The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

when you go to play the avi file for the first time, the 360 will want to download the codec and then you're good to go.

Hmmm, what if I install the codec into the thumb drive? Cause chances are I'm not gonna be able to sync it to my PC or get it Live......my ISP just really blows.

Found something really useful for Mass Effect players, a map of the citadel with EVERYTHING marked. Every keeper, plot person, elevator, etc. Numbered, too.

That's a super nice find, David. I got about 16 of the 21 keepers and so far have completed the three main missions - Tau, Feros, and Noveria. This is pretty much most of everything I've ever wanted for a sci fi RPG, although I wish they expanded more on the main missions rather than the side missions - I find those boring having to land and every planet looks the same (in terms of topology - the vegetation or lack of might differ) with the same gravity constant and how your Mako reacts to it - kill some Geth or Pirates and get out. Every out post looks the exact same with perhaps a few crates moved here and there. But in summary, the main missions are a lot of fun. Feros reminded me of some Resident Evil action while Noveria reminded me of the Aliens movie, moving down those corridors and then hearing a Rachni screaming charging at you.

Btw, I haven't been around MWF for a while, everyone okay?

LIVE is down for me, and a lot of other people it seems. Surely someone here is having problems. I haven't been online since before the latest update, and I just went online today to try to get it, and Live won't connect.

I was online earlier in the week, so whatever the problem is, it's recent. Personally, I got connected, but not until the third try.

Well, it was insane at the boards: http://forums.xbox.com/14/ShowForum.aspx

They finally locked all the threads and made a new sticky thread.

PS---yeah Mike, you show up as being online. But none of my other Live friends.

PPS--I need a new gamertag pic, and while I'd prefer ME, few of them are any good. Half are so small/dark you can't tell what they are. "N7" is too common. (I have both the preorder bonus and the LE bonus, so I have most of the ME ones out there)

The Elite has the 120 gb Hard drive and is black.

The Elite, Halo Edition, and Premium all have HDMI. If you must have black and plan on doing the DVR stuff, get the Elite.

I didn't bother, 20 gb is more than enough for me right now. I have Tivo for my DVR.

Good luck finding a quiet drive one.

The Elite has the 120 gb Hard drive and is black.

Yeah, that's the rub. Aside from the bigger hard disk and the "black is nice", I really can't seem to get what's so special about it.

The Elite, Halo Edition, and Premium all have HDMI. If you must have black and plan on doing the DVR stuff, get the Elite.

I don't have a DVR, so if I can actually use my Elite for that I don't mind shelling out for a bigger HDD.. I'm totally clueless whether that's possible, actually.

As for the quiet drive, I think I'll just have to roll the dice and bear the consequences. Not much I can do about that.

The DVR stuff with the Elite has to be done through Microsoft's service. I think. I can't remember since I wasn't really looking into it, but MS was supposed to be parterning up with some cable companies or something.

--

I have the regular premium (non-Falcon) edition (mfg.081307-with a quiet drive) that my son uses, and I have a Halo (non-Falcon) edition (mfg.080607-with a noisy drive) that I use.

You could always buy whichever one and get a faceplate that suits you. My Halo one is puke green, but it sits pretty much by itself in the dark that it doesn't really clash with everything else I have, which is black or silver.

If you can find a 20gb 360 hard drive cheap, you can always get the arcade edition. I know I was seeing some 20gb HDs going for $55 during the holiday and arcade editions for cheap. But it's going to get close to the premium price anyways, might as well just get that.

A co-worker just bought the Halo (Falcon-w/noisy drive) edition over the Elite edition (the Gamestop we were at were all out of arcade/premiums, just had Halos and Elites in stock).

He likes it and it doesn't clash with his decor. I'm sure someone will sell you their black faceplate if they're not using it. I've got a regular white, a Halo, Halo 3, and Ace Combat faceplates collecting dust in the closet, no black ones though. My son is using a Gears of War faceplate and I have the stock Halo puke green.

Edited by Chowser

The DVR stuff with the Elite has to be done through Microsoft's service. I think. I can't remember since I wasn't really looking into it, but MS was supposed to be parterning up with some cable companies or something.

