The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

There has been no mention of English subtitles yet, but Amazon.jp has an exclusive steelbox edition of Disappearance up for pre-order if anyone's interested.

CD Japan says it doesn't have subtitles, and the other Japanese websites I googled using the product code (KAXA-2101) don't mention subtitles one way or the other :( I was hoping that Bandai would release the North American version this fall, in time for the novel's release. Oh well, at least we'll have non-cam-rip fansubs waiting for us by the end of the year :)

CD Japan says it doesn't have subtitles, and the other Japanese websites I googled using the product code (KAXA-2101) don't mention subtitles one way or the other sad.gif I was hoping that Bandai would release the North American version this fall, in time for the novel's release. Oh well, at least we'll have non-cam-rip fansubs waiting for us by the end of the year smile.gif

To be fair, CDJapan still doesn't list subtitles on the TV set, and that's been comfirmed. I think it's just too early for solid info on the specs.

• 3 months later...

as i stated somewhere he on MW in the past, i've never seen this Anime past Ep.1.

while i'm heavily considering getting the complete collections, i'm honestly not

so sure that the series' alleged "Zaniness" would appeal all that much to me.

still, i'm finding myself ever more compelled to give the series a shot, all on the strength

of one darling sweet little lady;

DSC_2686.jpg

yes, i ♥Love♥ Miss Mikuru Asahina!! i haven't really seen her series at all, but nevertheless,

the moment i had first seen her, back around the series' debut, 2005/2006ish, probably in an issue of NEWTYPE USA (R.I.P.)

it was an undeniable Love♥ at first sight.

several years on, i finally get an internet connection (*Embarrassing*) and go looking for the Mikuru Figma,

and happen instead across the MegaHouse Mikuru doll that i now have.

oh, my GOD!! i HAD to have her♥ she was everything i had truly wanted, but had ended up settling on the Figma for,

not realizing that a doll of her had even existed! when i got her, i was taken to heaven above. still i had one little problem;

:ph34r: her GINORMOUS melons!! :ph34r:

:blink: i must be the only man on earth that actually DISLIKES "Z" cups on a woman, god save my soul... :blink:

i found, however, that Mikuru's body was made by OBITSU corp. and that they made stock doll bodies for hobbyists.

i was elated to find and order a body with smaller, "M" size breasts in Mikuru's skin tone.

the results are shown above.

as a long time doll hobbyist, i found that Mikuru's lingerie wasn't quite as "finished" as i thought it should be,

so i added lace trim to the bra and panties, as well as made her a pair of frilly socks and a coordinated garter.

all of which can also be seen in the above photos.

i ♥Love♥ my precious little princess, and i'm planning to make several outfits for her, starting with a japanese

elementary schoolgirl uniform (white red and dark royal blue) a wedding dress, and possibly also a copy of

Lynn Minmay's concert costume seen at the climax of MACROSS; D.Y.R.L.

at any rate, i'll be rather busy... ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

at least we'll have non-cam-rip fansubs waiting for us by the end of the year

I hope so. I have been trying to ignore and forget that Dissapearance came out so as not to get very sad at not being able to see it. But it will be a real joy!

Pete

Santa with a little help from Amazon was so kind as to drop off the new Japanese version of the Haruhi Suzumiya BR box at my doorstep. It's nice upgrade over the already lovely up-scale from the DVDs. It comes complete with subs and dub.

Santa with a little help from Amazon was so kind as to drop off the new Japanese version of the Haruhi Suzumiya BR box at my doorstep. It's nice upgrade over the already lovely up-scale from the DVDs. It comes complete with subs and dub.

Actually just finished watching mine last night, and it's quite the awesome set. Which reminds me, Bandai Entertainment botched the Haruhi S2 DVD's & their first half of Haruhi chan /Nyoron Churuya san disc's. The Japanese audio actually mono.

Actually just finished watching mine last night, and it's quite the awesome set. Which reminds me, Bandai Entertainment botched the Haruhi S2 DVD's & their first half of Haruhi chan /Nyoron Churuya san disc's. The Japanese audio actually mono.

Doh! I ordered the S2 set last week, when they had it for $32 for their Cyber Monday sale. I guess since I bought for half the regular price, I get only half of the stereo channels :(

• 2 weeks later...

