Transformers Super Thread 5

Quoted for truth!

Since Hasbro cancelled both the Alternators & Titanium lines ... I don't think they "care" about the collectors. They had an amazing 6' Titanium Shockwave prototype already made ...

Even though it's old news, it still hurts. *sniff* Well, maybe the Masterpiece line will continue....I hope.

According to Botcon reports there was specific talk of Sideswipe & Sunstreaker. And if i remember correctly there was possible mention of the rest of the Dinobots and maybe Octane and Jazz. Not all in one wave of course, unfortunately that's all i can remember from what was mentioned for Classics. The official transcript is floating around here some where. :wacko:

Octane in Ultra class. Folks at the panel said Octane is a triple changer robot who can transform into a robot, tanker, and C-130 Hercules. Hasbro also said that they eventually want all the triple changers made into classics. Ultra is being put in instead of voyager. Galvatron was being hinted at, as an all new mold, not another megatron repaint. Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are a go, they might do Arcee as well, same with Jazz and Prowl. Eventually Ironhide and Ratchet.

Go here for tfw's panel report. Botcon unveiling panel

Though Hasbro said Hercules (apparently a quote) I wonder about that. Octane is a personal fave of mine, but how to hide 4 propellers in the other modes? Seems like a bad choice because of that. Especially since he was a 747 in G1. (Yes, a twin-engine 747, but clearly a 747) Other people reported "large bomber" for his plane mode. Has Octane actually been seen in some form?

Though Hasbro said Hercules (apparently a quote) I wonder about that. Octane is a personal fave of mine, but how to hide 4 propellers in the other modes? Seems like a bad choice because of that. Especially since he was a 747 in G1. (Yes, a twin-engine 747, but clearly a 747) Other people reported "large bomber" for his plane mode. Has Octane actually been seen in some form?

If I recall correctly, the resin prototype was shown in the slideshow. Tfarhive.com and a few other sites had C-130 down as the plane mode. I can't find the play by play panel report they had but I think it was in there. I do know for sure the numerous tf sites said bomber and C-130, and more than 1 said C-130. I can see fans mistaking the C-130 for a bomber if they are not that knowledgeable on planes. However since more than 1 site said C-130, I think it actually is one.

Though I would be happier with a B-52 :lol:

If hasbro care about the collectors (not necessarily only the ones that can attend the damn conventions) they should release TC, Dirge and thrust. No way would people pay the insane prices those people would just for repaints. You are only shooting yourself in the foot in the long term for that.

So which characters are going to be done in the next classic wave?

At the time when they greenlighted to Fun Publications Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust, Classics wasn't going to continue as a line. Remember, Classics only existed to plug in the product line gap that occured when the movie was moved from November 2006 to July 2007.

What do you mean shooting yourself in the foot? Classics was not a collector line - its a line sold to the mass market that has collector appeal, and there was no guarantee that flogging all six fighters would mean they would sell. Its instead highly likely you'll end up with shelf warmers after the collectors had had their fill of seekers. The market could only support so many variations of the same mold and don't mention shortpacking as a solution to shelfwamers, because then collectors would start threatening to burn Hasbro down for daring to shortpack X favourite character.

It doesn't mean its impossible for Hasbro to EVER use the Ramjet and Starscream mold again in G1-ish colours for those three characters, just not anytime soon, and they have a bunch of new toolings for the new Classics line that they would rather release instead, and indeed, retailers would rather stock instead.

Quoted for truth!

Since Hasbro cancelled both the Alternators & Titanium lines ... I don't think they "care" about the collectors. They had an amazing 6' Titanium Shockwave prototype already made ...

That's rubbish. They do enough for fans considering we aren't the most profitable market to make products for as evidenced by the retailing failure of several 'collector' lines.

Why was Alternators cancelled? It wasn't selling very well and Takara was steadily losing interest in the line (and Transformers in general) due to the fact that Binaltech was doing even worse and they were in the midst of a merger with Tomy. You can't expect Hasbro to continue investing money in a line that retailers don't want to stock anymore. And it was an expensive line to do.

The same goes for Titanium 6" Cybertron Heroes - retailers didn't want them so they cancelled the line (and that Shockwave toy looked awful.)

I thought the Alternators were selling well? I know all the stores in my area sold out pretty quickly. Seemed to be the case all over. Binaltech, ja, it would have helped Takara's cause if, after switching to plastic rather than diecast, they had dropped the price to match rather than tossing in little character figures to try and add sex appeal. Still, if the Alternators weren't at least selling well, that's a shame.

*edit*

Just a thought, will we still see Alt Hot Rod? I'd rather grab the Takara version, with the fishing pole and nicer paint scheme, but that's like impossible to find these days.

Edited by Radd

*edit*

Just a thought, will we still see Alt Hot Rod? I'd rather grab the Takara version, with the fishing pole and nicer paint scheme, but that's like impossible to find these days.

