The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Hmm, out of curiosity, how novel accurate was the newest episode? For some reason that level of power display just didn't feel right to me.

I was watching Episode 00 again last night, and was wondering where they found blooming sakura that late in the year, but now I know :)

Ok - now I know too...

But dag - episode 23 was creepy. I mean...I will grant them that they certainly hit the nail on the head with the music track... but still.. And Haruhi...I guess I just got too comfortable with her being "normal" - and the thing is, insofar as the second episode of season 1 establishes her as alienated, isolated, and completely not fitting in - I guess after a bazillion episodes where she seemed to fit right in very nicely with the other members of the SOS brigade, this episode just reminds us how...wierd she is nevertheless...

And yeah..Kyon losing his head? Then again - as a calm person who periodically goes ape sh!t on the world...I kind of know what that's like. There's only so much a guy can take before loosing it.

Kudos to Koizumi. No matter how dumb Haruhi is, it would have been...not good to hit a girl. And not because she would have blown up the world...but just on principle... Although girls DO have a tendency of driving guys nutts sometimes...still...

Anyways - it was sweet how they made up.

And it's sweet how Haruhi so obviously loves Kyon :-) .... I wonder why? Is Kyon her secret inspiration? After all...despite his grumbling and complaining, it IS true that he also has a vibrant wonderful imagination...and he at least has some understanding of women...unlike that other guy...tatu-what's his name...

As for Tsurya The Laugher...for the longest time, I considered her to be a hyper high school kid... but now after watching Haruhi-chan, I wonder about her amazing powers... and kind of putting one and one together...she is Mikuru's "friend" ... is she also a time traveler? Or...something?...

Pete

Episode 23 was for me easily the best of both seasons. Great to see the dark side of Haruhi. With great power must come great responsibility, but what if you dare not aware of them and the world is still your playground? Amzing Sci-fi in the most mundane way, in just one episode TMHS manages to do what Star Trek never could with the Q. Making a credible threat yet being hilariously funny.

Edited by Bri

Episode 23 was for me easily the best of both seasons. Great to see the dark side of Haruhi. With great power must come great responsibility, but what if you dare not aware of them and the world is still your playground? Amzing Sci-fi in the most mundane way, in just one episode TMHS manages to do what Star Trek never could with the Q. Making a credible threat yet being hilariously funny.

True enough, Q, Charlie X, & V-Ger ain't got nuthin' on Haruhi.

Well, the episode where Q poofed a mariachi band into the bridge and started handing out cigars and women was very entertaining.

Also, you don't find it out until later, but Tsuruya has a much bigger part in all this than you may realize.

Basically, if you don't see it from these episodes, she's uber stinking rich. The mountain villa they're staying at in Snow Mountain Syndrome? Yeah, that's hers. More than that though.. her family is a serious supporter of Koizumi's organization (hence the setup in the villa with Koizumi's crew). She's working behind the scenes in more than one way here, and she plays it off so goofily you can never tell if she actually knows what's going on, or not.

One of the later stories has Asahina making a 1 week time jump into the past, making a duplicate of herself during that week. Kyon literally convinces Tsuruya that the future Asahina is Asahina's twin sister, Michuru (I think), and she agrees to let her stay at her place. Then there's the story about the treasure hunt, and what they find... Either tsuruya is truly clueless, or she knows far more than even we do.

Well, Haruhi-chan implies that Tsuruya has some kind of special powers... what I wonder is whether she is a time traveler, and esper...or something else...something we haven't seen yet.

Pete

She's the most powerful entity known to man, a irch heiriss :)

She's the most powerful entity known to man, a irch heiriss

Correction: a rich SEXY hieress...

Also - now...I used to think that this was just an anime convention, but Tsurya-chan has vampire fangs...which, like I wrote, is not uncommon as a convention (I think Ranka gets a couple shots with that too)... because they're not these vicious evil fangs.... just kind of cutsy pussy cat fangs...but...could she be a vampire?

