The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

I'm shocked they didn't do something like that sooner. With as hard as they push the Gold memberships you'd think they would phase out Silver just to make some more coin. Heck, I upgraded to Gold a while back and never even use it... it's there if I need it but I just never use it. This kind of shenanigans makes me want to keep it "just in case" now.

It'll totally mess up AC6 online. Namco has 1 plane free with each DLC release (that includes the new texture maps for all the new planes) so that everyone can see the new planes properly online when other people use them without having to BUY all the new planes. If there's a 1-week delay in the free plane pack, then things get weird. I experienced it myself as I didn't download the latest free pack immediately, and the new Flankers wouldn't show up properly in-game, and it especially messed up the new missiles. (Because Namco expects everyone to get them immediately, because they're FREE)

Heh, Microsoft still makes money off Silver memberships, you're still exposed to all the ads when you login. The really disappointing thing is that paid Gold memberships still have to put up with ads. Doesn't really affect me though, after spending years online I've become pretty good at tuning out ads, I can't even remember a single ad I've seen on Live. Nor one that's made me want to actually click on it.

Anyone else see that ads are likely to have sound and music now? Anyone encountered one yet? (because one of the new options is "disable sound in ads"---but it might not be permanent, and thus you'll have to do it every time you log on, etc)

got a quick question since i'm finally about to get a 360.... are the newer style controllers for the regular xbox compatible with the xbox360? i read in another forum that they are, but the connection point needs to be changed to a usb connector. i have a xbox controller that came with a headset that plugs into the controller, i was told it was one of the final runs for controllers for the regular xbox. was just curious if there was any truth to that, thanks.

got a quick question since i'm finally about to get a 360.... are the newer style controllers for the regular xbox compatible with the xbox360? i read in another forum that they are, but the connection point needs to be changed to a usb connector. i have a xbox controller that came with a headset that plugs into the controller, i was told it was one of the final runs for controllers for the regular xbox. was just curious if there was any truth to that, thanks.

Nope, won't work. The 360 controllers are a slightly improved version of the S-Controllers anyways.

I just noticed that the backwards compatibility list was updated. The date says November 2007, but this is the first I've seen/heard of it, and I know I was looking for a particular game a few weeks back.

The Godzilla games are now supported!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!!! :) I can officially unload my xbox!

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/backwar...tygameslist.htm

I just noticed that the backwards compatibility list was updated. The date says November 2007, but this is the first I've seen/heard of it, and I know I was looking for a particular game a few weeks back.

The Godzilla games are now supported!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!!! :) I can officially unload my xbox!

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/backwar...tygameslist.htm

I think the list came out last week.

If they'd just spool to the HD it would not be much of a problem. I mean Oblivion pretty much required a HD and people didn't crap themselves over that. I still can't figure out why these new consoles come with hard drives when hardly any games use that function.

I think making the hard drive optional was the single dumbest decision MS made on the 360. The XBox got it so RIGHT(not just integrated save space for the first time since the Saturn died, but a cache/buffer area too!), and then they go and F it up for the 360!

Nope, won't work. The 360 controllers are a slightly improved version of the S-Controllers anyways.

"Improved" is debatable.

You can argue layout back and forth. I personally love the S layout and abhor the DualShock360 layout, especially with the "orphaned" start and select buttons(Unrelated: WHY does select still exist? WHY?!?!?!).

What you CAN'T argue is that the 360 d-pad sucks horribly. Again, MS nailed it on the XBox S pad, so why'd they have to go back and screw it up?

I think making the hard drive optional was the single dumbest decision MS made on the 360. The XBox got it so RIGHT(not just integrated save space for the first time since the Saturn died, but a cache/buffer area too!), and then they go and F it up for the 360!

"Improved" is debatable.

You can argue layout back and forth. I personally love the S layout and abhor the DualShock360 layout, especially with the "orphaned" start and select buttons(Unrelated: WHY does select still exist? WHY?!?!?!).

What you CAN'T argue is that the 360 d-pad sucks horribly. Again, MS nailed it on the XBox S pad, so why'd they have to go back and screw it up?

yup on all accounts.

Well, not on the layout, the placement on the old white and black buttons was just retarded. but the new d-pad IS retarded.

That's the reason that if I ever have to sell my 360, I'm either going to have to buy another controller solely to sell along with it, or find someone/somewhere willing to buy it sans controller----as I spent much careful time sanding out the D-pad area, and test-fitting various thickness pieces, to get the D-pad to actually work. (In all likelyhood, I will be selling it to Gamestop, when the 65nm GPU comes out---360's should be even cheaper by then, and the total "cost of upgrading" won't be all that much)

Also, the trigger and shoulder buttons don't hold up. My R-trigger and R-button are noticeably weaker than the L ones. R-trigger is the attack button in Oblivion, and with my setup, R-button is "max thrust" in Ace Combat. 2 games shouldn't wear out a controller. They still work fine, and should for years--but they are not what they were when new. "Newness" in a controller should last for a long time, not mush down after the first game that uses them as a main button.