Alternators Hot Rod as been confirmed as a SDCC exclusive this year. Probably like the Classics and last years SDCC exclusive (Nemesis Prime) that'll be about the only place you can get him... at retail that is. <_<

HasbroToyShop might actually have some up too like they did last year with Nemesis Prime, but that could be a huge hit or miss because the site was so wonky for alot of the ppl. trying to order them (myself included) that by the time things were resolved they were sold out to those lucky few who could actually get through to the site.

Gah, probably cost just as much to snag a Takara version if I can find one then. Off to Google I go.

Oh, right, it's sold out, everywhere. SDCC exclusive it is then. Meh.

Edited by Radd

Ja, a link to those pictures in another forum was posted a while back. Looks good, though it still appears to have the "carbon scoring" down the back, if the photos on the box are any indication. If the back hinge issues are fixed in this, I'll nab it. If not, I'll grab the Takara version.

Anyone have or play the TF Movie game? There are a TON of different designs in there I'd love to see toys of, Shockwave is the pimpest shiz. He's an Apache style chopper AND a artillery style canon.

The same goes for Titanium 6" Cybertron Heroes - retailers didn't want them so they cancelled the line (and that Shockwave toy looked awful.)

Sorry mate, but I thought 6" Titanium Shockwave prototype looked cool ... I'm hoping Hasbro eventually releases the mold elsewhere, like maybe in the Classics line.

:rolleyes:

IMO, I think it was the lame 3" Titanium mini-toys that made the TF Titanium line unprofitable. All the stores in my area sold out of the 6" molds pretty quickly. Same goes for the Alternators, which were friggin amazing G1 homages (well, except for car alt mode Grimlock I suppose).

:ph34r:

Guest sh002

I agree. Just like 6" Titanium Rodimus and Scourge, Titanium Shockwave looked like a cool homage and updated version of the G1 figure.

Well I'm hoping to still run into the 6" Titanium The Fallen, Ultra Magnus (G1 and WWI version) and was Grimlock 6" WWI version coming out still? Also, after watching the TF movie I decided I wanted the 6" TF movie titanium Prime but now they've sold out and none of the Targets have restocked them and they're exclusive to the store as well. Drats.

Edited by baronv

Gah, probably cost just as much to snag a Takara version if I can find one then. Off to Google I go.

Oh, right, it's sold out, everywhere. SDCC exclusive it is then. Meh.

It looks like it will see a mass release in Asia/Pacific kinda like Nemisis Prime did. BBTS.com has it up for preorder for $47.50.

I heard that although Binaltech was not doing well the Kiss Pla Hot Rodimus and Autolooper sold well. As well as MP-3 Starscream and MP-5 megatron, which last I heard was going to get a second production run. So I don't see why they wouldn't retain the Masterpiece line. MP-5 Megatron was a brave move by Takara Tomy in my opinion.

It looks like it will see a mass release in Asia/Pacific kinda like Nemisis Prime did. BBTS.com has it up for preorder for $47.50.

I heard that although Binaltech was not doing well the Kiss Pla Hot Rodimus and Autolooper sold well. As well as MP-3 Starscream and MP-5 megatron, which last I heard was going to get a second production run. So I don't see why they wouldn't retain the Masterpiece line. MP-5 Megatron was a brave move by Takara Tomy in my opinion.

Megatron has another production run in fall. It might be a while before we see MP Starscream in japan again, since the mold is being used for Skywarp next.

BTW I think what lead to the demise of Titaniums was a combination of factors. First and foremost, the TF design team did not design those. The galoob division that worked on action fleet worked on the titaniums and star wars tfs. This is why there are huge differences between those 2 lines, and the mainline transformers designed by the actual tf design team. Distribution was another problem, however I think this is more of walmart's fault than hasbro's. For all we know their corporate buyers may have ordered enormous amounts of shelfwarmers not realizing said characters were doomed to shelfwarm. Also the waves were rather small. When faced with the superior sculpts, design, and more affordable price of the Classics and Cybertron figures in the same aisle, the titanium line probably lacked consumer attention. Had the TF design team done titaniums we might be seeing a much different story.

I thought the Alternators were selling well? I know all the stores in my area sold out pretty quickly. Seemed to be the case all over. Binaltech, ja, it would have helped Takara's cause if, after switching to plastic rather than diecast, they had dropped the price to match rather than tossing in little character figures to try and add sex appeal. Still, if the Alternators weren't at least selling well, that's a shame.

*edit*

Anyone have or play the TF Movie game? There are a TON of different designs in there I'd love to see toys of, Shockwave is the pimpest shiz. He's an Apache style chopper AND a artillery style canon.

*edit*

Alternators did better than Binaltech, but it wasn't to retailer satisfaction and expectations from a Transformer line. You know the big bubble packaging? That design was largely down to retailer demand for something more eye-catching, allowing one to more easily inspect the vehicle mode.

