Battlestar Galactica Discussion

A hundred and fifty dollars? I could buy a transforming Valkyrie for that much! Poorly detailed doesn't even begin to cover it. The colors are all wrong and the battle damage is what you'd get from cigarette burns. For crying out loud, the launching pods do even retract. It describes the model as featuring two extra pods, meaning you have to swap parts. Swap parts! On a $150 dollar model? Are they trying to get laughed at? What a piece of junk!

This is very disappointing. I figured a show like this would at least have one decent die cast toy of the flagship vessel. This sucks.

Edited by Mr March

Three inches? Are they kidding? Is that the only size Galactica (2004) that's been made? That is way, WAY too small. Gawd, why did they even bother at that lousy scale?

Basically, I'm looking for a decent toy model of the new Galactica and also I'd like a new Basestar. Do these exist in anything larger than three-fracking-inches (pun intended)?

There's a $30 large scale Titanium Galactica, but good luck finding it. Saw it once in the local WalMart, had no money, never saw it again :(

There always this Titanium BSG toy, that's much larger than it's 3" cousin.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

It's a 1/24 Scale Ultra Titanium Die Cast model- I think it's about 7"-8" long.

Has SLIDE-OUT LAUNCH BAY ARMS and INCLUDES DISPLAY STAND.

This large version is a bit harder to find these days, retailed for $19.99 and selling for around $60-$75 these days I think. I haven't seen a new 2000 version Basestar model made, but I did sell my Revel or Monogram base star 70s kit a few months back for about $30 since the old versions are plentiful. I wish the 3" line continues so they can make the 70s and 2k version of the Base stars.

The new 3" Titanium BSG figures I've seen at Frank & Sons has the two MK version vipers in black and blue/white colors. Haven't seen those colors at retail stores pop-up yet. The Pegasus figure was rare at the beginning of the year, but within the past 3 months have been popping up commonly and can be found at Target stores, just saw one the other day.

Mr. March, if you're looking for a hard copy piece of BSG info., it has it's own magazine: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Battlest...ficial_Magazine

I guess it lasted only 7 issues.

Edited by baronv

Well, that's quite a bit better. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of that larger version of the Galactica, but I think I'd like to look it over first before purchasing it. And there's no way I'm paying $60-$70 for it. I'll have to keep my eyes open and perhaps do some shopping this week.

Thanks baronv, but I think what I'm looking for in a BSG book doesn't exist. I was hoping for an encyclopedia of sorts along with lots of tech and ship stuff. Looks like I'm outta luck :)

Well, that's quite a bit better. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of that larger version of the Galactica, but I think I'd like to look it over first before purchasing it. And there's no way I'm paying $60-$70 for it. I'll have to keep my eyes open and perhaps do some shopping this week.

Thanks baronv, but I think what I'm looking for in a BSG book doesn't exist. I was hoping for an encyclopedia of sorts along with lots of tech and ship stuff. Looks like I'm outta luck :)

Yeah I would love something like that too....but alas it does not exist yet.

As for models here is a list of the models that are out there. I have many of them but not all of them:

Frank Cerney made/makes 2 1/20 scale MK II Vipers. The 1st edition is the Starbuck edition ( I have this one) The second was the Apollo edition which is an improved version of the first kit with better detailing. He is also in the process of making a MK VII Viper that is in scale with these MK II's. Info and and a mailing list on these can be found here:

http://snakeshipinc.blogspot.com/

Our own Cobywan made a BEAUTIFUL little Galactica model which is now available from Federation models through Alliance models. A baseship roughly in scale with it is also available through Federation models. Can't remember the maker but when looking at the Alliance Galactica it gives a link to the baseship too. Howling wolf models also makes a georgeous 1/24 Cylon Raider and a 1/2500 scale Baseship. He also made a 1/24 Blackbird but I don't think it's availabel anymore. Sci-Hi models makes a MK II Viper in 1/72 and the MK VII should also be available soon. The MK II is an outstanding little kit, I have 2 and highly recomend them. All of these can be found at http://www.federationmodels.com/

Starship modeler http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cfm?f...;category_id=56 also has a variety of BSG models. There are 2 cylon raiders, 1/72 and 1/48. a 1/48 scale Raptor, and the will also be releasing a 1/48 viper MK II and a 1/48 Viper MK VII. There is also a 1/350 scale Colonial 1. Finally, they also have 1/72 scale MK II and MK VII vipers by Blacksun Models. The MK II is a little cheaper than the previously mentioned Sci-hi version, but I don't think it looks as good as the Sci-hi version..too fat IMO.

