Would You Buy A Blu-ray/hd-dvd Player...

isamu

How many of you would buy a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player *JUST* for a hi-def version of either Macross Plus Movie or DYRL?

I know I would. Infact, isn't the 25th anniversary of Macross next year? I get the hunch they will give us something special....and hopefully that something special is a hi-def transfer of either of those films :)

I'm not convinced either format will knock out DVD, especially when you consider the cost VS availability factor. Look how long it took people to abandon VHS. While Blue-Ray & HD are both superior in regards to quality & storage space, a $100+ TV series for instance is still going to cost $100+ It'll just be packed on fewer disc's. HD TV technology still isn't really mass consumer priced, and even then, average Joe six pack isn't going to notice the difference between that & his 19-50 inch TV anyway.

Maybe in a few more years, but I just don't see the purpose in upgrading now, when there's no truly significant advantage.

I'm not convinced either format will knock out DVD, especially when you consider the cost VS availability factor.

Which is currently exactly how DVD was at launch.

Maybe in a few more years, but I just don't see the purpose in upgrading now, when there's no truly significant advantage.

Pretty much my point of view. Especially since there's an ugly format war brewing(I currently have no faith in the ability of 2 mass-market formats to get along and play nicely).

At the moment...not worth it.

414614[/snapback]

my copies works fine

as far as choosing one format over the other well

its way to early to tell which is the better option.

I'm more refferring to LD, Super VHS, VCD, and whatever else there was at the time that tried to dethrone VHS. Sure some formats were better (S-VHS & LD), but none managed to make a dent for 20 years. I just don't think people are maliable enough to accept a new format within 10 years of its launch.

Pretty much my point of view. Especially since there's an ugly format war brewing(I currently have no faith in the ability of 2 mass-market formats to get along and play nicely).

414622[/snapback]

And unfortunately, both may end up cancelling each other out. While this is all common for the video game industry, the home video market has always been different.

meh, my tv is not HD and there's no sign of it being replaced anytime soon, and I'm not about to pay premium prices on tech that may or may not be around two years from now. I think I'm going to have to let the dust settle on this one before I jump in.

I'm more refferring to LD, Super VHS, VCD, and whatever else there was at the time that tried to dethrone VHS. Sure some formats were better (S-VHS & LD), but none managed to make a dent for 20 years. I just don't think people are maliable enough to accept a new format within 10 years of its launch.

I think that the move to HDTV will provide fuel.

The home theater market in the US is a lot stronger than it was pre-DVD.

414622[/snapback]

And unfortunately, both may end up cancelling each other out. While this is all common for the video game industry, the home video market has always been different.

414804[/snapback]

I'm expecting something more like VHS VS Beta. One format ultimately won and went on to dominate.

Why? Chances are neither of these formats will stick. That would be foolish.

414845[/snapback]

So you're expecting a THIRD HD media to appear?

Or you genuinely believe the people buying HDTVs don't want HD material to view on them?

I have an HD set, but I think I'd have to pass. DYRL is so old that it may end up looking worse on HD, it would have to be completely remastered to take full advantage of everything that HD has to offer. For now, I'll stick with the R2, I don't mind the minor artifacts and my xbox does a decent job with the interlacing.

M+ Movie Edition would benefit more from the HD treatment, but it's still over 10 years old, so who knows. What I really want from this film is a DTS release.

The geometric leap from VHS to DVD justified spending the extra money, and you didn't need a high end set to reap the benefits. But from all the reviews I've read about HD DVD, an HD set is a must, and even then the increase in picture clarity is only marginal. The only titles that really shined on HD were those recently produced. That knocks out all of the Macross, except Zero. Too bad I didn't like Zero. :lol:

I have an HD set, but I think I'd have to pass.  DYRL is so old that it may end up looking worse on HD, it would have to be completely remastered to take full advantage of everything that HD has to offer. 

Doubtful.

Remember, it was originally developed as a theatrical release, intended to be projected onto a fifty-foot screen. That necessitates a fairly high level of detail.

M+ Movie Edition would benefit more from the HD treatment, but it's still over 10 years old, so who knows.  What I really want from this film is a DTS release.

Same as above.

But yes, DTS would be nice. Ditto for DYRL, if it hasn't already had it.

Lossless audio streams would be better for both, though. DTS is still lossy, it's just far less lossy than Dolby Digital.

The geometric leap from VHS to DVD justified spending the extra money, and you didn't need a high end set to reap the benefits.  But from all the reviews I've read about HD DVD, an HD set is a must, and even then the increase in picture clarity is only marginal.  The only titles that really shined on HD were those recently produced.  That knocks out all of the Macross, except Zero.  Too bad I didn't like Zero.  :lol:

414928[/snapback]

Having an HD set IS a must. If you're stuck with 480 lines of resolution, there's not a real point to moving up to a better media.

