The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

See, if you'd gone for the R1 Special edition DVD's instead of the polish one's, you'd already HAVE pillow covers!

NOW you tell me :lol:

Okay, I've decided to see what all the fuss is about. I got the first season and am going to start watching this tonight.

Post what you think!

Pete

Okay, I've decided to see what all the fuss is about. I got the first season and am going to start watching this tonight.

Hey!! It's been like - 24 hours or something and STILL not a word of praise from you about the great SOS-Brigade!! What's up with that?! :lol:

Pete

The Haruhi movie is doing very well at the box office, given the small number of cinema's showing it. Performace in the opening weekend was a bit better then the very succesfull Frontier Movie.

Haruhi disappearance

Average 3,700,000 yen per screen

Total 24 screens

60,306 watched

Total 89,010,100 yen

Average 1,476 yen per person

Macross F movie

Average 2,940,000 yen per screen

Total 30 screens

——- watched

Total 88,154,771 yen

Average 1,436 yen per person

though it can only compare to the results of mainstream anime, Disneys or Evangelion by looking at revenue per screen. For example:

Doraemon movie 2009

Average 1,020,000 yen per screen

Total 364 screens

335,738 watched

Total 372,918,850 yen

Average 1,110 yen per person

Up

Average 960,000 yen per screen

Total 653 screens

440,804 watched

Total 627,726,600 yen

Average 1,424 yen per person

Evangelion 2.0

Average 4,270,000 yen per screen

Total 120 screens

354,852 watched

Total 512,182,000 yen

Average 1,443 yen per person

(source: eigaconsultant)

The new Haruhi movie is out!? I MUST see it! I hope that the DVD will have english subs like the season II set...

oh...

by the way...

Bri - can you show me a picture of what the season 2 set you talked about, the Japanese one, with the english subs, LOOKS like? There's a ton of boxes and my supplier isn't really into Moe anime and has no clue what it looks like in Japan...and neither do I :)

Pete

Hey!! It's been like - 24 hours or something and STILL not a word of praise from you about the great SOS-Brigade!! What's up with that?! :lol:

Pete

Meant to start last night, then fell asleep. Was going to do it again, but got caught up with something else. I may have to postpone the series viewing until things slow down at work. I'm a heating and air conditioning mechanic by trade and with the way the weather has been lately here in the central eastern United States what with blizzards and all which we do not usually get, I have been a very busy beaver at work. Lots of overtime which leaves me feeling exhausted. I will get a post to you guys eventually, so don't fret.

Pete

I've just shown my brother the first five episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya and he's still interested. This is some praise, since my brother is one of those old dyed in the wool cynics that says that anime reached it's peak with Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, and basically refuses to see any anime made in the 21st century.

So this either speaks highly to the quality of HS or maybe he is just enthralled by the sight of Asahina-san in a maid outfit. :)

Hm....heating and air conditioning mechanic...hmmm....."blizzards"....hmm...."the weather" you say?

Maybe you are really writing from Honduras, no??

Pete

Super Detective

EDIT: Re Marzan/Mikuru Maid: I personally never found her very appealing in the maid outfit. School girl our Combat Waitress all the way!

Edited by VFTF1

Well, just finished watching all 14 episodes and am now withdrawing. I want more. I guess I'm gonna have to hit the torrent sites.

I don't know whether I should warn you about the second season or not, so I'll just say stick with it, for awesomeness prevails.

Noriko - before you watch season two - watch what Hitler had to say about it!

And remember - as Keith says - just stick with it...

Or...

do what I did and be stupid!

I thought I was stupidly downloading the same episode over and over - even though I swore to God that I was downloading a new one...so I stopped...waited a reeeally long time - and finally downloaded the new one! :lol:

I wore by Danchou armband all day today! I swear everybody who sees it thinks I'm a Neo-Nazi and always walk up looking like they're gonna slug me...and then they notice that there's no swaztika - just something in Japanese... and then they go back to their pacific ways :)

Naturally I had my SOS-Dan t-shirt on too!!

You know, I actually own this movie on DVD. It's called Downfall and is actually pretty damned good. But then again, I'm a military history nut particularly with anything regarding World War 2. Slightly off topic I know, but I figured I share that.

Whoever did this video is a genius!! Funny as hell!

I have not seen the 2nd season of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I have read the Endless Eight story so I more or less can guess what they've done in the anime. And I have to say, wow, what a bold and gutsy decision to animate that particular story...I'm looking even more forward to it now.