Alternators Rodimus will be an SDCC and Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive.

They made toys of some of the game characters, including Swindle (the Chevy Colbalts), Dreadwing (the fighters), Longarm (towtruck based upon the one in the film), Payload (armoured truck), Dropkick (Silverado pickup).

Sorry mate, but I thought 6" Titanium Shockwave prototype looked cool ... I'm hoping Hasbro eventually releases the mold elsewhere, like maybe in the Classics line.

:rolleyes:

IMO, I think it was the lame 3" Titanium mini-toys that made the TF Titanium line unprofitable. All the stores in my area sold out of the 6" molds pretty quickly. Same goes for the Alternators, which were friggin amazing G1 homages (well, except for car alt mode Grimlock I suppose).

:ph34r:

You have it back to front - the 3" Titanium line is evidently faring better than the 6" line did, which is why that segment of the line appears to be continuing. If, as you suggest, they are lame and unprofitable, then who keeps buying them?

The septicon is hilarious!

Btw still no reviews on the Soundwave? I heard from somewhere that it can't read SD cards larger than 1 gig. Why is that?

You have it back to front - the 3" Titanium line is evidently faring better than the 6" line did, which is why that segment of the line appears to be continuing. If, as you suggest, they are lame and unprofitable, then who keeps buying them?

Is Hasbro continuing the 3" Titanium line? From what I read on the BotCon reports, I thought the ENTIRE TF Titanium line was getting cancelled?

As for who keeps buying them, I have no idea since they sit on the shelfs where I live, right beside the Attacktix toys ...

:lol:

Well I'm hoping to still run into the 6" Titanium The Fallen, Ultra Magnus (G1 and WWI version) and was Grimlock 6" WWI version coming out still?

I read on the BotCon reports that WWI Prowl was going to be the last 6" Titanium released ... and supposedly in low numbers (not that the other 6" Titaniums were released in high numbers - meh)

Is Hasbro continuing the 3" Titanium line? From what I read on the BotCon reports, I thought the ENTIRE TF Titanium line was getting cancelled?

As for who keeps buying them, I have no idea since they sit on the shelfs where I live, right beside the Attacktix toys ...

:lol:

Thats what I heard too. The only titanium line continuing from what I recall, is the 3" titanium Star wars line. Not even the action fleet sized Star wars titaniums survived the axe. In my experience, none of the titaniums aside the 3" star wars sold well at all. They were all shelfwarmers. Sure some of the 6" titaniums were based on Don Figueroa's character designs but the engineering was still done by the galoob star wars team, not the TF design team, hence the major differences between titaniums and the mainline tfs.

Btw still no reviews on the Soundwave? I heard from somewhere that it can't read SD cards larger than 1 gig. Why is that?

The following is a review of ML Soundwave done by BraveMax of the TFW2005 forums.

Well - I got a reader and put (of course) "You've got the touch" on the card along with some other Transformers-themed music as theme music for a quick review.

No pictures yet... Maybe I'll take some later and start a thread. I figured you guys'd rather have info, though. If you want pics of anything, LMK. I've put MP3 functionality in with Alt mode, even though it works in both modes.

Overall: This isn't even going to replace anyone's iPod Shuffle... Practically non-existent interface, no options, minimal storage and battery life... I hate to say it, but only Transformers fans could be roped into buying this guy.

Box includes:

-Soundwave

-"Electric Launcher" - Shoulder weapon

-"Wave Bluster" - Rifle

-Headphones (Ear-Bud style)

-4 extra fists (Right and Left Rifle-Grips, and Right and Left "touch-my-own-eject-button"s)

-Tech Spec Card

Specifications:

-Can only play MP3 files

-Can only use MiniSD Cards up to 1 GB

-Audio Range: 60Hz ~ 16Hz

-Bitrate: MP3: 128 kbps

-Output: 2mW

-Battery: Says something about a type 4 Alkali Battery, but the slot fits AAA Batteries.

-Assuming the use of the above-mentioned Alkali Battery, the player will supposedly play for 6 hours.

Alt Mode/MP3-Player Features:

If I'm recalling Titanium Soundwave's size correctly, ML Soundy is maybe a little thicker. The transformation is essentially the same, right down to how his fists store. The major differences are the following:

A) ML's alt mode feels and looks more solid - like an MP3 player that resembles Soundwave's alt mode rather than a mishmosh of parts that resemble an MP3 player.

B) No place to store the extra fists or the weapons.

C) 5 buttons on the front instead of three.

D) ML Soundy is also, of course, lighter.

The headphone jack is located on his right shoulder, and it's the jack you use to plug in his Electric Launcher in Robot Mode.

