The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

Huh, I never knew that.

Then again I rarely use XBL. I bought like 6 months of it back when I first got my system and was quickly put off by all the foul mouthed infantile people online.

Here is an Xbox question that I have not heard an answer to:

Let's say you have one of the new Xboxes with HDMI or an Elite with HDMI... is the audio output only via HDMI? Or can you output audio using the optical jack or the RCA jacks from the other output port at the same time? I ask because a friend of mine just bought an Xbox (and it supposedly is one of the ones with HDMI) and his HDTV is an older CRT model that has only one HDMI port and he wants to connect to his HTiB for audio, but the HTiB he has doesn't support HDMI throughput. Can you have both Xbox outputs connected and running at the same time?

Anyone have any idea what that planet is or what's going to happen next? Any speculation rather? (I'm sure most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but for those that do...any thoughts/opinions?)

You mean the ending?

The planet was Earth, as I don't think what's-his-name in the white uniform ever left it. And unless I missed something from skipping the credits, MC died, the war is over, and the Elites went home, so as to what's next, I'd guess not Halo. Maybe a new Marathon game?

I've played a bit of Halo 3 online since the release, and one thing I've noticed is there aren't as many jerks. I don't think I've heard on racial slur or other rude insult yet.

I guess. I mean, no one called be anything rude last night, but I did have one guy who basically hung around and picked people off while they were weak after firefights who yelled "Bullsh*t!" every time I killed him.

You mean the ending?

The planet was Earth, as I don't think what's-his-name in the white uniform ever left it. And unless I missed something from skipping the credits, MC died, the war is over, and the Elites went home, so as to what's next, I'd guess not Halo. Maybe a new Marathon game?

There's more after the credits. Moreover, if you beat the game on Legendary, you get to see an additional 20 or so seconds more in addition to the footage after the credits. Maybe I should make a Halo 3 thread for spoilers....

I've played a bit of Halo 3 online since the release, and one thing I've noticed is there aren't as many jerks. I don't think I've heard on racial slur or other rude insult yet.

The same could be said when I first started playing Call of Duty 2 online back in November 2005. Mostly adult, mostly mature, and heck you could have a decent conversation with the people you were playing with or against. But eventually enough in the way of punk kids and the stupid in general will start getting Halo 3 once Christmas has come and gone...

But at the same time, too, the sillyness that some people have spouted out on XBL has had me nearly laughing my head off.

Here is an Xbox question that I have not heard an answer to:

Let's say you have one of the new Xboxes with HDMI or an Elite with HDMI... is the audio output only via HDMI? Or can you output audio using the optical jack or the RCA jacks from the other output port at the same time? I ask because a friend of mine just bought an Xbox (and it supposedly is one of the ones with HDMI) and his HDTV is an older CRT model that has only one HDMI port and he wants to connect to his HTiB for audio, but the HTiB he has doesn't support HDMI throughput. Can you have both Xbox outputs connected and running at the same time?

Yes.

Sort of.

Saw this on another forum.

The HDMI units are SUPPOSED to come with a redesigned AV cable that has the TOSLINK connector in a bulge on the cable. Those cables work just fine.

But some of the decks have the original-style TOSLINK-on-plug cable packed in instead. The original connector is too wide, and interferes with the HDMI port when it's connected.

It's an ugly solution either way though, what with the big wad of component/composite/analog audio cable hanging off. Sad that they won't spare the space on the deck for a dedicated TOSLINK connection.

Edited by JB0

Should have got Halo 3...

And I hope for your sake it's a new system, not a used one.

I already had Legendary on preorder so its kinda pointless since I was offered the regular version of the game.

As for the system it's one of the newer premiums before they added in HDMI. He'll replace it if anything goes wrong with it. ;)

How'd you pull off a deal like that? Did you introduce the clerk to your friend Smith & Wesson while you were negotiating this transaction?

I actually was searching up craiglist in hopes of finding someone to do a reasonable trade with me, and what ya know I found someone.

