Transformers Super Thread 5

Thanks Tober.

Hmmm, probably different "doodler".

But, there ain't no harm in sending me an invitation! Hee :)

Back in the days I carried the name [uSA]_Doodler-7. That was when I roamed the planes of online gaming from Counter Strike, Team Fortress to Soldier of Fortune.

(Sigh) Those were the days.

They still say "MH-3" instead of MH-53. Who wants to bet they never fix that in the final film?

Also, when Prime pulls up and stops---that is nothing like what a 379's brakes sound like. Trust me. That sounds more like a Super Soaker exhausting its last puff of air pressure...

And SS still has blue afterburners in jet mode (wrong) yet seems to have perfect orange-yellow ones when transforming or in bot mode.

Still, overall I have to admit--the movie looks better with every new second of footage I see.

Ok, I'll refine it:

Prime doesn't sound like a semi at all. And Starscream's afterburners are colored like no jet that I know of. It's not those specific types, it's those general types of vehicles. I mean, if Prime sounded like a Model T it'd be a bit more obvious to people that something was wrong, but it's the same general idea of "not even in the right categroy".

Ok, I'll refine it:

Prime doesn't sound like a semi at all. And Starscream's afterburners are colored like no jet that I know of. It's not those specific types, it's those general types of vehicles. I mean, if Prime sounded like a Model T it'd be a bit more obvious to people that something was wrong, but it's the same general idea of "not even in the right categroy".

I don't know about you, but I dont know many jets or semi's that can transform. Who's to say What they should sound/look like? :rolleyes: It's a movie. A movie about machines from space. :blink:

Ok, I'll refine it:

I know, I know. I think you just need to take a step back and stop thinking so much. ;)

Alien machines trying to blend into modern America as closely as possible. If SS is trying to disguise himself as a normal F-22, having bright blue exhaust really gives it away that he's different. Same for Prime---if he pulls into a truck stop sounding like that, every trucker's going to go "WTF was that?"

Maybe they use use sophisticated holograms, and only the audience can see the imperfections because we know they are disguised robots. Sort of like how in cartoons when they have an invisible character we can see the outline of the person when we shouldn't if they were really invisible. :p

So which toys are worth getting? So far the only one that looks interesting to me is jazz. I think movie Star scream looks too short and dwarvish in robot mode and the guns are too oversized. Why do today's robots have to have massive weapons that would be so heavy that it would probably put them off balance to try to hold properly?

I hope the autobots get jetfire in the second movie. That way we can finally have a macross style valkyrie with fighter gerwalk and robot modes in a movie with realistic cg fx. Forget macross zero dogfights. Jetfire vs starscream dogfights is what I want. Think about it: lots of mid air transformations, circle-strafing, ducking and rolling between buildings like macross plus, close quarters combat with maybe one dying dramatically. (Jetfire should "die" just like he was supposed to in the original tv series where he gets buried and the autobots don't even bother to dig him up to see if he is still alive :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I nabbed a bunch of the toys at my local target, here are some pictures.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Overall I enjoy them. I wish BB had clear windows and that the roof and rear window didn't interfere with his poseability so much in bot mode.

So which toys are worth getting? So far the only one that looks interesting to me is jazz. I think movie Star scream looks too short and dwarvish in robot mode and the guns are too oversized. Why do today's robots have to have massive weapons that would be so heavy that it would probably put them off balance to try to hold properly?

In my opinion (of the ones we've seen)

Initial waves

Jazz (Deluxe)

Bonecrusher (Deluxe)

Ironhide (Voyager)

Blackout (Voyager)

Optimus Prime (Leader)

Later waves

Optimus Prime (Voyager)

Robovision Optimus Prime (Voyager toy with lots of silver paint)

Megatron (Leader)

2008 Bumblebee (Deluxe)

There are also the Real Gear toys that are transforming electronic devices (non-functional). They're the most traditionally styled TFs in the movie line, but aren't in the actual movie. There will be a Leader class Brawl later on (apparently), but we've not seen him yet.

(Jetfire should "die" just like he was supposed to in the original tv series where he gets buried and the autobots don't even bother to dig him up to see if he is still alive :D)

The Autobots drove all the way to Antartica to dig him up so he could fly them to South America. Think about the logic of that. :D

The only toys I plan on purchasing are:

Blackout

Bonecrusher

Barricade

Ironhide

Ratchet

Starscream (??? only if there is a leader version. the voyager just doesn't cut it)

Brawl (if this leader class turns out to be true and he is actually in the freaking movie)

Trying to keep it under $150 total.

Edited by meh_cd

My buy list.

Leader Class Prime

Bumble Bee Deluxe(both 74 and 08)

Barricade

Voyager Ironhide

Leader Class Megatron..Maybe..he looks kinda stuff

Thats so far what I like.

Alien machines trying to blend into modern America as closely as possible. If SS is trying to disguise himself as a normal F-22, having bright blue exhaust really gives it away that he's different. Same for Prime---if he pulls into a truck stop sounding like that, every trucker's going to go "WTF was that?"