What's the status on Dissapearance?

I downloaded the Mazui camrip - only saw literally the first few seconds and am not looking forward to having to watch this movie in tilted-screen mode.

Will this DVD be available in Europe so I can at least hope to get it via amazon.uk ? And when?

Pete

What's the status on Dissapearance?

I downloaded the Mazui camrip - only saw literally the first few seconds and am not looking forward to having to watch this movie in tilted-screen mode.

Will this DVD be available in Europe so I can at least hope to get it via amazon.uk ? And when?

Pete

As far as I've heard, Manga Entertainment is got the license in the UK and will be releasing it in the summer of 2011. It's being released in the States in the spring.

I'd hear the rumour that the japanese blu ray would have subtitles in english, but I checked CD Japan and it seems that information was false. But a quality fansub should be available soon if you don't want to wait till the summer.

I'd hear the rumour that the japanese blu ray would have subtitles in english, but I checked CD Japan and it seems that information was false. But a quality fansub should be available soon if you don't want to wait till the summer.

I received my steelbook from amazon.co.jp today, and can confirm it's Japanese-only 5.1 PCM, no subtitles in any language.

So I watch my copy of Disappearance last night (regular LE, liked the art better), and O M G ! Yeah it was raw, and yeah I've read halfway through the novel in one day to catch up on various dialogue subtleties that my years of anime watching minute knowledge of the Japanese language can't help me with, but damn that movie was epic.

Sure we all know Asakura was going to shank Kyon, but to actually see it happen still left my jaw on the floor.

This movie was 100% worth the hype.

Edited by Keith

Ditto there. Watched the movie with my brother, and while he's not the bigger Haruhi fan, he really, really enjoyed it--Enjoyed it enough to actually want to go back and rewatch the series this time. :rolleyes:

The movie had alot of "Just wow..." moments puncturedpunctuated by "Yes!" moments. Felt really fuzzy hearing Kyon's snarky narration again.

Alright, finished the novel, and now I'm super ready for spoiler talk

Warning, do not read if you have not seen/read/already heard about everything that happens in Disappearance.

This movie was a serious rollercoaster. I've spent the last few hours going back & fourth reconciling everything I just watched & read (well, doing other things too, but this story has seriously been weighng on me in the background all day). My main focus has been Yuki's motivations for everything she did. Initially I wanted to believe that the erronoious data that led to the "bug" was somehow Asakura's influence tainting Yuki after their initial battle. But the more I think about it, the less that seems to be the case. It really does seem to come down to a combination of tiredness & jealousy.

If anything, Disappearance fully jusitfies the E8 decision in my eyes. Yes, now I do believe it was necessary to repeat the same episode 8 times in a row, and even stretch the timeframe of events way past the novel version, just to pound home the wear & tear it put on Yuki. The fact that she stayed home the first day of school resonates very powerfully now. She wasn't just tired, she was really freakikn' tired. Yes she came back, but even Kyon & Koizumi noticed she wasn't quite the same, no matter how hard she tried to hide it. What really stands out is the scene during Sigh, where Kyon goes to speak with Yuki after Mikuru & Koizumi cast suspicion on each other. Aside from pointing out the obvious to Kyon, Yuki also stresses that despite his almost blind trust in her, he really shouldn't trust her either since he know's just as little about her, and can't prove anything she says either. Initially what sounds like logical sound advice, takes on a much colder ring.

And following a very tired, slightly jealous line of logic, it makes sense that Yuki seeing Kyon's usual groaning nature at Haruhi's antics, that she'd take an opportunity to take away both of their troubles. And yet, she set's everything up in such a way as to give Kyon not just a choice between crazyness and mundane, but literally between Haruhi & Yuki. If she merely wanted to relieve all of her troubles, there'd be no reason to leave Kyon with his memories, let alone an escape/reset program. Everything she set up was in such a way that she gave Kyon the option of living out a life together with her. Asakura was put right smack behind him in order to scare Kyon back into safety, i.e. Yuki. Haruhi was not only completely moved off campus, but with suedo boyfriend Koizumi, seemingly to make it easier to drag them both back as the keys, but more subtley to make Kyon think twice abotu persuing Haruhi. And most notably, Yuki left herself with a version of Kyon taking he to the library to get her library card, a memory she knew she'd cherish & trust. Also of note, she left Shamisen with Kyon. While yes having a cat in the movie was Haruhi's idea, I can't help but wonder if Yuki directing them to the cats near her building was a coincidence. Put into this light, Shamisen seems to be somewhat of an indirect gift.

