Did I screw up?

Kyp Durron

I just won an Ebay auction for $55 for a DYRL 1/60 Rick Hunter Veritech :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

...but afterwords, from reading here and a couple other places it seems that the 1/48 was the way to go.

Can anyone post some comparisons here so I can really see the differences? Also, is this the improved 1/60, or the first release? Can anyone tell by the packaging pic in the auction?

And yes, this is my first post, but I am no Internet n00b. :p

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Well, simply put, yes. (sorry) The 1/48 scale figures are absolutely, unquestionably, without a doubt the BEST VF-1 toys on the market. They're pretty expensive but worth EVERY penny. I was in the same boat as you are last year before I got my first 1/48 and I've never looked back.

However, that's not to say that the other 1/60 lines are bad (I mean the VF-0 and the upcoming YF-19). They're 1/60 but essentially 1/48 scale quality and construction. The only 1/60's to watch out for are the VF-1 figures.

Here are some of my pix, not the greatest, but just to help you get an idea.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Couple of pointers:

1) Veritech is a Robotech term. In the macross universe we are specifically discuss "Valkyries"

2) You should visit the website in the link in my signature although I haven't put up my uber comparison yet... still working on the pics and should soon.

3) the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo (aka Rick Hunter in Robotech) is a first edition 1/60 meaning it has none of the improvements of the later versions. That said, the improvements weren't all that huge so you shouldn't feel like you're missing much. You'll have a gun that isn't as cool and little removeable plastic pieces on the arms whereas the later versions didn't need them.

In a word, No. 1/60 scale is THE most complete Macross line to date. If you want to have your toys in scale with each other you did alright. Then there's the lineart argument where the 1/48 takes a few liberties with the design. The 1/60 better matches the original lineart but has less gimmicks and detail.

I'm not going into the 1/60 vs 1/48 debate. A quick search will show that there are alot of threads devoted to that.

I see..I was afraid of as much. :(

@ jenius: And yes, I know the terminology, I just prefer to use the Robotech terms. But if it bothers everyone for me to use them then Valkyrie, Gerwalk, and Battroid(sp?) it is. :p

I saw that the VF-0A/OS 1/60's seem to have all the cool features of the 1/48's, so I guess I will have to go with them next.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Thw 1/60s ARE a good starter valk though. However the resale value in a pinch sux!!! IF you do stick with this scale, try the Ostrich and the Elint Seeker. They are worth it IMHO. :)

No thanks, this will be my last 1/60 VF-1, period. The only other 1/60's will be VF-OA/OS and the VF-19 1/60.

I will stick to 1/48 and the Robotech MPC's (I already made my mind up to get some of those.) from here on out.

-Kyp

The 1/60 better matches the original lineart but has less gimmicks and detail.

I disagree, the 1/48 seems closer to the lineart to me. The 1/60 is far too pointy and I don't remember enormous hip joints in the original lineart.

Edited by jenius

I disagree, the 1/48 seems closer to the lineart to me. The 1/60 is far too pointy and I don't remember enormous hip joints in the original lineart.

Huge chest plate, skinny arms, bulbous canopy, skeletal fingers,.....etc. etc. etc.

vf.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

And that's it. No more 1/60 vs 1/48 from me. You can do your own comparisons by looking on the main Macrossworld site where Graham has documented pics of all the valkyries out so far.

Different paint schemes don't help your argument as much as you like.

Whatever. It's not about the paint schemes. I was going for the most similar pics/viewing angles so that you can compare the shape to the lineart. Feel free to turn them both into b&w images so you don't have the paint scheme bothering you.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1111989808.gif

okay, point taken, this is not a thread to debate the 1/48 vs the 1/60. Just the same, note the complaint about "skinny arms" and then look at the rear lineart of the plane and tell me you think those arms are fat. Still no fat hips in any lineart either. And does the 1/60 really have better hands?? I'll give you the "bulbous canopy" argument and I would grant that the arms don't tuck up tight enough in the 1/48 but that's as far as I would go. I also hardly think perfect transformation is a "gimmick" but rather the very spirit of Macross toys.

Anyway, the reason I even bother arguing it (despite my stating that we should let the toys speak for themselves... heck, I might even do a little project on that) is just to show the newb that we'll all have our preferences for whatever reason.

Wasn't thinking about PT as a gimmick. More the radom, the individual missiles, air brake, the flaps.....(cool gimmicks really but still gimmicks)

Anyway, the reason I even bother arguing it (despite my stating that we should let the toys speak for themselves... heck, I might even do a little project on that) is just to show the newb that we'll all have our preferences for whatever reason.

We can agree on that. B))

Me personally I like the 1/48 a lot better because it is PT. I am not a big fan of swap transformations, to me it detracts from playability(unless its the SOC gunbuster which is diecast heaven).

And shockwave, I remember yo0u from tfw.....

and with those pics you just posted, you make me REALLY WANT TO BUY THE STEALTH VALKYRIE WITH STRIKE ARMOR ZOMG ITS FREAKING GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me personally I like the 1/48 a lot better because it is PT. I am not a big fan of swap transformations, to me it detracts from playability(unless its the SOC gunbuster which is diecast heaven).

And shockwave, I remember yo0u from tfw.....

and with those pics you just posted, you make me REALLY WANT TO BUY THE STEALTH VALKYRIE WITH STRIKE ARMOR ZOMG ITS FREAKING GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa dude, who are you at twf?

And as far as the stealth goes... it's worth EVERY penny. I totally encourage you to buy one, you will not be disappointed.

BTW jenius, you just like arguing don't you?