Also - I just watched the "Homework episode" ... I missed it previously because there was this period of time where I would wait hours for an episode to download and...it would be Endless Eight!!! AGAIN!!!

So I have been thoroughly scared away from checking out episodes without extremely clear titles that without a doubt signify they are NOT Endless Eight... but of course the Homework episode was pretty crucial...

First - well... for the first time Asahina-san manages NOT to be sexy. I never liked babies (nothing personal)....well...no ...that sounds terrible. It's not that I hate babies - I just don't think they're cute like many moms/girls do. I understand that they are of course little human beings and sometimes they are fun - but when they're not fun, they're crapping, puking, drooling and screaming at the top of their lungs and there's absolutely no way to communicate rationally with them. I guess that on an instinctive level, a mother might be able to figure out "what's wrong" and calm the baby...and maybe even a dad would get the hang of it just by virtue of everyday exposure... but me...I never had any kids. And while I'm great with children (ages 5 and up), I totally don't know and wouldn't know what to do with an infant.

Well...Asahina-san was a total turn off in this episode because she was quite literarly TOO MUCH of a cry baby in that sobbing scene. Horrible :( She was still cute when she cried about losing the TPD-da back when they went 3 years into the past...but in this episode...there was just too much drooling going on.

Moving on - I thoroughly enjoyed the confrontation in the...er...Diner?...because they were in a western style diner right? Like a Denny's or something (man do I wish I could walk into a Dennys....damn...mmm...I'm hungry)... between Kyon and Haruhi. Very well done.

I'm kind of unclear about the reasoning behind why it was the homework...Haruhi wanted to help but she didn't know how to share?...So maybe she subconsciously did "what she could" by giving the Brigade the day off (ergo "helping" them by giving them one day to do homework?) .... Or maybe it was like - since Haruhi took up all their time making them entertain her during the summer...she sort of owed them help with their hoemwork?

Someone explain please because I was too busy fetishizing Haruhi's semi-high heels from that scene to catch the dialogue...

Pete

Pete

Haruhi, because of her inherent super genius, never had to have a group cram/study session, so it was a social event that was foreign to her. Hanging out with everyone in a relaxed, natural, and unforced setting was just the type of summer activity she craved for 500 YEARS AND 8 FREAKIN' EPISODES!

Mikuru is such a fun victim character. Wonder if Kyon realises that Mikuru is just as much of an object(be it to worship instead of abuse) to him as she is to Haruhi.

Second the motion to bring some Denny's across the Atlantic. Alternatively wont say no to a Ruby Tuesdays. I'd kill for a real Smokehouse burger and Buffalo wings...

Well, I need a lesson in courtesy from you guys because every time I see a new episode of anything I run like a kid in a candy shop to the internet to gush about it on MW :) ... thankfully, I'm usually the last person to see whatever it is that is being talked about, so by the time I unload with all the "spoilers" everybody's seen it anyways... I hope :)

Pete

85%...15 to go... That's one thing about this country...depending on where you are, your mobile internet works better or worse. When I'm in the city, it takes me about 1 minute to download something like this... but as soon as I go back to the farm...it's more like 1 day... grumble grumble :) Bad telecommunications infrastructure to match the crappy roads :)

at least the girls are hot (I have to keep telling myself that to stay sane :) )

Sorry for the double post, but I must share my impressions of Sighs V:

1. This episode confirms something I've only now begun to discover at the old age of 30: if you want a girl to fall in love with you and stay in love - lie to her so that she may be amused. If you ever tell her the truth - she'll walk out on you.

2. I still say that cat is made of a balloon.

Pete

Yeah well... on a more serious note...

I totally don't want to believe the line about Mikuru-chan just leading Kyon on and it all being an act. I mean, I guess it's possible... and it's kind of impossible for a guy to ever be sure with a girl like that because girls like that could be ... I dunno...jumping at you with a knife ...and it would still take a while before you threw a chair at them, only to discover it was too late anyways because she'd isolated the segment of space you were in and taken control of it...er... but...the point is...girls like that can be annoying and bad, but if they're cute, then even when they're annoying and bad they're still lovable...

