The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

What's up with this Endless Eight fiasco? When they said there was going to be a second season I didn't think part of it was going to include

maybe eight episodes of the same thing happening with some variations.

Even if it happened in the book, it's still a cheap gimmick. It doesn't work as well as

Groundhog's Day

and any other sci-fi series that faced the same problem.

What's up with this Endless Eight fiasco? When they said there was going to be a second season I didn't think part of it was going to include

maybe eight episodes of the same thing happening with some variations.

Even if it happened in the book, it's still a cheap gimmick.

That's the thing... it DIDN'T happen in the book. Endless Eight 2 was the first, last, and ONLY iteration published in print.

Apparently, one of the Haruhi season one staff has apologized for not being there to stop Endless Eight. Apparently he quit while they were planning E8, and was arguing for no more than 2 episodes.

After he quit, they plowed ahead with the Summer of Hell.

Kyoto Animation has issued a statement saying, in effect, that he don't work here no more, so his opinion don't matter.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...le.php?id=62666

Wow.. Regardless, this is truly one of the most legendary, though inane anime stunts ever.

It's pretty awesome. In a way, I feel KyoAni's Endless Eight arc symbolizes and sums up our own summers pretty well--Well, most people...

It's 2 episodes per DVD in Japan right? That's alot of anger and money... As much as I think KyoAni's trolling of the fans is awesome, if I lived in Japan, I'd hate to buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays at full price.

Edited by shiroikaze

I think in Japan, it's 2 episodes per DVD right? That's alot of anger and money... As much as I think KyoAni's trolling of the fans is awesome, the DVDs/Blu-Rays are gonna hurt a bit.

That would make this even worse than when Wolf's Rain did it. There's really only 7 episodes (the first Endless Eight) in season 2 with a lot more useless filler than necessary (the other Endless Eights and season one mixed in for the hell of it). If the webisodes had an impact on how this was going to turn out, why did they even bother with them?

Edited by Einherjar

@wolfx: Speaking of which, I lol at otaku rage.

haruhiotakurage.jpg

That's the thing... it DIDN'T happen in the book. Endless Eight 2 was the first, last, and ONLY iteration published in print.

Apparently, one of the Haruhi season one staff has apologized for not being there to stop Endless Eight. Apparently he quit while they were planning E8, and was arguing for no more than 2 episodes.

After he quit, they plowed ahead with the Summer of Hell.

Kyoto Animation has issued a statement saying, in effect, that he don't work here no more, so his opinion don't matter.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...le.php?id=62666

Yamakan was the original director for Haruhi who for reasons i still do not understand got booted out of Kyoani during Lucky Star for apparently doing a bad job? Anyway being the original director for Haruhi he just apologised to show that he knew about it but the powers that be decided against him to show the Endless 8 episodes.

To me it feels more like a jab rather than a sincere apology

Edited by wolfx

haruhiotakurage.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamakan was the original director for Haruhi who for reasons i still do not understand got booted out of Kyoani during Lucky Star for apparently doing a bad job? Anyway being the original director for Haruhi he just apologised to show that he knew about it but the powers that be decided against him to show the Endless 8 episodes.

To me it feels more like a jab rather than a sincere apology

According to both him and KyoAni, he left voluntarily.

He even says as much in his apology. That he's apologizing not for doing this travesty, but for leaving when he could've stayed and fought the good fight.

Now it may be that KyoAni made life suck until he felt he HAD to leave because he wasn't getting anything done, but...

You know what's funny about this (besides all the obvious reasons already mentioned elsewhere)... I wonder if it's a stalling tactic. Not just to stall for insanity's sake, but to accomplish something behind the scenes.

Really, I wouldn't expect them to flesh out the entire timeline yet, so whether they're doing them chronologically or not, it doesn't mean we're absolutely going to get the filming story this season. They may pull the same stunt some time in the future, and insert even more new episodes.

What struck me as a serious problem when this started was that when the theoretical episode lists started showing up, they would lead to an unfinishable show. Any way you slice the Disappearance story, once it starts, you're in for a ride to the end of the novels... or should I say, the lack of an end of the novels.

