Transformers Super Thread 5

WTF is that!?!? haha. That's looks terrible. Looks like megatron mixed with prime. Mega Prime! Yuk!

I was wondering when that pic'd show up here. I'll make a prediction:

We might have the greatest "toy vs TV" appearance discrepancy since G1. Because there's no way THAT Prime can transform into ANYTHING with those proportions.

Alternately: That's not a robot. That's a superhero in red and blue, with a mask.

Solution: They're going to revisit the Pretenders, only instead of a humanoid shell with a bot inside, it'll be a realistic vehicle shell that splits in half to reveal a humanoid figure inside! :ph34r:

Sadly, despite the incredibly non-Transformers art direction, I'd wager this show winds up being a lots better than RiD, Energon, or Armada.

On a side note, I find it hilarious that they're really promoting the "animated Transformers" angle. Look kids! It's just like that big blockbuster movie but animated! Animated Transformers! Who'da thunk it?!

I was hoping it would be dark and with more comic book-ish tones like what happened with the teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon. Just g1 updated for today. Proportions are all deformed in this..:(

I wish they made the cartoon for a general audience. (something that both kids and adults of g1 could enjoy)

Remember Clone Wars? Was that just for little kids? I'm seeing a lot of the same sort of comments as when the art style for that was first made public.

I agree that the choice of art direction is questionable, however it's far to soon to write it off as something just for kids, when it might wind up being far more mature in storytelling than Armada, RiD, Energon, and the like.

Again, I hate this art style. Just saying the art direction does not necessarily dictate the sort of story telling we can expect.

Remember Clone Wars? Was that just for little kids? I'm seeing a lot of the same sort of comments as when the art style for that was first made public.

I agree that the choice of art direction is questionable, however it's far to soon to write it off as something just for kids, when it might wind up being far more mature in storytelling than Armada, RiD, Energon, and the like.

Again, I hate this art style. Just saying the art direction does not necessarily dictate the sort of story telling we can expect.

I hated Clone Wars. I can't stand this animation style. :ph34r:

I really liked the clone wars. I thought the art style worked well for that series. I just don't know about it for transformers. Still, lets remember that the old cartoon characters were super blocky as well.

Heh, well they certainly weren't this blocky. If your biggest draw to Transformers are the designs, this show certainly will not appeal. I'm just hioping the writing is decent. Even there I'm worried, but we'll see.

Heh, well they certainly weren't this blocky. If your biggest draw to Transformers are the designs, this show certainly will not appeal. I'm just hioping the writing is decent. Even there I'm worried, but we'll see.

I heard that it was on a earth where humans and cybertronians live togeather, and sit down for afternoon energon snacks. :wacko:

Starscream blows up two human-flown Raptors in a new TV spot.

Recently I`m watching TF-Galaxy Force, overall not bad and Soundwave is awesome. What I like to know why was it a flop ?

Because evidently Takara doesn't know how to market the line to its own people in a way that will interest them, in that as they don't emphasise TF's differences to average japanese kids shows, they try to make it like other japanese shows. Even somebody from Takara admitted that they admired TF for its western themes and values, which is frankly something they SHOULD have capitalised upon.

Cybertron did well for Hasbro.

You know what I thought of the first time I saw this?

IPB Image

Loonatics Unleashed

IPB Image

Remember this horrible creation of some WB hacks/execs in trying to update the Looney Toons characters to make them hip and cool in a "modern" animation style?

Seriously, I cannot stand modern American animation. Why is it full of this style? Is it supposed to be hip to not be able to draw properly? Or rape childhoods with this kind of thing? For something cheeky and exaggerated as a parody of other genres, this kind of style works (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack)...What is with this kind of animation style? Why does it have to be so simplistic? I was already frustrated throughout the nineties with the kind of animation we got in most series (Battletech, MIB, Ghostbusters Extreme) but this is just wrong to me. But when you are updated an old established genre like the Transformers or the Looney Toons, and give it this kind of supposedly hip, irreverent, loose infantile animation style I don't know what people are thinking...

