Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

You Yanks can just stroll into Cabellas and pick up a pair of percussion sixguns for about $300, no paperwork required. But here...let me whet your appetite with this picture:

Actually...I think I can go to a reenactment and pick up a pair of Remington Army Model '63s for about $250....maybe less.

As for paperwork....some a-holes in the BATF and other groups in the mid-90s thought it would be smart to require us to get a permit before buying a percussion cap pistol. Thankfully, that one died before it could be even thought about becoming law. Its always nice to go to Officer's Call (since my Commander RARELY went...thats right...send a Sergeant to do a Captain's job) and be told that there are plain clothes BATF agents in the crowd and to please make sure our guys don't f&ck around and get us all arrested.

Actually...I think I can go to a reenactment and pick up a pair of Remington Army Model '63s for about $250....maybe less.

Wow, that's nothing to sneeze at. Of course, at that price they'd likely be Pietta's....not as if that's a bad thing or anything. In fact, my Remie is an old Pietta. It's starting to show it's age, but overall it's a pretty tight piece. I don't know how much "better" a Uberti would be. But as far as the Colts are concerned, the reviews of the Piettas have been mixed at best. That's why I want to spend the extra coin and get a Uberti 1851.

Damn... I knew none of this and had a mac...

Granted... it was aquired from some-one leaving the country for a while a whole lot cheaper than that... and sold back at a tidy profit a year later. I think I ponyed up for ammo twice during the year... "yippie... look at me... I just spent $50 shooting a cans, trees, and dirt". Might be a good weapon for crowd control in close quarters... but lord knows you'd be toast against anyone with a rifle who could shoot.

Was that gun semi auto? Cobray made hundreds of semiautomatic open and closed bolt pistol versions of their infamous submachine guns in the eighties under licesees like SWA, Lienad and Ingram. You might have had one of those... funny thing is those semiauto open bolt versions were the exact same gun as their submachine brothers they were just missing the sear and the folding stock. I've seen several of those guns that have had their trigger action bars worn down with age and now shoot full auto... dangerous dangerous guns those Macs, pieces of s#!t too.

So I can only assume that my friends shouldn't be modifying firing pins on non-chinese made AK's?

Yup, that's a federal crime.

should I also assume that I shouldn't put "modified sound supressors" in my trade post :rolleyes:

If those modifications mean demilling the suppressor so it no longer reduces muzzle noise then they are legal... if that modified word means "fabricated to funciton" then yep those are also federal crimes... ain't I a stinker?

I've seen some home made guns... and I don't mean saturday night specials either. Amazing what can be accomplished with a proper machine shop.... anybody here dabbled?

Interesting fun fact kids!: It is 100% legal for you as a private citizen of the united states to build and operate a firearm from scratch. The only stipulations are that the newly built firearm must conform to all the statures regulating firearm features (like the 1968 NFA regulations and the 1995 Omnibus crime bill) and that the gun you make must be ingraved with your name and it can never be resold or transfered to anyone else. So if you have the skills and the parts you can fabricate yourself a semi-auto STEN rifle from a length of pipe, I know people who do it all the time. As long as the gun meets federal laws it is 100% legal... some of those shop guns are really nice too, better than store bought!

nobody's answered my question about a 380 colt that looks just like a PPK? :blink:

I'm drawing a blank. There are tons of PPK knockoffs out there chambered in .380 ACP like the Sig Sauer 232, the Feg .380 and a few others made in China. If Colt made one I can try and look it up for you.

5) H&K MK.23. That gun is a joke. Designed by committee, so oversize. Never gets used by all accounts.

For what it's worth... despite the ongoing myth, the MK23 *is* actually used currently by US Navy Specwar. Many in the teams find it a good weapon, if a bit large. It's also taken instead of the P226 in wet environments (where the P226 is known for corrosion problems). It's not quite as unused is it's commonly thought to be, despite initial reservations... and SEALs seem to be endearing themselves to it again.

-Al

My words of comfort to those who do not follow the "way of the gun":

Don't fear the gun, it's just a tool. Fear the person behind the gun and what their intentions may be.

Seems to me that most of us in this thread are ex or current military, law enforcement or have a good solid background reflecting training and respect for firearms. I make it a point to not associate with "gunfools"... we all know gunfools: the guys posing in front of a mirror with their guns, spinning them on their fingers, leaving them lying around the house, trying to shoot everything they see, etc. The biggest killer of legal gunowners is their own stupidity so everyone show their guns the propper respect.

Oh and give Agent a hug, he needs some reassurance that we won't hurt him.

The only .380 Colt ever made to my knowledge was this one.  It resembles the Walter PP, more than the PPK.

Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless.

1908.gif

Didn't Hideki Tojo carry one of those? I think he shot himself in the stomach with one of those...

Edited by Druna Skass

OMG Hey boys check out this site, now if we could only get rid of gas engines, we would be the 21 century

Don't get ahead of yourself man....

Those rifles are still conventional ammo firing weapons...

5.56 MM gas blowback with a rotating bolt is nothing new, as a matter of fact, it's 30 year old technology.

The electronics of the weapons are kind of neat, but I won't get excited until we get a good modern caseless round out there in military circulation, or better yet, beam or plasma weapons.

I dont have as much guns as you guys but ill list some i have.

AR-15

10mm Delta Elete (misspelled). I understand why the feds went with a trimmed down version and called it .40cal

30-06 from rock island armories (sporterized) somewhat our family gun. its been passed down to me from my dad and b4 that to his great uncle. Looks like the Sniper Rifle from Saving Private Ryan and proly is one.

