Age old debate??? Girls vs. toys

JEXPRIME

I swear I never thought that I would see the day....

My fiance does not mind me collecting per se, but when we get married she wants me to "not" display them!!! Ive been message boards for years and I thought this kinda stuff only happened to other guys. Hell she felll in love with me with a shelf full of transformers so whats make now so differennt? what make matters worse I have tons of TF and starwars stuff. I cant enjjoy it when it sits in cold storgage for years. How many of you beeen through this?

Hell she felll in love with me with a shelf full of transformers

exactly, the 1st thing women (and maybe some men) try to do is change you when you take "the next step". I'll just say this, Stand your ground for what you believe in and if you can comprimise (instead of displaying them in a china cabinet in the dinning room, display them in the basement or computor room, you do have to remember she will be living thier too and you can use this to get the things that bother you IE frilly doilies on the kitchen table)

I haven't been through it myself, but I've never had a massive collection either. My collection is relatively small compared to the standard fare found among fandom and none of my girlfriends have had much reason to be concerned about them.

However, I have to say with all honesty that I can understand the woman's point of view. I've seen collectors post pictures of their collections and the concept of "tasteful display" seems lost on most of these fellas. If I were a girl and saw some wall unit filled with hundreds of gaudy red/blue/yellow colored robots, I'd say a big "Hell no" too :)

On the other hand, it's all about give and take. As long as you don't display an overwhelming horde of them and the particular colors of the toys don't stand out like a pimple in the room, it's only fair that your display pieces are displayed.

fellas. If I were a girl and saw some wall unit filled with hundreds of gaudy red/blue/yellow colored robots, I'd say a big "Hell no" too :)

Quite true, excellent point. My wife has no problem with fighter mode. She did marry a pilot so my house is filled with 19 years of collected flight junk as it is.... Her big complaint is the robots. So there has been some compromise.

I've been married 6 years now and I know what you mean. I have a 3 year old son...so I could say I bought it for him.

Anyhow, she loves you, but not your toys. She'll make you throw away your favorite shirt (or whatever you really liked) if it doesn't look nice in the house.

You'll just have to make a room your "office" then you can display your stuff.

I've been debating if I should display my two 1/48s or keep them in box. I bought them as a gift to myself...does she know I got them.....

Quite true, excellent point. My wife has no problem with fighter mode. She did marry a pilot so my house is filled with 19 years of collected flight junk as it is.... Her big complaint is the robots. So there has been some compromise.

HAHHAHA, totally understandable. We actually had a topic on MW many years ago that was more specifically about Valkyries and Girlfriends. It was generally accepted that any new girlfriend should be broken in with the Fighter mode first.

:lol:

Of course, one's best bet is to marry either a doll/plushy girl or an artsy girl. Of course, then you have to tolerate their gaudy looking hobbies too :)

It's much easier when you say "I paid for half the house, I get to use half the shelf in the living room that you happened to help yourself to".

She got angry, but then she realized I was right and I get to use two top shelves of a four-shelf unit in our living room for "Guy stuff". Thus it's tastefully decorated with Macross Toys

Edited by Duymon

Go for a compromise. :p

My wife and I agreed, the toys and stuff are to be displayed only in the bedroom, where visitors don't go. It was after a discussion about other guys, their collections, and those guys that have life-sized Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, and Boba Fett costumes displayed on mannequins in their living room. :lol: No I don't have one of those.

Sniffle... I swear that my website exists more and more just so I can lock my toys away in boxes but still visit them without having to dig them out. You should be happy it's your future wife making you put the toys away instead of jobs and frequent moves. I hope some day to have a man room where my toys will be free once again... that's the angle I'd shoot for if I were you.

