Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

any of you guys know of any good sites on the german ww2 era sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle? this tops my list for most wanted vintage guns.this was the worlds first automatic chambered in a rifle cartrige.this was the inspiration for my other favorite gun,the AK-47.better yet,any of you guys been lucky enough to have seen 1 in person or handle 1? i'll bet the the price on 1 of these is through the roof.

The Maschinenpistole 43/Sturmgewehr 44 has to be one of the "holy grails" of German wartime firearms. They are out there, but in what capacity and what numbers is unknown. The great majority of them were destroyed by the allies as they were recovered from the German army at the end of WW2 and only a handful were spared. Most of the ones that survived did so on the eastern front in the hands of the Russians who admired the gun's deisgn. Oh and by the way the StG44 is a completely different gun than the AK47, they just look similair. Their actions and Mechanical operation could not be more different... (and also never tell Mr. Kalishnakov that his AK47 is a derivative of the StG44, he gets quite livid when people make that assumption. See the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun" show about the AK family to see the interview they ask him that and watch him get all riled up).

As to the availability of an actual StG44 in today's marketplace... two words: good luck. Not only would the weapon fall into Class 3 weapons status (requiring a ATF form 4 submission and a $200 stamp tax to own) but you have to remember it is a rare piece of history and is not only being sought by gun collectors, museums, historians and the occasional crazy person but that getting repair parts and ammo is virtually impossible. Unless you want the thing as a wall hanger, a safe queen, a secret to pull out at gun shows or as daddy's little angel that wins him the gun show history category every year I'd say give up the pipe dream now while you are still sane.

Rumor mill had it that some company abroad (who's name rhymes with Dorinco) was planning to make a reproduction of the Sturm 44 chambered in some modern caliber but that same rumor mill also tells us that their efforts to copy the gun met with failure... mostly due to them not having an original in their hands to copy. Other people have also told me their are copies on the market but I have yet to see one to know that they do exsist. Also keep in mind that the gun, if produced as a copy in today's market, could not posess most of the features it originally had and would be a mere shadow of it's real self... but to some people a copy is about as good as you can get.

Just yesterday, I came across some pictures of some European paratroopers still carrying MP44's in the late 70's or early 80's. Of course I can't find it now, but it is out there.

As for No-wring-ko making an ATF compliant MP44, I'll believe it when I see it. Between 1897 Winchester copies and the M14/16 clones, they seem to have become the favorite "last hope" for collectors who want reproductions of obscure firearms. Personally, I'm holding out hope that their rumored Mauser C96 Broomhandle comes to fruition.

i guess what i really ment by the AK-47 being inspired by the sturmgewehr44 is that the 44 was what started the whole assault weapon chambered in a rifle cartrige.not anything more than the 44 being ground zero for that line of thought in the next era of assault weapons.i did see that show on history channel about the history of the german WWII era weapons.i believe they stated the production #"s for the 44 being 10,000 i think.if only the ones on the eastern front with a chance of surviving,i guess when the russians get back far enough in that warehouse to get to the captured lugers & walther's we'll start seeing more sturmgewehr 44's.damn,i always want the most elusive weapons.guess i'll just keep my sights on a norinco chinese AK-47/MAK-90 pre-ban chambered in 7.62mm.i just love that stock w/ the thumb hole grip. :wub:

maybe a picture of the sturmgewehr44 will have to do for now :(

Hey all. I'm looking into buying a replica Civil War Era Officers saber. any advice on manufacturers? what should i be looking for? how much should i pay? thanks for any info!!!

Which type of officer? North, south, army, navy, marines, artillery, foot infantry, cavalry, general officer? They all used different swords. :blink:

Hey all. I'm looking into buying a replica Civil War Era Officers saber. any advice on manufacturers? what should i be looking for? how much should i pay? thanks for any info!!!

Try Dixie Gunworks, or maybe even Cabela's. Are you looking for a real sword, or just a decorative wallhanger?

m4a1 wha?

