• 3 weeks later...

I have the CM Brocken and really like it. There are 3? layers to the box, you have extra hands, the extra armour kit and a choice of guns.

Is worth the money as you get loads of extras. I just hope the more expensive 'Economy Ingrams' have loads of extras too.

The moulding is quite good, no visable screws and its pretty posable. The only downside is the shoulders and knee polycaps could be a little tighter as 1 of the legs tends to fall off when I lift it up and 1 shoulder tends to pop out if I play with it too much.

I remember the reviews of the peacemaker where awfull, that is why I am s worried about the broken labor. So is the paint job nicely done? What about plastic, is it all PVC or there is some ABS?

Can you post some pics??

Thanks for the comments!

I received my blue TV Brocken today. Right out of the box, the right leg fell off at the knee and the left hip joint was disconnected inside the cloth shroud. If this isn't warning enough for the casual Patlabor fan, let me be clear: THE JOINTS WILL ABSOLUTELY BECOME DISCONNECTED INSIDE THE CLOTH COVERS DURING PLAY.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way... I LIKE this figure! The size is nice and so is the sculpt. I wasn't really keen on the extra military parts, but dammit, it looks really MEAN in that GSG-9 anti-riot gear! And the weapons are nicely detailed (essentially 'scaled-up' H&K MP-5, MG-42 etc). Only useless bit: The power hose that was meant for the 'MG-42' is too short. I will probably scrounge up a suitable length of rubber hose if I want to display Brocken with the BFG.

BUT THE CRAP JOINTS?!

Sigh. If you own the AV-0, you know the drill. Just swapping out the shoulder armors means lots of pulling and pushing, which guarantees a dislodged shoulder. Heck, I managed to dislodge the torso joint! I had to cut through the secured end of the waist cover (hidden under the upper body) so that I could peek into the innards and re-attach the joint.

Little surprises:

- The detailing on the unmasked camera sensors is neat, and the spherical assembly can be swiveled.

- The orange 'vehicle lights' on the front are clear plastic (but painted on the back).

- Military shoulders are imprinted with a 'BROCKEN' tab and Abwher eagle badge.

- The various 'handle bars' on the mil shoulders and backpack look great and seem pretty sturdy.

Overall, it all comes down to the joints:

- 4/10 if you cannot/will not deal with easily dislodged joints that are hidden under cloth covers. It's all by touch.

- 6/10 if you like to pose your toys once in a while but hate to deal with the joints.

- 8/10 if you're handy with modelling skills, and won't hesitate to fix up a great looking display piece.

Personally, it's an 8 for me. I plan to show mine in the mil-spec setup and hope for a sale later to get the OVA version for normal display. Pictures coming in a bit...

01.jpg

Here's the SEE Type-7 Brocken on the side of the law. Physically it dwarfs the old-timer Asuka MPL. Only the advanced AV-0 comes close in height, but not in brawn.

02.jpg

For GSG-9 duties, I reckon the 'scaled-up' MP-5 would be more than enough for most missions. Unless labor troubles in Europe are far more serious!

03.jpg

From the back, you can make out the 'heavy duty' handles and hip-mounted smoke dischargers.

04.jpg

Close up of mil-spec backpack...

05.jpg

Shoulder markings...

06.jpg

'Fritz' helmet...

07.jpg

Exposed camera 'orb'. You can rotate the assembly...

08.jpg

Front view of waist armor. The 'lights' are clear orange plastic...

09.jpg

Back view of waist armor. Check out the trademark '7-dot' marking on the side-armor plate.

10.jpg

When you find yourself in times of trouble, MG-42 calls out to me... Too bad the supplied 'power hose' is too short to connect the gun to the waist port.

11.jpg

Detailing is pretty good for a solid-molded piece. Nothing fancy, you have to attach the fix-folded bi-pod and the side-swivel handle.

12.jpg

Pretty 'Jin-Roh' if you let your imagination run wild :-)

13.jpg

For the curious, the up-sized weapons are NOT 1/6 scale, as can be seen here compared with a Dragon Toys MG-42 below.

14.jpg

And now for Brocken on the wrong side of the law! Here's a classic re-imagined encounter with Ohta's No. 2 Ingram...

15.jpg

Hard to beat the sheer power of mil-spec labors...

16.jpg

Ohta takes a left to the head... gets him MAD!

17.jpg

Deftly applied stunstick whacks the visor (and the operator's smile) away...

18.jpg

Coup de grace... Ohta style.

THE END.

Yo. In any case, you should indeed obtain at least ONE of the CM's Brave Gohkin Ingrams. I'd chosen the 'TV' route over the movie versions because... well, there are just a LOT MORE labors featured in the TV and OVA series. After you've gotten the Ingram, and seen how wel made it is, you'd probably want the Brave Gohkin Griffon next. The harder to find version is the web-exclusive 'Aqua' pack... comes with thrashed No. 2 head in Griffon's fist! :-)

As for the terrible, terrible M.A.S. AV-0 and Brocken... wait for a sale at HLJ to minimize any pains. With your modeling skills, you shouldn't have much problems dealing with the joints.