Well, that wipes it straight off the table, because I'm not in the US. :) Seems like they need a MS Media Center PC to get it to work too, which means it's a non-issue to me.

Personally, I think 120gb is a bit overkill-ish, and colour coordination has never been my strong suit, so seems like the Elite isn't the variant for me. Maybe getting another variant and building it up to what I want would be cheaper.

Well, that wipes it straight off the table, because I'm not in the US. :) Seems like they need a MS Media Center PC to get it to work too, which means it's a non-issue to me.

Personally, I think 120gb is a bit overkill-ish, and colour coordination has never been my strong suit, so seems like the Elite isn't the variant for me. Maybe getting another variant and building it up to what I want would be cheaper.

Where do you live? Microsoft recently launched the Video Marketplace in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, and Canada. And no, you don't need a Media Center PC to get it to work. You don't need a PC period, just an Xbox 360, a broadband internet connection, and Microsoft Points. You get the content directly from the 360 on the Marketplace blade in the Dashboard. You buy TV shows, but AFAIK, movies are rentals.

The Elite version was the first to have an HDMI port. Once they saw how much slobbering there was for that, they added it to all their other SKUs.

Heh, so MS shot their own Elite sales in the foot? Well done.. :)

Where do you live? Microsoft recently launched the Video Marketplace in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, and Canada. And no, you don't need a Media Center PC to get it to work. You don't need a PC period, just an Xbox 360, a broadband internet connection, and Microsoft Points. You get the content directly from the 360 on the Marketplace blade in the Dashboard. You buy TV shows, but AFAIK, movies are rentals.

Asia -- Singapore to be exact. To be honest, I doubt MS here has the connections to make this happen anytime soon. I was hoping that we can record free-to-air shows (and finally replace that darn VCR! :p ) but it's not very likely.

Yata! I got my 360, with CoD4, Halo 3, Forza 2 and Ultimate Alliance and a spare controler.

I WAS planning to hook it up to the big screen but my folks are watching TV, so I just got it plugged directly into my 20 inch toshiba until I get back from AVP2R then when I get home they'll be busy doing other things and I can plug it in to 720i.

Halo 3 is tougher then I was expecting 0_o I've died more times in the last few lil checkpoints then I ever did in the first couple of big chapters of Halo 2. Those brutes are a pain in the damn ass!

Oh, but sadly, I can't get on XBL...it fraks up on the test when it gets to the DNS test......dunno how to fix it.

Edited by Hikuro

Adept apparently gets really good late, not early. Engineer is the only class known to actually be harder to win with.

Basically---the more powers you get, the more you can cycle through them while waiting for them to "reload". Eventually, (especially if you go with 'nemesis' specialization) you'll be fast enough to constantly use biotics, as you'll have so many with such quick cool-downs. Lift a geth, singularity the other, warp it, throw, shoot it, repeat. Adept (and its hybrids) have a high emphasis on controlling enemies with stasis and lift, to prevent them from hurting you, while focusing on the other enemies.

As opposed to soldiers, which attack an enemy while letting the others fire on them, and just taking the hits.

PS---are you using Liara in your party? Most everyone agrees that having 2 heavy biotic users is the way to go, then you can REALLY set up some lift/singularity/warp combos that can immobilize entire enemy groups while taking them down.

If you really want info, nothing will beat Bioware's own forums. There is a thread devoted entirely to maximizing use/powers of the adept: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/myvie...8&forum=104

Anyways, I got my Xbox360. Anyone still playing Ace Combat 6? Just flew online in an F-14D, loads of fun blowing people away with XLAAs, but totally outclassed by F-22s/ Su-33s in-close.

Trying also to figure out Armoured Core 4... that looks like fun, but all in Japanese so a bit tougher for me to crack. Don't quite like the cash-for-mission aspect though.

Adept apparently gets really good late, not early. Engineer is the only class known to actually be harder to win with.