Besides, Kyon is a cool headed guy. And also - when Asahina was giving him the "don't trust Koyzumi" line..Tsyurya-san was standing right behind her...almost as though she were there to "make sure" Kyon got the message...

In the end though, I guess Yuki put it best - Kyon can't trus any of the "truths" because all of the "truths" are just interpretations...It's ultimately a bit like religion or even philosophy as such. You really won't find any definitive 100% "truth" in any of the sides... you just have to follow your heart.

I wonder...was Kyon emboldened to tell Haruhi the truth because, seeing that the other members of SOS, who up to then he had considered "experts" on the matter, were actually powerless and he at least held sway over Haruhi?

In any event... now I'm starting to wonder that perhaps chronology is important because... am I to understand that Haruhi "knew" about the others in all the episodes following the culture festival?

And was the kiss really the final episode?

Does this story only cover one school year - or beyond?

And will Mikuru end up with Kyon in the future? What is the future she's defending? Is it worth defending? Or maybe she's out to change it into something better?

Personally, as I've said before, if I were Kyon, I'd totally want to be with Yuki...

But for some reason - he's stuck with Haruhi. Haruhi has a fine ass and a great imagination. But I guess I'm more predisposed to Yuki's temperment. She's quiet and unasuming, yet so amazingly intelligent and interesting (and beautiful). With Haruhi - it's only in retrospect that you know whether any one of her zanny ideas was interesting and fun or not. And more often than not, part of what makes her appealing is the SOS brigade itself - alone, she's not much fun... just eye candy really.... She needs stimulus to make her lively...

Yuki on the other hand is very polite, has great poise, makes tea, is straight to the point and takes seriously all suggestions about what to wear to please a guy (or what not to wear in Kyon's case)...

The one girl I can't find myself liking is Tsyuru.... mainly because of her amazingly long hair. I like long hair on a girl...in fact I prefer girls with long hair (so why do I like Yuki so much? Because she has a full hair-do. It's short, but it's very very full - alive...like something out of a shampoo commercial)... but Tsyuru's (I'm spelling that wrong) hair is...just...impossible :)

Although naturally I wouldn't complain if I ended up with a girl like that either :)

And finally...

I truly do wonder what the next eposide will be about now? We've covered summer vacation and the making of the Adventures of Asahina Mikuru...what's next?

Pete

Going from the narative they can be either agents of one of the factions who are involved in the war in the shadows as described by Koizumi or just innocent bystanders. They are a visual representation of the distrust Kyon now has for the other 3 SOS-dan members.

Clever way of showing why Kyon is now more foccused on Haruhi herself after the Movie. He can't fully trust the others and Haruhi is the only person he can be sure of that honestly likes him without ulterior motives.

Clever way of showing why Kyon is now more foccused on Haruhi herself after the Movie. He can't fully trust the others and Haruhi is the only person he can be sure of that honestly likes him without ulterior motives.

Well - with one exception: he can still trust Yuki.

Just because Yuki said "you can't trust me" doesn't mean Kyon can't trust her. In fact, Yuki was the only one of the three to bring her OWN version into doubt. Koizumi just bad mouthed Asahina-san, and Asahina-San badmouthed Koizumi. But Yuki pretty much bad mouthed herself because she realizes that what all of them are fighting over is ultimately an interpretation. The battle is driven by fear and anxiety more than knowledge or even faith. Koizumi's faction does not fight for its' point of view out of reverence for the Haruhi-God, but out of fear that the Haruhi-God could destroy them if she were so disposed. Asahina-san and the Data Entity are the same. The difference is that Yuki seems self-conscious about what motivates her masters - and her motives are not clouded by emotions (like fear). This in turn allows her to be frank with Kyon - telling him that her motives are also not to be trusted.