13.jpg

For the curious, the up-sized weapons are NOT 1/6 scale, as can be seen here compared with a Dragon Toys MG-42 below.

Gun grips look compatible, you might want to give it a try and swap in the 1/6 MG42 instead. With the loose ammo (would that be 76.2mm rounds in scale to the Brocken?) it would probably look (more) intimidating.

(Incidentally, MG42s can't take the 50-round mags -- the capability was deleted from the design, when they upped from MG34.)

My wave version ingram is Awesome no problems!

Ill wait for Waves Broken rather then getting a crappy QC product from CM

I have both the Wave and CM's Ingram and for me, they are on par with each other. While the sculpting accuracy (TV wise) goes to Wave (at at a slightly bigger size too), the CM's feature nicer gimmicks (ooo, flashing lights!) and more accessories (swappable heads). Both offer roughly the same degree of articulation although the WAVE has a bit more freedom on the legs though with some handicaps on the arms and head due to the rubber shrouds (at least on mine). Anyway, glad you enjoyed your WAVE and I hope that their future releases, the Helldiver especially, improves further on what they already have.

And now for Brocken on the wrong side of the law! Here's a classic re-imagined encounter with Ohta's No. 2 Ingram...

Hard to beat the sheer power of mil-spec labors...

Ohta takes a left to the head... gets him MAD!

Deftly applied stunstick whacks the visor (and the operator's smile) away...

Coup de grace... Ohta style.

THE END.

I think that's more like Izumi's style minus the riot gun. Then again, Ohta is usually forced to go hand to hand after his usually fruitless bullet frenzy. That's of course if he can still keep the Ingram's head intact... :) Anyway, awesome pics as usual Drifand. Too bad about the Brocken's build quality - it does look like a nice figure barring the ejecting limbs.

Dammit... I just ordered the OVA version Ingram from HLJ on sale... I figured I'd get the OVA with the red shoulder unit since it's different from every other Ingram I own. Grabbed the Police version of the Taisyo vinyl as well :lol: I really want a Hercules, but it's out of stock.

I really need to see the OVA version of Patlabor. I have the Manga release of the movies I and II with the dub, which is solid, even if the video quality isn't great, and P3 and the TV series on my comp, but I've never seen any of the OVAs anywhere.

I think that's more like Izumi's style minus the riot gun. Then again, Ohta is usually forced to go hand to hand after his usually fruitless bullet frenzy. That's of course if he can still keep the Ingram's head intact... :) Anyway, awesome pics as usual Drifand. Too bad about the Brocken's build quality - it does look like a nice figure barring the ejecting limbs.

Yes it is, isn't it? But I just felt that Izumi's 'regular' opponents were the Tyrant, Pickel-Kun, Griffon; while Ohta fought Brocken more. At least that's how I remember from the manga. He would go for his pistol and then his fists before using the stick! LOL

When I first handled the figure after the limbs popped off, I remember imagining what the Chinese factory workers would say:"!@#$ this sh!t. YOU try to insert tiny peg joints under a cloth cover at 50 pieces per hour, 7 days a week. Foreman's not gonna be able to SEE the limp-legs anyway."

Edited by drifand

I have both the Wave and CM's Ingram and for me, they are on par with each other. While the sculpting accuracy (TV wise) goes to Wave (at at a slightly bigger size too), the CM's feature nicer gimmicks (ooo, flashing lights!) and more accessories (swappable heads). Both offer roughly the same degree of articulation although the WAVE has a bit more freedom on the legs though with some handicaps on the arms and head due to the rubber shrouds (at least on mine). Anyway, glad you enjoyed your WAVE and I hope that their future releases, the Helldiver especially, improves further on what they already have.

Hey todd77, would you mind taking a few quick pics of the WAVE and CM's Ingrams together? Never seen any comparison shots of the two anywhere.

Hey todd77, would you mind taking a few quick pics of the WAVE and CM's Ingrams together? Never seen any comparison shots of the two anywhere.

Argh, I've wanted to do that for the longest time but all my CM's labors are back home whereas right now I'm in my university dorms. :( It'll be quite a while before I can go back. Here's a pic of the WAVE I posted a few pages back:

post-5445-1240271802_thumb.jpg

And another:

post-5445-1240271955_thumb.jpg

Hi, sorry if repost, just found this coll patlabor papercraft from paper-replika.

Designer's Note :

This model is very special to me. I have plan to do this model since 10 years ago when I was a college student, but never comes to reality until now. It is one of the most detailed models that I ever design. Patlabor especially "Alphonse" Av-98 Ingram is the only Japan Mecha which I like very much, realistic.

patlabor-content.jpg

patlabor-content.jpg

ab9bbcfd.jpg