But whether it's a marginal improvement or not once you have the resolution increase is highly debatable. I see too many faults on my existing DVD collection to honestly say there's not room for improvement.

Obviously, not everything will benefit from HD. Sort of like when they copied Sorcerer's Apprentice over for Fantasia 2000. While the film grain wasn't an issue at all for the home release, when you were in the theater it was massively visible, and it was made worse given it was sandwiched by footage that was originally filmed on the larger IMAX film.

i say you wait until one format falls. just like the good old days beta vs vhs. remember beta has better pic quality, but lost to vhs. one way or another something has to give. and also, do not rush into new tech. it's better to just sit back and see what's up. as for me, i am happy with the dvd right now. much better upgrade compare to vhs. no need to remind and worry about quality lost. and yes, i dont have a big screen tv, so that's another factor to my reason to wait.

ps

i am sure one format will fall and there will be a hybrid player that will play both formats. and later the price will drop like crazy. remember how much a dvd play used to cost and how much it cost now? :)

well, i'm planning on getting a PS3 eventually, so if they rerelease DYRL? on blu-ray, (highly doubtful), then i would buy it.

i'm not getting the HD-DVD drive for my 360 though.

415180[/snapback]

I'm having serious doubts the PS3 is gonna survive.

Sony's following the traditional pattern of the video game industry, where the dominant hardware company grows overconfident, believes they are invincible, and then shoots themself in the head.

well, i'm planning on getting a PS3 eventually, so if they rerelease DYRL? on blu-ray, (highly doubtful), then i would buy it.

415180[/snapback]

Sony's following the traditional pattern of the video game industry, where the dominant hardware company grows overconfident, believes they are invincible, and then shoots themself in the head.

415183[/snapback]

yeah, I'm seeing nintendo making a huge comback and winning this round in the console wars with wii.

415180[/snapback]

415183[/snapback]

All the companies are having the same problem 360's smoking problem, the Wii's retarded name and several other considerations that just aren't making me personally happy with all three companies.

415180[/snapback]

415183[/snapback]

All the companies are having the same problem 360's smoking problem, the Wii's retarded name and several other considerations that just aren't making me personally happy with all three companies.

415188[/snapback]

Only Sony is making the same mistakes that led to the fall of the House of Atari, the Kingdom of Sega, and the Nintendo Empire.

MS is still playing the traditional "Man, I wish I was number 1" role, and Nintendo is doing their own thing, which has become what they're best known for post-SNES.

Of course, Nintendo's the only one to fall and remain relevant, so clearly they're doing something right.

Edited by JB0

415180[/snapback]

415183[/snapback]

415188[/snapback]

Only Sony is making the same mistakes that led to the fall of the House of Atari, the Kingdom of Sega, and the Nintendo Empire.

MS is still playing the traditional "Man, I wish I was number 1" role, and Nintendo is doing their own thing, which has become what they're best known for post-SNES.

Of course, Nintendo's the only one to fall and remain relevant, so clearly they're doing something right.

415189[/snapback]

I think that's mainly from the fact that nintendo's market is little kid type of games alot of the time.

As for Sony they'll always pull crap and bounce back from it, let's not forget Beta.

I think that's mainly from the fact that nintendo's market is little kid type of games alot of the time.

LOL NINTENDO AM TEH KIDDIEZ GAEMZ!1111

Never heard that one before...

*rolls eyes*

As for Sony they'll always pull crap and bounce back from it, let's not forget Beta.

415289[/snapback]

Fun fact: JVC paid Sony lots of royalties on VHS. Because the fundamental technology behind VHS was licensed from Sony, who patented it for... Beta.

So what everyone ignores is that Sony made money on VHS AND Beta. They didn't really CARE who won, even though they created Beta.

And contrary to popular belief, Sony was not the only producer of Beta. Much like JVC did with VHS, they licensed the platform to a wide variety of vendors.

BTW, if you'd care to explain how Sony's ability to survive staggering incompetence of the type they're currently demonstrating with the PS3(which they've demonstarted before with the MiniDisk, Digital Audio Tape, and a host of other products) has any bearing on whether the PS3 will be a success, I'm all ears.

Sony is shooting themselves in the foot on the PS3. With a rocket launcher.

If I were them, I'd be betting my future as a game company on the PSP.

Again, this parallels Nintendo, who sustained their market presence through the GameBoy. Though the PSP has some stiff competition in the form of the DS. And from what I've heard, most PSPs are being used as media players instead of game machines.

You know what I really don't appreciate having myself likened to some 16 year old twit that can't spell or use proper grammar.

The fact of the matter is the majority of games that I've ever seen Nintendo put out are targeted towards younger audiences.

As for the VHS and Beta thing, I'm not even going there because obviously you can't have a conversation without insulting someone.

