all these years. But over time I've become more than happy with the original story and really don't want to see more of the same. I'd much rather Kawamori take Macross in a new direction, whether the result is good or not. That's just my opinion.

I do find it rather tiresome when the subject of Hikaru/Misa/Minmay comes up with notice of EVERY new Macross sequel and I'm not really sure what the fixation is with more of their story when the best tale about them has already been written.

I think it's a lot of us old grognards, the same ones who for years kept saying "What's wrong with having William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley back for another go-round as Kirk, Spock and McCoy in a Star Trek series?" who are clamoring for more of H,M,and M. Because for us, they are the Kirk, Spock and McCoy of Macross.

Fair enough. But the Trek analogy isn't working for me; I despise it :):lol:

Well, can't hit 'em all out of the park... :lol::D:D

Fair enough. But the Trek analogy isn't working for me; I despise it :):lol:

There is also the fact that they just up and disappear with an entire fleet, I don't know about anyone else, but I hate being left hanging, they could at least say they accidently folded into the middle of a sun and all died or something.

That or Kawamori has gone totaly howard hughs senile and is completely off his rocker :D It happens LoL As for Hikaru and misa etc, i don't think their post story needs an entire series but it would be nice to hear some refferences as to where they went and what they found. Like in M7, if max was like "Well atleast we didn't end up running in to another zentradi fleet like Hikaru and Misa did on the megaroad 1 expedition." It's cool when there are tie ins between seperate stories going on. Like when the M7 went to hook up with M5 which was entirely made up of zentradi. That would have been a cool story to follow but I don't think it could have made a series. It did however give us enough info to speculate which is cool.

The question should be is there anything new to add to their story? It was a love triangle. Hikaru picked Misa. End of story. Minmay went along with them anyways. Maybe she's a friend with benefits.

Hehe I do have to admit there needs to be more explaination about the Megaroad 1. It was the first colony expedition, there's gotta be a cool story there.

I thought that in M7 they wondered if the Fz-109 was an evolution of the VF-4 and wondered in the Varuta fleet was descendents of the Megaroad 01 Emigration fleet that had disappeared.

There was the rumor in M7 that Basara was Minmay and Hikaru's love child that they must have dumped on some planet, but it was disproved.

Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay already had the spotlight. SDFM, DYRL, and FB2012. We don't need to continue with their characters until death. Which they may already be dead, having been swallowed by a black hole and all...

Longer answer: If someone else wanted to do it, even without buying the material from Studio Nue, they PROBABLY could, as Kawamori has nothing more than the author's interest in the show. It's not like George Lucas who could (and did) impose an "because I own it" fiat (e.g. Jar Jar) on to the franchise. If Big West/Studio Nue wanted to, they probably could take control away from Kawamori and tell someone else "we want a Macross series about Hikaru, Minmay and Misa. No Spiritia, no controlling planes with guitars. Back to basics." There might be a lawsuit or two connected with that, but it could happen.

But it just wouldn't be Shoji Kawamori doing it.

Well Frontier is already close to that being true. He's the supervisor and author of the story.

All the details are being handled by others, similar to how Mac 7 was done. SK has more of a "producer" role if one were to compare it to a Western role. The producer is involved in the production, but not directly, he as "staff" for that.

BW has already made a Macross show without Studio Nue, however with them now sharing author's rights to the franchise, BW would have to buy out Nue's share and that probably won't happen. They need each other too much.

With SK's interests outside of Macross continuing to take precedence, SN & BW will need to be grooming a new story teller for the franchise or at least open up the floor to several new talents to draw from.

SK divorced himself from Macross once already and he could easily do so again, opting to grow the Satelite business instead.

I thought that in M7 they wondered if the Fz-109 was an evolution of the VF-4 and wondered in the Varuta fleet was descendents of the Megaroad 01 Emigration fleet that had disappeared.

The Fz-109s were derivatives of the VF-14 fighters from the Megaroad 13 fleet.