Thanks fellas.. as a collector i have went from the got to catch the all mentality to more "refined" stuff. not everyth9ng looks good on a shelf.

a buddy of mine just told me he displays his BT/ALT in car mode and his wife doent know they are robits!!! :)

my wife doesn't like public display of toys either, so like one of the posters above stated, get a "man room". I have the garage work area (an extension of the two car garage that is about the size of an extra car port), and a basement work/storage area (10'x10' room). Needless to say i spent a couple weeks properly replacing stored items throughout the house to give me work room in the basement, and setup a nice bench in the garage with shelves for display.

i'm not married nor do i live with my GF but shes been whatevs about it. she thinks its totally dorky but its my place and i have just about everything in the spare bedroom.

other than my aoshima dropship(still lovin it!), i don't let my toys seep out into the common areas of my apartment.

i'm not sure what would happen if i got married, but i'd definitely need a "man room" so i can buck with my dorkiness. :p

My EX couldnt really understand it, back then I only had a few TF`s and a few old Starwars figures.

What she really didnt like was the Radio controlled cars. Hell I was sponsered to race em and they lived in a cupboard, and I worked on them in the shed.

She`d throw a cog if we were still together now as my office room is all nicely decked out in macross goodies.

And before you all say Im unfair this girl collects buttons and shoes and Levis. For example she had 3 pairs of shoes the same and had never worn any of them, and 35 pairs of Levis Jeans and several hundred buttons, and, shes an arty type, so loads of weird paintings and phalic looking sculptures all over the house.

Nowadays If you dont like my car my fish, my Macross/ TF/Starwars and my Bonsai trees you can step the hell off IMO

Edited by big F

All in favor of home builder making a " man room" add on in the floor plans say "AYE" !!!!

they already do that its called ...

the living room :p

Actually having your own room to do with as you please is a realy good idea.

"Honey.....does this outfit make me look fat?"

"Honey......which mode looks better...fighter or Battroid?

which one is the more silly question? Better yet, which answer will not yield a slap? :D ..........or will it? :p:lol:

Edited by protodeviln

Dude, this is the trap. It usually happens when a girl feels she has you wrapped around her finger. Not that it's your case, but it tends to happen. My advice, gently stand your ground, and if it's not a problem displaying your collection (actual space), then hold your ground. A girl will not leave you because you want to display your stuff.

My ex tried to do the same thing, and it just made the relationship miserable. there were other issues, but that mentality of trying to get me to change made me want to spend less time with her. Stand your ground, and just tell her that it'll make you appreciate her more, and find a place to concede for her. It's about give and take, and equal give and take are good things to work on. :D

Haven't had a problem with my stuff, seeing that's it's displayed neatly and

in an expensive tique cabinent, especially bought for my collection. :lol:

But anything out of that cabinent is free game to the missus, and the cat! HAHAHA!

Seriously my display is tasteful and sweet looking, and it's mine. She is happy for me. Coz it makes me happy. :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Age old response, for an age old debate: A woman needs to know her place in the home, and that certainly isn't anything to do with telling the man of the house what he should be spending his leisure time with. Sorry, but a man's needs take importance over the egocentricity of some self-important woman. What is this nonsense about "getting wrapped around a woman's finger?" It's ghastly to see that real men are truly becoming scarce in the world. YOU are the MAN, YOU take CONTROL and tell that skank how it is or she can WALK.... :ph34r:

Edited by myk

haha... i was lucky enough to get my man room with my toys and stuff.... but i do have some things that leaked into the living room like my Star Wars FX light sabers....

My gf has control of our bedroom though so she has her own stuff in there....

here's my man room....=]

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by kiririth

hahaha...great stuff

just convince your fiancé that your valks will look more classy inside a very nice display cabinet that matched the interior decoration and the valk won't look too out of place, and if your OCD you could color coordinate your toys so the crazy color schemes don't stand out like a sore thumb, hahaha

by the way, I second the 'let's get all a man room', put me first in line for a more cheaper recast!! HAHAHA

Start building lots of models and get a hobby room :p My models gaurantee i get my man room:)

Completely true! :lol:

Model's undergoing a W.I.P., combined with the tools, paint, and assorted modelling equipment do not make beautiful sights (except for the builder and other modellers). Oh, and the paint smell, too... and the tools laying around. Lots of chicks don't like seeing tools laying around.