You know what I really don't appreciate having myself likened to some 16 year old twit that can't spell or use proper grammar.

The fact of the matter is the majority of games that I've ever seen Nintendo put out are targeted towards younger audiences.

As for the VHS and Beta thing, I'm not even going there because obviously you can't have a conversation without insulting someone.

415454[/snapback]

actually, sony is in trouble. They lost out big time in the portable music market by pushing the MD and missing out on the MP3 wave. This let smaller companies like Samsung, iRiver and Creative Labs really take a bite into that market. In America, the ipod rules all.

They never pushed into the top three with their cell phones and had to join up with Ericsson and even still, motorola and samsung have really established a stronghold when it comes to high end, feature rich phones.

Televisions, sony has also taken a beating... Samsung has been running up and down beating them with in the LCD/plasma market and whole DLP thing really has made a big dent.

In short, smaller companies like samsung and LG have really taken a big bite out of Sony's market and Samsun is expected to surpass Sony in terms of worldwide brand name recognition.

Is sony done for? Not hardly, they are a well diversified company and their recent movies have done well... but definitely their core electronics market has been shrinking and they are vulnerable.

The majority I've seen have been decent games that are suitable for all audiences except those which feel they need blood and tits in their games to prove they aren't children.

I've seen very few Nintendo titles that were ACTUALLY kid-oriented.

The whole "Nintendo is kiddy" argument is a joke. And a tired one.

Translation: "You're right, but I'd rather call you a meanie than concede the point."

Well I have a HD DVD player so I'm ready for an HD version of DYRL. But knowing there will be no Region 1 DYRL release (At least I dont think so.) I will most likely have to buy a region free HD DVD player.

So put me down for yes.

415481[/snapback]

we are hoping that it looks good on hd. they might have to reanimate it and add in detail etc. This seems promising though. I hope they keep the plans like this.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/07/no-regi...des-for-hd-dvd/

The "DVD Forum Japan Conference 2005" is being held in Japan today, and because of the time difference, it's already over. The primary topic of the meeting was, as expected, HD DVD. Plenty of information is emerging from the conference, such as the steps towards finalizing standards that we won't bother you with (though they did announce "HD DVD-RR," a sort of HD DVD version of DVD-RAM). But one statement from Toshiba Digital Media Networks' Hisashi Yamada was particularly intriguing: "We've gotten a variety of opinions about region controls. Even in the Steering Committee, they are extremely unpopular; we decided to not put them in. HD DVD probably won't contain any region playback controls." Of course there's still that "probably" in there, but it's nice to see someone up there realizes how ridiculous DVD region codes really are.

To answer the question. I would not buy a hd-dvd player for macross dyrl etc. I already own them and the quality is good enough for what it was.

Anime is not designed for hdtv. YOU will loose alot of the budget which could be used to do additional episodes instead of doing ultra high detail. Your camera i what you draw and that takes more money and time. Do you really want 4-10 episodes of cinamaticly beautifull footage or 26-50 episodes of good story. I would rather have a good story. But that is me.

Edited by Ali Sama

Do the words, "Stay on topic" mean anything to you people?

I'm looking at you JB0.

415553[/snapback]

This is barely on topic and the topic is barely disguised as a Macross thread. Maybe 1 in every 4 posts. Everything else is blah blah sony, blah blah nintendo, blah blah microsoft.

THIS IS NOT A GAME THREAD.

If the next few posts aren't about Macross this thread gets locked and the persons responsible will have to deal with a weeks suspension.

Would I buy HD-DVD or BluRay for a High-Def transfer of DYRL or M+? In short, no. Look to JBO's on-topic posts for a longer explanation. I agree completely. I'd also like to add, that High-Def is not neccessarily a good thing for older movies, like M+ and DYRL. A high-def transfer may only succeeding in making both movies look worse.

While I would definately seriously think about buying Macross in HD, I would have to wait until a stable format comes around and stays around. I can be accused of being an early adopter on a lot of expensive techy junk (I still own a sony minidisc player) and having been burned by being an early adpoter in the past the comming storm between HDDVD and Blu-Ray just rubs me the wrong way. I want to wait until one or the other is easily noticable as the dominant format before I invest in a player... and even then it could still get one-upped by something waiting in the wings. So I guess my answer is Yes I will eventually buy an HD video system and Yes I will eventually buy Macross on HD video (only SDF TV, DYRL and Flashback though) if it is offered... but I will not buy a HD video system just to get Macross in HD.

We still need an R1 DVD of DYRL? and a decent R1 DVD of Macross Plus the Movie first... slow down lol ;)

I wouldn't buy a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player for just those two titles. But I probably won't buy either of those players anyway. I won't be surprised if those two formats go the way of DVD audio and SACDs...