While it may be filler, this marathon of monotony is doing something very obvious, and possibly very important: it's building up a huge mass of fanbase rage, from fans who're sick of KyoAni's tactics. For this story in particular, what does it do?? People get impatient waiting for the ending. So, they find other means of getting the rest of the story. Which is actually already easily available... in the novels.

While I don't know if they'd be so incredibly devious, this stunt almost makes me think they're trying to convince the author to go back and write more novels. I'd like to see the sales figures for the book containing the original Endless Eight story for the past few weeks, and see if there's been any jump.

It may be too complicated to be realistic, but this could all be a giant plot to reinvigorate the fanbase and get them to pursue the novels, and get the author to realize he has a potential legion of fans waiting for the end.

The makers of the series have been constantly able to keep the fanbase off guard. Haruhi is as unpredictable as ever, and I love it. Endless eight is one of the riskiest and daring anime stunts I have ever seen, must have taken balls of steell to ignore the fanrage, heh.

Anyway I don't think it will end with the novel ending, my bet is they will change it a bit. They are hinting quite a bit at the chicades. Who knows, there might be a real season 2 in the pipeline. I have learned not to take anything for granted with this series. Just enjoying an episode a week and I'll see when endless eight will end.

Lot of fanrage stems from them not having enough time to animate certain book chapters. Sometimes not having read the books is a blessing.

So, they find other means of getting the rest of the story. Which is actually already easily available... in the novels.

While I don't know if they'd be so incredibly devious, this stunt almost makes me think they're trying to convince the author to go back and write more novels. I'd like to see the sales figures for the book containing the original Endless Eight story for the past few weeks, and see if there's been any jump.

It may be too complicated to be realistic, but this could all be a giant plot to reinvigorate the fanbase and get them to pursue the novels, and get the author to realize he has a potential legion of fans waiting for the end.

I thought that alot of the fans would've already bought the books a long time ago during Season 1's run...

Edited by shiroikaze

You konw, if htey didn't actually count these episodes against the proposed season run, or rather, if this wasn't a season at all, literally just summer filler, with the season picking up in hte fall, I think they'd be forgiven. Think about it, this was never announced as a second season, it was announced as a re-run of the first. We know they can still do gold, as Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody was an incredible episode, so it's not that I don't have faith in the current staff. Hell, I'd be enjoying Endless Eight if it wasn't going on for 595 years... Anyawy, I anctiously await the announcement of the real Haruhi season 2 in a couple of episodes.

Edited by Keith

You konw, if htey didn't actually count these episodes against the proposed season run, or rather, if this wasn't a season at all, literally just summer filler, with the season picking up in hte fall, I think they'd be forgiven.

No, not really.

Any way you slice it, after episode 3, it's just wasted air space.

We know they can still do gold, as Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody was an incredible episode, so it's not that I don't have faith in the current staff.

Moral of the story: If they don't stick close to the source material, they can't do squat.

And continuing my dislike of Someday in the Rain(Hey, we can't JUST talk about "Endless Eight is endless")...

I realized why exactly it feels so wrong. It's the only Haruhi story anywhere that isn't first-person. Large chunks of it are across town from Kyon.

Aside from just being WRONG, it also strips the sarcastic commetary out of everything. And what fun is a Haruhi story without Kyon being a sarcastic ass?

So - I finally started watching season 2.

Why?

For the best of reasons:

I was bored.

Anyways - got through the first and second episode - by which I mean the "summer vacation" and then Melancholy Part 2 episodes.

Summer Vacation: It was strangely endearing. You were just waiting for something to happen - and it didn't. I liked the suspenceful moments that weren't. Every time Yuki Nagato gives that blank stare of hers in any situation, I get the feeling she is analyzing something important which we can't recognize...

I was somewhat surprised that Haruhi persists in being the best at doing everything. It must be horribly depressing sometimes to be around someone who brags AND also accomplishes pretty much everything they set out to do. Homework? Done. Cicada hunting? She catches the most. Baseball? WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

Speaking of baseball - This series is really making me appreciate that game more and more. It is such a lethargic, long-lasting and melancholic game now that I think about it...

Anyways...

The next episode was a tad crazy - or at least very much of a contrast - almost like a real continuation...

However - it does make me wonder:

Is it any wonder that the time traveling and other fantastical events happen when they go back to school, while during summer all they do is have fun?

