Transformer Super Thread 6

I have a vague recollection of this, but didn't someone here on the board mod their Japanese Starscream so that it could carry both the missiles and guns on the wings while in fighter mode?

Yes, it was drifand.

here

Edited by Tober

Anyone considering cleaning off your Masterpiece Starscream with alcohol, RECONSIDER. I've never heard of a problem with alcohol harming plastic before, but a few people over at TFW2005, including myself, have ended up with bad results. I cleaned the engine flaps last night with 91% alcohol and everything looked great. The toy sat all day today and when I got home I checked it over and one of the hinges for the flap has almost crumbled through. There is a jagged, gaping crack there now and I'm afraid to move it. I'm guessing alcohol got into the hinge and wasn't able to evaporate right away, but I didn't take any precautions against that because I've NEVER heard of any problems with alcohol. Since the toy just sat untouched I can't imagine anything else causing this.

:| I just used 70% on mine last night. Yikes.

If you look at solvent - plastic compatability charts, I think ethanol is safer for ABS than isopropyl alcohol. It's more pricey , but get a bottle of 200 proof Everclear (or if you have access to lab grade ethanol, get a bottle). I soaked 1/48 parts, including heatshields, in this stuff without any ill effects or clouding.

:| I just used 70% on mine last night. Yikes.

It'll probably be fine. Those of us with problems seem to be in the minority, but it is still something to consider. I'm just surprised one engine cover cracked and the other didn't. Also of note is that the tiny hinge on the nosecone didn't suffer any ill effects, and I had that thing soaked in it. Slightly different grades of plastic perhaps? I have no idea. All I know is it cracked without any physical manipulation.

It'll probably be fine. Those of us with problems seem to be in the minority, but it is still something to consider. I'm just surprised one engine cover cracked and the other didn't. Also of note is that the tiny hinge on the nosecone didn't suffer any ill effects, and I had that thing soaked in it. Slightly different grades of plastic perhaps? I have no idea. All I know is it cracked without any physical manipulation.

I gave the engine covers a quick wipe down, but I didn't scrub the silver off. And I didn't touch the nosecone. I mostly just wiped the carbon scoring off the wings and the conformal fuel tanks, then gave the airbrake panel a good cleaning. Mine's fine so far, and I've been playing with it a lot.

And David, I know you're still as curious as I am as to where to shop, so I'll throw this info in. Action-HQ has Megatron up for preorder for a decent price without the plug, but Action-HQ is also in Hong Kong. It seems a lot of people like to order from Hobby Link Japan and Big Bad Toy Store. I'm ruling out HLJ, because the price after conversion isn't spectacular, it's plugged, and they ship from Japan. BBTS is also out for me, I think, because $5 is still $5, which is how much more they're listing it for. So I've heard a few positives about Lost and Found Toys, and I think I might order from them. Same $95 preorder that's going around everywhere else, and yeah, it's plugged, but they're in Dallas.

Unless anyone else knows something I don't?

Don't use paint thinner to clean MPSS, especially Testors. Testors paint thinner is definitely a no no. There was a fellow who tried to do some weathering on a movie Leader Prime. Instead of using Tamiya enamel paint thinner that I used on my customs (which had no problems up to this day), he used Testors thinner, and his Prime crumbled to pieces the next day...completely dismembered...

After reading all the post in the TFW2005 thread, and closely inspect my MPSS, I did find a very very fainted stress mark on one side of the wing hinge, same spot where a bunch of guys do (where the big wing flips up and folds). The other side is fine. Only transformed a couple times. But can't tell if its like that out of the box. I did clean the burnt marks off but not the silver paint, with 70% alcohol and didn't use a lot to soak it wet. Highly doubted the alcohol does any damage though, since there are a good number of examples you guys mentioned to have parts soak in alcohol entirely for a good amount of time, with no ill effects, so doubted a weaker solution with minimal application will do more damage. So I guess as long as the stress marks doesn't get worse, then it might be ok. But if it keeps growing, then you better stop transforming your screamer.

On a side note, it is somewhat common to have pinned hinges cracked up out of the box. My movie Leader Brawl has just that on one of the leg panels. I just end up reinforcing it with superglue from the outside, and holds up fine so far.

I was thinking it might be easier to just lightly sand off the scorch marks with some 400 or 600 grit... and maybe use a chemical on the nosecone... I could always just paint it real quick... but the plastic color will match so much better. I bet the blue of the nosecone is a more solid plastic and/or a much mower stress area and as such not at risk for fatigue. The wing joints are just a finicky area and need some care when worked on.

i picked up my megs at LAFtoys. it had the plug which i pulled off the second i got it.

it doesn't really matter where you get it as long as you get it. seriously, its awesome in every way.

as far as paint removal, you guys should've gone with brasso or the chameleon paint remover.

i've used both for paint removal on a few of my 1/48's(and other toys) and neither has harmed or altered the plastic whatsoever.

a quick search under "paint removal" in the modification section will give you the links to the stuff i'm talking about.

here are the links...