Not to mention how often Prime and Ironhide are going to get pulled over for those blue running lights.

I got the Voyager Ironhide through TRU.com along with the Real Gear camera and phone. The RG stuff seems to be a bit bigger than the past basics or maybe it is just the big card. The phone is the same size as flip phones from a couple of years ago and bigger than the tiny slivers that pass for phones today. The camera is a bit smaller than my Canon SD500.

The vehicle mode is rather bland since it is almost entirely black. Even the tiny-tiny exhausts are black. Rubber tires would help a lot since solid hunks of black plastic don't make very good looking wheels. The finish isn't consistent since some parts are bare glossy black plastic and other parts are translucent plastic painted matte black.

The transformation is quite complex. Almost as complex as some Alternators. The automorph on this figure is in the lower legs. Fold the feet plates down and the rest of the leg transforms. Kind of neat. I don't think I figured out exactly where everything goes.

The robot mode is what attracted me to this toy and it does look nice. However, it is a bit of a kibbly mess. The split & angled hood is both neat and a nuisance since it tends to get in the way. The angle is maintained with springs. I guess this is supposed to be automorph but it ends up getting in the way since it makes it impossible to adjust the angle. The head is nice and big so it doesn't get lost between the shoulders but it is so overly detailed that it ends up looking like a jumbled mess. Kind of like how many of the Beast War heads were. The joints are a mix of really tight and really loose. The thigh cut joint is so loose that the legs tend to buckle. I need to work some nail polish into there. I don't see any ball joints. I don't mind since the joint types used here look better on a sturdy bot.

The only weapons are the arm canons. These look really nice. The missile firing mechanism is of the friction-push type. There is a separate trigger for each missile. The mechanism only works when both pieces are combined to form the long canon.

My overall impression is a bit mixed right now. I don't like it as much as I'd hoped but I certainly don't regret spending the money. I think that I will like it more as I discover the little tweaks to the transformation. I'll probably pass on some of the line that I've been on the fence about such as Jazz and Barricade. I like the look of the Voyager Prime, however. it would be too small to go with Ironhide. The 2008 deluxe Bumblebee looks really nice.

Edited by Matt Random

Well I'm a tad pissed off, I went to 10 stores, most of them Targets and Walmarts, just a note sorry to anyone who works at walmart, but it's full of retarded people who probably never graduated highschool and those who can't speak english.

Anyways, every store said "no if we get them we'll release them on June 2nd" or "No we're not gonna check outback to see if we have any. Come back on the release date"

So, I'm buying them online thru hasbro. I'm not looking anymore.

Lucky for me I'm only really interested in nabbing Alt Rumble and Ravage, and trying to decide on MP Starscream, or wait and see if they release a version with the Skywarp improvements (and nab Skywarp, too). Oh, and the KISS version of Rodimus.

Shouldn't hurt the wallet too badly.

Edited by Radd

Well I'm a tad pissed off, I went to 10 stores, most of them Targets and Walmarts, just a note sorry to anyone who works at walmart, but it's full of retarded people who probably never graduated highschool and those who can't speak english.

Anyways, every store said "no if we get them we'll release them on June 2nd" or "No we're not gonna check outback to see if we have any. Come back on the release date"

So, I'm buying them online thru hasbro. I'm not looking anymore.

If you've got a Fred Meyer's in your area apparently Leader Optimus has already been released there in the NW states.

yep, went to 3 different freddies, Tualatin, Terwilliger and Johnsoncreek in portland, every last one of the stores I went too their employees didn't care about the print out I sent them. to a few who argued with me saying "We got a letter saying we don't have to obey that" I showed them the site posting itself, still nothing.

I might call a few more places on monday in the downtown or beaverton area and see if I can get lucky....but I have my doubts since every store said "come back June 2nd".

Something I did notice, the Target in North Wilsonville had a clearance on all of the Cybertron figures, just about all of them except some Red Alert Voyager class figures are gone....so I think that's a diffenet sign they'll be putting something up very soon.

The Targets have cleared their Transformer sections out here too. They have a bunch of the Protoform ones, but I'll be checking to see if they have anything new today. I want the Lazerbeak looking Real Gear one. That's pretty cool looking.

EDIT: Went to a Target today and found Jazz and BB. Jazz looked the most interesting but I gotta say he sucks as a toy. Wasn't worth the $10 and BB didn't look much better. Looks like my son just got another one to add to his collection.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

My general hope is that if the movie does well we'll see some figures that equal the quality of the binaltech/alternator line.

That would be really nice. The Alternators where great figures for the price, especially considering the licensing cost. Realistic vehicle mode w/ complete interior, clear windows, rubber tires, working doors, complex transformation and good articulation all for $20.

Anyone get Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus or know where to get it for cheap?

I've been looking all over for him as well with no luck.

He's been listed on eBay several times at sky-high prices ... WTF?!?!?