When you look at the extremes she went through, not only stealing Haruhi's powers & taking out the time travlers & espers, but whiping out the Data Overmind entity deally, it puts that quite softspoker little girl into a very scary light. Like Mikuru, she knew Haruhi could potentially destroy/remake the universe if anyone tried to take Kyon away from her. Unlike Mikuru, she wasn't content with just sitting back and walking pushing Kyon towards Haruhi. Comparing her actions with the actions of Ryoko, it makes you wonder whatever badass things those aliens have done in the past to make both Mikuru & Koizumi's people so scared of them. I get the impression that its their SOP to violently remove any obstacles to their goals, Yuki's actiosn obviously being at the most extreme side of that spectrum.

And like I said, while I initially wanted to just put the blame somehow on Asakura, the more I look at things, I really can't. Even nearly killing Kyon appears to be a final jealous strike from Yuki. Afterall, who put Asakura outside of the school with a hugeass knife set to protection mode at the exact time the reset program that she (Yuki) designed could be initiated? The alternate Asakura literally told Kyon everything in the elevator, basically "you better be careful with Yuki's feelings, or I WILL f^ck you up." And be it 2 days before that conversaion, that's exactly what Asakura did. Kyon's rejection that world was a rejection of Yuki, and she responded in kind.

Now we know a more sensable (?) slightly more future Yuki subdued Ryoko from striking that final blow. And obviously no one could have healed Kyon's wounds but Yuki. But did she accept things because of the repair program? Or because Kyon reached out to her afterwards at the hospitol (and thankfully he made his point quite clear, if they try and take Yuki away, he'll sick Haruhi on the whole galaxy!). That if anything I believe is what calmed Yuki's wrath.

But damn, I can't wait to find out what happens next. The stakes in this story keep getting bigger and bigger.

Spoiler's for things that may come in the story after.

I recall someonme here who read translations of all of the novels up to a year ago talking about a parallel SOS dan lead by a girl from Kyon's middle school, and I can't wait to find out how all of that factors in. Will we be taken back once more to 3 years ago to find out the true origin of Haruhi's power? What will be the true reason for returning to December 18th to save Kyon's life, and just what happens to Asakura after Yuki drags her away? Does anyone know how much of this is covered in Rampage (book due out translated her around April I think)

What Evangelion did for the mecha genre, Haruhi is doing for the Harem comedy genre. Truly epic.

Edited by Keith

Alright, finished the novel, and now I'm super ready for spoiler talk

Warning, do not read if you have not seen/read/already heard about everything that happens in Disappearance.

This movie was a serious rollercoaster. I've spent the last few hours going back & fourth reconciling everything I just watched & read (well, doing other things too, but this story has seriously been weighng on me in the background all day). My main focus has been Yuki's motivations for everything she did. Initially I wanted to believe that the erronoious data that led to the "bug" was somehow Asakura's influence tainting Yuki after their initial battle. But the more I think about it, the less that seems to be the case. It really does seem to come down to a combination of tiredness & jealousy.

If anything, Disappearance fully jusitfies the E8 decision in my eyes. Yes, now I do believe it was necessary to repeat the same episode 8 times in a row, and even stretch the timeframe of events way past the novel version, just to pound home the wear & tear it put on Yuki. The fact that she stayed home the first day of school resonates very powerfully now. She wasn't just tired, she was really freakikn' tired. Yes she came back, but even Kyon & Koizumi noticed she wasn't quite the same, no matter how hard she tried to hide it. What really stands out is the scene during Sigh, where Kyon goes to speak with Yuki after Mikuru & Koizumi cast suspicion on each other. Aside from pointing out the obvious to Kyon, Yuki also stresses that despite his almost blind trust in her, he really shouldn't trust her either since he knows just as little about her, and can't prove anything she says either. Initially what sounds like logical sound advice, takes on a much colder ring.

