Battlestar Galactica Discussion

BSG = Excellent Television? I totally agree. But when do we get to see more VIPER action? Oh, and does anyone know when season 3 comes out on DVD? :huh:

Well since we are going to have a 9 month Hiatus till Season 4 and the movie doesn't sound like it will come out until just before then, my guess is that the DVD's won't come out till around the same time as well, to get interest back up for the show. If I remember correctly it took the Mini series and the other season quite a bit of time to come out on DVD after they aired. :( . Though the R2 versions of the DVD's seem to be released pretty quickly <_<

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Last time I heard, the movie will be out in September. They will be filming it this summer. Then the new season will start next January if I remember correctly.

The problem with the movie being based around the Pegasus is that they destroyed the set.

They could always remake the sets.

I agree the political angle of the show is not too evident. When they do have a political axe to grind. They seem to want to let the viewer decide where he or she wants to side. this is good as the quickest way to get me to switch off is to add too much politics or preachy religion. These in my books are two subjects to be kept at arms length, and never talked about at dinner parties.

I guess its a case of art imitating life.

The article says the entire cast will be back in the movie...doesn't sound like a Pegasus story. :(

Could still be with flash backs to the quiet times pre Cylon War II

Edited by big F

The show doesn't have that kind of budget... They could remake the set, but then they'd have little to no money for CGI and other special effects. They tore the set down because they couldn't keep paying storage fees or some such. I forget exactly what it was.

That's if they factored the movie in with the TV-show budget, then of course they couldn't do it. They could always place the movie under it's own budget (I doubt it).

Sorry if it's been discussed before but what's the movie supposed to be about?

Will it be straight to DVD?

No one is sure what it is going to be about. Current theories include a Pegasus prequel, and the story of Starbuck during her disappearance.

I'll just say that RDM pulled a big one on all of the fans. The name that was removed from the credits is part of that.

It's going straight to TV. Like the miniseries. Then it'll be on DVD I assume.

Might be an Anchorman/Legend Of Ron Burgundy situation. (enough deleted scenes/existing footage to branch off into a new film)

IIRC, the commentary and featurettes regarding the Pegasus arc said Rymer wanted to break RS I & II into three episodes. There was clearly more footage for the Pegasus episode, another 15-18 minutes IIRC that ended up in the extended cut.

There could be another 30-40-60 minutes of Pegasus footage/Forbes/Beckel/etc that no one has seen yet. All the combat could be done on CGI and you wouldn't need the interiors. It's a prewar/pre first strike scenario, they could put a decent chunk of it on the unseen Scorpion shipyards they mentioned. Forbes could come back for pick up shots and voice overs for existing footage and Moore could add in a full B and C story plots to round out a full 2 hours. B plot could be what happened to the people on the ground during the nukes. C plot could flash back to what the Cylons did besides Six's infiltration to get where they were going.

What I'd like to see is the rest of that Colonial Fleet get massacred. And lay some hurt to the Cylons themselves. That kind of bloodbath would definitely draw new interest in the show during the hiatus since it would go straight to DVD on it's own and the casual non BSG viewer might pick it up and give it a shot and might be drawn to the show period.

I like that If it were up to me.....

^^Well last week, they instantly went straight into the story without showing the usual opening credits/montage.

During the episode two weeks ago, Sackhoff's name was out of the credits. But if I remember it correctly, nobody's name was moved from its usual spot during the montage. The spot where Sockhoff's name would usually appear was just left blank.

Probably was cheaper to do it that way than to totally rework the credits.

^^Well last week, they instantly went straight into the story without showing the usual opening credits/montage.

During the episode two weeks ago, Sackhoff's name was out of the credits. But if I remember it correctly, nobody's name was moved from its usual spot during the montage. The spot where Sockhoff's name would usually appear was just left blank.

Probably was cheaper to do it that way than to totally rework the credits.

Also allows then to put her back when Starbuck returns from the dead having given birth to a child that is far to nerdy for its own good, whilst befrending a broken Cylon Centurion which has crash landed near by.