If you press the eject button the cassette door opens, revealing a MiniSD slot. Somebody goofed and left a bunch of green circuit board exposed, but otherwise it's tasteful and well-done. Standard "push once to lock, push again to eject" functionality on the SD card.

After inserting an SD card, you press the "play/pause" button for "2 seconds" to turn the MP3 player on. Once it's on, a blue LED will start flashing in the upper left-hand corner of the tape deck door. This light flashes slowly while music is playing and a little faster when paused. It's actually a little distracting.

Strangely, the tape deck door doesn't need to be closed for the player to work. Be careful not to blind yourself with the LED :-p

That, unfortunately, is about it for the Alt. Mode. The MP3 Player can skip forward and back, but can't fast forward or rewind. You can adjust the volume up and down, and it can get decently loud. Sound output seems pretty good - but that depends on the headphones I imagine...

Robot Mode Transformation:

- Slide back panel on top of player and head spring-launches into place. It doesn't stay up as well as I'd like...

-Fold fists out from the bottom, unlock the wrists from the back and swing them out to the side.

-Slide shins out to side and rotate them back and down. Fold down toes and heels.

-Slide shoulders up and forward into final place.

-Attach shoulder cannon.

And you're done. I just did that while listening to music with no problems :-p

Robot mode:

Articulated at the:

-Shoulders (Forward, back, side to side)

-Elbows (Rotational, forward and back until you hit straight position.)

-Wrists (Rotational, in towards body)

-Hips (Forward, back, side to side)

-Knees (Back and forward to straight)

-Toes/Heels (Each can fold up towards leg)

-Head (Raised ball joint. All directions)

Aside from some random "machiney" patterning, he's more or less bereft of detail. Still - doesn't look half back. Very simple and elegant. I just wish his head wasn't bobbly....

Fists suffer from Titanium Soundwave's problem - look like someone duct-taped a board onto the backs of their hands. Main body is a little think compared to the rest, but that's to be expected.

Over-all, not THAT impressive. Should have been a big basic or a small deluxe. I guess the electronics cost a lot?

The playing, BTW, seems to waffle between "repeat" (IE, once the end of the playlist is reached the whole thing repeats) and "once through".

Based on the above review ML Soundwave still sounds good enough for what I want/need. I was only planning on using the MP3 function at work, so 1GB worth of 128kbs music will be just fine. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have a readout, but I know what I'm listening to 99.9% of the time anyway, so it's no big deal.

The real reason I'm getting him though is the killer sculpt, and nothing in the review indicates I'll be disappointed with him as a toy. I do really hope a 'gutted' version is released in the US at a lower price so other people can get their hands on this guy.

The only thing that bothers me is the energy source. AAA size batts? Alkali battery i presume is your normal AAA alkaline batts or is he talking about something else? I was hoping they'll include a rechargeable NiMH battery or something.

Thats what I heard too. The only titanium line continuing from what I recall, is the 3" titanium Star wars line. Not even the action fleet sized Star wars titaniums survived the axe. In my experience, none of the titaniums aside the 3" star wars sold well at all. They were all shelfwarmers. Sure some of the 6" titaniums were based on Don Figueroa's character designs but the engineering was still done by the galoob star wars team, not the TF design team, hence the major differences between titaniums and the mainline tfs.

Battlestar titaniums sold ridiculously well.

The only thing that bothers me is the energy source. AAA size batts? Alkali battery i presume is your normal AAA alkaline batts or is he talking about something else? I was hoping they'll include a rechargeable NiMH battery or something.

My CreativeLabs MUVO MP3 player uses one AAA battery and if I put an Energizer Lithium in there it lasts forever (not literally, but it seems like it), and that's powering a backlit LCD screen as well as the music hardware. I bet a lithium AAA in Soundwave will last even longer since he seems pretty bare-bones.

I do think the BSG 3" Titaniums were usually sold out where I am at. The only ones that sit a while were the Cylon Raider Scar which I find once in a while. Same with the Action Fleet size BSG Titanium.

I'll miss that line if they cancel the 3" line since that's where I buy the capital ships from the series' I like.

Guest sh002

Digital toys has it for preorder for a less crazy price than ebay. Still a little expensive but I can't find it just like I can't find Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus so I preordered that as well.

Anyone have any luck finding the new Deluxe Bumblebee Camero '07 toy?

It's selling on eBay for crazy prices ...

:mellow:

Just give it a few weeks. Once all the stores get thier big shipments in then buy one. People are just raping others on Ebay because that toy has just literally hit some US markets.

Just give it a few weeks. Once all the stores get thier big shipments in then buy one. People are just raping others on Ebay because that toy has just literally hit some US markets.

I'm hoping that's the case ... when the initial TF movie hype dies down. But I figure that Deluxe Bumblebee Camero '07 is probably going to be the most popular character bought by the general "casual-fan" public ... next to Optimus Prime.

Edited by Vermillion21