And following a very tired, slightly jealous line of logic, it makes sense that Yuki seeing Kyon's usual groaning nature at Haruhi's antics, that she'd take an opportunity to take away both of their troubles. And yet, she set's everything up in such a way as to give Kyon not just a choice between crazyness and mundane, but literally between Haruhi & Yuki. If she merely wanted to relieve all of her troubles, there'd be no reason to leave Kyon with his memories, let alone an escape/reset program. Everything she set up was in such a way that she gave Kyon the option of living out a life together with her. Asakura was put right smack behind him in order to scare Kyon back into safety, i.e. Yuki. Haruhi was not only completely moved off campus, but with suedo boyfriend Koizumi, seemingly to make it easier to drag them both back as the keys, but more subtley to make Kyon think twice abotu persuing Haruhi. And most notably, Yuki left herself with a version of Kyon taking he to the library to get her library card, a memory she knew she'd cherish & trust. Also of note, she left Shamisen with Kyon. While yes having a cat in the movie was Haruhi's idea, I can't help but wonder if Yuki directing them to the cats near her building was a coincidence. Put into this light, Shamisen seems to be somewhat of an indirect gift.

When you look at the extremes she went through, not only stealing Haruhi's powers & taking out the time travlers & espers, but whiping out the Data Overmind entity deally, it puts that quite softspoker little girl into a very scary light. Like Mikuru, she knew Haruhi could potentially destroy/remake the universe if anyone tried to take Kyon away from her. Unlike Mikuru, she wasn't content with just sitting back and walking pushing Kyon towards Haruhi. Comparing her actions with the actions of Ryoko, it makes you wonder whatever badass things those aliens have done in the past to make both Mikuru & Koizumi's people so scared of them. I get the impression that its their SOP to violently remove any obstacles to their goals, Yuki's actiosn obviously being at the most extreme side of that spectrum.

And like I said, while I initially wanted to just put the blame somehow on Asakura, the more I look at things, I really can't. Even nearly killing Kyon appears to be a final jealous strike from Yuki. Afterall, who put Asakura outside of the school with a hugeass knife set to protection mode at the exact time the reset program that she (Yuki) designed could be initiated? The alternate Asakura literally told Kyon everything in the elevator, basically "you better be careful with Yuki's feelings, or I WILL f^ck you up." And be it 2 days before that conversaion, that's exactly what Asakura did. Kyon's rejection that world was a rejection of Yuki, and she responded in kind.

Now we know a more sensable (?) slightly more future Yuki subdued Ryoko from striking that final blow. And obviously no one could have healed Kyon's wounds but Yuki. But did she accept things because of the repair program? Or because Kyon reached out to her afterwards at the hospitol (and thankfully he made his point quite clear, if they try and take Yuki away, he'll sick Haruhi on the whole galaxy!). That if anything I believe is what calmed Yuki's wrath.

Likewise the movie has been on my mind lately.

I don't think Yuki intended Kyon to choose between herself and Haruhi as much as Yuki needed to test how much she could rely on him. Maybe also to see if it makes a difference to Kyon whether she is a stoic alien or a human who can show and act on emotions. Thanks to E8 Yuki had already spend hundreds of years with the SOS-dan. She's tired and worried who will save her when she will make an inevitable mistake given Kyon's total reliance on her as his final resort. (A nice touch in E8 is that Kyon attempts to talk to Yuki during every cycle asking her if she is okay and each and every time the conversation breaks down as Yuki can't respond due to the rules of her assignment and inability to express emotion). I'm sure this inability to communicate her feelings left Yuki angry at the Data Integration Thought Entity for providing her with such an emotionally limited human interface in comparison to Ryoko. Perhaps the trigger for Yuki snapping.

Yuki intended for Kyon to use the escape program so he would end up in the position with the gun where he is fully aware of the consequences of his choice and immune to any memory manipulation. To illustrate, Haruhi had already created the SOS-dan in the changed world. Meaning Kyon could have had his friends around him in a safe world while he and Yuki would be released from the responsibility of having to deal with Haruhi's fall out. As Haruhi is pretty much the same person in both worlds and genuinely interested in Kyon, it takes Kyon's feelings for her out of the choice equation. The choice comes down to "normal and safe" or "interesting but dangerous" in regard to both the world and Yuki.

