Macross Plus Remaster Box /Macross 7 TV/OVA

jet660

Has anyone actually looked at the OVA transfer in detail? Does the transfer have a black border around it? You may need to watch on a computer to actually see it, many TVs are configured wrong and overscan entirely too much.

That could be why the border is there. To reduce the amount of image lost to overscan.

That could be why the border is there. To reduce the amount of image lost to overscan.

Unlikely. When you only have 720x480, you don't waste any of it, especially since this is unneeded on computers and on any HDMI set that either doesn't have overscan, or has it off. I've never seen a DVD with a black border on all four sides.

I'm going to wait for blue-ray release, or for Bandai Visual to bring this box out over here, whichever less likely event happens first. I'm sooo tempted to get this, but like the 7 box's, I must resist! BTW, has anyone written Bandai Visual to bug them about releasing this stuff? I think I'm going to right now!

Edited by Keith

I was thinking about if I should wait and get the Blu-ray/HD-DVD (whichever it may be on) too….but I bought it :-)

My question is would it look as good as the new transfer? I mean I know Paprika looks amazing in Bluray, but we are talking about a show that went straight to VHS more than 10 years ago, I wonder if the source material is good enough to make the difference in visuals. I know they had some CG in it, I wonder what they were rendered at (640X480?) I know many of the recent show/movies are now digital and are made and plan for HD. Would a transfer of “10 years old stuff” to bluray look better than it’s remastered DVD counterpart?

NOTE: I’m not talking about film, I know film has no resolutions, so I can see film can make a big difference in the transfer

I was thinking about if I should wait and get the Blu-ray/HD-DVD (whichever it may be on) too….but I bought it :-)

My question is would it look as good as the new transfer? I mean I know Paprika looks amazing in Bluray, but we are talking about a show that went straight to VHS more than 10 years ago, I wonder if the source material is good enough to make the difference in visuals. I know they had some CG in it, I wonder what they were rendered at (640X480?) I know many of the recent show/movies are now digital and are made and plan for HD. Would a transfer of “10 years old stuff” to bluray look better than it’s remastered DVD counterpart?

NOTE: I’m not talking about film, I know film has no resolutions, so I can see film can make a big difference in the transfer

If it was remastered off the original film prints, then it will be of a higher resolution that HD, therefore assuming they cleaned up the scratches and pocks usually found on film prints, it will be from a true HD image.

The only reason why they would go to such lengths is if they were indeed intending to release the shows on Bluray eventually.

I got mine today and can confirm there's no subtitles or dub tracks. the picture quailty is very good for a 4:3 ratio format.

I didn't have that much time to review it caus eI had to go to work... :-(

Below are some pics I quickly took... there's an awesome booket of line art that comes with the set

WHOA! Line art of the YF-19 special arm weapon exists! This has never been seen before! Oh man, I have to get a hold of that.

Unlikely. When you only have 720x480, you don't waste any of it, especially since this is unneeded on computers and on any HDMI set that either doesn't have overscan, or has it off. I've never seen a DVD with a black border on all four sides.

I admit it's unlikely, if for no other reason than black isn't the standard treatment.

But it's generally assumed there IS overscan.

Don't forget many of those same scenes were used in the movie. So they were probably all shot on movie stock(assuming it wasn't all done in computer).

Actually, it does. It's just in the form of film grain instead of pixel counts.

In a movie setting, it's generally far finer than DVD. In a TV setting, not so much.

It's why if you saw Fantasia 2000 in IMAX Sorcerer's Apprentice looked like ass. It was a far larger screen than it was ever meant to be displayed on, and the grain was blown up HUGE.

More relevantly, it's why the modern DVD releases of Macross have film grain in them. They DID edit the grain out during the restoration, but they had to put it back because it left everything looking really flat.

My main concern is inexpensive future-proofing. Since we're in the same region as Japan now, importing Blue-Ray's are incredibly easy, not requiring any player modification. Only downside is, they still block R2 DVD's. And while I'm sure modded BR players will be out eventually, they'll also likely be quite expensive for a while.

Edited by Keith

I got my Macross Plus box set this week, I'm very happy with it, picture quality and sound is great. Now I can get rid of my crappy manga dvd versions after I copy them to my computer, so I'll have an English reference.

Are those the same TV adds that are in the 20th Anniversary DVD?

Here are the screen captures of the 4th disc (extras).

First, the menus (sorry for the quality).

