Animeigo's or ADV's Remastered SDF Macross

Jepoyako

Actually, I like to know too. Which has better remaster in terms of picture quality?

In Australia, Madman put out the "Ultimate Macross Collection" which has 6 disks in total with commentary from the original director for the last 2 episodes (and 3 really nice mini booklet). It has a Harmony Gold badge but is the original Macross not Robotech. It has sub only but the pictures were cleaned up pretty well, but it still looks a little grainy and I am guessing it must have used a master from Harmony Gold rather than the original Japanese master.

Does Animeigo has sub?

Any info would be great, thanks.

Edited by Mowe

Assuming you're talking about the subtitled versions, you're talking about exactly the same thing in two different packages. Also, this thread has happened before. I'm at work so I can't search for it but it's out there somewhere and includes links to the various DVDs at stores and tells you which are the same and which are slightly different.

Yeah the listed sets are the way to go.

Stay away from the ADV dub, it brutalized the show, surprisingly enough, more than RT did :ph34r: in that at least RT wasn't trying to tell the original story...

The only thing really worth while about the ADV dub of SDFM release is the special features, the dub and audio (which isn't the same as the Animeigo and the Macross Remastered set on Robotech.com releases) are awful.

The script was largely full of more stupid slang and chiche's than RT and the audio track was redone by ADV without the original sound effects from the series.

So if you can download the special features of the ADV discs, then you can save yourself the money on buying them... :rolleyes:

Animeigo. Definitely.

Here's why

Heh. I was writing it all over again when I remembered posting that on the Nexus.

Snippet:

• ADV's english dub soundtrack replaces many of the signature Macross sound effects with generic sound effects not found in the original anime. This can be quite unnerving for someone looking forward to hearing the distinctive "buzz saw" sound of a VF-1 Valkyrie's gunpod and instead hearing a generic "laser gun" sound more appropriate to an American cartoon from the 80s.
  • The Japanese soundtrack on the ADV release is markedly inferior to the Japanese soundtrack on the Animeigo release. The ADV japanese soundtrack, while it does retain all original sound effects, is much less vibrant and more distorted by hiss and noise than is the near-perfect Animeigo Japanese track. It has been reported on Macross World Forums that the Animeigo team took it upon themselves to obtain the original high quality soundtrack tapes from Big West for use on its remastered DVDs. Whereas, where Harmony Gold was able to use the remastered video that Animeigo produced with the ADV english dub, they were not able to use the audio tapes provided by Big West.
  • Opinions differ regarding the quality of the english dub (choice of voices/actors, word pronunciation, etc.). Though, nearly all agree that it was wonderful to have Mari Iijima reprise her role as Lyn Minmay.

Actually, I like to know too. Which has better remaster in terms of picture quality?

In Australia, Madman put out the "Ultimate Macross Collection" which has 6 disks in total with commentary from the original director for the last 2 episodes (and 3 really nice mini booklet). It has a Harmony Gold badge but is the original Macross not Robotech. It has sub only but the pictures were cleaned up pretty well, but it still looks a little grainy and I am guessing it must have used a master from Harmony Gold rather than the original Japanese master.

Does Animeigo has sub?

Any info would be great, thanks.

The Madman version is the Animeigo version.

Isn't the HG issue just the last of the Animeigo discs that they had to turn over when their license expired?

If Animeigo retained their remastered audio tracks HG can't reprint new ones with the original audio track, correct?

Makes me want to get a set and run them through some software to see if HG isn't bootlegging the Animeigo discs and re-selling them as the originals... <_<

Edited by Zinjo

Only $40 now? Mannn... we early adopters got screwed!

Guess it depends on how ya look at it. Were it not for insano fans like us buying the massive $250 set, no one else would have the remastered SDFM originals to purchase from ADV.

Besides, just look at it this way; it was like buying a game console at launch :):lol:

Only $40 now? Mannn... we early adopters got screwed!

I definitely disagree, at least as far as my own purchase goes. I was happy to plunk down $250 at a time when an uncut, Japanese release of Macross seemed like nothing more than a pipe dream. Even though AnimEigo's later retail set was cheaper, I was happy to have it almost a year before that. To this day, that set is the pinnacle of my DVD collection, and I don't regret a single dollar spent on it.

Guess it depends on how ya look at it. Were it not for insano fans like us buying the massive $250 set, no one else would have the remastered SDFM originals to purchase from ADV.

Besides, just look at it this way; it was like buying a game console at launch :):lol:

i didnt mind spending $250 on the original boxset at all...some of the best money ive ever spent

I got lucky, I picked up all three sets from Animeigo at their "clearinghouse" sale just before they handed everything back to HG. I managed to score the sets for half price.

A month later they were no longer available...

The current dubbed ADV SDFM is the best set IMO.

If you like generic G.I. Joe sound effects in the english dub replacing the signature Macross sounds, then I guess all I can say is "to each their own."

If you like generic G.I. Joe sound effects in the english dub replacing the signature Macross sounds, then I guess all I can say is "to each their own."

