New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

Are there plans for a trade paperback? If so I'd wait for that too.

Carl

There hasn't been any word on a TPB release, which is why the prices of the singles has jumped. It appears that HG is hoping that the demand and SC will finally convince DC/Wildstorm to do so, as previously they didn't see any profit in doing so.

It's always a good recommendation for a movie when you have to read a set of comic books first to set the stage.

The gigantic breasts (even on the Regiss!) were annoyingly outlandish, as were the hyperly ripped physiques of everyone, including the dog. The Haydonites are just begging for some acting lessons from someone who can deliver lines like "All in due course" and "All is has been foreseen" without sounding like Thulsa Doom's more sinister big brother. The CG Alphas looked like plastic toys (Macross Zero anyone?). Ariel flits about like Dark Phoenix. Plus I had no idea what characters Mark Hamill played not that I care.

Oh, yeah, it's a winner in anyone's book.

It's always a good recommendation for a movie when you have to read a set of comic books first to set the stage.

The gigantic breasts (even on the Regiss!) were annoyingly outlandish, as were the hyperly ripped physiques of everyone, including the dog. The Haydonites are just begging for some acting lessons from someone who can deliver lines like "All in due course" and "All is has been foreseen" without sounding like Thulsa Doom's more sinister big brother. The CG Alphas looked like plastic toys (Macross Zero anyone?). Ariel flits about like Dark Phoenix. Plus I had no idea what characters Mark Hamill played not that I care.

Oh, yeah, it's a winner in anyone's book.

Hammill was the voice for one of the haydonites and the commander of Wolf squadron.

For the sentinels tie in you need to get the Prelude comic, and that will also clue you in if your feeling clueless. But I think someone who hadn't seen Robotech at all would still be able to enjoy it... they'd be like "okay earth is already occupied by aliens and now they're getting beaten... maybe I'm missing something but whatever. oh look new aliens, okay I don't have to worry about the old ones anymore."

Honestly it's no more then you were missing comming into the first episode of Babylon 5... sure you'd understand it better if you saw "In the Begging" first but then you'd be missing half the fun.

I'd recommend reading the books instead, which is what I did with much passion during my youth, many many years ago. I was able to absorb what was happening very easily, although the gathering at my SC screening, whose last exposure to Robotech was over 20 years ago, did not fare so well...

The Prelude comics are really incomprehensible if you didn't read the Sentinels comics or novels and even then don't connect directly to them. You will probably be more confused if you read them and then see the movie than if you just see the movie unless you are quite well versed in Robotech.

Also you can steal a cbz collection of the comics off the Intertron in places...

Okay, judging from the screen caps from a couple pages back in this thread, I'd think it's safe to say that the animators spent entirely too much time and effort in accentuating the breast and buttock anatomies of the female characters--that's just gratuitous and unncecessary.

My initial reaction to pics of the [upcoming?] Ride Armor toy were: "this one might be a definite pick-one-up-er." But after studying them a little more, a deficiency in the toy's design rears its ugly head; i.e. in "Ride" mode, the bike looks too dang small to be a practical mount for the rider. Scott looks like he's trying to ride a moped or something; it looks like there's no conceivable way a rider could use the armor boots to ride/control that thing, as it appears. I realize that compromises must be made between the proportions of each mode in order to get a workable/producable toy--for instance how some say that Yamato's 1/48 VF's are optimized for fighter mode, thus compormising somewhat on battroid/gerwalk. In Toynami's case, the sculpt seems to have been optimized for the aesthetics in armor mode? I guess if the bike were made more proportionally correct, it'd have been too big for the figure to even stand when transformed?

I think I've finally figured out something that was bothering me regarding the RT.com forums. We had talked about how the RT:SC enthusiasts over there thought that the art & animation were blowing them away, while, over here, we thought it looked pretty bad. Now I know why.

The last animated show these guys watched was RT. Therefore, they're comparing SC to the original RT animation. We, on the other hand, have been watching animation since then. We've seen it progress to the beautiful visuals we see today.

So, these guys are just not aware of the huge strides animation has made since the early 80's. I guess, for them, ignorance is bliss.

I think I've finally figured out something that was bothering me regarding the RT.com forums. We had talked about how the RT:SC enthusiasts over there thought that the art & animation were blowing them away, while, over here, we thought it looked pretty bad. Now I know why.