Menu 1:

Macross Plus 1 preview (screen capture 3, lasts 3:09 mins, to promote the series)

Macross Plus 2 preview

Macross Plus 3 preview

Macross Plus 4 preview (these are the ones that came at the end of the Japanese LDs, short ads with practically no animation)

Macross Festival: the Movie Edition = Mac 7 movie preview (screen capture 4, included in the 20th ann disc)

Macross: A Future Chronicle

Menu 2:

Macross Plus PS2 game movies

Macross Plus PS2 game ad (screen captures 5 & 6)

Macross Plus TV ads

Interview (screen captures 7 & 8)

post-322-1189091428_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189091450_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189091675_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189091911_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189091944_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189091960_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092002_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092027_thumb.jpg

Are those the same TV adds that are in the 20th Anniversary DVD?

Here are the screen captures of the TV ads... I took 3 of the Macross Plus vol. 2 where Basara and Mylene appear.

The last two are for the Movie Edition + Macross 7 movie but in shorter lenghts and TV sized (not letterboxed)

edit: sp

post-322-1189092764_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092776_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092788_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092807_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092821_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092835_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092846_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092860_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092869_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092890_thumb.jpg

post-322-1189092909_thumb.jpg

Edited by GGemini

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few DVDs that are HD remastered, though they all have good picture quality, I'm using the S-Video input on a HD TV, but to enable to take full advantage of the "HD quality" do I need to play them through a HD player?

By their very nature, DVD's only deliver 480 horizontal lines of resolution. HD has either 720 or 1080. When they say that the DVD was encoded from HD masters, they don't mean that the picture you will see will be HD. That's just a gimmick to get you to buy the thing.

You're wondering if you need to buy higher end cables? If you have an upconverting DVD player, go for HDMI. The player will artificially enhance the image to give the appearance of HD, though it won't be as good as true HD.

Edited by The Shade

When I watched my Macross Plus DVDs, on a non-HD LCD TV the picture quality though still good was not as sharp or smooth when watched through my HD LCD TV. I was wondering if its just the TV or is it the "HD remaster" that makes it much sharper

for HD TVs. I playing my DVDs on a normal player.

When I watched my Macross Plus DVDs, on a non-HD LCD TV the picture quality though still good was not as sharp or smooth when watched through my HD LCD TV. I was wondering if its just the TV or is it the "HD remaster" that makes it much sharper

for HD TVs. I playing my DVDs on a normal player.

The TV, probably.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but it caught my attention as I was checking BandaiVisual's site:

The HD remaster box set of SDF Mac TV will be released in February. One of the extras is apparently the ORIGINAL CUT of episode 11. Now that is interesting, because ever since I looked at the section in the Perfect Memory book about it, I always wanted to know what that original version was like. From what I can gather, the opening battle with Britai that we have seen in Robotech and in subsequent home video, DVD etc releases of SDF have been the re-cut version used in re-runs in Japan, which differ from the original broadcast. I have the original broadcast versions of Boobytrap and Countdown on VHS as they were edited together for the original Macross Special broadcast, and separately on my DVD set, plus the alternate openings/endings, but this last piece of footage still eluded me.

Then again, I do not want to pay 39,800 yen for 3 or so minutes of badly rushed editing. Just letting you guys know the most interesting thing content-wise in the new DVD sets.

• 1 month later...

Welp! My copy finally arrived. I've delayed it for so long coz of, well, lack of money back in Aug. It's all worth it, tho. ehehehe!

at any rate, here are some Movie-edition comparo-PNGs between the old R1 (left) and the R2J-remastered (right) :

note: these are PNG's, so filesizes are prolly 800k+/- on avg.

mplusr1vsr2remastered1xi7.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered2md3.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered3mr2.th.png

mplusr1vsr2remastered4bd0.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered5bst0.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered6yk9.th.png

mplusr1vsr2remastered7wp0.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered8hg1.th.png mplusr1vsr2remastered9tz1.th.png

pics continued on next post...

mplusovar1vsr2jrmst20pj4.th.png mplusovar1vsr2jrmst21eu2.th.png mplusovar1vsr2jrmst22hb7.th.png

Well, that's it.

As I stated earlier, these snapshots were from vol-1 only, since the rest of the OVA-volumes pretty much show the same video-0wn4g3d of the R2J-remastered version over Mangle's R1.

enjoy and pray Mangle or BV-USA brings this Remastered-version boxset over to R1-land soon. Mangle's name is still listed in the credits of this R2J.

B))

oops! stragler pic. supposed to be in the first set ;) :

mplusovar1vsr2jrmst4lt1.th.png

Edited by treatment

Yay! Now if they could remember about the rest of the world that doesn't speak japanese :( I mean come on, we made Macross famous now atleast give us some optional official sub-titles....

Start learning japanese then. :ph34r: I think I am going to do it myself. Learning other languages is a nice thing after all.