Besides - remember that movie/shmovie, but it was Asahina-san who gave Kyon the advise he needed to save the universe (snow white). And Koizumi and Yuki also did their parts.

But getting back to the point - while I understand Kyon trusting Asahina and Koizumi less - I think it would be impossible for him to trust Yuki less. Yuki saved his life and is quite adamently willing to risk herself for him. Sure, she says it's because her job is only observation and that Haruhi would be disturbed if anything were to happen to Kyon...

but we all know it's actually because she loves him :)

Pete

More Importantly, just who the hell finished editing & put in the special effects? My guess, a little bit more of Haruhi's influence. Just as she wanted the pidgeons, Sakura blossoms, & talking cat (omg the best thing ever, especially now that it's been shown in depth), I think she also "willed" Kyon (regardless of being asleep) to edit the film to her liking.

This (Sigh V) should be the last episode of the new season. Heard some rumours they might add in some scenes in the next episodes to set up the next arc/season.

Nagaru Tanigawa is in the proces of readying the 10th light novel of Haruhi according to Sankaku who have publised an announcement of The Sneaker on their site.

This is likely the last in the season, unless they adapt one of the smaller later stories that took place after the festival. There are a couple of stories that fit in between the first season and Disappearance, so we still may see more.. or maybe, we'll see something like Someday in the Rain again. Personally, I kinda want to see story where the new class president forces the SOS brigade to do the Literature Club's newsletter. ^_^ That's a bit later though, and I dunno how far.

Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to see stuff about what they changed ^_^

As for her knowing about who the others are.. well, this episode.. actually, the entire Sighs arc.. did one thing VERY differently from the books. The scene at the end where Kyon explains who everyone is? In the novel, that's the prologue for Sighs, before the movie even gets started. That particular scene is actually a serious continuity tool, and was supposed to tie the original "Melancholy" arc, directly to this.

In the final aired episode of the first season, right after the nightmare/kiss, kyon meets up with Haruhi to do another mystery patrol, and they're the only ones who show up. The last line of the episode is Kyon saying he's gonna tell her all about aliens, time travelers, and espers.

The prologue of the Sighs novel is right after that. The scene isn't changed any, she still basically tells him not to feed her such BS. But in the book, you get the connection that maybe even if she didn't believe a word of it, it might make for a fun movie.

With this episode, it becomes a bit more unbelieveable actually.. as in, Haruhi made this movie with not even so much as a HINT of what the other three characters really are. Sure, it could probably happen.. but I always liked the idea of Haruhi using Kyon's ideas for the movie just to show him how ridiculous the ideas were. Kind of a "see? this is what you get for coming up with such crazy ideas" moment.

Super double secret spoiler alert within a spoiler:

Anyway, about the factions.. I dunno how many of you have read all the novels. Things get ugly fast after Disappearance. Personally, I think my favorite story arc might be the one where Asahina takes a week time jump into the past.. the timeline and events of that story alone are enough to make your head spin, and the way things work out is EPIC. It's one of those stories where you know what's going to happen, but you don't realize that you know, or how long you've known, until it happens. The other factions make their first real appearance here I think... and.. well, they really don't play nice.

That said... things among the factions get very interesting, especially as they relate to Kyon. By the end of Disappearance, Kyon already has a choke hold on the Integrated Thought Entity, with Yuki as his ultimate trump card to play (or maybe it's Haruhi? I dunno if Yuki kept her abilities at the end of that story, but as she said, what happened could definitely happen again). As things go, the other SOS members begin to open up more to Kyon, and while they still have their allegiances, they seem to agree that Kyon's opinion takes priority over any of their individual factions' opinions.

As things turn ugly, it becomes apparent that the opposing factions to Yuki, Asahina, and Koizumi are all working together. Whether the "good guys" will do the same is undecided I think.

