i wish they used the suits from the 8th episode "Scoop Chase" (which for some reason is one of my faves, pretty funny and nene is cute in it =P), i like nene's colors in that one better, and makie's yellow armor suit was really cool, they should make a figure of that too.

im trying to find bubblegum crash but pretty hard to find >.>

I'm an old fan of the original BGC series. I still have the AnimEigo VHS tapes for episodes 1-8, the two music video, the three Crash OAVs, and the three AD Police OAVs.

I've watched the series more than enough and I've been dying to see someone make these toys though I wish they were bigger and more detailed. BGC is so overlooked when it comes to the toy potential. I don't know what's become of Artmic or Youmex, but I remember they held equal rights to the series.

Seeing the few episodes of the 'new' BGC 2040 made me want to vomit. It's suppose to be BGC, not a perverted clone of Evangelion.

Scoop Chase was a great closing episode to the series, I think my favorite is episode 7 followed by 5 and 6.

I never saw BG - Crash .... any good?

It's a bit disappointing and not very good, IMO. Everyone is out of character completely, for the sake of being modern. Story, designs, animation, and even the music is well below what the originals brought to the table. I'd say watch Crash last, even after the music videos and AD Police.

1/1 LowViz Lurker, gee you seem to have a profound knowledge of things. I am impressed with your logical thinking on this and explaining Macross Plus breaking the mold, going against the grain. Do you have a book? Or suggestions? :lol:

nah just an old school fan of these specific shows like you. I just have a soft spot for mecha shows from when I was young. I don't know if that means I am biased just that sometimes I think the originals seem to have something from them that the sequels seem to be missing. If people who say SDF:M is the only true macross because they as fans have their preferences for the older show, then I want to say the old-school BGC is the only true BGC for me because of the style of the suits or the way the boomers are introduced. :D Maybe it really isn't that much better but as it came first, it just stands out for having aged well while the sequel retreads the old thing but doesn't necessarily improve upon it, so we hold the sequel to a higher standard? (as time goes on we expect things to get better not the same or worse right? So we are much harsher on the newer show if it doesn't advance on the ideas or present them better than the original?)

For example in the new BGC, the upgraded suit priss uses in that had been changed a little bit and been given some kind of spikes or fins which ruins the classic design. This is almost as bad as the valks with faces from macross 7, you know? Different people find different things cool. I think it spoiled what I liked about the old design.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Thanks for the info on BG Crash VF-2SS-BloodPhoenix .... I love the original series, the re-imaging was ... ok.

I also owned the AnimEigo VHS tapes for episodes 1-8, they are in a box somewhere ...

And my favorite is episode 7 too!!!

:)

Sorry for been so late to post the scans of the various motoslaves linearts. Here they are:

Motoslave I

bbc01dc2.th.jpg

New motoslave:

bbc02st4.th.jpg

Typhoon II:

bbc03sa6.th.jpg

bbc04ha7.th.jpg

My favourite BBC tunes: Hurricane & heartbreaker

Edited by CAIN MKII

Has Yamato ever released any toy/model with lots of painted details? I get the impression that most of the time it's just molded plastic... only a couple of Limited Editions get the love, like some 1/48 VFs, or the 'metallic red' Garland+DVD box-set. We'll probably get what we see in those not-yet-retouched promo pix.

Thanks for the lineart Cain.

I love the bubblegum crisis mecha. Any other lineart like k12 and 'Tentacle Rape' mech I can save to HDD? Thanks! :)

You should make a website with lineart and specs like what Mr March has done with Macross . just kidding.

Yeah it's weird that the MotoSlave itself isn't shiny and stuff but I consider it a military-use armor first and a bike second so I don't mind that its not clean and shiny. Before you say "damage control!" there are some mecha that just look better without being all shiny. (because they want to be rugged and tough like tanks) For those people who like their mecha flat it's a win, I suppose.

I just hope the figures are not fragile and break easily. Did yamato do any of the powered suits from appleseed before? If so how were they?

Gotta say that "Hurricane" is my fav BGC song .... a cyberpunk classic IMHO.

When they get to "lovin' you" in the lyrics they say "rovin' you!" which is my fave part of the song! :D

I'm an old fan of the original BGC series. I still have the AnimEigo VHS tapes for episodes 1-8, the two music video, the three Crash OAVs, and the three AD Police OAVs.

I've watched the series more than enough and I've been dying to see someone make these toys though I wish they were bigger and more detailed. BGC is so overlooked when it comes to the toy potential. I don't know what's become of Artmic or Youmex, but I remember they held equal rights to the series.