(Actually, someday I'd like to buy a new controller, maybe black, and swap my modified D-pad and modified front half of the casing--then I'd have new internals/buttons, a cool color scheme, and be able to keep my working D-pad)

PS---the infamous "sanding out the D-pad circle" mod HELPS, but does not SOLVE the "it doesn't always respond" problem. You have to modify the D-pad itself as well. I'll explain more if people need to know. There is no one mod to fix it, it takes both in combination. But I do have a perfectly responsive 360 D-pad now. I still wouldn't want to play SF3 Third Strike with it, but it is certainly "suitable for selecting things on a menu" now, and Pac-Man.

thats would bugs me about the d-pad. forget about playing a fighting game with it, you would think when the MS people tried to navigate the DASHBOARD with it, they would have noticed that pressing "down" would register as left or right, seemingly at random.

Edited by eugimon

I'm shocked they didn't do something like that sooner. With as hard as they push the Gold memberships you'd think they would phase out Silver just to make some more coin. Heck, I upgraded to Gold a while back and never even use it... it's there if I need it but I just never use it. This kind of shenanigans makes me want to keep it "just in case" now.

With all the advertising they do, I was hoping they were going to go the other direction and give Silver the basic abilities to play games, etc. There is no way I'd ever pay for XBL when I have PSN and PC gaming for free...

I just finished it a few minutes ago. Definitely the most rewarding experience I've had with my 360 so far. Halo what now? In all honesty, for a new IP, the ME world is remarkably fleshed out. It's definitely a setting I'm looking forward to revisiting, be in in games, novels, movies, or even a good tabletop RPG.

Anyway, quick question... in KOTOR and Jade Empire, regardless of how you played most of the game, there were in both games a "point of no return," if you will, where you make a choice that determines your ultimate ending. Am I correct in assuming that

in ME, it's whether you rescue the Council or hold back the Fleet? Are there three different endings for ME, then, one for each choice? Does the conversation you have during the ending have anything to do with it?

so there are at least three unique endings.

question... so I was watching some divx movies using the video player and I was streaming these from my PC, when I noticed the newer files weren't being displayed. i checked my pc and the files aren't being used by any other program and they run just fin from the PC... i rebooted both the 360 and the PC and the 360 still can't see the files. So I transferred the files to a USB memory stick and the 360 can recognize the files just fine off of that but still can't see them off the network... any ideas?

NVM... figured it out, it was a permissions error.

Edited by eugimon

New 360 HDMI conversion kit for those that don't want to shell out for a new system:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie...uct%5Fid=802814

It even does 1080p, thats quiet impressive, I'm considering this now but I really want my 360 to shut up. :(

Also Zero Punctuation's review of Mass Effect:

http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/2...ass-effect.html

New 360 HDMI conversion kit for those that don't want to shell out for a new system:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie...uct%5Fid=802814

It even does 1080p, thats quiet impressive, I'm considering this now but I really want my 360 to shut up. :(

A. It's MadCatz. That should be enough to change your mind right there.

B. I'm pretty sure it's just taking the component video output and re-encoding it. Meaning that you actually get WORSE image quality than if you used component video.

I didn't find out until recently it was MadCatz, but JB0 already made the necessary comment.

Mad Catz or not, you can't get blood from a stone. Sad thing is there are a few poor souls out there that will buy it.

Edited by Gaijin

I get paid today so I wanted to just get a few items for my 360 as it waits to be awaken on xmas. I wana get a good cooler system for it but dunno which is good for a low price. I also saw this weird "light show" stand that seems to come in neon blue and green....wtf is that suppose to do if my 360 stands on top of it?

I recommend that you stay away from any kind of cooler-they've been known to cause more problems than prevent. A properly functioning '360 won't need a cooler...

gotcha. I had a pelican on my first 360, it was just used as a stand and didnt really do much.

Now on the topic of viewing movies, I liked tht Idea of just plugging a USB thumb drive into the console, I dont need any codecs do I? its not like Im going to play MKVs.

gotcha. I had a pelican on my first 360, it was just used as a stand and didnt really do much.

Now on the topic of viewing movies, I liked tht Idea of just plugging a USB thumb drive into the console, I dont need any codecs do I? its not like Im going to play MKVs.

when you go to play the avi file for the first time, the 360 will want to download the codec and then you're good to go.

People are reporting that the fans that plug into the 360 are messing it up. The one that uses the 360s power supply are not making full contact and causing the plastic to melt. And the other ones mess up the fan speeds/air circulation or something.

What I do sometimes is I have a plug in fan that I just plug in and have it move the air away from the exhaust of the 360 so that it pushes the hot air away. For now, I just keep at least 6 inches open on all sides (except for the bottom)

People are reporting that the fans that plug into the 360 are messing it up. The one that uses the 360s power supply are not making full contact and causing the plastic to melt. And the other ones mess up the fan speeds/air circulation or something.

What I do sometimes is I have a plug in fan that I just plug in and have it move the air away from the exhaust of the 360 so that it pushes the hot air away. For now, I just keep at least 6 inches open on all sides (except for the bottom)

yeah, by all means, have a fan around the 360 to help circulate air.

The problem with those fan systems are that they aren't synched to the case fans. So either it pushes in more air than the case fans can evacuate, causing the temp to rise, OR they actually cause LESS air to be drawn in and then the heat sinks can't function properly.