The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

That's true, but I think it's still safe to say that Sony is selling the PS3 hardware at a loss whereas MS has finally begun to turn a modest profit off 360 hardware sales. Adding an HD-DVD drive, internal wi-fi and a larger hard drive would set them back if they want to sell it at a competitive price.

I don't know how much this has changed in the last two years, but as I recall, Microsoft makes big money from other divisions, and can afford to bleed money from the Xbox/Zune division. They have been more concerned with staying competitive and getting the brand recognition for future domination than turning a profit now. If they can turn a profit on the Pro, which most people will buy if all they want is the gaming, then can afford to lose money on this hypothetical future model if it furthers their ends of

1) Pushing HD-DVD, even if just to maintain the stalemate

2) Provide higher capacity and HD output for their digital downloads

I just went to the Mass Effect webpage and there's a new counter on the main page, just above the page selection bar. It's a timer and it's counting down from 321 days. Anyone know what this is about?

321 days? I hope that's 321 days until Mass Effect 2, not 321 days until downloadable content.

321 days? I hope that's 321 days until Mass Effect 2, not 321 days until downloadable content.

it's just the old ME counter, it reset when the game came out and they haven't taken it down. If you click on it, it just says ME is out and gives you some retail stores.

So Metal Slug 3 is pretty much a disappointment. Censored blood (what is this, 1995?), way too much slow down and shoddy control makes for a game that's just not worth the money. Would still be a bargain for 400MS points, but for 800 it needed to be better than this.

Yeowch. That's a real dissappointment. I heard the achievements are maniacal too.

I think the counter just got messed up somehow, noticed it yesterday.

Alternately, I wouldn't be surprised to see ME 2 in Dec. (Though July '09 is more likely)

It took 3 1/2 years tp develop this one, I don't get why everyone is talking about their saves with ME2 and how the story is going to turn up.

It's not going to come out for the longest time, you know how BioWare is, I doubt it would would even come out in 09 either.

So Metal Slug 3 is pretty much a disappointment. Censored blood (what is this, 1995?), way too much slow down and shoddy control makes for a game that's just not worth the money. Would still be a bargain for 400MS points, but for 800 it needed to be better than this.

Switch your machine to japanese and it becomes red, just like on a japanese NeoGeo. Switch it to english and it's censored like on a US NeoGeo.

The blood is just a new level in authentic emulation. :p

Also:

I heard MS is releasing a new 360 revision next fall with double the RAM, an integrated terrabyte hard drive, an HD-DVD/BluRay combo drive, and compatibilty with Wii and PS3 games and accessories!

Seriously, why is it that even when an article is EXPLICITLY labelled as nothing more than a wish list or speculation(which is the same thing most of the time), everyone jumps on it like it's an official company announcement?

Because people LOVE to jump on speculation from websites as fact. :)

Plus the fact that their "wishlist" is pretty darn close to what's being rumored lately, and may be more than just a wishlist, and actually a disguised article of "what was leaked to us".

The best part I've seen rumored, is that due to the HD-DVD integration, Toshiba will actually be making them. More of an "HD-DVD player that plays 360 games" than vice-versa. And that way, it wouldn't be MS hardware, and would have a totally different design--hopefully no more RROD and super-annoying loud noise.

It took 3 1/2 years tp develop this one, I don't get why everyone is talking about their saves with ME2 and how the story is going to turn up.

It's not going to come out for the longest time, you know how BioWare is, I doubt it would would even come out in 09 either.

Because a lot of the past 3 years was writing the story, the background, the setting, the history. And developing the engine. ME 2 will use the same story, background, characters, and engine. They spent 3 years developing the entire trilogy/system, ME 2 and 3 will be more like "expansion packs" than anything else. Think of the LOTR movie--they were all made and filmed together, but released spaced out as they were completed. ME will be similar. They've already got the story, and the engine, and the texture maps of Tali's environment suit. They just need more story, a few new people/places, and more recordings from the voice actors.

They can't take 2+ years between games on a single system for a "single story told in a trilogy". MGS has spanned the PSX, PS2, and now PS3. ME will all be on the 360, they can't take that much time. Especially when each game is set right after the other. (Never stated as such, but pretty much has to be to retain characters, especially your Shepard---unless they have a really advanced "age any custom-made Shepard 5-10 years without looking funny" algorithm.

because bioware has already stated that all 3 ME games are supposed to be within the 360's expected product cycle and most people believe the 360 will have a 5 year life span.

Anyways, think about it... existing engine, existing character models, existing story, why would it take longer than a year?

just gimme 800 points back for that lousy Halo 3 map pack :)

I haven't really played it since I d/l'ed them.

Yeeeeeah, the map pack was a disappointment. Especially compared to the extra maps for Halo 2, these really pale in comparison. Hell, pretty much all the maps in Halo 3 don't stand up to Halo 2's.

Man I loved Jade Empire. It's funny how it used to be Sony hade more RPG than Microsoft now its like the 360 is just coming out lately with some great RPG and Sony has been realy lacking a great standout game for me yet. I have all three systems and I play my 360 the most, then the Wii wich I play more with the family and my PS3 just been sitting there collecting dust.