This is tone neutral, it occurs to me that everything I write can be taken quite abrasively if you apply the wrong tone to it. Anyway, the two stances I took today, Pro 1/48 and Anti Mac7 seem like pretty solid stances to have. It's not like I'm new to either one of them. I used to laugh with A1s posts and I've blasted the 1/60 since the first time I held one. Hey, if you want to tell me Mac7 makes any sort of sense than you ought to expect me to respond. If you want to tell me the 1/60 has the 1/48 trumped in any way you better be ready to defend the position. My posts are often extremely sarcastic and dismissive, that's just the way I write, it's my attempt at continuing discussion but I understand that it reads in an argumentative fashion. I don't think what happened in this thread was at all an argument. Dangard said something, I said "ya think?", he said "Look here", and I said "eh, I see things differently but whatever."

As far as the MPCs go, if he's going to have a 1/48, a 1/60, and an MPC then it sounds like he'll be in plenty good shape to decide what he wants. He also is clearly a hardcore Robotech fan (which has me stumped as to why he's buying up Hikaru 1As) so if he wants to buy the MPC then so be it. I own lots of all the toys just 'cause I like variety in my display cases. Again, different strokes.

Surprised no one has tried to dissuade him from getting those...

Alright Kyp, look at my avatar.

The way Toynami has handled the whole Beta situation, the lack of updates on their website, and the general impression of disdain I get from Toynami's ACTIONS make it very difficult for me to support them.

Now, look at what's been happenning with the YF-19 and all the recent 1/48 VF-1 and 1/60 VF-0 releases from Yamato. We've gotten a fairly steady stream of updates, CAD pics, prototype pics, info on all the cool little features and gimmicks, and numerous pics of the finished product in all three modes and from various angles.

Granted Yamato still has their issues and flaws. But I'd rather spend my money on a product and on a company that has showed more concern, more "love" (if you will) to its fans than Toynami has shown in its short history.

I have practically all of the Toynami MPC's, one of the Yamato 1/60 VF-1's, a few of the 1/48's, and one of the re-released Bandai 1/55's. So, I do have some bases for my opinions.

Now granted, the MPC's are typically cheaper less expensive and have some charm. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd have started and stayed with the Yamato Valks........Of course, I'd still get my one 1/55 chunky-monkey (just for nostalgia purposes. ;) ).

Just my two cents on the matter.

Edited by Mog

The 1/60 is ok, and its still the only place to get a decent 1D toy. The toys arent quite as cool to me as the 1/48 but they are in scale to everything else Yamato is making these days, so it has its advantages.

Again i pray for a shrunk down 1/48 to 1/60size so I can have my valks in scale.

If you want to tell me the 1/60 has the 1/48 trumped in any way you better be ready to defend the position. My posts are often extremely sarcastic and dismissive, that's just the way I write, it's my attempt at continuing discussion but I understand that it reads in an argumentative fashion. I don't think what happened in this thread was at all an argument. Dangard said something, I said "ya think?", he said "Look here", and I said "eh, I see things differently but whatever."

LOL! You joined MW too late. You should've been on the old MW boards if you wanted discussion and arguments about everything Macross related. Red Comet, SkullOne(greece guy), Vostok 7, LittleValk comics, VF5SS, RT vs MW board wars. M7 vs M2 wars. Ah the good old days.

Kyp: keep the 1/60 VF-1. It'll be a good scale indicator when you get the YF-19 and can compare the two.

Kyp: keep the 1/60 VF-1. It'll be a good scale indicator when you get the YF-19 and can compare the two.

That's the exact and only reason why I'm putting away my '48s and pulling out the '60s. The perfect transformation of the '48 is golden, but I'm tired of the VF-1 anyway so I'm using the '60s for scale reference. The '19, Zero and '60s will look awesome posed together, along with the 1/60 '21 that we all know (oh God please) is coming out. The '48 was great in its day but that day is looooong over, and now it's out of scale with the majority of Yamato's Macross products.

In regards to comparing the '48s and the '60s VF-1s, I like the appearance of the sharper nose on the '60, that's about it...

Edited by myk

Nothing wrong with getting a 1/60 or two. I have the VF-1A Max, an Elintseeker, and a Super Ostrich all in 1/60. They're great for putting next to me 1/60 VF-0S, and soon the 0A, and the YF-19.

The 1/48ths are definitely the better toy. Closer to the lineart, or at the very least a better compromise between the fighter/gerwalk/battroid modes of the lineart than the 1/60's, durable for the amount of detail, and huge.

If all you wanted was a single VF-1 toy, I'd reccomend the 1/48. However, if you plan to collect, again the 1/60 VF-1 is not a bad toy, and and the 1/60 VF-1 line is almost the complete line of every VF-1 varient, with only one exception I can think of offhand.

Also, the 1/60 VF-1 toys are much cheaper than the 1/48ths.

As for the MPC line, the proportions in those toys bother me quite a bit. The Yamato 1/60 scale toys look a helluva lot better, and are like half the asking price. From all accounts, the MPC line is just not worth it. Poor prortions aside, the line is far from complete if you plan on collecting, unless you find them on sale they cost 70-80 bucks a pop, and gimmicks like the light-up-head just make the toys look cheap. If you can find them for 30 bucks, they might be worth looking into. More than that...I dunno. I wouldn't spend more.

Also, the 1/60 VF-1 toys are much cheaper than the 1/48ths.

Really? Don't know about that. The ones that I've found lately do not represent value for money. Add another $30 USD and you have an upscaled version of the VF-1 that is way more awesome.