"Consequently, the M-4 is an unlikely candidate for the rearming of the U.S. Army. It is now viewed as an interim solution until the introduction of a more advanced design known as the Objective Individual Combat Weapon, or OICW.

There is no date set for the entry into service of the OICW, but officers in Iraq say they expect its arrival sooner than previously expected because of the problems with the M-16 and the M-4. "

m4a1 wha?

No, I said "M41A," as in this beauty pictured here. And I wouldn't count on seeing the XM29 OICW just yet. That program is still ongoing, and from what I've seen, opinions are pretty mixed as to how effective it will actually be.

you also need to find some acidic blood aliens to use it on and a side kick that only says game over.

People need to realize that the military doctrine that led the Vietnam war and the development of weapons for it is no longer thought to be capable of winning wars today. The only reason the M16A1 was allowed to become the M16A2 in the early '80s was because the military was still operating under those outdated tactics and beliefs. It took a new war fought with new weapons (the 1990 Gulf War) in a totally different environment to begin the winds of change blowing in the military to kick off a new doctrine in small arms.

Gone is the notion of volume of fire... gone is the notion of "he who can shoot the most, wins"... gone is the notion of making a super simple "soldier-proof" weapon for draftees... and gone is the concept of the limited sight engagement... they are being replaced with the new lines of a war were close combat inside cities, buildings and vehicles is taking shape. The ability to look and shoot around corners from protection and over obsticles is more important to the light weight of the weapon. With the introduction of the new Land Warrior system and the linking of soldiers with their command element in real time with the ability for everyone to see and hear what is going on requires new weapons that can better adapt to any situation. With the "professional" status that our military now employs there is no need to keep weapons simple and rudamentary as you have all the time in the world to train an eager to learn volunteer soldier how to operate his brand new heat seaking, thermal imaging, laser guided gun.

But one thing that the military planners should take heed of is history: Never introduce a new weapon on the troops engaged in a current military campaign without first making sure all the bugs are worked out of it's design and knowing the troops are fully aware of the weapon's function and capabilities. Compare and contrast these events in war: in 1943/44 the war department engineers a brand new, super cheap to make submachine gun called the M3 Greasegun. Made from stampings the gun costs much less than the Thompson to make. Realizing that the troops, who had been training with Thompsons, would need to be brought up to speed on this new gun before they could be expected to field it in combat the general staff of the army did not issue the M3 to currently engaged troops. Rather they issued them to boot camp troops who had time to train on the guns before being deployed and they gradually replaced the Thompsons with the M3s in the field as new troops came in to replace the old ones. Soon after the first few groups of M3 units hit the field, everyone in the lines wanted an M3 Greasegun so command began issuing them to all troops with propper doccumentation and instruction were possible. The M3 seamlessly replaced the Thompson in the field, but seeing as it fired the same ammo as the Thompson those troops who wished to retain their Thompsons were allowed to do so on their perogative and there were no ammo supply issues... Fast forward to Vietnam. A military weapon called the AR15 was rushed into development and deployment by a bunch of beurocrats who knew nothing about weapon design or function and was classified the M16. This rifle was forced upon the troops in the field in Vietnam by top brass with no instruction on it's operation... they were basically told to go out onto their base perimeter and fire off a few bursts into the jungle to get a feel for their new rifle. Time passes... the rifles begin to malfunction en masse, causing casualties and confusion. Only after actual firearm people are allowed to review the weapons because of a congressional comittee appointed them to do so they discover that the lack of a chrome plated chamber, the use of ball powder rather than stick powder and the lack of propper cleaning supplies and instruction resulted in the guns jamming and getting people killed. The military finally copitulates and issues cleaning kits and training manuals to their troops... but due to the lack of education and attention of the draftee army they have created the cleaning manual has to be issued as a comic book to make sure the troops can propperly understand the importance of this change in proceedure. Also the older weapons are slowly upgraded to the new M16A1 design with a new chrome plated bore and chamber, a newly designed buttstock to allow a cleaning kit to be kept inside and a new magazine design with a stronger spring and higher capacity is fielded to bring the gun up to snuff.