Man I loved Jade Empire. It's funny how it used to be Sony hade more RPG than Microsoft now its like the 360 is just coming out lately with some great RPG and Sony has been realy lacking a great standout game for me yet. I have all three systems and I play my 360 the most, then the Wii wich I play more with the family and my PS3 just been sitting there collecting dust.

I think a big part of that is that there's so few standout JRPGs these days. They're all so very cookie-cutter similar to Final Fantasy now. And while Sony gets a lot of JRPGs, Microsoft's been getting some great Western RPGs.

That said, as sick as I am of most JRPGs, I long for a next-gen MegaTen game.

Anyone had their 360 get the RRoD? Mine hasn't, but the console rattles from time to time. It also whistles, but I think that is my craptastic disc drive. I'm guessing it is one of the loud BenQ's.

But hey, at least I was able to beat Mass Effect. :) It looks like for half of the people ME either causes the unreadable disc error or throws the console into a downward spiral that ends in the ring of death. The thing is, it can't be the game's fault because the rest of us can play the game without those issues.

Edited by meh_cd

I'm not much of an RPG person anyways (closest I've played recently would be... Yakuza?), but Jade Empire looks really awful. The visual design was atrocious, very obviously a white guy's poor impression of Chinese style and it totally failed. As for the game. Not to mention a number of friends said the system wasn't great, so I gave it a pass even though I kind of liked KOTOR.

Omega Five is supposedly coming out this week for XBLA, and considering it got really good reviews from the trade shows, it might be Live Arcade's first decent shooter. Crossing my fingers that it'll be good.

I'm not much of an RPG person anyways (closest I've played recently would be... Yakuza?), but Jade Empire looks really awful. The visual design was atrocious, very obviously a white guy's poor impression of Chinese style and it totally failed. As for the game. Not to mention a number of friends said the system wasn't great, so I gave it a pass even though I kind of liked KOTOR.

Omega Five is supposedly coming out this week for XBLA, and considering it got really good reviews from the trade shows, it might be Live Arcade's first decent shooter. Crossing my fingers that it'll be good.

Well, it was a white guy's poor impression of Chinese style, but you kind of overlook that. The world of Jade Empire isn't meant to be ancient China any more than Azeroth is supposed to be medieval Europe. And yeah, a lot of the RPG elements are simplified and combat was almost like a beat-'em up. But it actually wound up being my all-time favorite original Xbox game. The story was fresh, the plot twist nearly as good as KOTOR's, and the game play suited the setting. Because, face it, half of what makes BioWare's games good is the story, the setting, and how your character interacts and converses with it. Jade Empire was classic BioWare there.

Honestly, I really recommend it, especially as it's backwards compatible, and most stores have it for $10 or less now.

On another Xbox topic, anyone play WarTech: Senko no Ronde? I know it didn't get the best of reviews, but they seem to be more unhappy with the price than the gameplay. But, I found copies at Best Buy for $9.99. Worth wasting a ten on?

On another Xbox topic, anyone play WarTech: Senko no Ronde? I know it didn't get the best of reviews, but they seem to be more unhappy with the price than the gameplay. But, I found copies at Best Buy for $9.99. Worth wasting a ten on?

I grabbed it for 15 at Gamestop a few months ago. Played it and its good looking but I just couldnt get into it. It seemed like Armored Core mixed with a Shoot em up. I just couldnt get into it myself but it had a neat idea. Mechs were kinda lame looking though.

I picked up a copy of ZOMG WARTECH!1111 a while back.

(Seriously, the game would've sold a lot better if they hadn't tried to hide it's identity. Most of the people that cared totally overlooked it when it hit shelves because they didn't recognize it under the generic art and new name.).

Haven't really played much with it. It seems very multiplayer oriented, and I'm more of a solo gamer.

The concept is neat, though.

Finished Halo 3.....why is it all the "really good" games, ones with spectacular graphics and gameplay have to end so damn short? Halo 3, Gears of War, etc etc, great games, ending sooooooooooooo quickly.

Oh well......now then, I either play Ace Combat 6, or Call of Duty 4....I really got no interest in Forza 2 or Marvel.

If anything, Halo 3 should have been shorter. A lot of the levels were too long for their own good, like the warthog escape at the end. After about five minutes it's like "Okay... this is just getting boring."

Yeah, shorter as in one game, not a trilogy. Sure, Halo set the standard for console FPS when it first came out, but by now there are much better ones.

If anything, Halo 3 should have been shorter. A lot of the levels were too long for their own good, like the warthog escape at the end. After about five minutes it's like "Okay... this is just getting boring."

Heh, when I went through that level for the first time, half way into it I said to myself "Wasn't I just through this section?"

Ikaruga coming to XBLA. Like shmups? Buy it. Don't HATE shmups? Buy it. Never heard of it/know what shmup means? Buy it anyways. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225771

I already have an import of Ikaruga for the Dreamcast. And since I'm poor now, I'm going back and playing through PS2 games I picked up while I worked at Gamestop and never got around to finishing (if I played it at all). Currently, that means SMT: Nocturne.