There was the rumor in M7 that Basara was Minmay and Hikaru's love child that they must have dumped on some planet, but it was disproved.

Huh?? :blink:

Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay already had the spotlight. SDFM, DYRL, and FB2012. We don't need to continue with their characters until death. Which they may already be dead, having been swallowed by a black hole and all...

It would be nice to get some reference to their possible fate in future series'...

Edited by Zinjo

The Fz-109s were derivatives of the VF-14 fighters from the Megaroad 13 fleet.

Yes...but, they initially thought the Fz-109s were derivatives from the VF-4 considering the path they were on was in the same direction as Megaroad-01. This was later disproved.

Huh?? :blink:

There was an episode where a tabloid/gossip magazine ran several articles about Fire Bomber. One was that Basara was Minmay/Hikaru's love child. Later it was Gamlin and Basara were secret lovers.....See, even in 2045, there's still the tabloids. <_<

Even though I know voice imitation is relatively easy, I wouldn't want to see a story with Hikaru/Misa/Minmei without Arihiro Hase.

Too true. I'm fine with the fact the PS2 game recasted Kenji Nojima for Hikaru, but for an actual animated feature, no. It would be like recasting Amuro or Char from Gundam. IMO, it won't feel right.

Yes...but, they initially thought the Fz-109s were derivatives from the VF-4 considering the path they were on was in the same direction as Megaroad-01. This was later disproved.

Really? Where was that? I don't remember it...

There was an episode where a tabloid/gossip magazine ran several articles about Fire Bomber. One was that Basara was Minmay/Hikaru's love child. Later it was Gamlin and Basara were secret lovers.....See, even in 2045, there's still the tabloids. <_<

Ah yes, the tabloids, I didn't remember the stories they were running...

People are talking about it, but normally not in a good way, which is unfortunate. When I watched the Series, I was content with the ending. Then I saw FB2012, where they basically kick off a new series. So where is it? New direction in the relationship, new ship, new crew, new VFs, new mission, it's all right there, waiting to be told. And for every fan that says they've had enough of H, M & M, two more want to know more.

I don't have any delusions that this is what the new show will be about. I'm ok with that, so long as they go back to basics. No more of that froggy stuff in M0 and M7. While I don't dislike either of those, neither is anything special. Well, pretty much the entire last episode of M0 can be forgotten. And I haven't been able to bring myself to watch past ~episode 17 of M7 (because the plot only advances 5 minutes per episode; it just plods along).

We'll see.

That's pretty much Kawamori's MO. He's done it with SDFM and Zero. I think he likes ambiguity because it ensures the story is still talked about years later.

Even though I know voice imitation is relatively easy, I wouldn't want to see a story with Hikaru/Misa/Minmei without Arihiro Hase. Since he's dead, I'm happy with what we have.

That's my first thought too when I saw this thread. And wasn't Kawamori pretty good friends with Arihiro Hase, as well?

As for story purposes, I'm cool with what we already know about Hik', Misa, and Minmei. There's so much more potential and other stories yet to tap in the Macross universe that we don't have to limit ourselves to the lives of these three people.

Well I wouldn't mind at all. They went back and told M0 with roy and I wonder how many people said roy's storie was told in SDFM, I'd love a return to the older days again and people love a completed storie even if it was just a movie and not a full series. I think the story of the original cast had more story to it or Flashback 2012 wouldn't have been made IMO. I think that perhaps the answers are comming of what happened to the Megaroad 01 as it's the only loose end with leading characters. Some explanation even in a totally new series would even be nice, saying they just vanished and that's the end seems a little unimaginative unless you want to include them elsewhere in the story or at leased have the option.