So you see, it is easier to develop a new weapon and field it first in the hands of pros than it is to foist it upon troops in the field. The M4 carbine replacing the M16A2 is no big thing as they are basically the same weapon with the same strengths and weaknesses but as you can see by current military tests going on both with the OICW and the Land Warrior system, it is inherrant that troops be fully trained on the new equipment before deployment otherwise nasty things from the past may happen again.

Which type of officer? North, south, army, navy, marines, artillery, foot infantry, cavalry, general officer? They all used different swords. :blink:

oops. a union or reb Cavalry sword, the real deal or a wall decoration.

here's a picture of 1 of my current babies :)

1 of the reasons that it got my attention is that it has a striking resemblance to major kusanagi's handgun from "ghost in the shell"

MVC_203S.JPG

post-26-1069607822_thumb.jpg

Edited by valkyrietestpilot

Guns

FN P-90

FN Five-Seven

the specs on that weapon are insane. plus its cool lookign and I have one for Airsoft. hehe

Lightsaber of course too much fun if Ihad one of those or a Vibro Blade (for those who read star wars books)

PSG1 would be nice.

The Aliens gun looks cool but impractical. Had a guy play with one in an airsoft game. the damn ammo counter is on the wrong side. in terms of practicality. Unless your Left handed this gun will get you shot. We were playing in a CQB area (its a factory) and in dark areas you can see that counter a mile away. plus if your right handed the counter is ont eh far side of the body so its not easliy readable without compromising your weapon stance. You would have to turn the gun aroudn to look at the counter.

Oh I would love the gun from Judge Dread [The Lawgiver II] or the gun from splinter cell. pseudo made my p90 to look like that gun if you look closely it has a bull pup design liek that of a Steyr Aug. The mag is loaded at the bottom so I have a box mag that uses a M16 mag as the bb loading device.

post-26-1069609507_thumb.jpg

Solcscud, I gotta ask, what's the deal with you and the airsoft police force thing?

Are you a cop? If not, don't the cops in your area get a little freaked out when they see people all decked out in police raid gear complete with realistic looking weapons?.

Where I live, that would get people arrested.

I found it!! Here's an example of an MP44 in Yugoslavian use. there's no date for the picture, but the site claims that it was in Yugo service until 1983. Just thinking of a couple hundred of those babies sitting in some Yugoslavian warehouse, soaked in cosmoline, just makes me all giddy.

post-26-1069688046_thumb.jpg

Well I personally own the following:

Favorite - 12th century Oakeshott Type X arming sword with curved crossguard and brazil nut pommel (replica)

10th century Oakeshott Type XI arming sword with straight cruciform crossguard and wheel pommel (replica)

13th century Oakeshott Type XIIa great sword with curved crossguard and wheel pommel (replica)

Taurus PT-99 9mm Parabellum in stainless with three pre ban 15-round magazines

Cimarron Uberti 1898 Artillery .45LC cal 5-1/2 inch barrel in charcoal blue

Taylor's Uberti 1863 Cattleman .45LC cal 5-1/2 inch barrel in modern blue

Winchester 94 carbine .45LC cal 10 round capacity tubular magazine

15-lb hand crossbow

What I really want is an Angus Trim Model MS-2103 Leaf-bladed sword with Christian Fletcher "elven hilt" modification. And a HK USC.

why not just use G36s?

It's my understanding that the XM-8 is essentially a G36, just dressed up differently. I assume it's easy enough to mold up a new/different housing without changin the internals of the rifle. The US army may have different requirements for folding stocks and whatnot.

Or more to the point, it's not an M16, which is what really seems to be driving this program.

I like the idea of a 12 gague shotgun module.

You mean like that setup the Punisher used to carry, back in the old Lee/Potts War Journal days?

I dunno. I'm not much of a comic book kinda guy. I think it was Billy in Predator that had an M-16 with a shotgun attached. B))