Basically---the more powers you get, the more you can cycle through them while waiting for them to "reload". Eventually, (especially if you go with 'nemesis' specialization) you'll be fast enough to constantly use biotics, as you'll have so many with such quick cool-downs. Lift a geth, singularity the other, warp it, throw, shoot it, repeat. Adept (and its hybrids) have a high emphasis on controlling enemies with stasis and lift, to prevent them from hurting you, while focusing on the other enemies.

As opposed to soldiers, which attack an enemy while letting the others fire on them, and just taking the hits.

PS---are you using Liara in your party? Most everyone agrees that having 2 heavy biotic users is the way to go, then you can REALLY set up some lift/singularity/warp combos that can immobilize entire enemy groups while taking them down.

If you really want info, nothing will beat Bioware's own forums. There is a thread devoted entirely to maximizing use/powers of the adept: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/myvie...8&forum=104

I just landed on the citadel, so I only have Ashley and Kaidan.

The problem is that I didn't use the powers at all on New Eden because I flat out forgot about them. Perhaps I should just go with a class that shoots enemies instead?

And one more thing - there isn't a way to switch between party members like KOTOR, is there? Do you only have control over Shepard?

Anyways, I got my Xbox360. Anyone still playing Ace Combat 6? Just flew online in an F-14D, loads of fun blowing people away with XLAAs, but totally outclassed by F-22s/ Su-33s in-close.

Oh man....ify ou only knew how bad I wanna play AC6 online.................................oh man.

meh_cd----you're only that far? That's like, 15 enemies in. Of course you're just shooting enemies now, that's about all you've got. And if you forgot about the 1 power you probably have, then it's probably not going to be all that effective. Wait until you're at level 3 or 4 or something...

But if you just want to shoot everything, then yes, a class that emphasizes gun will probably have been a better choice. Soldier is the easiest class to play/win.

meh_cd----you're only that far? That's like, 15 enemies in. Of course you're just shooting enemies now, that's about all you've got. And if you forgot about the 1 power you probably have, then it's probably not going to be all that effective. Wait until you're at level 3 or 4 or something...

But if you just want to shoot everything, then yes, a class that emphasizes gun will probably have been a better choice. Soldier is the easiest class to play/win.

lol yeah. I'm taking it slowly and exploring everything.

What's more effective? Tech or biotics? I'd prefer a hybrid between one of those and weapons.

lol yeah. I'm taking it slowly and exploring everything.

What's more effective? Tech or biotics? I'd prefer a hybrid between one of those and weapons.

Personally I like biotics more. I think the powers are more useful for crowd control and they affect both biological and mechanical enemies.

OOooooo, I'm digging CoD4...though the game play is the same as always, this is actually alot of fun....wish I got more into Halo 3 then this....sort of surprised I'm not just hammering away at Halo 3 actually 0_o

While some people like using the NPC's to fill in for what they lack, I like using the NPC's to supplement what I have to be overwhelming in that category, basically "ignoring" one category. As a soldier, I always took along Ashley. My next run is vanguard, going to take along Liara.

PS---comboing? Using either one person or three, it's very effectively to use singularity (clump them all together) and then a tech attack---shield dropping, etc---since many techs are area attacks, if they're clumped together from a biotic power, you can hit them all at once. Or, singularity+shotgun carnage. Etc. Note that the AI is pretty good IMHO, and it will often do well on it's own if you want to let the computer use your NPC's party's powers, and you focus on shooting.

No, you can't cycle through other characters like you can in KoToR, which is a good thing in my book. Bioware went to so much trouble to allow the player to customise Shephard in any way they please that it would detract from playing as "your" character if you could cycle through the NPCs.

Plus, Liara? Pfft! Ash is the only way to go! B))

No, you can't cycle through other characters like you can in KoToR, which is a good thing in my book. Bioware went to so much trouble to allow the player to customise Shephard in any way they please that it would detract from playing as "your" character if you could cycle through the NPCs.

Plus, Liara? Pfft! Ash is the only way to go! B))

I'm sticking with Ashley for sure. I think I'll keep Kaiden as well because I'm a xenophobic dickhead.

No way, liara is way cuter than ash, even if her head looks like a starfish with a face. But a cute face. Besides, Liara can juggle a whole room full of baddies and send them flying into a wall and blow up turrets with nothing but the power of her mind.