Ryoko's knife attack shows that Yuki's subconscious motive was self-preservation. Ryoko imo was a fail-safe in case Kyon would want to change the world back out of purely selfish reasons (namely he the attention and importance being the one who can influence Haruhi) without accepting responsibility or showing consideration for the toll this world take on Yuki. If Kyon had not grown as a person he would have been dead. The scene with Yuki and Kyon on the roof shows that Kyon now finally had realised his own potential and is now able to protect Yuki when she needs him. (I can see a being like Yuki be more impressed by a man that threatens to tear up the universe should someone try to take her away rather then a love confession by a high school kid). What's also important is that future Kyon does not prevent the knife attack as it allows the 18th December (at that moment still human/powerless) Yuki to learn why she changed the world so the future Yuki would go and have the talk with Kyon on the roof and his subsequent rescue.

I'm note quite sure about the time travellers faction's role in events. Did they just complete a major coup against the other factions? They facilitated the creation of "John Smith" which not only caused Haruhi going to North High to meet Kyon but after the events of Disappearance also gives him direct access to her powers. Kyon can now shield Yuki from disciplinary action from the Data entity, essentially cutting lose the Data Integration Thought Entity's main agent.

I wonder did Mikuru and future Mikuru meet at the knife scene, or was that just Kyon's delirium?

Edited by Bri

I'm note quite sure about the time travellers faction's role in events. Did they just complete a major coup against the other factions? They facilitated the creation of "John Smith" which not only caused Haruhi going to North High to meet Kyon but after the events of Disappearance also gives him direct access to her powers. Kyon can now shield Yuki from disciplinary action from the Data entity, essentially cutting lose the Data Integration Thought Entity's main agent.

I wonder did Mikuru and future Mikuru meet at the knife scene, or was that just Kyon's delirium?

I believe that John Smith is a vital thing for some future event, that Kyon has to "control" or influence Haruhi into doing something.

As for 2x mikuru scene, it was because teenage mikuru had to bring back Kyon to the past 3 years ago to finish what he started....to inject Yuki with the recovery program. Which was kinda strange since shouldn't the two mikurus meet since it might cause some paradox effect? Adult mikuru had to put her younger self to sleep when she met up with Kyon just awhile ago.

Overall saw the movie and loved it. I couldn't finish season 2 due to E8 and got abit burned. Boy do i know how Yuki feels. Overall very nice movie. Makes me feel bad for Yuki though since i'm rooting for her to get Kyon but I guess that will never happen. :(

No one said it would cause a time paradox (that's back to the future), it just seemed more of an issue that Mikuru not know who was pulling her strings so to speak. But the specific circumstances

Where slightly future/present Kyon, Mikuru & Yuki travel back to December 18th are still unknown. Regardless, future Mikuru already knew that Kyon's life needed to be saved, and that she'd run into her past(present) self.

Edited by Keith

No one said it would cause a time paradox (that's back to the future), it just seemed more of an issue that Mikuru not know who was pulling her strings so to speak. But the specific circumstances

Where slightly future/present Kyon, Mikuru & Yuki travel back to December 18th are still unknown. Regardless, future Mikuru already knew that Kyon's life needed to be saved, and that she'd run into her past(present) self.

It would seem that they go to the trouble to hide their presence from their past selves so they don't mess with "pre-destiny" or whatever since it never happened to them before. Else space-time-continuum would be disrupted and more crap will happen. Paradox. Hence why Kyon refrained from meeting himself as well.

asahina1.jpg

asahina2.jpg

THat said, future Mikuru probably knew she'd meet with her future self so she let it happen? :/

i recently decided that i preferred Miku-chan's lingerie to be pure white,

so i carefully removed all the red thread that simulated red ribbon laced throughout...

MyMikuru12-26-10.jpg

also, i have a sweet little schoolgirl uniform for her

that i just finished a few days back. all it needs is a pair

of schoolgirl loafers. i just ordered a 27cm size pair, and should have them

in a week or so. pics will follow...