If this show is a Transformers comedy like Dexter's Lab (this guy looks like Dexter frankenstein'd Star Convoy with Cybertron Prime's head in his basement) and we end up with Robot Hero like toys - okay, I'll probably be laughing my head off (but it wouldn't have the G1 in-jokes we like in the fan-based creations). I was unhappy with the direction the Batman franchise went with the slow kidification and simplification of animation up to The Batman - but the new series is still moderately realistic looking and hey - it's cute and well written. If Prime looks like what he does in that shot, I shudder to imagine what the show will end up like.

I think it's supposed to be hip right now to not come up with any new ideas and just regurgitate other people's ideas in a desperate attempt to cash in. Although the same can be said for the movie industry, the music industry and pretty much every other facet of American life. :)

I am guessing it's the movie people trying to cash in with a Samurai Jack like cartoon in the same way Star Wars hit it off with the Clone Wars. I doubti t has much to do with "updating the style for a new generation" like Loonatics. Studio executives have a very odd way of looking at things, like they see trends, follow what happens to be popular, and completely miss the reality of why it was popular and then try to cash in on an aspect that is completely irrelevant to the popularity of the thing they are mimicking.

My favourite example of this is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. When that movie bombed, execs pulled the budget on a dozen or so high profile, big budget CG animated movies. The reasoning was, FF:TSW failed because it was a CG movie, and people didn't want CG movies that year.

When Spider-Man 2 and Shrek 2 hit it big at the box office, the popular industry reasoning was that "people liked sequels that year" and so a bunch of sequels were lined up to cash in on a "sequel-mania" that never existed except in the minds of studio execs.

I picked up the Autobot/Decepticon games for the DS, I'm liking it. This stuff will diffenetly keep me tied over until the console game hits and the movie.......I'm really digging the voices, cept for Blackout, that guys a freaking mamoth and yet he doesn't sound like one. Could care less about Brawl, that guy sounds like .........damn I can't remember, the tank from Armada.........ugh....I wanna say Devestator but it's not, meh Ironhide in Japan :p

Gah, the colours and the really poor "weathering" (that I'm dissapointed to see that they seem to be sticking with) make me lean towards just ordering the Takara version...even if the Hasbro version fixes the issue with the back joints. This Hasbro version just looks cheap. I mean, if they bring the price down to $20-30 maybe, but past that I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I picked up the Autobot/Decepticon games for the DS, I'm liking it. This stuff will diffenetly keep me tied over until the console game hits and the movie.......I'm really digging the voices, cept for Blackout, that guys a freaking mamoth and yet he doesn't sound like one. Could care less about Brawl, that guy sounds like .........damn I can't remember, the tank from Armada.........ugh....I wanna say Devestator but it's not, meh Ironhide in Japan :p

Demolishor. Demolishor is awesome... until they ruined his noble death by turning him into a dump truck who acted like a gorilla :(

New pictures of the Hasbro G1 Starscream in both modes. It's poorly transformed though.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=138870

Chris

I prefer the MP colors. The red and some of the white on this looks really cheap. I'd prefer an anime accurate Skywarp. I wonder what the MP will look like. We haven't seen anything excepts for the tiny pictures when the news first broke.

I like this color scheme better than the bizzarro teal monstrosity of the MP version, but I honestly think the giant dirty streaks will keep me from getting it if they are present on the final version. It doesn't look 'real' or 'detailed' or 'dirty' or 'weathered', it just looks like a mistake. Maybe he flew to close to Astrotrain and got some coal smears, I don't know.

Some day I'm sure there will be a good paint scheme for this toy.

I have to comment again:

Whoever's weathering that SS just doesn't have a clue about airplanes, especially the F-15. If there's one plane on earth that doesn't ever reveal its panel lines it's the F-15. If you want to go get mocked at an airplane modeling forum---panel line your F-15.