I lent a copy of some of my vhs tapes to a friend and never got them back. :( I agree with you about these being better if they were bigger and more detailed, maybe yamato should put as much attention on BGC mecha as they currently do with macross? Do some larger scale stuff with lots of details and gimmicks, have a seperate action figure (like with VOTOMs) that you could buy, and maybe even have AD Police action figures to scale with the Knight Saber? You could then put the AD Police action figure inside the K12 and have him try to fight the "tentacle rape" mecha and stuff? (sexy vampire biker chic would be the pilot of course)

These may be the *"1/72s of the BGC line of toys"? Who knows? Maybe they will release better stuff in the future from classic BGC but so far everyone is concentrating on macross related toys so it goes unnoticed? (so yamato only put half-assed effort into it compared to macross toys?)

*like how the 1/72 macross plus toys were the inferior early toys before they would eventualy revisit those mecha with better, bigger and more accurate versions later on?

Thanks for the scans, CAIN MKII, but now that I'm comparing the Motoslave 1 lineart to the shots from Yamato, I truly fail to see how "this is ugly, not even close to the original design", as you originally posted..?? :unsure: It looks pretty darn close to me, albeit some proportions are slightly different to allow for poseability. Heck, even the lineart isn't all that consistent. The chest area and head (especially) seem to change size depending on the drawing. My only problem with this toy so far is the lack of finish on the bike (and maybe the size)...not the sculpt.

Naw, I think he means BGC 2043 by "new". Everybody looks different, everything is clean and bright and shiny, and the hard suits are designed differently.

From what I remember, BGC was heavily influenced by Bladerunner, hence that is where Artmic came up with the name Priss from one of the replicants in BR. I thought that was a cool homage. BGC was supposed to be a dark filthy setting just like BR, but Crash didn't really bring that atmosphere anywhere near the originals, and 2040 is like you said, too clean.

Gotta say that "Hurricane" is my fav BGC song .... a cyberpunk classic IMHO.

:)

I like almost all of the music from the original BGC series. Even the slow mello-dramatic tunes. I bought both vocal CDs from AnimEigo back in the day along with the Scoop Chase CD. The instrumentals were also cool, IMO. The opening/song of episode one was synched perfectly, unfortunately the animation didn't get better 'til episode 5, but the atmosphere was right on from the start.

I love the bubblegum crisis mecha. Any other lineart like k12 and 'Tentacle Rape' mech I can save to HDD? Thanks! :)

You should make a website with lineart and specs like what Mr March has done with Macross . just kidding.

Yeah it's weird that the MotoSlave itself isn't shiny and stuff but I consider it a military-use armor first and a bike second so I don't mind that its not clean and shiny. Before you say "damage control!" there are some mecha that just look better without being all shiny. (because they want to be rugged and tough like tanks) For those people who like their mecha flat it's a win, I suppose.

I just hope the figures are not fragile and break easily. Did yamato do any of the powered suits from appleseed before? If so how were they?

When they get to "lovin' you" in the lyrics they say "rovin' you!" which is my fave part of the song! :D

I lent a copy of some of my vhs tapes to a friend and never got them back. :( I agree with you about these being better if they were bigger and more detailed, maybe yamato should put as much attention on BGC mecha as they currently do with macross? Do some larger scale stuff with lots of details and gimmicks, have a seperate action figure (like with VOTOMs) that you could buy, and maybe even have AD Police action figures to scale with the Knight Saber? You could then put the AD Police action figure inside the K12 and have him try to fight the "tentacle rape" mecha and stuff? (sexy vampire biker chic would be the pilot of course)

These may be the *"1/72s of the BGC line of toys"? Who knows? Maybe they will release better stuff in the future from classic BGC but so far everyone is concentrating on macross related toys so it goes unnoticed? (so yamato only put half-assed effort into it compared to macross toys?)

*like how the 1/72 macross plus toys were the inferior early toys before they would eventualy revisit those mecha with better, bigger and more accurate versions later on?

What are these tentacle things you're referring to in BGC? :p

My mind was never in the gutter when I watched this series, honestly.

I like the opening song to Moonlight Rambler. It was a great song adding to the intensity that just occured.

I only wish you're right in that Yamato will re-visit these designs with larger and more detailed sculpts. In this day and age, I expect toys to have some cool lighting components, moving electronic parts (minimal if possible), and genius engineering, especially coming from those who have spent years perfecting their art of designing these types of products which I have a difficult time calling them toys because they're way above being a toy you'd see in any U.S. toy store.

I didn't buy the Atelier-Sai BGC figures as they were too expensive, but these Yamato figures come with a motoslave and the price is less than the AS versions, so I think the Yamato ones are at least worth their ticket price until they make better versions. How about 1/6 scale versions? That is my ideal scale for these figures. :D

You're welcome dude but hey! What is the 'tentacle rape' mech? :blink:

I haven't watched the anime recently so I don't remember somethinglike that!? :wacko:

Thanks for the scans, CAIN MKII, but now that I'm comparing the Motoslave 1 lineart to the shots from Yamato, I truly fail to see how "this is ugly, not even close to the original design", as you originally posted..?? :unsure: It looks pretty darn close to me, albeit some proportions are slightly different to allow for poseability. Heck, even the lineart isn't all that consistent. The chest area and head (especially) seem to change size depending on the drawing. My only problem with this toy so far is the lack of finish on the bike (and maybe the size)...not the sculpt.

motoslaveac8.jpg

001b.jpg

001b.jpg

Shoulder's articulation is wrong, the body frontside(thorax and pelvis) are oversized, the legs, splitted are too thin... <_<

Well it's a transforming toy so they had to modify the design to make it work.