Grrr, I want to see this movie NOW...

Actually, I've read Disappearance backwards and forwards like a dozen times already, so it's no surprise anymore, but I just want to see it.

And yeah, that was me discussing the future content.

The potentially BIG problem now.. see, the point where Kyon finally decides it's time to go back and save himself is during the opening to the Anti-SOS Brigade story arc. I'll certainly have to review things to refresh my memory a bit, but basically.. Kyon IS the center of all this somehow, and I mean that quite literally.

Basically, once we get past Disappearance, the next few stories are setting up the opposing side to Haruhi. We have Kyon's old middle school friend (who appparently had Haruhi's powers until the night of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody), a snarky nasty guy time traveller opposing Mikuru, a girl esper with slightly different powers than Koizumi, and a very strange and inhuman analogue to Yuki, who has no concept of individuality and such. The kicker is that the opposing side does not HAVE an equivalent to Kyon. He could potentially fit in in either group, and they do attempt to sway him to thinking his old friend should be the one who has Haruhi's powers, just because her "closed space" is actually stable and rather pleasant compared with Haruhi's. Hers are basically the lighter fluffier version.. still no people, silent, and creepy, but bathed in a whitish fog, and light. Oh, and no giant beasts of biblical destruction roaming about.

Anywho, overall this is setting up a galactic showdown of ridiculous proportions, and Yuki hints at many more potential factions they would have to deal with. The universe really IS revolving around Haruhi, in ways that haven't been clearly defined yet.

What concerns me the most at this point is that the story is unresolved. If they commit to finishing the loose ends of Disappearance, they open the next chapter, and we're talking another two seasons easy to cover everything already done, and the anti-SOS arc is just getting started in the past couple of stories.

What I'm looking forward to most right now is just seeing where the new novel goes. #9 ended on a complete cliffhanger, and the teaser for #10 had my jaw kinda hopping up and down like it was on a pogo stick. I really don't know what to expect from the novels, and the way they are going is looking more and more .. well, let's just say I'm worried for the anime. Unless they wrap it up convincingly, and SOON, they are going to NEED another several seasons of the show to finish the stories, and that opens up a nasty possibility that the show will get cut off with no official end if they decide not to continue making series to cover all the novels.

Anywho... off to re-read those novels and wait for a fansub. I forget what the actual name of the particular story is, but I think the one with the treasure hunting, Valentines day, and the duplicate Mikuru is becoming my favorite one, probably right after Disappearance anyway.. the time shenanigans is epic. I really REALLY hope they do that story in anime form someday.. but, well, see above for my concerns about that. Once they open the can of worms that makes itself known in that story, there is no going back.

Grrr, I want to see this movie NOW...

Actually, I've read Disappearance backwards and forwards like a dozen times already, so it's no surprise anymore, but I just want to see it.

Maybe I have Bart Simpson's problem, where too much TV has killed my imagination, but IMHO KyoAni made enough minor tweaks that my experience watching the movie was better than that while reading the novel. Also, listening to its amazing orchestrated soundtrack since October helped, too.

Maybe I have Bart Simpson's problem, where too much TV has killed my imagination, but IMHO KyoAni made enough minor tweaks that my experience watching the movie was better than that while reading the novel. Also, listening to its amazing orchestrated soundtrack since October helped, too.

Gonna have to agree here. The fine tweaks done in the movie one upped the novel. Not to mention this is one of those rare times when the novel is nearly page for page recreated in the movie. As for the anime, I'm really curious how they'll handle things too. It's my understanding that the 10th novel is supposed to be the final one? I wonder if they plan on doing the rest of the books in 3 hour movie chunks (ok by me), ora combinaiton of movie & series.

My review of Dissapearance is online; sadly I'm having trouble uploading screencaps - need to talk to my IT guys and hopefully will get around to it ...next Sunday..because I totally won't have time tomorrow - although they need to fix the glitch that makes it so I can't load screencaps (more than one)...

But the review is up!

Enjoy: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=996

Pete

Watched it last night and have to agree with everyone. I'd read the book so I knew what was coming, but the filmmakers managed to somehow inject the story with more oomph, which makes the end result totally more satisfying.