Fantastic Plastic has 2 Battlestar Pegasus's. The First http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/BattlestarPegasusPage.htm is supposed to be in scale with the Alliance Galactica, I think it is a little too big to be in scale though, and is a desent kit, but, a little too stumpy for my taste. It can however be built into a pretty nice model with some modifications, here is a picture of mine which has been modified http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd...sus/TOYS430.jpg The second Pegasus is going to be 20 inches long and it looks much more accurate IMO!! This kit is due to arrive in Oct/Nov. there is a waiting list for this kit so if you are interested read this thread: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=53227 Pictures of it can be found here. http://www.alfredsmind.ca/commissions/samples84.html along with pictures of the 2 1/48 scale Vipers from Starshipmodeler http://www.alfredsmind.ca/. Bambam productions is also making a Battlestar Valkyrie (which is seen briefly in S3) in scale with the small G and Peg. Info and waiting list are here: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=55197. Jesse Myers (I think that's his last name?) also made a beautiful 1/24 scale Raptor but it has limited availability. Try PMing him here if interested.

Lastly Cobywan is making a unbelievable 1/2600 scale Galactica. It's probably still a ways off but check it out here: http://nugalactica.blogspot.com/ and the discussion of it here:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewto...&highlight=

Hope I didn't forget any, I may have left out a few kits but they are from not so reputable dealers or just aren't that great. Hope this helps.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

No problem, I know what you mean too....last night I typed all that stuff in and then on the last line when I went to get the LAST, link I accidentally changed pages and lost everything that I typed!!!! I just didn't have the energy to do it all again last night. :) At least I could do it this morning though. Oh, and I"ll wait patiently for your Galactica. Don't care if it takes years, just keep doing what you are doing with it!!! She's a beaut!

Chris

Here is info on how to obtain Jesse's Raptor, taken from a Starshipmodeler thread:

My 1/24th scale Raptor model will again be available!

As a little update, a limited quantity of raptors were made available back about a year ago, but due to time constraints I was only able to make a small quantity available. The good news is that recently a good friend offered to help me make this kit available again. As a result he will be doing a limited run of kits. He is a very experienced kit maker and I am supremely confident that the kits will be expertly cast with high quality materials. Additionally the kit will be identical to my original in all other ways including clear parts for interior lighting, excellent figures (2), high quality decals, and reference instructions. If SSM still wants it we still plan on having them available through the SSM store. If you are still interested in receiving a kit please email salzo1@aol.com.

Again, thank you for your patience, and time.

Thanks!

Jesse

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The BSG Viper figures from Joyride Studios were pretty nice, I have the Silver Spar Squadron version if you don't mind it following the original series look a bit more. The scale is pretty good, don't know the actual scale size but the pilot figure size is inbetween the 1/60 and 1/48 Macross pilot sizes.

Colonial-Viper-01.jpg

It's approximately 7" long and feature: Opening cockpit, Removable landing gear, Flight display stand, Removable pilot figure.

If you can get the 8" Titanium BSG for a good price, get it. I liked it for the retail price ($19.99) versus paying $199 for the detailed model. I did see the Art Asylum battle-damaged statue at Comic Con and it did look good. Wish though they made a cheaper ready-made plastic version of it for $39.95.

Well, I'm done Season 2 and I'm well into Season 3. Wow, I sure wasn't expecting that huge one year jump. It's funny, but I've watched so much bad sci-fi over the years, I was half expecting it all to turn out as a dream sequence or time travel :):lol: No, I wasn't really, but I did have that in the back of my mind.

It sure was funny seeing Bamber in a fat suit, but damnit, he lost the Pegasus :( I really hated Thrace with long hair, so looked way too trashy. I'm glad she's back to the sexy tomboy look. And I'm sure glad they didn't kill Gaeta. Yikes, what they did with those traitors really didn't sit well with me at all, but then again I sure wouldn't stick up for them, not after what they did.

I keep expecting season 3 to get worse like you all tell me it does, but it's fantastic so far. Or maybe I'm just to high on this show to notice :)

I didn't think season 3 was bad at all. It did push the characters into some pretty messy situation and while I can understand some of the controvery, most of those relationships and bad decisions had their foundations laid in previous seasons.

Well Mr March, i'm beaming from ear to ear at the knowledge that you are still loving it and have caught up with the rest of us.. you've obviously been hammering the BSG! Now you know what we were referring to the 'bellyflop' of Exodus part 2 and the sad ending.. its like losing a freind. :(

Incredible stuff! S3 does slow to a crawl in the middle but it picks up again in the last 4-5 episodes.. i remember going like "where are the cylons? they gonna hit them any moment now.. " Have faith 'Brother March' all will be well again soon. :D

Edited by vermillion01

Yeah, I really liked S3 too. some people are just very hard to please but like Eugi said most of what people complained about where things that were laid out...hell all the way back in the miniseries so I didn't get what all the hoopla was about. Great show, now you;ll have to wait like the rest of us to see how things are resolved. You got some BIG suprises comming by the end of S3. :D

Chris

Oh gawds (punny!). When I get to the end of Season 3, it's gonna kill me! My only solace will be in knowing that I only have to go through one season to finish out the story.

I just finished the episode "Hero" about Adama's mission aboard the Valkyrie. It was probably about the weakest episode in the series so far, so I suppose some of the complaints about season three may have a bit of weight. But I loved the first seven episodes of this season and if the last 4-5 episodes are as good as everyone here tells me, I'd call this season another big win.

