• 2 months later...
Was Wave's Ingram any good? Floppy mess? Messy paint?

These ABS/PVC sculpts always look great in promo pics, but often come up short in reality.

No way Jose

Wave's Ingram is much sleeker and better looking than CMs

Clean Paint apps

Sharp actually

and stiff joints

a Good buy

I stumbled across this while looking through Yamato's site and they apparently give you a full guide on how to fix the rather loose waist on the 1/24 Ingram in japanese , but with pictures! After observing it more it looks like the joint is really just a big ball joint.......no wonder it flops. <_<. For those of us who's daring enough to rip apart a $250 figure you may consult this guide. (Also a little tidbit I found funny was that to tighten the joint you use a piece of the silk Yamato covers your ingram with in order to help add more friction to the joint. :lol: ). Hope this helps for anyone wanting the waist tighter.

AV_98.pdf

Edited by SuperHobo

Hey G-man

do me a favor and take this back to your buddies at yamato

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

cough cough

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaarrrahahahaharaaaarhahayaaahahaha

muuhahahahahaha ara rthaharh choke ahahahahahahaha

The japs. Once a proud nation of perfectionists reduced to americanism

muahahahahahahahahahahahaha

whew best laugh i had in a while

Spend 400 plus on toy wrapped in silk only to discover its a floppy mess and then how do they fix it. They ask you to do delicate surgery on a toy that cost 400 plus muhahahahahahahahaaha

and if you break it tough luck they didnt do it

man oh man

G-man tell them i canceled my pre-order for the blue one hahahahahaha

Good crap dude... so much wrong with your post.

First off, 'Japs'? Really? On a website for Japanese toy fandom, complete with Japanese members? Really?

Secondly, the waist issue is intermittent, and the fact that Yamato released a detailed guide on how to fix it shows a huge amount of customer service and initiative unlike anything we've seen in the Valkyrie lines. When I finally get one, I'll have real qualms about having to do this surgery, as the instructions are pretty much fool-proof. I can understand the argument that it maybe shouldn't need it, but the one thing we've consistently seen from m,any toy makers in the past 5 years is that manufacturing standards are not what they used to be, and it's just become a fact of life for many companies, so whining about it isn't going to get us anywhere.

Good crap dude... so much wrong with your post.

First off, 'Japs'? Really? On a website for Japanese toy fandom, complete with Japanese members? Really?

Secondly, the waist issue is intermittent, and the fact that Yamato released a detailed guide on how to fix it shows a huge amount of customer service and initiative unlike anything we've seen in the Valkyrie lines. When I finally get one, I'll have real qualms about having to do this surgery, as the instructions are pretty much fool-proof. I can understand the argument that it maybe shouldn't need it, but the one thing we've consistently seen from m,any toy makers in the past 5 years is that manufacturing standards are not what they used to be, and it's just become a fact of life for many companies, so whining about it isn't going to get us anywhere.

OMG

DO I MISS GEORGE CARLIN RIGHT NOW

oh well we at least still have lewis black and dennis leary

Edited by nugundamII

I stumbled across this while looking through Yamato's site and they apparently give you a full guide on how to fix the rather loose waist on the 1/24 Ingram in japanese , but with pictures! After observing it more it looks like the joint is really just a big ball joint.......no wonder it flops. <_<. For those of us who's daring enough to rip apart a $250 figure you may consult this guide. (Also a little tidbit I found funny was that to tighten the joint you use a piece of the silk Yamato covers your ingram with in order to help add more friction to the joint. :lol: ). Hope this helps for anyone wanting the waist tighter.

That guide was posted quite a while ago (by me :lol:):

Looks like Yamato is acknowledging the loose waist joint issue and is addressing it by <drumroll> issuing a guide you can use to fix it YOURSELF. <_<

A while I concede that the waist joint isn't as tight as I would have liked on mine, it still does a very good job of holding the upper torso since the waist has two joints - the ball one and a ratcheted joint - the latter which helps a lot in keeping the hefty upper torso erect. I certainly won't be taking mine apart as it is fine as it is. It's nonetheless a solid piece of engineering - lots of gimmicks and fantastic articulation. To me at least, it's the best representation of the Ingram to date.

