The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

I got in line a 10pm. I was number 6 in line. I got the Legendary Ed. Stayed up till 5:30am EST. I did some 4 player CO-OP on Legendary.

I haven't played an FPS, any FPS for almost 2 years now. I'm majorly rusty, I wouldn't last 2min on legendary, having enough trouble on "normal"

Played it for 10 hours this morning, basically right up until my Japanese class at noon. Drank about 7-8 cans of Game Fuel during that time. Given that each can has 73mg of caffeine (2x the amount of a can of coke) it's 2:30pm and I'm still wired.

The multiplayer is amazing. Basically improved upon an already near perfect multiplayer game (Halo 2) and with additions like the Forge it'll probably have even more longevity than it's predecessor.

The campaign is utter balls, though. The first half is decent, but the second half is boring, frustrating garbage. Lots of annoying parts made to extend the game time. It was a struggle to get through it, even on co-op. Only reason I stuck it out was for the unlockables, otherwise I would have said screw it. The final set piece is pretty cool, but goes on way too long, which kind of ruins it. The ending is confusing and poorly done. Despite the hype it manages to be worse than Halo 2's campaign, as I can't think of any parts of it that were really fun enough to warrant going back and replaying it.

Played it for 10 hours this morning, basically right up until my Japanese class at noon. Drank about 7-8 cans of Game Fuel during that time. Given that each can has 73mg of caffeine (2x the amount of a can of coke) it's 2:30pm and I'm still wired.

The multiplayer is amazing. Basically improved upon an already near perfect multiplayer game (Halo 2) and with additions like the Forge it'll probably have even more longevity than it's predecessor.

The campaign is utter balls, though. The first half is decent, but the second half is boring, frustrating garbage. Lots of annoying parts made to extend the game time. It was a struggle to get through it, even on co-op. Only reason I stuck it out was for the unlockables, otherwise I would have said screw it. The final set piece is pretty cool, but goes on way too long, which kind of ruins it. The ending is confusing and poorly done. Despite the hype it manages to be worse than Halo 2's campaign, as I can't think of any parts of it that were really fun enough to warrant going back and replaying it.

You're done already? :blink:

Halo 2.5 more like...

<_< I guess Halo 2 ended so abruptly because they decided to take one whole game, cut in in half, and then make us wait three years for the second half because they were doing who knows what with it. They certainly were doing much with the graphics. While Halo 2 was pushing the envelope for the original Xbox, Halo 3 looks only slightly better. The environments, especially the poorly rendered leaves in the first level, look hideous compared to games like Gears of War.

Exactly... for all the hype and time, /how/ exactly does this game make us need an Xbox 360? All my floor buddies are gaga over it "Look at how much new content there is! New guns!" And it looks like a shinier version of Halo 2... with a few new guns and new vehicles... I doubt the campaign showcases the story any better, but I'll withhold judgement until I play it... And yet, I'm still in awe of Resistance, which another of my buddies has... Looks like it's a fun game that runs, but I can't see any reason why we needed two games and a new platform for it...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/you-can-ring-my-b...bell-303654.php

LOL?

Pretty sad review, yellowlightman about the lousy campaign. :( It seems nowadays games are made for multiplayer and thrown in a campaign story as extras. The same could be said for Gears Of War. From all the marketing material you'd think the game will be uber epic.

I actually really hate Gears of War's multiplayer. I find it incredibly frustrating, with some inherent lag that just drives me crazy. I liked the GoW campaign alright, though.

That said I bought Halo 3 only for the multiplayer. If you liked the campaigns in Halo or Halo 2 I could see you liking the campaign in Halo 3 as well. A friend of mine who's a HUGE Halo fan and loved the campaigns in the first two games is really enjoying his play through, so your mileage may vary.

Xbox Live is utterly wrecked tonigh. I've been having a hard time joining up with friend or even joining games, I'm guessing there's just too many people online. The free three day trial probably isn't helping much either.

Pretty sad review, yellowlightman about the lousy campaign. :( It seems nowadays games are made for multiplayer and thrown in a campaign story as extras. The same could be said for Gears Of War. From all the marketing material you'd think the game will be uber epic.

That's the truth. I picked up Halo 3 for the online play, not for the single player campaign or the graphics really. But I still decided to give the campaign a shot, after the first two levels it was the clear to me that the dialogue and story were worse than H2's so I just quit and went online. The multiplayer looks to be very promising with all the new vehicles and gadgets such as the overshield drain and flotation devices, I can't wait to see how we'll manage to use these in CTF and BTB. I may come back for the unlockables, but that depends on whether the unlockables are really worth 4 - 5 hours of my time.

I haven't play GOW online yet, but I hear it's really laggy along with people cheating.

I finally popped it in last night and got to the 3rd campaign before switching over to some online play. So far so good. :) I'm hoping to start working on Halo 1 and 2's campain modes again since I never had the chance to get them beat.

You better take a few laps around the block with that kind of pop intake. ;) Hopefully Mountain Dew continues to make that stuff even if they have to drop Halo 3 from the packaging.

http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/news/20070922/1002961/

Some video from TGS of Operation Troy. Certainly looking more promising than I expected.