However, even in this episode there was some cool stuff going on with Number 3. She's having these weird visions all the time, which really has me guessing. I must admit, I did get a fanboy thrill when Number 3 wakes from her nightmare and she's in bed with Number 6. I guess it wouldn't be so bad being Baltar at times. I could put up with a lot of self-loathing if I had a threesome with Tricia Helfer and Lucy Lawless. A whole hell of a lot of self loathing, I assure you :):lol:

Edited by Mr March

What do Starbuck, Tyrol and Baltar's lawyer have in common? They were all in the series premiere of NBC's Bionic Woman-lol...

Hey Mr March, if you want to get three of the best Titanium figs Hasbro made for BSG, they are here in one nifty boxset (ComicCon exclusive decos, to boot!):

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...97&ID=20488

And this becomes a sweet deal when you add in the following: "Until October 8th, you can get 25% off your bill AND free shipping! Enter the code 25FALL in the promo code box and enjoy the savings!"

:)

Omg, they used the name "Skin Job" in BSG! That is so funny. That has to be a Blade Runner reference. Edward James Olmos saying skin job in a science fiction show; there's no way that isn't a blatant Blade Runner homage :)

Hey Mr March, if you want to get three of the best Titanium figs Hasbro made for BSG, they are here in one nifty boxset (ComicCon exclusive decos, to boot!):

Those look like the tiny 3 inch versions. Those are too small, IMO. But thanks anyway.

Omg, they used the name "Skin Job" in BSG! That is so funny. That has to be a Blade Runner reference. Edward James Olmos saying skin job in a science fiction show; there's no way that isn't a blatant Blade Runner homage :)

Those look like the tiny 3 inch versions. Those are too small, IMO. But thanks anyway.

C'mon, they're toys, not penises...

:lol:

They're small, but still cool. I never wanted any until I actually saw one my friend had in person, and by that point they were getting hard to find. I jumped on this deal right away.

C'mon, they're toys, not penises...

:lol:

They're small, but still cool. I never wanted any until I actually saw one my friend had in person, and by that point they were getting hard to find. I jumped on this deal right away.

I've actually been waiting for someone to post sexual innuendo about the posts on size, but no one did. Maybe I've just been spending too much time on AP, where no post lasts more than ten minutes without being sexualized :)

I'd like to see these ships before even considering purchasing them. I don't understand the fascination with these pocket-sized ships. After all, I'm not interested in conveniently carrying them anywhere; they are home/office display pieces.

Well, for one, they are incredibly detailed for such small pieces... and mostly diecast with nifty little display stands. Honestly, I passed on the larger scale Galactica one night after collecting these little ones for so long (I'm partially regretting it now, if only for the price that sucker goes on eBay), since the smaller scale allows for a much more expansive collection. I loves me some mini Cylon Raiders.

Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you? :p

-D

I'd like to see these ships before even considering purchasing them. I don't understand the fascination with these pocket-sized ships. After all, I'm not interested in conveniently carrying them anywhere; they are home/office display pieces.

I'm not fond of the small size either, however I was so desperate to have any BSG nick-nacks that I joined the rat race to find these things. I'd buy them now if you're even considering them, as they're starting to become scarce again, although it's not surprising to see 3 Pegasus' hanging off of a shelf from time to time...

If you have Dollar General stores in your area, they have been getting shipments of the long discontinued Ultra Titanium cases, including the Galactica. And they are only $8 !!!! So get the hell down there because not all of them get the same cases. Out of 5 stores near me, 1 had a Galactica and the rest had different assortments.

I'll check it out. Is the Ultra Titanium the large 7-8" version fo the Galactica?

Yes, the big one. I had noticed a sudden infusion of these on ebay and wondered where they were coming from. Then I happened upon one and figured it out.

These were incredibly hard to find when they first came out and then the line was discontinued due to slow sales. Then they start popping up at discount chains, which means there had to be huge stock in a warehouse somewhere. If the morons had shipped more in the first place they may not have had to cancel.

I'm not fond of the small size either, however I was so desperate to have any BSG nick-nacks that I joined the rat race to find these things. I'd buy them now if you're even considering them, as they're starting to become scarce again, although it's not surprising to see 3 Pegasus' hanging off of a shelf from time to time...

Yeah if your in the U.K and want BSG stuff your only option is expensive collectors shops or eBay so scarce is an understatement.

Is the upcoming Battlestar Galactica film/event suppose to about the Pegasus pre-showing up in the series or what takes place on the ship while many of the Galactica crew were on New Caprica when it's under the command of Apollo? I can't remember.

Yes, the big one. I had noticed a sudden infusion of these on ebay and wondered where they were coming from.

Looks like that sudden infusion could still cost us though, as the prices range from $40-$80?! The Galactica's cool and all but at those prices, forget it. I like the Pegasus better anyway...