What continues to boggle my mind about this story.... why Kyon? He's the ONLY normal person involved in all this, on BOTH sides of the conflict. While the opposing faction has counterparts for Haruhi, Asahina, Koizumi, and Yuki, they have no Kyon. Or.. rather... This may be a huge spoiler... but the opposing counterpart to Haruhi? Shes also a girl Kyon knew, and nearly Haruhi's opposite in every way. She was one who directly argued against Kyon's unrealistic side, the exact opposite of Haruhi. Whether they state it outright or not, Kyon really is the exact center of this.

What that means though.. we don't know. The novels get cut off abruptly, and there really is no ending at all. You can tell they start introducing a slider character (or a split universe scenario, one of the two I would think), but it never goes anywhere. :(

Ok, that's enough spoilers for one night... maybe a whole week. :lol:

My recommendation.. if you haven't read all the novels, do so. It will probably spoil things yes, but I think it's worth it. There's just so much untapped material in the later stories, I dunno how they're gonna do it.. if they do it at all.

At this point, the series is really back to where it ended the first time.. all the new episodes took place within the original first season timeline.

I still haven't given up on Disappearance yet though.. all the teaser art we saw for so long before this spring is specifically for Disappearance. All the hype, all the publicity, was focused on that story. If they don't do it now, I dunno if they ever will.

This (Sigh V) should be the last episode of the new season. Heard some rumours they might add in some scenes in the next episodes to set up the next arc/season.

Nagaru Tanigawa is in the proces of readying the 10th light novel of Haruhi according to Sankaku who have publised an announcement of The Sneaker on their site.

*dies*

Ok, ignore what I said about the story ending abruptly. I cannot WAIT to read whatever comes out next...

So, now the question is this... would it be faster to wait for a translation of the upcoming Vol 10, or just learn Japanese myself?

• 2 weeks later...

The Japanese DVD's will have english subs ^_^ Just ordered the first and second Limited Edition.

Hope this will be done more, can think of some particular anime with transforming mecha that could benefit from this...

3 episodes per for 8 episodes of the same episode at R2 prices are still a bit much. I'm hoping BE announces it soon, as I'll definately go for a domestic release. Although whoever releases everything up to now on BR first wins!

Sadly, I can't find it in me to give a crap. I still haven't watched Sighs, or End of Eight.

As for the DVDs... 2 disks of Endless F'ing Eight.

And more than likely, I'd have to RE-buy the old episodes too.

I just don't care anymore.

Congratulations, Kyoto Animation. You trolled us masterfully. I hope you achieved everything you wanted with this run.

The first disk of Endless eight is doing well in the sales so I'm sure the series will survive this.

Even if you don't like E8, there is still new content. Sighs especially can hold it's own against the best of season 1. As an extention of season 1 I'm very happy with the new episodes. Only Haruhi can drive fans this insane I guess. A backlash by the fanbase going emo over E8 could have put a third season at risk, which would be a shame as the disapearance arc is described by the readers as the best in the series.

You know.... I think there is a right time to give a crap and a wrong time.

I mean - as soon as I noticed that episode after episode was just Endless Eight all over again...guess what I did?

I didn't watch Endless Eight over and over. I went and did something else.

Then when I heard that a couple of episodes came out "solving" the problem - I went and watched those.

Yay.

Happy me.

Then I watched Sighs.

All of the episodes in the second season were great.

I don't understand why people would sit through endless episodes of Endless Eight...unless maybe they were the types who didn't want to be 'spoiled' so didn't read "spoiler threads" and had to "see for themselves" and even when 20 seconds into the episode it was obviously the same thing over again...they still held out because "maybe at the end something is significantly different."

Not trying to criticize people's watching habits, mind you - but I just find it amazing that the producers got away with it because in the age of the internet when people can just click instantely on something else when what is presently before them isn't satisfacttory... it's almost as though lots of Suzumiya fans are masochists...

"I HATE THIS! BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP WATCHING IT!" :)

Granted..I understand they were waiting for some alteration, some nifty change, some surprise.....

So it could have gone both ways...

Oh well.

Pete