Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

It was a bad joke - I meant some of his previous modern era planes (except the ones from Zero) seemed to have a samurai motif to their designs. He mentioned the same in his design for MP Starscream, in placing the... big thingy on the hips instead of the legs.

What's even more scary than Starscreams nasty ugliness is the fact that most Trannys seem to LOVE him. There's about 20 pages of praise over at TFW2005.

I'm sorry, but are we reading the same thread? I've been reading it since the second page, and only a few people actually like the design. The rest hate it.

Edited by meh_cd

Ratchet looks pretty good. I like how they used a fairly non traditional transformation scheme for him. I am absolutly baffled by screamer. Since when did he transform into a pregnant whale?

..since Michael Bay. <_<

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=119001

Movie SS's toy seems to be some weird YF-22, F/A-22 hybrid. With the v.stabs from the XFA-27. What happened there? The original design sketch was a YF-22, but I think the movie final design is a proper F/A-22. (Still waiting on my broadband connection, so I haven't seen the trailer yet)

actualty I think it looks closest to the second mock up design for the ATF before it became the F-22 (second in this photo) if you straped bundles of ultra fine tip sharpie's to the wings.

post-4286-1167789005_thumb.jpg

I posted this over at TFW2005, but here's a nice belly shot of an F-22 for comparison, etc:

IPB Image

It's also wallpaper size and quality, so if you want a neat fighter jet desktop, there you go.

It also shows how similar it is to an F-15 underneath---compare to either the real thing, or even MP-03. Could transform exactly the same. IDW certainly figured out how. (And as I and others said at TFW--if you want the bot modes to be in scale, then don't pick the largest-by-far jet the US has)

Painted Auction Pics of Alt. Rumble:

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&...800&start=0

IPB Image

Hmm, i want to like him more... i just can't get past his bulkiness. I guess that's to be expected with Rumble and Frenzy though. Still, he looks alot better than Ravage. <_<

Edited by Veritas

goign back a bit, but I got MP-03 for christmas and wanted to throw my thoughts in. Colour aside, i'm really happy with it.

The tailboom solution seems less annoying now I've got the toy in front of me than it was in pictures, and the legs seem nicely in proportion. I think I am going to cut off that annoying bit that sticks out between the engines, though.

the extensive tampo work puts the yammie VF-1 (my other recent big transforming purchase) to shame, as do the quality of the stickers (nice and thin, if a little opaque)

that colour - realism and character aside, it;s quite a nice colour, and gives the figure a nicely demonic (bat-like, really)feel. he's certainly a villain. standard F-15 grey wouldn't have quite the same effect. my wife did ask "who's that one supposed to be" and when I said starscream, and showed her the other ones i had (G1 and RM) she did mention that the colour was what threw her off.

I was thankful for the alternative transformation sequence info posted on here, so sheers to whoever that was.

true. but making it an F-15E would require a 2-seat cockpit, which would have pretty much broken the transformation. (as it's longer. or is it? I'll have tyo ckeck my books, I may be talking rubbish again)

the F-15 grey i was taling about was the light grey of the A's and C's..

Edited by RFT

true. but making it an F-15E would require a 2-seat cockpit, which would have pretty much broken the transformation. (as it's longer. or is it? I'll have tyo ckeck my books, I may be talking rubbish again)

the F-15 grey i was taling about was the light grey of the A's and C's..

But they're already using the wrong color. What's wrong with using another wrong color?

I'm still waiting for the animation colors.

I'm not denying that the colour isn't quite the right one and that better ones weren;t availabe, but the one they've chosen still looks pretty good - that's all i'm saying, really.

anyway, i''ve just nticed something I can;t remeber seeing any comment on. on the outer edges of MP starscreams's shoulders are what appear to be two pivoted sockets that point either up or outwards in bot mode and are hidden or pointing down in jet mode.

on this pic of the underside they're the gaps in the stripes directly behind the intakes.

and you can see them in bot mode here

you can see the sockets (though they appear circular) on this pre-kawamori revisions design sketch.

theories:

1: orignial idea for connection to stand (doubtful - too far forward)

2: earlier desing for the megatron mount used them

3: hardpoint for some other, later deleted jet mode weapon (not that you attach anything to a real F-15 there.)

whatever it is, they seem utterly uselss and it's odd to have a moving part that serves no function at all...

Edited by RFT

FYI, current USAF F-15A-D's are quite a bit darker than 80's ones. The new scheme came around after Desert Storm, but was initially only used on F-15's in the Pacific, then Europe--didn't spread to US-based ones until the mid 90's. Only planes using Gunship Grey (and pure black F-117's) are darker than current F-15C's.

And I still think they intended to make Starscream Gunship Grey like F-15E's, but somebody screwed up, or is colorblind.

As for the mystery holes---they're perfect for an F-15E's LANTIRN pods. Like the conformal tanks, they are not permanently mounted, but there 99% of the time.

First pic: Freshly painted F-15A in current scheme

Second pic: F-15E belly showing intake-mounted pods

I'm not denying that the colour isn't quite the right one and that better ones weren;t availabe, but the one they've chosen still looks pretty good - that's all i'm saying, really.

anyway, i''ve just nticed something I can;t remeber seeing any comment on. on the outer edges of MP starscreams's shoulders are what appear to be two pivoted sockets that point either up or outwards in bot mode and are hidden or pointing down in jet mode.

on this pic of the underside they're the gaps in the stripes directly behind the intakes.

and you can see them in bot mode here

you can see the sockets (though they appear circular) on this pre-kawamori revisions design sketch.

theories:

1: orignial idea for connection to stand (doubtful - too far forward)

2: earlier desing for the megatron mount used them

3: hardpoint for some other, later deleted jet mode weapon (not that you attach anything to a real F-15 there.)

whatever it is, they seem utterly uselss and it's odd to have a moving part that serves no function at all...

My guess is that they were for the coronation sholder elements you see in the movie. Given the way they swivel it makes sense because it would still allow for full movement of his arms. The initial concept artwork for MP-03 alshow shows designs for a crown ant there are holes at the side of his head that I'm guessing were for it. Also given the two movie props MP-05 Megatron has...

[attachmentid=39400]

post-73-1168033690_thumb.jpg