I always found the hysteria in this thread amusing when Endless Eight was running :) Just gotta go back a few pages to find it :lol:

And yes - it was IMO gutsy and I think that probably foriegn fans who had to download were more hysterical than Japanese. It's much harder to appreciate the artistic merits of Endless Eight when you've spent hours torrenting or Flashgetting an episode only to find out that it's EXACTLY THE SAME EPISODE AS BEFORE...

Much easier to be philosophic about it if all you have to do is turn on the television...

Pete

I always found the hysteria in this thread amusing when Endless Eight was running :) Just gotta go back a few pages to find it :lol:

And yes - it was IMO gutsy and I think that probably foriegn fans who had to download were more hysterical than Japanese. It's much harder to appreciate the artistic merits of Endless Eight when you've spent hours torrenting or Flashgetting an episode only to find out that it's EXACTLY THE SAME EPISODE AS BEFORE...

Much easier to be philosophic about it if all you have to do is turn on the television...

Pete

So what have we got here? A recursive time loop or something like that? Each episode is the same, but are there any subtle differences to it? Or are you gonna make me suffer throught it like you did? No matter; I'll still watch it.

The "solution" will make clear why they have been endlessly looping, it's very well thought out. Endless eight was one of the most gutsy moves in anime history. I loved it. Not to mention it's more controversial then the NGE ending. The fanrage was off the charts during the airings.

Note that the "trauma" done is the most important feature of E8, so yes there is a reason for this "torture".

Edited by Bri

The thing is - I think it's impossible to replicate the rage now that everybody "knows" ... I mean - part of the rage was the you at least expected that maybe each episode would have some kind of minor variation....some easter egg...some subtle difference...also, people didn't believe they'd do 8 whole repeats.... they'd sit down to an ep/download and have an expectation for ANYTHING or than another repeat...and they'd get a repeat...

Replicating that rage now would be nigh impossible...IMO.

Pete

Oh... this I did not know :) This makes it sound fascinating! :) I need to get season 2 and watch all 8 Endless Eights in that case!

In other news - I just got pulled over by cops who searched my car and asked me probing questions about my Dan-Chou armband and my SOS-Dan t-shirt....

They fear us!! ;)

Pete

Oh... this I did not know :) This makes it sound fascinating! :) I need to get season 2 and watch all 8 Endless Eights in that case!

In other news - I just got pulled over by cops who searched my car and asked me probing questions about my Dan-Chou armband and my SOS-Dan t-shirt....

They fear us!! ;)

Pete

I'd love to hear what the Polish police though of your explanations pertaining the above said material!

I'd love to hear what the Polish police though of your explanations pertaining the above said material!

I'm sure they're still piecing it together, since I told them I wouldn't talk to them and refused to open my trunk until I called a lawyer who told me that, unfortunately, they apparently have the right to search my car at will...

When the guy asked me about my Dan-Chou arm band and why I wear it, I pointed to his badge and said "why do you wear that?"

This is my second time getting pulled over by cops... somehow given my attitude - I doubt it's my last :lol:

But - yeah... the Arm Band has gotten me some stares. I think it's just because it's a red armband with something in black on it - and so I'm sure that sub-consciously people think I'm a Nazi wearing a Nazi armband...then they see the Japanese and feel kind of cheated out of their righteous rage which must therefore subside... so the next thing that comes to mind is "maybe it's some radical terrorist symbol" - I'm sure. Or maybe it says "Heil Hitler in Japanese?" ...

I find it stupid mainly because if you look around at how people dress in these modern times, T-shirts say the craziest things on them - often erotic/sexual content or profanities or vaguely "counter culture" rebellious...

But most of these symbols are well known in the popular mind - therefore, they are no longer truly rebellious or sub-versive and they don't raise eyebrows...

But the Haruhi armband -- that gets stares and looks because it's so out of the ordinary and it's RED! and vivid red always gets looks....

Oh well. Whatever...I got ticketed (again) - not for speeding this time, but for driving without my headlights on... apparently they're busted...or maybe not...I'm still in the process of figuring it out...

They also wanted to ticket me for not having a fire extinguisher -- but after tossing around all the crap I have in my trunk (rotting murder victims, sacks of cocaine, latest 12 year old boy that I was taking home to rape and canibalize - that kind of stuff), I finally found the bloody fire extinguisher and saved myself from being fined for not having one :)

Thank God they didn't ask me to OPEN the first aid kit ... all my heroine is stashed there!

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

When the guy asked me about my Dan-Chou arm band and why I wear it, I pointed to his badge and said "why do you wear that?"

Pete

LOL :D

I'm sure the police officers are now commenting with their colleagues about "the weird guy with the red armband" they pulled over yesterday.

On a more serious note, it's a bit depressing that the police can search one's car at will like that. I wonder what the Brigade leader would have to say about that?