The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

So... the latest Basquash!... pretty sweet, huh?

/me hasn't watched a Haruhi episode since Endless Eight 3.

/me is pretty pissed about the whole situation.

I think the only way to get back at the people behind Endless Eight is to just write the same fan commentary over and over and over.

Therefore, I hereby announce that this post will be the only thing I write in this thread - over and over - until we actually see something "truly" new in Haruhi Suzumiya.

Pete

So... the latest Basquash!... pretty sweet, huh?

/me hasn't watched a Haruhi episode since Endless Eight 3.

/me is pretty pissed about the whole situation.

You know, I keep meaning to watch this show, but I heard Funi was interested in picking it up, so I figured I'd wait for the DVD/Bluray if it happens.

query: In the subs that Yuki uses, Haruhi keeps refering to the manager of the store that wear the frog suits at as "my man". Is this an accurate translation?

To me, it sounded like she was calling the manager "occhan", which I think is the male equivalent of "obachan", so maybe "gramps" would've been a better translation. Of course, if somebody who's better at Japanese knows differently, please feel free to correct me.

I think the only way to get back at the people behind Endless Eight is to just write the same fan commentary over and over and over.

Therefore, I hereby announce that this post will be the only thing I write in this thread - over and over - until we actually see something "truly" new in Haruhi Suzumiya.

Pete

Edit: Although I think that Endless Eight is the best episode yet, because on the one hand nothing extraordinary happens in the episode - however, its' very repetition is the "extraordinary event." As Haruhi says "you can't repeat time" - this is her argument for why they have to do all the things on the list - it's because this is the only time in their lives they will be freshmen in high school (or whatever it's called). Ironically, it is repeated into infinity. Or at least eight times? Is eight in reference to the list of things to do?

Edited by VFTF1

To me, it sounded like she was calling the manager "occhan", which I think is the male equivalent of "obachan", so maybe "gramps" would've been a better translation. Of course, if somebody who's better at Japanese knows differently, please feel free to correct me.

I thought jiji was the equivilent of obachan. Not that I know any Japanese aside from what I hear in anime.

Is eight in reference to the list of things to do?

In one of the iterations, there were 15 things listed, so I don't think so. I think it's a reference to August (the eighth month, or 八月). Also, the Arabic eight (8) looks like the infinity symbol (∞) turned on its side.

In one of the iterations, there were 15 things listed, so I don't think so. I think it's a reference to August (the eighth month, or 八月). Also, the Arabic eight (8) looks like the infinity symbol (∞) turned on its side.

I think that Endless Eight is the best episode yet, because on the one hand nothing extraordinary happens in the episode - however, its' very repetition is the "extraordinary event." As Haruhi says "you can't repeat time" - this is her argument for why they have to do all the things on the list - it's because this is the only time in their lives they will be freshmen in high school (or whatever it's called). Ironically, it is repeated into infinity. Or at least eight times? Is eight in reference to the list of things to do?

Pete

They've repeated the cycle for 15,527 times sofar. Endless eight is a reference to the greek letter omega which is the mathmatical symbol for infinity.

The chain of events only differes marginally from one cycle to the other. Only the truly important things change like clothes, swimsuits and hairstyles, remember that god is a woman here.

Edited by Bri

Omega = Big O = 800 = The End = Haruhi = Woman :lol::huh:

I thought jiji was the equivilent of obachan. Not that I know any Japanese aside from what I hear in anime.

Doesn't obachan means "auntie"? Ojichan is uncle or old man. Also, jiji is not always a nice thing to call an old man...

Edited by shiroikaze

Endless Eight, The Reset of Haruhi Suzumiya, 8 of 8

IT'S FINALLY OVER!

Is it really? Is it REALLY REALLY OVER!?? IS THERE A NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW? Wait a minute, was there ever a Haruhi Suzumiya episode that wasn't Endless Eight? I've heard rumors, and have faint traces of memory, but I dont' know if I can trust even that.

Stupid youtube uploaders, only caught the first & last 3rds, but really, I've watched this damn thing so many times now..

I'll say this. The ending here would have been epic, had this been the "3rd" repetition. I can tell you I would have been on the edge of my seat anticipating every moment of it, marvelling at the simplicity of the solution (even after having guess, and read translations of the novel chapter ending to comfirm my guess), it would have been one hell of a 3 part ride.

However, the me after watching this episode for the 8th time just can't feel anything about it. Which is sad because I really really want to. It's a well done story, nicely executed conclusion, coherently makes sense, but there's one factor that the studio forgot when planning their prank. Kyon has his memory whiped after each interval, with faint deja vu traces to remind him. The viewer remembers each and every minute of watching the same damn thing 8 times. Botom line, fail for ruining the story, with the side note that we can all luckily watch any variationof only 3 episodes of this when it hits home release, and hopefully by then, the bad taste will be gone.

Now, the next new episode better be so freakin' epic that I totally forget this stunt. I'm talkin Live Alive epic.

You'll excuse me while I go watch the missing middle part that's now been uploaded, I can only assume I've got some deep rooted OCD for even remotely thinking I need to see the animation variations that I missed..

So... I can actually start caring again... in another month and a half when the reruns are done?

I'm just assuming they aren't doing Sighs at this point, and will be doing Disappearance based on the ending theme and remaining episodes.

Well, let's see if I can recover from my apathy in that time.

I haven't watched E8 past the third iteration, and at this point I don't really care to see v.8 at this point.

Good work, Kyoto Animation. You've successfully trolled the hell out of the fanbase, and probably destroyed the franchise' worth as animation in the process.

I'm surprised anyone though Endless Eight was going to be less(or more?! 0_o) than 8 episodes after about the third repeat.

I actually find the whole thing highly amusing concept...It was a kind of way to transmit the despair of the characters to real life.

All the fan rage.

Yeah, except they may have completely screwed over the people counting on profits from those episodes.

Sure, the fan rage is funny. But unless they come up with some way to fit all 8 episodes on one dvd release, AND keep it the same price as the others, the sales for those episodes are going to tank. People will likely buy the beginning and end episodes, but depending on how the dvds are organized, 2-3 discs might be largely ignored by all but completists.

Fan rage is a strange thing, E8 may have a bad rep it also created a large buzz. When all things settle down we will see how Kyoani's gamble paid off.

Don't forget K-on! got blasted by a lot of Kyoani fans, but got massive sales. The Blu-ray is one of the best selling in history and outsold Macross Frontier two times over on the opening day. They have a keen sense of the market.

Edited by Bri

I'm surprised anyone though Endless Eight was going to be less(or more?! 0_o) than 8 episodes after about the third repeat.

We were hoping(fearing?).

I actually find the whole thing highly amusing concept...It was a kind of way to transmit the despair of the characters to real life.

All the fan rage.

I thought episode 2 did that well on it's own.

Watching essentially the same episode 6.5 times in a row*?

I don't think so.

*(With the first episode being different and the last episode having a different ending)

Except for the broadcast order DVDs, which don't even look particularly good at their native resolution. :(

That's more to do with Kyoto being cocks over the sheer notion that R1 fans would want broadcast order DVD's.