Ummm, have you ever seen the ADV version? They didn't change the sounds or the music or the names and it's the most accurate translation yet. Listen to the comentary and click around with your dvd players audio button and you can switch between each version. ;)

Ummm, have you ever seen the ADV version? They didn't change the sounds or the music or the names and it's the most accurate translation yet. Listen to the comentary and click around with your dvd players audio button and you can switch between each version. ;)

I do have both versions. The Animeigo and the ADV. And, quite frankly, you are mistaken. At several points in the dub, the signature Macross sounds are replaced by "stock" sounds from generic American cartoons. This has been documented. If memory serves, one stark example is where the barrier system is about to overload. When Hikaru is shooting the gun emplacements on the Zentraedi ship, the sounds are clearly different. The ones on the ADV release are obviously replaced with a much more generic "pew pew pew" sound effect more reminiscent of G.I. Joe than Macross. And this is not an isolated incident.

So, the ADV dub replaces sound effects and, quite frankly, I don't care for most of the voice acting. Both of which (one objective and one subjective) factors make it unacceptable to me.

However, I would have still recommended the ADV version if their original Japanese soundtrack was decent. But there too the ADV release is inferior as its Japanese soundtrack has much more hiss and is quite a bit quiter. Because it is quiter, you have to turn it up farther, which only hilights the hiss even more. That's not a good situation.

All of which adds up to: Animeigo FTW!

The Madman version is the Animeigo version.

I have the Madman version as well, but I was always concerned about the quality of the visuals in the episode "Bye Bye Mars". It appears sub-par when compared to other episodes, and I have compared it with my old Japanese VHS tapes and they have much more vibrant colours in this one episode. I was wondering if the Animeigo release suffers the same problem. I know they SHOULD be the same, but apparently the menus and packaging are all different and stuff...

MACROSS - The Complete Remastered Series DVD Set

Macross Box Set - Only $39.99 while Stocks Last

Animeigo Macross Box Set (Left)

+ Superior Cover Art

+ Superior Price at Only $39.99

+ Remastered Sound

+ Perfect Subtitles with Perfect Extras

ADV Macross Box Set (Right)

+ English Dub

+ Same Perfect Subtitles & Extras

- Inferior Cover Art

- Inferior Unremastered Sound Quality

- Expensive Price at around $200

MacrossBoxSet.jpg VS MacrossADV2.jpg

Agreed....At least i can say HG is consistent.....They know how to screw the fans over and over...

You know I think those who paid full price should get a replacement set. Who here besides me found their dvds with flaws that quickly developed after just a few times playing. All those common freezing parts in the dvds.

I do have both versions. The Animeigo and the ADV. And, quite frankly, you are mistaken. At several points in the dub, the signature Macross sounds are replaced by "stock" sounds from generic American cartoons.

I just checked my versions and I couldn't hear any "stock" sounds. They were exactly the same.

P.S. the ADV set is not 200$. It's around 80$. :-P

I just checked my versions and I couldn't hear any "stock" sounds. They were exactly the same.

P.S. the ADV set is not 200$. It's around 80$. :-P

Did you try the scene I specified?

Again, we're not just making this up. Many people have noted this and documented it.

Did you try the scene I specified?

Again, we're not just making this up. Many people have noted this and documented it.

'Tis true Nod.gif.

Make no mistake, everyone on these forums closely scrutinized the release, not to pick it appart so much as to examine it against what has come before.

The idea of getting a decent English dub of the remastered AE release was hoped for. It is not what was delivered...

Partly due to ADV's inability to keep the irelevant slang out of the scripts and the fact that they didn't have access to the AE remastered audio tracks because their contract was with HG and no attempt to get BW to give permission to use the remastered audio was secured.

Macross Box Set - Only $39.99 while Stocks Last

Animeigo Macross Box Set (Left)

+ Superior Cover Art

+ Superior Price at Only $39.99

+ Remastered Sound

+ Perfect Subtitles with Perfect Extras

aww man this hurts <_< I was also someone that spent over three times that price.

Anyway, is there anything different from this set then the older animeigo dvd's, besides the fact that it comes in a single box instead of three?

aww man this hurts <_< I was also someone that spent over three times that price.

Anyway, is there anything different from this set then the older animeigo dvd's, besides the fact that it comes in a single box instead of three?

Absolutely nothing different. The inner boxes (etc.) and DVDs themselves are identical. The only thing different is the (very nice) outer box.

I have the Animego and love it. I have not yet seen the ADV but now am very curious to check it out.

I am really glad I found this thread, with the mention about the AnimEigo discs now being available for only $40 from Robotech.com. I bought the original AnimEigo boxset (preordered it) for the full price, but I lent it to a friend who I still haven't been able to get it back from.

I was getting close to just going ahead and buying the new ADV version, but knowing I can get another copy of the original AnimEigo discs for only $40, it's a no-brainer for me.

I am really glad I found this thread, with the mention about the AnimEigo discs now being available for only $40 from Robotech.com. I bought the original AnimEigo boxset (preordered it) for the full price, but I lent it to a friend who I still haven't been able to get it back from.

I was getting close to just going ahead and buying the new ADV version, but knowing I can get another copy of the original AnimEigo discs for only $40, it's a no-brainer for me.

A friend who steals your Macross DVD's is no friend! You didn't give him the lenticolor card did you?