Adding black streaks and highlighting the panel lines/joints of something which which is known for being clean and smooth and featureless does NOT make it look realistic.

That's like saying toning down a red 2007 Corvette and making the paint dead flat with gigantic black exhaust stains all over the rear bumper makes it more "realistic". No, it doesn't. Corvettes are bright, shiny, glossy red and after years of operation don't get black bumper streaks AFAIK.

New pictures of the Hasbro G1 Starscream in both modes. It's poorly transformed though.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=138870

Chris

There was a pic of it with the legs extended in one page of that thread.

This thing will be very cheap, right? Because at first I though it was a bootleg Classics SS :blink:

The moulded red parts would look less cheap if they were painted.

Edited by Twoducks

There was a pic of it with the legs extended in one page of that thread.

This thing will be very cheap, right? Because at first I though it was a bootleg Classics SS :blink:

The moulded red parts would look less cheap if they were painted.

Not bad at all.

IPB Image

yea, the red looks a little orangey, and the dirt and panel lines aren't my cup of tea, but compared to the teal wonder, this one looks aweseome!

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to remove the "weathering" with a little brasso (or whatyever you folks are using nowadays)

Gah.

Hasbro's MP Starscream looks gastly with that horrid 'real life' smear and leakage patterns.

They should've just gone with standard Air Force light grey, no or little weathering (in the right spots!) and have the hinges in the same colour.

As it stands, my teal MP Screamer looks better, despite his not-so-blue livery.

Movie line Dropkick

Anybody know what truck he's based upon?

I'd say the Pussywagon. :lol:

Looks like a GM-ish pick up.

All the movie tie-in characters aren't associated with existing vehicles.

The GM contract probably only extends to the characters with movie screen time.

Edited by T.V.

Starscream looks like crap. I cant believe some knuckle-head out there thought it was

a good idea to paint it like this. It looks like somebody did a really piss poor custom job.

This had better see alot of changes before it gets released b/c that paint/weathering needs

to be cleaned up. If not then I'll go with Takara.

I wouldnt comment on the colors as it could just be the white balance thrown off a bit due to the tile and possibly the flash bouncing off the tile behind it. Save judgements on color till you actually see/hold one in your hands.

It always makes me laugh when people gripe about colors when the pictures in question were obviously taken by a person with no professional skills and with a point and shoot camera.

So save the judgements/gripes/etc for when the official hasbro "professional" shots come out.

:D

P.S. I'm talking about the coloring of the reds, greys, blues, whatever. Not the panel lining, which I agree looks terrible.

Edited by Fatalist

I wouldnt comment on the colors as it could just be the white balance thrown off a bit due to the tile and possibly the flash bouncing off the tile behind it. Save judgements on color till you actually see/hold one in your hands.

It always makes me laugh when people gripe about colors when the pictures in question were obviously taken by a person with no professional skills and with a point and shoot camera.

So save the judgements/gripes/etc for when the official hasbro "professional" shots come out.

:D

P.S. I'm talking about the coloring of the reds, greys, blues, whatever. Not the panel lining, which I agree looks terrible.

I want them to produce a cartoon accurate Starscream but the panel line / weathering is crappy. thats what i meant. It doesnt even need to be weathered just make a clean version. Hopefully they'll get it right but if not ... <_<

I don't give a crap whether Starscream in realistic colours and weathering or not. I just wanted the tooling in his G1 colours, sold by Hasbro so I can hopefully obtain it easily.

Then our Japanese friends will say 'farting Takara and Kawamori!'

I'd say the Pussywagon. :lol:

Looks like a GM-ish pick up.

All the movie tie-in characters aren't associated with existing vehicles.

The GM contract probably only extends to the characters with movie screen time.

I am well aware of that. Most realistic unlicensed Transformers are based upon real vehicles, though changed slightly for legal reasons. Such as Cybertron Hot Shot, he's based on a Chrysler ME 4-12 concept car and an M1117 security vehicle thing.

I was just wondering what truck Dropkick is based upon.