Spend 400 plus on toy wrapped in silk only to discover its a floppy mess and then how do they fix it. They ask you to do delicate surgery on a toy that cost 400 plus muhahahahahahahahaaha

and if you break it tough luck they didnt do it

The majority of the joints are ratcheted and they hold up very solidly barring the looser waist joint. Posing the toy is great fun particularly with the afforded range of motion (which is awesome) and it balances rather well too.

I think I might just attempt this procedure as the waist on my ingram especially when the waist is fully erect just flops down as soon as I move it. So wish me luck guys. Operating room is now standing by.

If so try to be mindful of where you're gripping the toy, especially the tampo-ed areas like the license plate. That's one area I am particularly wary of after watching the collectionDX video review where I noticed the guy just plain rubbed off the license plate print! Good luck on the surgery!

I think I might just attempt this procedure as the waist on my ingram especially when the waist is fully erect just flops down as soon as I move it. So wish me luck guys. Operating room is now standing by.

can you take a vid of how you are doing it

and

2. are you going to be upset if you screw it up

Ok. For one thing there is no way in hell I would want to shoot a video of this procedure. However, the operation was successful. The waist joint is now nice and stiff ,but you can still move the joint around without it being overly tight. Luckily I was careful enough not to scratch off any of the paint or tampo prints. I think I could of made the waist a little tighter , but I'm not willing to do this operation a second time and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

1. Take it slow and steady.

2. Lots of stuff is connected through pegs so don't start forcing stuff apart, be mindful.

3. Some of the cloth is held on by a peg and glue so again be careful and slowly pry apart.

4. When connecting the newly remedied ball joint to the rest of the body you might want to try leaving the two housing halves of the joint unscrewed and then placed over the ball joint and then screw it in or else you will have a "very fun time".

The whole procedure took about and hour and a half. You'll need some super glue, small slotted screw driver, a piece of the silk, a philips screw driver, some scissors and a needle nose pilers, and a cold drink.

If you really want your Ingram to be perfect this procedure is worth trying. Just take it slow.

Edited by SuperHobo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MAN, do i want the YAMATO ALPHONSE type INGRAM!!

i don't care if it has a waist joint issue,

YAMATO helped me successfully fix my MEGAZONE 23 Shogo-type GARLAND,

and it has not failed me since! i understand that YAMATO offers a similar repair

program for the INGRAM, and i'm sure that it would turn out as perfectly.

i'd substitute a strip of electrician's tape for the cutting

from the sateen cover sheet that YAMATO suggests, though...

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...
Damn it, what to get from the HLJ sale: one of the CM's or one the Wave Ingrams ? Any help guys??

Based on value, I'd recommend CM's since it has more gimmicks (lights, interchangeable heads, carrier stand, cloth covers), higher metal content, and better articulation (since it's not impeded by its cloth-covered joints). Wave's version though, more closely follows the proportions as seen on TV (not the line art which is a little squat - Yamato's 1/24 is the best in terms of accuracy IMO) and features a much better sculpted pilot. The Wave version suffers a bit in terms of articulation due to the rubber shrouds at the joints such as on the neck and elbows. However, the visor shield, chest lamps (the two lamps that pop up on the chest - these do not light up for either versions), and raised pilot seat gimmicks are better implemented in Wave's:

visor shield: MUCH simpler dismantling of the head (WAVE) vs near-model-kit dismantling (CM's)

chest lamps: integrated (WAVE - I've forgotten the method to raise them since I've kept mine long ago) vs swap-out parts (CM's)

raised pilot seat: push a tab hidden by the battery cover (WAVE) vs remove the battery cover, remove the actual battery for the light-up gimmick, and fiddle with a tiny tab (CM's)

Edited by todd77

I'm curious to see how the rubber joint covers on the WAVE hold up over time. I read that the plastic joint covers on the reactive armor version of the CM's Ingram actually become brittle over time.

I believe the wave will be more hardy than the CMs in terms of joints. And well the cloth covers just look like cloth covers. The rubber ones look better. Unless you get the leather 1/24 Yammie the wave is the best thing with better proportions

I don't see how any of you could prefer the rubber joint covers to the cloth ones on the CMS figure... they're CLOTH, and they move just like the cloth covers on the 'real' thing... they look so much better than any rubber joint covers and they don't affect the posability at all. Rubber joints are awful.