But I'm guessing the guy was desperate he wanted to mod the system and I'm guessing he didn't want to shell out money for the Wii and just get rid of the 360 considering that he never used Live on his system.

My only worry is the go around that Halo 3 has been red ringing people's systems. :unsure:

Edited by Ishimaru

My only worry is the go around that Halo 3 has been red ringing people's systems. :unsure:

Yeah, I saw that too.

Yesterday evening I successfully played through Loran's (Turn A Gundam) Original third mission on DW Gundam. After beating it and saving, when I started his fourth mission and I was going through the opening narrative and then setting up my mobile suit and piolt options I got a dirty disc error message. After I took the disc out, I quickly discovered a nice circular scratch on the outer part of the disc and going about an 1/8th of the disc around. Tried my own CD/DVD disc cleaner to see if that would work, but to no avail. Got hold of the store I got it from and they'll try to run it through their buffer machine and hopefully that will make it playable again.

But when I saw the story on Kotaku last night that some people's 360 were running into problems with Halo 3, I about panicked thinking maybe my Gundam game save got corrupted by Halo 3. I hadn't played Halo 3 since Tuesday night; I played nothing but Gundam on Wednesday evening and of course it was Thursday evening when I started having problems with Gundam. Tried my Gears of War to see how it was running and it seemed to be okay, though the online lobbies seemed to have gone bonkers. Then I stuck in Halo 3 and played it for a few hours and everything seems to be fine.

Hopefully it's just my DW Gundam being scratched that's the problem and hopefully it can be fixed (don't want to have to rebuy or replay through the whole game again!!!).

Or is it that people's 360s haven't seen much activity until Halo 3 and now their system's reached the mileage needed for a RROD?

No its just MS being retarded for not fixing the flaw in the system in the first place, no system should have this many problems even for Halo 3 this was expected.

Yeah, well about 2 years later MS is still dealing with these problems. Isn't this like, a record for all of console gaming history?

This would be the biggest console fiasco since the Atari 5200 with its defective analog joysticks. They also had a 100% burn out rate, and the only survivng joystocks are the ones people have modified themselves

Apollo Leader

DW gundam is what had my system RROD. Hope your system does not go the same way. What was the date of manufacture for your system? Mine was a first release 05

What was odd is that the first problem I had was errors saving the game, then freezing during game play, and finally RROD in 15 minutes.

Have had NHL '07 and Ghost Recon 2 on for over six hours straight without any problems before that.

Are newer "more complex" games making the 360s run hotter???

Wonder what if operating temperatures are lower with an origional Xbox game in the 360?

Yeah, I saw that too.

Yesterday evening I successfully played through Loran's (Turn A Gundam) Original third mission on DW Gundam. After beating it and saving, when I started his fourth mission and I was going through the opening narrative and then setting up my mobile suit and piolt options I got a dirty disc error message. .......

Hopefully it's just my DW Gundam being scratched that's the problem and hopefully it can be fixed (don't want to have to rebuy or replay through the whole game again!!!).

Well, I'm saving up money for a 360 again, I'd really like to get one since I had no qualms with my first, I just had to give it up to pay bills.

I never could figure out how to go live, I use one of those third party providers called CenturyTel.....apparently we can't get Comcast or Verizon or Qwest or whatever in my area cause we're so far into the sticks *shakes a stick*

So I contacted my ISP's the other night, got a response pretty quickly:

Comments:

Do you support Xbox360 Live? If so how can I get my Xbox to acknowledge my DSL connection? When it gets to the DNS portion of the test, it cuts off. If you don't support it...why not?

Their response:

We do not support XBOX Live because XBOX is owned by Microsoft and they dont allow other companies to support their product.

You guys think they maybe misread what I was asking them? cause....well that response was pretty weak sauce.

I think they're completely clueless. Live only makes money for MS when it's being supported and used by other companies. Yeesh, MS even has ISP-specific directions for hooking up for many companies.

Have you seen/tried this? http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connectt...ivitywizard.htm

Apollo Leader

DW gundam is what had my system RROD. Hope your system does not go the same way. What was the date of manufacture for your system? Mine was a first release 05

What was odd is that the first problem I had was errors saving the game, then freezing during game play, and finally RROD in 15 minutes.