Could it be that the freedom of summer means you don't need to liven things up with aliens, espers, dark-space and the like - but once you get back to "real life" (school,work etc) - then these things start to be necessary as escapes from the grind of the day-to-day?

Looking forward to Rhapsody tonight.

Pete

I....

am confused.

Ok... because...I... I'm trying to..um... watch these in the correct order... but... are there like three different titles for the same episode?

Because when I download Bamoo Rapsody I get the same episode as when I download Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2?

And when I download Endless Eight I... get...er...the same thing...

That is...I keep just getting the same two episodes... no matter the title...

It's always either the summer fun episode with the cicada hunt or it's the one where they write their wishes to the gods and Kyon time travels with Asahina...

I'm... very confused.

I think I'm going to have to go...watch something else...

Or...

Is there...more than 2 episodes in this..season>?../...

e...

help.

Pete

help.

Pete

They pretty much injected season 2 during season 1's rerun. So if I remember correctly, Season 2's episode 1 replaced Season 1's episode 8. It went back to Season 1's run for a couple episodes. Then all of sudden, ENDLESS EIGHT INCOMING!

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi 2 has 8 episodes so far and their titling would be:

Bamboo Rhapsody

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

Endless Eight

:p

Edited by shiroikaze

I....

am confused.

Ok... because...I... I'm trying to..um... watch these in the correct order... but... are there like three different titles for the same episode?

Because when I download Bamoo Rapsody I get the same episode as when I download Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2?

And when I download Endless Eight I... get...er...the same thing...

That is...I keep just getting the same two episodes... no matter the title...

It's always either the summer fun episode with the cicada hunt or it's the one where they write their wishes to the gods and Kyon time travels with Asahina...

I'm... very confused.

I think I'm going to have to go...watch something else...

Or...

Is there...more than 2 episodes in this..season>?../...

e...

help.

Pete

There are multiple episode numbering schemes for both seasons.

Season 1 was broadcast out of order.

Then sorted into chronological order and renumbered for the DVD release.

Then renumbered AGAIN when it was interlaced with season 2.

Season 2 has numbering that includes season 1 episodes and numbering that does not.

And if you keep getting Endless Eight, you're doing it right. There are currently SEVEN episodes titled Endless Eight. 6 of them are ALMOST identical to each other. Each one has a slight variation. I hate you, Kyoto Animation.

And if you keep getting Endless Eight, you're doing it right. There are currently SEVEN episodes titled Endless Eight. 6 of them are ALMOST identical to each other. Each one has a slight variation. I hate you, Kyoto Animation.

I think I noticed one slight variation yesterday - but I can't remember it today.

Ok - so now I have to...download the rest of them.

But thanks for confirming - there are basically two new episodes, out of which one of those "new" episodes has 8 possible, and nearly identical looks.

Great :)

I am loving this!

Pete

This weeks episode of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was indeed awesome, i really like where the story is going this time, makes a lot more sense even if the episode count is shorter.

Personally, I prefer blue berries to cranberries, even on Thanksgiving. I like my turkey without the cranberries, because cranberries are too bitter. This is of course odd, since I am generally a conesuer of bitter tasting foods. But that's the exception to the rule.

Beyond that, Monday is not as bad as it is made out to be on Three's Company.

Pete

ps: this was my attempt at humorously showing Kieth that his post was possibly off topic/posted in the wrong thread?.... If not, please feel free to educate me as to what FM Alchemist has to do with Haruhi Suzumiya :)

Personally, I prefer blue berries to cranberries, even on Thanksgiving. I like my turkey without the cranberries, because cranberries are too bitter. This is of course odd, since I am generally a conesuer of bitter tasting foods. But that's the exception to the rule.

Beyond that, Monday is not as bad as it is made out to be on Three's Company.

Pete

ps: this was my attempt at humorously showing Kieth that his post was possibly off topic/posted in the wrong thread?.... If not, please feel free to educate me as to what FM Alchemist has to do with Haruhi Suzumiya :)

"NEW EPISODES WITH CONTINUING STORY!!" It was my way of saying I just watched Endless Eight-7.

I think the only way to get back at the people behind Endless Eight is to just write the same fan commentary over and over and over.

Therefore, I hereby announce that this post will be the only thing I write in this thread - over and over - until we actually see something "truly" new in Haruhi Suzumiya.

Pete