300 Wetherby mag. Hurts to shoot both your shoulder and your wallet. cost me 7 bucks to reload each shell.

10/22 ruger. old faithfull i call it that cuz it survive a f-350 running into us when we got in a car accident. only suffered a cracked stocked.

44 mag. i like it. oddly i call it ring cuz if you dont wear ear protection thats what your going to hear for the next couple of hours. i reload then 1 grain over factory recommended.

Im not realy a gun person but a reloader. I have tons of reloading equip and dies for all my guns.

I dont have as much guns as you guys but ill list some i have.

AR-15

10mm Delta Elete (misspelled). I understand why the feds went with a trimmed down version and called it .40cal

30-06 from rock island armories (sporterized) somewhat our family gun. its been passed down to me from my dad and b4 that to his great uncle. Looks like the Sniper Rifle from Saving Private Ryan and proly is one.

300 Wetherby mag. Hurts to shoot both your shoulder and your wallet. cost me 7 bucks to reload each shell.

10/22 ruger. old faithfull i call it that cuz it survive a f-350 running into us when we got in a car accident. only suffered a cracked stocked.

44 mag. i like it. oddly i call it ring cuz if you dont wear ear protection thats what your going to hear for the next couple of hours. i reload then 1 grain over factory recommended.

Im not realy a gun person but a reloader. I have tons of reloading equip and dies for all my guns.

1 grain over, no wonder your ears ring, as if the .44 mag didnt have enough in it :rolleyes:

On to the edged weapons gentlemen....

You WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS !!!!!

http://filmswords.com/news.htm

Working, functional repros of...

Conan's sword

Conan's Father's Sword

Other swords from Conan

Connor Macleod's Sword

The Kurgan's Sword

The Kurgan's TAKE DOWN Sword, with carrying case.

That's it, I need to sell off a kidney.

do fletchette guns exist? I remember the old thing from "three days of the condor" where an individual used bullets of ice stored cold till just before use that left no trace but water...

I remember, and I'm probably not the only one, the air gun injectors they used for giving large groups of military personel shoots and vacines...

How about frozen slivers of narcotics propelled fast enough to penetrate skin and render the target immobile or what-ever depending on the chemical composition of the fletchette. I assume with all the scary ass stuff our military has it might be out there some-where?

guns i own & love: my mossberg 590 marine-grade 12 guage shotgun.the 590 being a little longer than the 500 enabling it to carry 9 rounds(eight under & 1 in the chamber).it's nickel plated & absolutely awsome to shoot(especially w/ the pistol grip). & my most recent purchase: springfield armories xd-series 9mm.very cool to shoot & it's looks remind me of maj. kusanagi's handgun in "ghost in the shell"

my dream rifle to own would have to be a styer scout rifle.

do fletchette guns exist? I remember the old thing from "three days of the condor" where an individual used bullets of ice stored cold till just before use that left no trace but water...

I remember, and I'm probably not the only one, the air gun injectors they used for giving large groups of military personel shoots and vacines...

How about frozen slivers of narcotics propelled fast enough to penetrate skin and render the target immobile or what-ever depending on the chemical composition of the fletchette. I assume with all the scary ass stuff our military has it might be out there some-where?

they tried that on mythbusters...

BUSTED.

What shotgun would you guys reccomend for "home defence"?

I myself would not personally use a shotgun for home defense... too messy, too wide of a blast pattern. You'll end up taking out more of your house than the perps. Also keep in mind that in most states it is illegal for you to shoot someone who is stealing your property unless they present a clear and present danger to you or your loved ones. Basically that means if someone breaks into your house unarmed to rob the place you cannot legally shoot them! But if it is a home invasion robbery and they are armed and threatening your family then, as chief wiggum says, anything you do to them is nice and legal.

Back on to your question though:

The best shotgun for home defense is one with a short barrel (18") a decent magazine tube capacity (say more than 6 shells) and a short stock or a pistol grip. You want something as small as legally possible so you can better manuver it indoors. I myself would also recommend a self-loader (semicauto) so you don't have to keep racking the slide so much BUT it is proven that just the noise of someone racking a shotgun is enough to freak out most criminals so that choice should be yours. You'll want one that can take full 3" shells and I would recommend loading it with large buckshot "big game" shells, not bird shot. Loading it with slugs is pointless as you are going for the "shotgun effect", slugs would be just like a normal rifle which you don't want as a high powered rifle round or shotgun slug can go clean through walls and hit innocent people. I only own one shotgun, a Beneli M1 Tactical, which is in truth not actually mine... it belongs to my fiancee but it is in the safe next to all my stuff so my logic claims it as mine also! :p It's an OK weapon, sort of ungangly and haphazzard. Shotguns are more "volume of fire" weapons than precision pieces like pistols and rifles. With enough training you can be just as deadly with a pistol as an untrained person can be with a shotgun... and do less damage to the furniture if the unthinkable should happen.

I hate shotguns but the thing about pistols is that they have too much penetrating power. You may end up killing someone in the next room by accident no matter how well trained you are.

I work in bail enforcement and I carry my 9mm with me everywhere I go. I keep my mags loaded with standard FMJs but the round in the chamber is rubber. The few times I've been forced to fire that one rubber bullet has been sufficient to incapacitate the target without messy wrongful death lawsuits as it shows that my intent was not to kill. (I don't get paid unless I bring them back alive) Even if the rubber bullet doesn't do the job I know that I have 15 FMJs that will. ;)