Well I wouldn't mind at all. They went back and told M0 with roy and I wonder how many people said roy's storie was told in SDFM, I'd love a return to the older days again and people love a completed storie even if it was just a movie and not a full series. I think the story of the original cast had more story to it or Flashback 2012 wouldn't have been made IMO. I think that perhaps the answers are comming of what happened to the Megaroad 01 as it's the only loose end with leading characters. Some explanation even in a totally new series would even be nice, saying they just vanished and that's the end seems a little unimaginative unless you want to include them elsewhere in the story or at leased have the option.

Actually Mac Zero has huge loose ends, and the loose end in SDFM was created by FB2012... If FB would not have been made for the sake of the fans, the story of SDFM would have ended at the finale of the series...

How about a story about Isamu post-Eden but pre-M+? He's a cool character and a hot-shot pilot. Macross Compendium says all VF-4s were replaced by VF-11s by 2030, but also says the VF-4G was in service in 2047, so basically there's room for two VFs in the show, which would be nice.

Actually Mac Zero has huge loose ends, and the loose end in SDFM was created by FB2012... If FB would not have been made for the sake of the fans, the story of SDFM would have ended at the finale of the series...

Now this is a Great comment Zinjo, Seriously it is.

And as well i will probably catch major hell for this comment, but here goes... One No more talk of Star Trek ok, this is about Macross. And two if you are like me, You grew up with Robotech and the 1984 Macross movie. In 1984 my brothers friend came back from Japan with a copy of DYRL, 6 months later Robotech released. the rest has been history. Now why do I bring up Robotech on a macross forum, simple. At the end of the Robotech New Generation, Scott Bernard flies off to find Admiral Rick Hunter (Hikaru Ichijo). But that was it, left you hanging for some 20 years. Just like Flashback 2012 did.

But now there is the Robotech Shadow Chronicles that is starting to answer alot of questions. And no offense as I am a bigger Macross fan than Robotech. But you do not hear Robotech fans complaining about the old characters coming back. In fact more movies are on the way and their Fan base has never been bigger. (whether you agree with their taste or Not)

I did not add this posting to say that all of Macross series are not good, or that only the Original series should be viewed or that the direction macross is bad. Just that it would be great to have One good real/serious movie, a 6 part OVA. about the Megaroad 01 fleet and what happened to them. Just some simple answers, a good story, adventures and probably a box of tissues at the end.... What the hell is wrong with that!? I like good story telling, Not bogus clues or subtle hints or a never ending mystery. Its been 20 years of questioning, So lets get Sherlock Holmes on this and solve it.

And if Macross Frontier is going to deal with all of this, and answer some questions. Then its a happy time for us all!!

Now for those of you only know Macross because of the toys or seeing 5 minutes of Macross Plus or something, and want to rip me a new one for this, Feel free. I just know that I have been supporting Macross since 1984 and only want to see the best for it.

I totaly agree 505. I got in to macross the same way. I'm a stickler for the "real" versions of everything from sub-cultures to clothes to movies so it was a natural transition. Robotech does cater to what people want to see which is why alot of the production staff for Shadow Cronicles came from the robotech fan scene. It's just a shame that Harmony Gold aka Uncle Scrooge never finishes a series unless it makes them big bucks. New macross series however don't die after 1 pilot. The series is actually finished and shipped and isn't just some lame prototype to test the market. I don't see any slow down in new macross projects, there have been way more of them than robotech projects, so I'm not too worried about them missing anything that the fans want to know about. I can almost garuantee that Macross Frontier won't be the last project of the series. ;)

I have to say that I'm one of those folks who come down on the side of not being too worried about not seeing Hikaru, Misa and Minmei again. Their character arcs are pretty much finished (arguably the tv series actually finishes their character arcs twice - as they get "reset" a bit for the episodes after the Bodolza fleet battle) and I'm fairly satisfied with how their character arcs ended. I don't get the sense of any unfinished business with them. Plus and Seven have shown that the Macross universe is robust enough that you can do other arcs with other characters, so I'm happy for any future series to continue to break new ground.