Once you do get a "Man Room," you're set. You can display your hobby collections, have a place to work in, etc.

The perfect place to store and display your geek items also, i.e. Star Wars stuff and such.

These rooms work great since it allows you to display your stuff AND it's all confined into one room so the stuff does not get scattered.

Wouldn't the proper name be your own "Geek Room?" B))

Edited by Warmaker

Age old response, for an age old debate: A woman needs to know her place in the home, and that certainly isn't anything to do with telling the man of the house what he should be spending his leisure time with. Sorry, but a man's needs take importance over the egocentricity of some self-important woman. What is this nonsense about "getting wrapped around a woman's finger?" It's ghastly to see that real men are truly becoming scarce in the world. YOU are the MAN, YOU take CONTROL and tell that skank how it is or she can WALK.... :ph34r:

LOL! So myk, been in any good relationships lately? :D:p

Wouldn't the proper name be your own "Geek Room?" B))

I like to call it a 'dork bunker'.

My GF doesn't care for my toys, but she's okay with it as long as I don't ask for display space in the living room. Every time I bring a Detolf home I hear: "Ow No! Not another one of those butt ugly Ikea display cases! Please take that thing straight up to your hobby room, yuk, ugly!'

I like to call it a 'dork bunker'.

I call mine my "Nerdcave." :D

I have a room in the basement that is MINE. I put all my nerdy crap down there and my wife doesn't say one word about it. However, she has some pretty girly things around the house that I don't give her crap about. The point is, we each have our "space" that we can put our desired objects in.

It's about compromise. You get to have your stuff, and she gets to have hers.

Gently, but firmly stand your ground, and come to some sort of agreement on where you can display your stuff. This will also have the side benefit of demonstrating to her that you are willing to compromise, but you aren't going to just lie down and let her tell you what to do.

If she won't compromise with you, then you need to show her the door. You won't be happy in a marriage with someone who tells you what to do and is inflexible.

best response in the thread. you live in San Diego (like me) so I know you're a Leykis listener, am I right?

the bottom line is this- odds are you paid for the house so its your place to say what can or can't go up.

get your balls out of her purse and display your stuff if thats what you want to do! life is too short to compromise anything for anyone. she'll respect you more for taking a stand anyways.

odds are your house is just FULL of crap she goes out and buys while you're at work so you've got every right to display your stuff too. sack up guys!

So far, that's what I've said, just without the harshness and namecalling. But it's true. Take your stand, and keep your collection where it is.

The idea of her having you wrapped around her finger is more along the line of what she may be thinking, subconsciously. It may not be true, may be totally opposite, but to her, she "feels" like she wants that to change about you. And since I would deduct that it has to do with her decor styles and/or your in-laws, take a stronger stand. You buy that stuff with your hard earned cash, like how she may buy shoes, or clothes, or house decor. Guys and their toys (actual toys, cars, motorcycles, models, comics, etc.) belong to a guy.

As a real estate agent, you learn two very important things. The first thing women look at when buying a home is the kitchen. The first thing men look at is the back yard and the garage. Why??? Because men want places for their hobbies. That time a man gets to work or to indulge in hobbies is a man's solice. Unfortunately, many women nowadays try to conform women to what their solice is, shopping, and pretty kitchens.

Establish your domain now, before it's too late. Don't cave in on your space, and if you can do that now, you won't have to cave in later on other things, which will be the next step, trust me, been there, done that. My fiance now is great, she likes my collection, lets me have that space, and gives me all the time I need to be a guy. In turn, it makes me want to be around her, respect her, and she respects me for what I have established and what I do. It's a two way street on that when it works right.

I saw this thread and laughed before even reading it :D ! I've been building so long and specifically Macross stuff, that my wife knew she had to take me and the models too!

When I left home (about a couple decades ago), my mom had the carpet redone in my old room because of the imprint where I sat on the floor building and from patches of glue.

My wife knows that when we look at a house she doesn't just see what she can do, but where I can work too! I think that's what's called blessed! :lol: - MT