Have had NHL '07 and Ghost Recon 2 on for over six hours straight without any problems before that.

Are newer "more complex" games making the 360s run hotter???

Wonder what if operating temperatures are lower with an origional Xbox game in the 360?

Good news. Turned out the scratch was the problem. The store I bought it from ran it through their buffer machine and it completely removed and repaired the scratches. Loran's levels were playable on their 360 so I got it home last night and I was able to continue playing from my last game save. I think that's the first time a scratch on a game CD or DVD of mine made part of game unplayable.

Finally one of my own friends in town got a 360 and Halo 3 so we and a few others did our first 360 party last night with Halo3. That lasted from about 9:00 in the evening to 2:00 in the morning. Lots of fun. :)

This would be the biggest console fiasco since the Atari 5200 with its defective analog joysticks. They also had a 100% burn out rate, and the only survivng joystocks are the ones people have modified themselves

To be fair, EVERYTHING fails eventually. The 5200 sticks just fail unusually fast.

Near as I can tell, the flex circuit technology they used just wasn't mature enough for the environment it was subjected to.

Hence why many 5200 sticks only have dead start and fire buttons.

I DID mod one stick, but only because I got sick of opening it to clean the contacts(weekly to monthly, depending on usage patterns). Ghetto aluminum foil mod for the win!

And I think that it's been overshadowed by the 360's RRoD, but surely we haven't forgotten the PS2's plague of Disc Read Errors? At least Microsoft's owning up to their issues.

And, for the record, I had a PS2 die from DRE, but I'm still playing my launch day 360. *hurries and knocks on wood*

Yes.

Sort of.

Saw this on another forum.

The HDMI units are SUPPOSED to come with a redesigned AV cable that has the TOSLINK connector in a bulge on the cable. Those cables work just fine.

Just what I wanted to ask. Mine has the cable with optical audio output at the base of the connector console side, but it overhang the hdmi port so no room for both cable useless someone comes up with a after marker cable, but I don't think that would be cheap. I tried the hdmi into my receiever but no sound. So I'm doing compontent into the tv and optical into the receiever.

Does anyone know have the same problem?

Just what I wanted to ask. Mine has the cable with optical audio output at the base of the connector console side, but it overhang the hdmi port so no room for both cable useless someone comes up with a after marker cable, but I don't think that would be cheap. I tried the hdmi into my receiever but no sound. So I'm doing compontent into the tv and optical into the receiever.

Does anyone know have the same problem?

New cables will probably run about $30(God, but I hate how they're overpricing everything to death on the 360...).

That's what the going rate seems to be.

And of course, you'll want the ability to look at the connector design in the package or an easy way to return them if they don't fit.

You could also harass Microsoft and see if they're willing to exchange it, since they screwed up.

Got back on track in playing DW Gundam this weekend along with some Halo 3 playing. Currently stuck on the fourth mission for Paptimus on the Original mode; got to keep all your supporting characters AND the Big Tray alive and in action! Got less then 5,000 kills needed to get the 100,000 achievement and just need to get the 8 and 16 character stages in Original to get those two achievements and I got this game beat. :)

I'm putting away money to buy a 360 when AC6 comes out. The question is if I should buy the premium or spend more on the Elite? I know the only difference between the two is the HDD and the case color. Any suggestions?

Try to get the "Falcon board" as listed above. Look at the manufacturing date of the console and get what works. You can always buy a bigger hard drive.

Best thing is ask to inspect the 360 before you purchase it to see if it matches the info listed on http://kotaku.com/gaming/cooler/xbox-360-f...nded-305370.php

Edit: Provided by Mike from the post above THANKS!!!!!

Edited by Fly4victory

So, my buddies went back to playing Halo 2 multiplayer this afternoon complaining that 3's Live system was too buggy and the maps are crap and the new weapons aren't that great besides bringing back the Assault Rifle.

Not impressed.