Kyon's reaction to being in the new reality and the way he manhandles

And the level of detail in the animation is breathtaking. The leaves on the trees, reflections on windows, rustle of a skirt, everything is just flawless. The man hours that went into this must have been considerable.

I too wonder how many of the next novels will make it either to a series or film format.

I'm willing to bet that John Smith's helping of Haruhi during Tanabata is the key to which all will come back to in the 10th novel.

Watched it last night and have to agree with everyone. I'd read the book so I knew what was coming, but the filmmakers managed to somehow inject the story with more oomph, which makes the end result totally more satisfying.

Kyon's reaction to being in the new reality and the way he manhandles Taniguchi when he hears of Suzumiya's ongoing existence are a lot more emotion laden in the film. Also Yuki's character feels more fleshed out

And the level of detail in the animation is breathtaking. The leaves on the trees, reflections on windows, rustle of a skirt, everything is just flawless. The man hours that went into this must have been considerable.

I too wonder how many of the next novels will make it either to a series or film format.

I'm willing to bet that John Smith's helping of Haruhi during Tanabata is the key to which all will come back to in the 10th novel.

i'm planning to make several outfits for my Miku♥ starting with a japanese

elementary schoolgirl uniform (white red and dark royal blue) at any rate, i'll be rather busy... ^_^

Finished!! see here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=31491&st=0&gopid=889089entry889089

ADDENDUM;

i just ran across some detailed descriptions of the events of the Suzumiya series,

and i'm not so sure i'd be able to stomach any of it, despite the rather fetching animation quality

i've seen a little of here and there.

i don't know, it altogether feels like it'd be far too much of a headache for me to digest,

most especially what i heard regarding the present Mikuru Asahina and her future twin...

i think i'd better just take the perfect vision i started with of my Miku-chan♥ and GTF away from her Anime...

perhaps i'm misunderstanding things, or only seeing half of the picture.

if so, please explain it to me. don't worry about spoiling the series for me,

as there is little chance i will ever see it, if it is anything like i think it is,

plus, i'd be mostly watching it for the sake of seeing Mikuru walk, talk and breathe anyway,

so please feel free to enlighten me...

Edited by Shaorin

Well... I have to say you're misunderstanding...

First of all - I kind of understand where you're coming from. Sometimes a toy inspires us with an awesome vision of a character; and it sucks when it turns out that the "official" version of the character in the cartoon/anime/comic or whatever is shallow and generally sucks.

But in the case of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - this isn't a risk. The official story is compatible with ANY fan vision, alternative universe, or even with other anime.

Case in point is my Haruhi Suzumiya Fanfiction which I invite everybody to check out. It's a Multiverse epic saga with elements from plenty of other anime like Gundam and Macross:

http://dyrl.pl/kategorie.html?cat_id=106

Mikuru-Asahina even gets a promotion in my vision!

The reason this is possible is because it is explicitly stated in the show that the world we see in season 1 and 2 are figmants of Haruhi's god-like imagination. She has the power to alter worlds and traverse the dimmensions; as do her undlings, like Yuki (Dissappearance being a case in point).

So - if there's something about "official" Mikuru which you don't like - then there's nothing in the cannon that says your vision of her character is "wrong."

I highly recommend you give the show a chance - then in the worse case write up a fanfiction with "alternate" Mikuru killing the "official version" - which, maybe, was a clone created by Koizumi's Agency to infiltrate the Time Traveling agency?...

or something like that :p

i just ran across some detailed descriptions of the events of the Suzumiya series,

and i'm not so sure i'd be able to stomach any of it, despite the rather fetching animation quality

i've seen a little of here and there.

i don't know, it altogether feels like it'd be far too much of a headache for me to digest,

most especially what i heard regarding the present Mikuru Asahina and her future twin...

i think i'd better just take the perfect vision i started with of my Miku-chan♥ and GTF away from her Anime...

perhaps i'm misunderstanding things, or only seeing half of the picture.

if so, please explain it to me. don't worry about spoiling the series for me,

as there is little chance i will ever see it, if it is anything like i think it is,

plus, i'd be mostly watching it for the sake of seeing Mikuru walk, talk and breathe anyway,

so please feel free to enlighten me...