Transformer Super Thread 6

Just got the Upgrade Kit for that KO MP Prime Trailer last night, and put the whole thing together. Here is my impression:

Pretty much thin plastic panels with carved details, and with a layer of silver sparkly paint on top. The side blue/white strips for the exterior are thin strips molded in color plastic, and glued together to add depth, rather than a sticker. The Autobot logo has red paint on top. Each panel has very strong double side tapes to secure them on the trailer (make sure you don't make mistake positioning these, as the tape are so strong that you might risk snapping the panels in half try pulling it back out after contact). The panels rest good and fit in nicely. Also has a small piece with added taillights on the back of the trailer, painted silver and lights are in red.

The Bad - Very bad QC. There are a good number of scratched paint spots on the silver paint, as well as fainted glue marks on the blue/white strips. Some scratches on the plastic too. Its a little disappointing, as the mold on the plastic sheets are very clean. But they got messed up a bit here & there during the assembly phase and the painting phase. And lucky that the transparent glue stain is not that visible, only when upclose and at a certain angle when light is reflected on the surface. Its unacceptable for an official product, but border line for this one since its a custom/knock off. So I'll let it slide. Also, my side strips somehow don't have double sided tape on, so I have to use my own Super Tape to get them attached.

The Good - The pics speak for themselves(even though they aren't good quality pics). Regardless the QC, it made this trailer so darn cool! The silver paint is a tad lighter than the original grey plastic. This looks different from the prototype pics in the auction, which has a matching grey on all panels. While I wasn't too happy on the color mismatch at first, it turned out pretty good when you have them altogether. So now it has 3 shades of grey/silver. The original plastic being the darkest, then the darker silver on the center panel, then the lighter silver on the side panels. Add some contrast on the look, and I bet the seller is trying to mimmick the look more on MP-04's trailer, which does have the side panels a lighter silver. All panels fits very securely and doesn't get in the way with the parts, gimmick, nor the folding. The paint don't feel like they scrape too easy, so I am thinking a lot of the scraped paint spots are from manufacture. In terms of look, I am very happy with it, minus the QC stuff.

So overall, I give this kit a 7/10, due to its high price and iffy execution. But when the trailer has it on, the trailer definitely worth a 8.5/10. I would have given it a 9.5/10 if there is not much QC on both of these. It is a really darn good trailer afterall.

For those of you that already applied the stickers before you got this upgrade kit, don't bother peeling those off. Its going to be huge pain and hours of agony for you, as the stickers won't peel off and always breaks into tiny bits the moment you try peeling it. The adhesive is very strong too. So you'll have a big mess trying, unless you love to play with Goo Gone a lot, and don't mind damaging the plastic and break some fingernails. My advice, leave the stickers, and locate the screw holes to disassemble the blue station parts. Just cut a small hole on the blue strips sticker where the screws are from the outside. And when you are done with everything, just have the new blue strip panels tape right on top of the old stickers. It will cover it up good completely, and stays on securely. Also, don't need to over tightening the screws when putting the parts back together. Too much tension on the screws can warp the flat surface of the trailer's exterior.

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

I'm so waiting for them to release a limited edition Sunstorm.

I so badly want a US version of SS. That looks alright really.

Isn't the WalMart Starscream supposed to be a Toys R' Us exclusive in Australia? I thought I read that somewhere.

Those pics made me think my MP prime needs to be complete after all.

I am still having a hard time finding the MP trailer that openes up though.

I see a lot of MP trailer on ebay, but without outriggers, so they must be the earlier ones.

Edited by konimon

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&...800&start=0

Comparison pics for MP-03, MP-05 and Hasbro SS. Looking at all three, I still think MP-03 has the best colors. Mind you, I'm not TF truist, just that visually I like how MP-03 looks in relation to the other 2. Skywarp is nice too, but the black hides so much of the detail...

I definettly like MP 3's scheme over the other two.

Maybe if the Hasbro had a less white grey and a darker shade of red...

MP 3 also varies a lot depending on the light . Maybe the Hasbro one does too.

I'm sorely tempted to splurge for the MP Prime trailer now too... altho the interior would look way better all painted up like the original stickers (or am I imagining that my Prime trailer has interior stickers?) Either way that set looks great.

I'm sorely tempted to splurge for the MP Prime trailer now too... altho the interior would look way better all painted up like the original stickers (or am I imagining that my Prime trailer has interior stickers?) Either way that set looks great.

The trailer does have stickers exactly like the G1 version. In that case, you won't even need the upgrade kit and save yourself some money.

I'm still having trouble here, so the HLJ.com Pre-order is going to be the Takara (Japan) release? I know it says USA edition and all, but this is the delayed release that maybe has the proper Takara box right guys?