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...l=paint+removal

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...ameleon+remover

Edited by do not disturb

So I've heard a few positives about Lost and Found Toys, and I think I might order from them. Same $95 preorder that's going around everywhere else, and yeah, it's plugged, but they're in Dallas.

I got my MP-05 from Lost & Found toys when it was originally released with no problems. It did have a plug which was very easy to remove in 3 secs. Great service, great price, and very reasonable shipping. I highly recommend them.

B))

I got my MP-05 from Lost & Found toys when it was originally released with no problems. It did have a plug which was very easy to remove in 3 secs. Great service, great price, and very reasonable shipping. I highly recommend them.

B))

Ugh, my credit card's getting a bit of a workout lately... too many toys and games coming out. But I bit the bullet and preorded Megatron at LAF. I figure as long as I don't go too crazy, I can pay off the credit card after Christmas when the videogame situation reverts that barren period between March and September.

In any case, another plus in LAF's favor is that they ship USPS Priority. The UPS driver that delivers to me is an incompetent lazy Tom Cruise; I've actually had so many problems with him that I've complained to his supervisor's boss. Needless to say, I avoid UPS whenever possible. And USPS priority was only about a buck more (and probably much faster) than UPS ground. Total for me ended up being about $106. Expensive (by my standards... one of the reasons why I think I'm the only one on these boards that doesn't buy Macross toys), but if he's as good as Prime and Starscream, totally worth it.

looks good with the justitoys attachments too. i got the two pack titanium optimus megatron at tru cause they look cool. i think the quality might not be good but everything stays misb.

dont use break fluid.... i had a chunky monkey that was a bad custom that i got from ebay. soaked it in break fluid to remove paint. i come back after some time all that is in the the metal container is the diecast.

Did you at least get a chuckle out of the tragedy? If that were to happen to me, upon seeing the remains I'd have to laugh after saying a few obscene words. ^_^

I can get you one Sh002, I found like a dozen of them, but it'd cost you :p

I got one today, he's GREAT, I think in terms of quality, much nicer then Takara's...though there are spots where they could of done a bit better on the panel lining and they could of atleast painted his missiles under his turbines....still in all in all, I think he's vastly superior.

Also, didn't think I could hide the missiles so well at his back like he's packaged in the box, it makes him look more heavily armed for destruction...so I did that with my Takara too.

I can get you one Sh002, I found like a dozen of them, but it'd cost you :p

I got one today, he's GREAT, I think in terms of quality, much nicer then Takara's...though there are spots where they could of done a bit better on the panel lining and they could of atleast painted his missiles under his turbines....still in all in all, I think he's vastly superior.

Also, didn't think I could hide the missiles so well at his back like he's packaged in the box, it makes him look more heavily armed for destruction...so I did that with my Takara too.

Check yours for stress marks around the engine covers and the wing hinges. Members of tfw2005.com suggested trimming the hinges on the wings a bit to alleviate the stress from folding for transformation. Its seemed to help. I plan on doing this soon.

I'll look for members here though I haven't seen it show up around here (Florida). I'm not interested in SS as I bought the Japanese MP SS and was disappointed with it and sold it. I'll let you guys know if I find one and will sell at cost plus shipping, no gouging here.

Okay, I am torn... I need a new iPod speaker bc/ my iHome has officially sh!t the bed... so I'm looking at a Music label Convy w/ Speakers... I'm not a huge fan of the all white version, but BBTS has it for like a hundred bucks... and HLJ doesn't even have an open preorder yet for the G1 colored version, whcih doesn't come out until March...

Eh.... I think I'm gonna grab the white one from BBTS... it's got great novelty, and will serve my purposes as an iPod charger-dock and speakers for my alarm clock... that's all I need.

Let me know how it sounds if you get it. I've got the G1 colors version on preorder from Lost and Found Toys and while I'm mostly getting it for the novelty it would be cool if the speakers sound good. And I'm not talking Bose good, just "hey, these don't sound like generic Kmart speakers!" good.

Eh.... I think I'm gonna grab the white one from BBTS... it's got great novelty, and will serve my purposes as an iPod charger-dock and speakers for my alarm clock... that's all I need.

i have the Ipod convoy speaker set and it looks awesome but it sounds like crap. Two of my buddies have it as well and thiers sound like crap as well.

not very loud and lots of static.

This reminds me of the Soundwave MP3 player. I've never listened to mine because, well, my iPod makes it obsolete....but the opinions on him are all across the board. Some people say he sounds fine, some people say it's the worst sounding MP3 player they've ever heard, some people say it sounds really great. I've heard similar reports on ML Convoy, only far fewer since more people seem to have bought Soundwave.

The problem is there is no 'standard' for what we hear. People not only hear things differently but also have different tastes and different ideas of what sounds bad, what is adequate and what is excellent as far as quality of sound goes. Then there is the fact that different styles of music play a very large role in fidelity. Obviously a new recording of the London Philharmonic Orchestra is going to have more noticable highs, lows and clarity than say a 1930's recording of Mississippi John Hurt. On top of that is the different bitrates of the MP3s that people listen to...

Edited by eriku