Not an easy task with a fictional design!

It's simply not for me, I will wait for a non transforming motoslave figure or a resin kit for accuracy. :mellow:

Anyway the hardsuit is very tempting. B))

Edited by CAIN MKII

It's got some good poseability though.

The tentacle mech:

It's the mech that the escaped sex boomer girl used which had an AI that took control of the mech when it thought the pilot was dead. (by wrapping some wires around the pilots arms and forcing them to push the controls - this scene looks like a rape scene because the girl is still alive and is strapped to the chair by the wires/tentacles just like what happened to myung in macross plus)

The girl was like priss and rode a bike, but then priss has to kill her to disable this rogue mecha that for some reason has a bomb inside it that could destroy the city. In that episode the cop that is always chasing priss gets beaten in his police mech trying to fight it, and then later priss shows up in her motoslave (which gets destroyed by this rogue mech) and then defeats it in her hardsuit by killing the pilot. (which shuts it down)

Can't remember the episode but those are the details.

The girl looks like she is getting raped by a robot, because it straps her down and stuff against her will. :p

Edit: someone mentioned it is called the DD Fighting Pod.

should jog some memories:

bubblegum-crisis06.jpg

From what I remember, BGC was heavily influenced by Bladerunner, hence that is where Artmic came up with the name Priss from one of the replicants in BR. I thought that was a cool homage. BGC was supposed to be a dark filthy setting just like BR, but Crash didn't really bring that atmosphere anywhere near the originals, and 2040 is like you said, too clean.

There's a lot more Blade Runner references than that. Opening tune in the first episode is very similar to the intro of BR, lots of parallels between Genom and Tyrell, the whole backstory of Mason/Largo features four boomers escaping a colony and coming to earth (see the AD Police manga), not to mention a similar story line with the boomers in episode 5 trying to gain their independence.

Then there's also the ALIENS and Road Warrior references...

I didn't buy the Atelier-Sai BGC figures as they were too expensive, but these Yamato figures come with a motoslave and the price is less than the AS versions, so I think the Yamato ones are at least worth their ticket price until they make better versions. How about 1/6 scale versions? That is my ideal scale for these figures. :D

The Atelier Sai figures were about $50 when released, making them cheaper than these new Yamato ones.

The tentacle mech:

It's the mech that the escaped sex boomer girl used which had an AI that took control of the mech when it thought the pilot was dead. (by wrapping some wires around the pilots arms and forcing them to push the controls - this scene looks like a rape scene because the girl is still alive and is strapped to the chair by the wires/tentacles just like what happened to myung in macross plus)

The girl was like priss and rode a bike, but then priss has to kill her to disable this rogue mecha that for some reason has a bomb inside it that could destroy the city. In that episode the cop that is always chasing priss gets beaten in his police mech trying to fight it, and then later priss shows up in her motoslave (which gets destroyed by this rogue mech) and then defeats it in her hardsuit by killing the pilot. (which shuts it down)

Can't remember the episode but those are the details.

The girl looks like she is getting raped by a robot, because it straps her down and stuff against her will. :p

Edit: someone mentioned it is called the DD Fighting Pod.

should jog some memories:

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/bubblegum-crisis06.jpg

The (boomer/sexroid) girl's name was Sylvie. I'm not sure why the DD would strap the pilot down like that. Maybe to keep the pilot from escaping? I do know that the DD goes into auto pilot when the operator's heart beat goes below a certain point and uses the fighting skills it (DD) learns from the pilot to continue operating until it goes "boom." :lol:

There's a lot more Blade Runner references than that. Opening tune in the first episode is very similar to the intro of BR, lots of parallels between Genom and Tyrell, the whole backstory of Mason/Largo features four boomers escaping a colony and coming to earth (see the AD Police manga), not to mention a similar story line with the boomers in episode 5 trying to gain their independence.

Then there's also the ALIENS and Road Warrior references...

Yeah, I'm well aware of all those references. I didn't want to mention every single one of them, but that's interesting to know at least. I think it was six boomer/sexroids trying to escape, four died, one was injured. Those Dobermans were mean looking SOBs though. :)

The Atelier Sai figures were about $50 when released, making them cheaper than these new Yamato ones.

That was in the past. Today, they're both priced about equally (AS=$65, YMT=$68). So the question is, which one would you choose?

I'm very disappointed with the finishing of the bike, while i really like the figure itself.

BTW, were the figures of the 4 girls released in the past? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

The flat finish is probably to keep costs down.

The four figures released back then were the Atelier-Sai figures. Here's Sylia Stingray on HLJ.