That is what most people are guessing, but the truth is that nobody knows for sure yet.

Just got the Upgrade Kit for that KO MP Prime Trailer last night, and put the whole thing together. Here is my impression:

Pretty much thin plastic panels with carved details, and with a layer of silver sparkly paint on top. The side blue/white strips for the exterior are thin strips molded in color plastic, and glued together to add depth, rather than a sticker. The Autobot logo has red paint on top. Each panel has very strong double side tapes to secure them on the trailer (make sure you don't make mistake positioning these, as the tape are so strong that you might risk snapping the panels in half try pulling it back out after contact). The panels rest good and fit in nicely. Also has a small piece with added taillights on the back of the trailer, painted silver and lights are in red.

That trailer looks better than the one that comes with MP-04. Could you add a pic that shows the taillights?

That trailer looks better than the one that comes with MP-04. Could you add a pic that shows the taillights?

Here is a pic from another fellow collector. The taillights are nothing very special, just add a little to the otherwise very plain rear bumper.

trup1.jpg

I really just want a "model" trailer that's the right scale and proportions. (Prime has a very short van-trailer, 'cuz he's a 70's truck----but most stuff out there is very long)

I've always thought both the KO and official trailers looked weird, because they copy MP Prime's chassis/suspension design--which is the least-accurate part of his vehicle mode. It's just wrong, entirely. And it looks worse when applied to a trailer. They should have totally ignored it, and used just the wheels and tires, if that. Prime's wheels are not to scale with himself, and when used with a trailer they look even more so, especially using "robot legs" for the axle mounts etc.

Seeing as some highly sought for exclusives here ended up much cheaper and in mass quantities in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got this.

Isn't the WalMart Starscream supposed to be a Toys R' Us exclusive in Australia? I thought I read that somewhere.

I hope what you guys say is true. The only reason why I don't think it is so is probably cause I am reading into it literally, as a US Limited Edition. :(

Friend of mine cleaned the "weathering" crap off his Masterpiece Starscream and the nosecone is BLUE!

Just wanted to ask whether he painted the nosecone blue or was it like that after a good clean?

The comments make it sound like it was that way after a good clean; which is why i want to know exactly what he/she used to get the paint off

That's what I found funny, i expected the weathering to come off, but I didn't know if the nosecone was blue underneath, which seems silly really, why paint it blue then over again with something else?

If the nosecone is blue plastic under the silver paint it just makes the silver paint all the more silly. Unless they've been planning all along that the Takara release will be blue and clean and the WalMart version would have the silver and grime to differentiate it. After all, MP-01 was clean for the Takara version and altered for the US release...

Edited by eriku

Well that's great. Just rubbing alcohol too.

But still, I do think that it is silly to paint over the thing with silver again.

No kidding. Especially when blue looks better (compliments the tailfins) and more people seem to prefer it. The only thing I can think of is that Takara has planned all along to release theirs 'clean' and with a blue nosecone, and the US version is painted to differentiate it. Sort of like how MP-01 was clean and the US version had battle damage painted on (and short stacks). Just a guess though. Not sure why Hasbro would just arbitrarily say, "Hey, lets paint it silver." Not that they haven't done wacky arbitrary paintjobs in the past. They sort of specialize in that.

Edited by eriku

Its madness I say, MADNESS! They paint over a perfectly fine color and expect us to take it lying down. Ah well at least its fixable, too bad the black joints dont have a silver undercoat or else I would get this. Here's to hoping that takara releases a g1 color version.

Its madness I say, MADNESS! They paint over a perfectly fine color and expect us to take it lying down. Ah well at least its fixable, too bad the black joints dont have a silver undercoat or else I would get this. Here's to hoping that takara releases a g1 color version.

I don't know if anybody has read this yet, but this is like last week's news:

ACToys.net had some very interesting rumors going around on what to expect for the next TWO Masterpiece releases. The problem is that the rumors needed to be translated into English.

2005 Member Dark Rage used Google translation and recieved:

According to reliable sources, MP07 is the original color matching red spider,

MP08 is full version of VS OP full version of Megatron gift boxes suit

2005 Member Matrix Soul then let us in that Red Spider is the Chinese Translation for Starscream. Thus we could be looking at MP07 being an Anime-Accurate Starscream.

MP08 sounds like a Prime vs. Megatron two-pack (with all the extras? Including the trailer? We'll have to wait and see.)

Nonetheless, it's an exciting time for Masterpiece enthusiasts with the release of US Masterpiece Starscream and now news of a Prime vs. Megatron Two-Pack.

:lol:

This reminds me of those colour change gimmicks they still use to sell toys: "Dip it in cool (alcohol) to reveal the secret".

Still remember those toys that turned "invisible" in cool water (the vehicles were clear plastic).