Karl

The Macross universe is vast and in reality it is unfortunate that BW/SN are only concentrating on fleets and variable fighters, (the formulas).

I'd love to see a story about the wars Dyson participated in prior to Plus, a story about the Spacy Marines and destorids, hell how about a horror story about the Megaroad 18 colonists waking the PD, or another prequel about what happend after Mac Zero with the advent of the AUN's variable fighter program and that armed with such advanced gear the "quiet" war would get much more intense before it blew over.

So many premises are available to the writers of Macross, which is why it is such a dis-service to the franchise to rely solely on one writer to pen the stories. SK has many stories that he doesn't want to be Macross and they probably won't be, ultimately.

With a universe so huge it could support several genres and still survive.

The Alien franchise has seen a thriller, horror, action, and now with the new AVP Requiem, they are exploring the "gore" genre...

Macross could easily support the same approach, much more so than Gundam, it just takes the will to try it.

The Macross universe is vast and in reality it is unfortunate that BW/SN are only concentrating on fleets and variable fighters, (the formulas).

I'd love to see a story about the wars Dyson participated in prior to Plus, a story about the Spacy Marines and destorids, hell how about a horror story about the Megaroad 18 colonists waking the PD, or another prequel about what happend after Mac Zero with the advent of the AUN's variable fighter program and that armed with such advanced gear the "quiet" war would get much more intense before it blew over.

So many premises are available to the writers of Macross, which is why it is such a dis-service to the franchise to rely solely on one writer to pen the stories. SK has many stories that he doesn't want to be Macross and they probably won't be, ultimately.

With a universe so huge it could support several genres and still survive.

The Alien franchise has seen a thriller, horror, action, and now with the new AVP Requiem, they are exploring the "gore" genre...

Macross could easily support the same approach, much more so than Gundam, it just takes the will to try it.

100% agree with you Zinjo, Macross could cater for so much more than it does and still move forward in leaps and bounds, doing older stories and new alike. 505thAirborn I'm the same, growing up seeing Robotech as a kid and then discovering the original Macross and having a love of originals became a loyal fan, but I can remember all my friends waiting for a sequal to robotech to find out what happens to Scot and does he find Ric's fleet, we wanted to know but it never came, until the SC 20 years later, a bit late for some. I beleave that the Macross storie could be so much bigger than it is and go in so many directions.

I'll support any fan who would like the macross univers explored more, as in the end it just makes the Macross univers that much better.

Will there ever, ever, ever be a Macross series where we see Hikaru and Misa again with the Megaroad/Frontier Fleet?

I know that Shoji Kawamori and has made sure never to bring them back, But with the constant change in character designs for macross, is it possible for a new company to buy up some copyrights and make a new series?

I know their is the new Macross Frontier series coming up, But I have to tell you the truth, I am a little worried already its gonna be a disappointment, But I have been wrong before... Hopefully I am wrong on this judgment.

What do you all think, should we have a planned series, Just one Big movie where the Hikaru, Misa, Minmei and the VF-4 are all seen again?

To all frontiers, lets hear what you think!!

Kawamori-sensei!! Bring them back!!

Kawamori is a tight wad about that stuff.

Not really.

The man has other stories to tell, they just aren't necessarily Macross stories.

He's already done an episode of Cowboy Bebop, wrote Escaflowne, and recently finished a segment in the "Genius Party" project.

Initially he didn't want Mac Plus to be a Macross project, but it was the only way he could get the project funded.

He divorced himself from the franchise for nearly a decade before he wrote plus and I am expecting him to do so again. BW/SN really need to foster new talent and develop a core group of writers to pen new, interesting stories within the universe. I'm sure SK would love to only design new variable fighters and not be expected to come up with yet another fresh angle on the same formula.

He has other stories he wants to do, so why not let him tell them?

There is nothing stopping them from releasing a new show every couple of years, they can just have different writer(s) developing the story for each series. Although, there is the risk the franchise could gundamize and become more about merchandising than drama.