:blink::blink:

Opps wrong decade :unsure:

Sounds like the DVD "movie" is going to be about Pegasus!!!! :D

Here is a sample of an interview with Ron Moore:

We won't be seeing Season 4 until January 2008, but I understand there's going to be some kind of miniseries or movie coming before then?

There is something that they're calling "extra episodes" or "extended episodes" -- they keep shifting the nomenclature. Essentially, we are shooting two hours of "Galactica" that will be broadcast on SciFi Channel sometime in the fall. Let's say they broadcast it on a Friday; then, on the following Monday, it will be available on DVD.

That story will not pick up our cliffhanger at the end of Season 3. That didn't seem right. The story will be set on the Battleship Pegasus and will take place in the past, relative to where we are in Season 3. But the events set up in that story will then pay off in Season 4.

What was the reasoning behind doing that?

They came to us. It gives Home Video something to sell in the stores. Since we won't be back until January, which is a long time to be off the air, it gives the fans something to see and keeps the show alive. So it serves multiple masters. There was no way we could pick up the cliffhanger in that format, and then ask people to wait to really start the season later. One of the story lines everyone had really liked was the Pegasus story and the character of Admiral Cain, so we decided to go with that.

The whole interview can be read here. It's pretty cool and spoiler free.

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2007/03/2...star/index.html

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Sounds like the DVD "movie" is going to be about Pegasus!!!! :D

Well justice has been done. Hopefully lots of Viper action and not so much poncing arround with civies.

Update time from AICN:

A wait awaits.

For those who missed the news last week, “Battlestar Galactica†is getting a two-hour TV-movie this autumn and a 20-episode fourth season in 2008.

This one guy keeps writing us to say there’s a minute or so missing from the end of the press screener. That somebody gets outed as a Cylon in the missing footage.

I spoke to someone who’s seen the screener. He said he wasn’t aware of any missing minute.

So I guess we’ll all get to the bottom of this together.

10 p.m. Sunday. SciFi.

So the song was a nod to the last episode of the original BSG. Interesting rendition of the song though. Now barring death and dismemberment of important characters or possibly the Rapture, the new series will finally go farther than the original! (and if one of those did happen, well God really would have it out for this series wouldn't he? :unsure:)

I could be totally wrong here, but I get a feeling the "final five" are a totally different Cylon generation than the Cylons we have seen in BSG. As its been said, what is happening now has all happened before. Seems like some sort of vicious circle.

Plus, this whole final five in white robes and Starbuck smack of the Ship of Lights. Not that we're seeing the same thing, but it seems like there is a bit of a "nod" there from Moore. I need to listen to that Podcast.

Just watched the season finale. :blink::o

Dammit, I gotta wait until NEXT YEAR to find out how all of this is resolved?!!

I think my DVR cut off shortly after the "Stay Tuned" part at the end; I'll have to check out what I missed (if anything) on the re-air later tonight.

I'm not sure I buy the whole idea of a "certain someone" being called to the witness stand. Mind you, I have nothing against what was said in the speech (since what was said makes a lot of sense). But it was just the method in which they got to that point (plot-wise) that I'm having a hard time believing.

One other thing, is it bad that I laughed at Baltar's "butterfingers" line? :lol:

This was a great episode but damn, 2008 is a long time to wait. At least it will give me time to catch up on this season as I missed a number of episodes toward the end and really just caught the season finales.

2008???!!! Gahh!!!!!! :angry: That's 8 monthes and 8 days!!! WTF!!!

That's old news. It sucks, yes, but they said initially they would put out 13 episodes starting in January for Season 4. Now they're saying 22. At least Heroes is good. :)

Wow. Simply awesome. Good way to end the season. It started detriorating for me in the middle of the season but the last few episodes have done a good job of keeping me faithful. Looking forward to the movie in the meantime.

This was a pretty good episode... at least once the Lee Matlock stuff was done. Baltar's cultists are all fairly attractive females? Hopefully they're actually hermaphrodites or syphillis carriers or something and he finally gets his due. :lol:

The spoilers spoiled the "return" of Starbuck, but I think I would have been expecting it anyway. January 2008? WTF?? Hopefully I can have everything on HD DVD by then...