Indiana Jones IV

Whereas Temple of Doom and Last Crusade were directly written by Lucas. Lawrence Kasdan has had no further involvement with the Indy franchise

This is incorrect. ToD was written by Willard Huyck, based on a story by Lucas. Crusade was done by Jeffrey Boam, again based on a story by Lucas. Lucas has no screenplay credits on all three original Indy films.

It would appear that Wikipedia has boned me again.

Edit: On second thought that explains quite a lot. Willard Huyck directed Howard the Duck and Jeffrey Boam wrote The Phantom and two of the Lethal Weapon movies. Now it all makes sense... Hurin has his root of evil.

Clearly, the "root of evil" is George Lucas's adopted child. :ph34r: He became a father of an adopted girl after Empire and Raiders but before ToD and Return of the Jedi. It could be coincidence, but I really think that changed the dude. That and the ugly divorce he went through at the same time. Which also begs the question: Who adopts a child while going through a divorce? :unsure:

Young directors/producers like Lucas and Spielberg grow older and not only start making cheezier movies for the "kids". . . but also go back and alter their earlier stuff to remove things their older, more delicate political sensibilities now perceive to be offensive. Hence the guns being replaced with walkie-talkies in E.T. and all of Lucas's dumb ass decisions in the new and (retroactively) old Star Wars films.

George Lucas has an uncanny ability to take his own cool ideas (from an earlier era) and somehow completely mangle them and make them utterly lame. I know it's cliche to say someone has lost their touch. . . but he epitomizes that phrase.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go wallow in my thoroughly mediocre life where I won't ever achieve even 1% of George Lucas's success or wealth. :)

The internet sucks. :mellow:

Mr. March said that the latter two films are more mystical. I'd actually diagree with this as well (surprised?).

Respectively, Hurin. Respectively. Meaning in the order given.

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade add more mysticism and humor respectivley than the first installment, but I'm afraid I'm not seeing any major departures that drives the sequels into Spy Kids territory.

Hence, Temple of Doom = more mysticism while Last Crusade = more humor.

The reason some younger folk love last crusade so much, myself for example, is because it was the 1st indianna jones movie they watched. Nostalgia's a powerful thing.

This is too true, I love the Last Crusade since its the first one I saw but in my mind Raiders of the Lost Ark will always be the best (and truly only) Indiana Jones. Temple of Doom is a representation of what is wrong with hollywood and probably Indie 4 will be too, but that doesnt mean I wont go see it anyways. I also agree with Hurin about the fact that once Lucas had a kid, his movies changed very drastically.

• 1 month later...

Homeboy looks old. On the plus side he didn't get large like Shatner but he doesn't look badass the way Clint did at his age.

I saw him at a burger joint with another MWer about a year ago and he looked a kinda frail. He just doesn't have that mischief in his eyes anymore. Hasn't had it in a long time.

Be good if he came out in did a 5 minute cameo or something atleast, be good for him to go out on top.

That is if this movie will be of such calibur. :p but i am sure it will be.

This movie would have to be complete crap... like good luck chuck, crap... in order to be worse than the last couple of films connery did before he retired.

I found the following in a comment beneath the picture on a site somewhere.

"Word has it, Lucas also was dead set on "a certain idea" that Spielberg and Harrison Ford were against, but Lucas wouldn't change his mind. It came down to, "Well, this is our last chance, are we going to do it or not?" and they gave in."

I cannot corroborate the validity of this, but it sounds... well... Lucas. If it were true, you'd think Lucas would have listened to the man who made *the* movie on alien encounters. Also the man who has experience with what some see as an inappropriate use of aliens into a movie of his own. If *he* thinks it a bad idea...

*cues Hurin*

Totally underwhelming. It certainly looks like Lucas was able to work in all that *great* dialog he couldn't cram into Attack of the Clones into this movie. I wonder if there will be any stepping in poo scenes? Maybe Cate Blanchett will let one rip during a particularly tense scene, and her little soviet minions will have to stifle their giggles.

Wow, man, that trailer just destroyed the excitement I had about this thing.

I've got nothing to say other than to point out that the trailer (which is supposed to represent the best a movie has to offer) goes out of its way to be funny above all else. . . and fails. . . and thus, for me, any residual hope that this movie could buck the Lucas trend is lost.

I just smashed my spine through a windshield and am now sitting between two of my enemies. . . time for a (lame) joke while they stare at me dumbfounded instead of shooting/punching/capturing me!

Lucas. . . cannot. . . make. . . a. . . decent. . . movie.

I thought Indy smashing into the truck windscreen was actually pretty funny. IMHO while it does not yet "feel" Indy it has the right elements in place. The shot structure is very Spielberg and, for what it's worth, the dialog is very Lucas. Then again the only dialog we are hearing are the typical movie trailer expositional snippets... stuff that is supposed to "hook" us with catchy "one liners".

On the negative side (dialog aside) the shots seem very dark, almost ominous. I know the Indy franchise has it's fair share of ominous but this trailer seems top heavy with "brooding" darks.

Lucas. . . cannot. . . make. . . a. . . decent. . . movie.

Apparently Frank Darabont, of Shawshank Redemption fame, finished a screenplay for Speilberg, who that it was the best thing since Raiders and was ready to shoot. George didn't like it. You have the guy who wrote "I don't like sand. It's rough. You're soft and smooth." overriding the opinions of one of the best moviemakers alive and the man responsible for one of the best movies of all time.

But to be fair, rumors are Darabont's script dealt with the same subject matter, Indy in the 50's and aliens, and there's a fair amount in the existing movie that keeps his take on things. With Spielberg around, it might not totally be unwatchable. It's going to have Lucas's fingerprints all over the place though.

For what it's worth, I didn't think the "I thought it was closer" gag that horrible or juvenile. Maybe not as understated and wryly executed as I would have liked, but it didn't make me totally grimace.

For what it's worth, I didn't think the "I thought it was closer" gag that horrible or juvenile. Maybe not as understated and wryly executed as I would have liked, but it didn't make me totally grimace.

On second viewing (cuz I may have been hasty), it's not as egregious as it could be. But, it still represents a pretty good example of the type of ass-hatery that (to my mind) ruined the latter two Indy films and every Lucas endeavor since Empire.

Since they seem so proud of this "funny" moment that they chose to showcase it in the trailer, I'm willing to bet that there will be tons more moments like this throughout the movie. . . just as there were throughout Last Crusade and every other Lucas vehicle in recent (and not-so-recent) memory.