Looks good so far. Doesn't the Federation tank that one guy is driving gets stepped on buy that Zaku II? Hopefully they'll reinstate the Japanese title for this game for the US.

That's the truth. I picked up Halo 3 for the online play, not for the single player campaign or the graphics really. But I still decided to give the campaign a shot, after the first two levels it was the clear to me that the dialogue and story were worse than H2's so I just quit and went online. The multiplayer looks to be very promising with all the new vehicles and gadgets such as the overshield drain and flotation devices, I can't wait to see how we'll manage to use these in CTF and BTB. I may come back for the unlockables, but that depends on whether the unlockables are really worth 4 - 5 hours of my time.

I haven't play GOW online yet, but I hear it's really laggy along with people cheating.

Hmmm...that's too bad about the single player campaign. Seems these days game companies don't bother much with the single player campaigns anymore.

I only play GoW with some friends and of course they are more or less in the same geographic region thus there isn't really a lag. I find it very heart pumping and exciting.

Don't count on it. Have you started Original mode yet? I have one mission left for Jerid, then I have to beat it with Roux and Puru Two, and then I'll have finished both Official and Original with everyone. And as of now, I have just over 51 hours in.

BTW, Mike, how did you get the achievement for opening all mobile suits? I managed to get the all characters achievement before beating the end of Amuro's stage in Original mode.

BTW, Mike, how did you get the achievement for opening all mobile suits? I managed to get the all characters achievement before beating the end of Amuro's stage in Original mode.

I got that achievement just playing through the various main characters in original and official play. it just kinda happened.

Regarding the character achievement, it happened after beating one of the missions while playing as Amuro in Original mode... I had fully beaten Official mode with all the characters already. After beating Char's Original mode story, I'm thinking of playing the Heero, Domon, and Turn A girl's stories and see if that helps.

Regarding the character achievement, it happened after beating one of the missions while playing as Amuro in Original mode... I had fully beaten Official mode with all the characters already. After beating Char's Original mode story, I'm thinking of playing the Heero, Domon, and Turn A girl's stories and see if that helps.

Loran's a boy, dude. I answered you in a PM, but now I think you mean in the Gallery Mode, right? If that's the case, for me I'd finished Official with everyone, then played Original a few times. I think it does help to play as Loran, Heero, and Domon first.

Loran's a boy, dude. I answered you in a PM, but now I think you mean in the Gallery Mode, right? If that's the case, for me I'd finished Official with everyone, then played Original a few times. I think it does help to play as Loran, Heero, and Domon first.

I got the achievement without playing domon or heero. but I play loran.

Getting back to Halo... the damn game's broken. I just finished the campaign on Normal... I got all the Achievements for each level, but I didn't get the one for finishing the campaign. Explain to me... how can I play through all nine levels on Normal, watch the ending credits, and not have finished the campaign? That means I probably didn't get the EVA head either...

Realized this evening that the mobile suit achievement pertains to the gallery, not the playable selection of suits. After I beat Char's Originals missions, I started to play as Loran (who's clearly voiced by a woman in the English dub... I hardly know a thing about Turn A other then it have a mix of suits from the various Gundam universes and the Turn A's design was created by an American). After I beat and saved HIS second mission, that's when the Mobile Suit Gallery Achievement appeared. Four more to go!

Getting back to Halo... the damn game's broken. I just finished the campaign on Normal... I got all the Achievements for each level, but I didn't get the one for finishing the campaign. Explain to me... how can I play through all nine levels on Normal, watch the ending credits, and not have finished the campaign? That means I probably didn't get the EVA head either...

Did you play straight through on Normal or did you ever change the difficulty at some point or do anything else out of the norm? That stinks. :(

Did you play straight through on Normal or did you ever change the difficulty at some point or do anything else out of the norm? That stinks. :(

I played straight through on Normal. The only thing I can think of that might have screwed it up was that right when I started the 9th level, I shut off the Xbox without saving, so when I picked "Continue solo game" it was back at a checkpoint on the 6th or 7th level where I'd saved previously, so I exited out, picked campaign, and picked to start on the 9th level.

Oddly enough, I started a new campaign to go skull hunting, and during the opening cut scene, the Achievement popped up. :blink:

Anyone have any idea what that planet is or what's going to happen next? Any speculation rather? (I'm sure most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but for those that do...any thoughts/opinions?)

Well it's official I trade my Wii, Zelda, and $30 for...

360 Premium w/Hard drive, GoW, 11 Xbox Classic Arcade games, 2 Xbox Live headsets, 2 Wireless controllers, and 1 wired madcatz controller. :)

I'd say it's a pretty slick deal. ;)

Should have got Halo 3...

And I hope for your sake it's a new system, not a used one.

Edited by yellowlightman

Well it's official I trade my Wii, Zelda, and $30 for...

360 Premium w/Hard drive, GoW, 11 Xbox Classic Arcade games, 2 Xbox Live headsets, 2 Wireless controllers, and 1 wired madcatz controller. :)

I'd say it's a pretty slick deal. ;)

How'd you pull off a deal like that? Did you introduce the clerk to your friend Smith & Wesson while you were negotiating this transaction?