The last animated show these guys watched was RT. Therefore, they're comparing SC to the original RT animation. We, on the other hand, have been watching animation since then. We've seen it progress to the beautiful visuals we see today.

So, these guys are just not aware of the huge strides animation has made since the early 80's. I guess, for them, ignorance is bliss.

Thats pretty much what I gleaned from our encounters with assorted Robo-trolls like BoK and wrylac, in the old days. These guys aren't so much anime fans as they are "Robotech and Robotech only" fans.

Thats pretty much what I gleaned from our encounters with assorted Robo-trolls like BoK and wrylac, in the old days. These guys aren't so much anime fans as they are "Robotech and Robotech only" fans.

I watch as little anime as humanly possible. Honestly, 90% of it just strikes me as bad but if it makes it into Adult Swim I'll watch it occasionally. So, being an anime avoider (save Robotech and the original series, Orguss, and a few other (usually old school) exceptions), I can state that the animation was clearly not up to the standards of today (especially movie standards!). I think RT fans are just thrilled to see the series going somewhere... anywhere... they're less hung up on how pretty it looks or the character designs. It's still very early so many RT fans are still in that childish euphoria stage of "Oh look Scott's back... YIPPEE!"

And one kissed ass so much he's getting played for it. :lol:

i don't watch a lot of anime, I mostly collect mech stuff and that bleeds into some anime. Honestly, I love old school animation and I don't mind CG like they did in Last Exile. I for one would LOVE Robotech to be good so I can enjoy some good ol' mech style violence. But subpar is subpar. I'm not gonna get all giddy like a school girl just cuz it says Robotech. And honestly, I've met those guys from RT.com. Tommy Yune is a nice guy and is genuinely excited about the stuff. It's kinda sucks to be so hard on their work, but I'm not gonna lie... they have enough fans and friends that surround them that do that.

I'd have to say I'm a full on Robotech fan, sure I'd rather watch Macross than RT but I love Mospeada and probably one of the few that enjoyed Southern Cross...

Not all of us on Robotech.com are like that... I watched a lot of animation up until about 2003, I've started slowing down but still watch a little, as well as import manga and Japanese video games to help improve my Japanese.

I'm not saying the animation in Robotech:TSC is mindblowing, I enjoyed it and got the message across. I'm not afraid to come down hard on a franchise I like, if I don't like the direction it's going. (I love Sakura Taisen to peices, enough I made a website out of it, but I've come down super hard on it on occassion).

I watched the "Making of a Sequal" and cringed as Frank Agrama took partial credit for killing off a hero and showcasing mature themes... it's not like they had a choice.

I admit it, TSC got me intrested in robotech for the first time in about 3 years... but I'm not going to say it's animation is on par with something like Ergo Proxy or Ghost in the Shell, or even the Sakura Taisen movie... that would just be plain silly. But the designs (aside from some of the female ones) arn't horrible, and I enjoyed the story for what it was.

And yes Bank of Kev now works for Robotech.com and from my experience he's a nice guy. But I try to stay out of Macross/Robotech flamewars, so I didn't see most of what went down.

Edited by lord_breetai

I was looking through the Prelude comics last night, and here's some things that may interest the Macross/Mospeada/Southern Cross fans here. I can scan them if anyone wants.

-Minmay screaming when Kyle is shot

-dead Kyle

-Lisa on the bridge of the SDF-3 before and during T.R. Edwards' attack

-Lisa in the hospital, Rick finding out that she lost the baby when she was wounded

-micronized Breetai with a goofy headpiece

-Invid Regent

-Breetai and other micronized Zentraedi in specialized Bioroid armor (actually looks pretty good)

-Rick in Cyclone armor

-A whopping three frames with the VF-1S

-Genesis pit on Optera

-holographic(?) Minmay kissing T.R. Edwards

-lots of Alpha/Beta dogfights

-the more advanced Invid mecha

-Dana meeting the Zor clone from Tirol "Do I know you?"

-Dana seeing Maia and then walking away without saying anything

-Dr. Lang and Exedore on the science ship with Janice

-Exedore flipping out just prior to the Neutron S missiles going off

-Lisa is on the SDF-3 with Rick

Edited by meh_cd

Shadow Chronicles is OK, but no more than that.

I don't recall anyone at Robotech.com actually writing this in any of the forums, but I get the feeling that many Robotech fans regard this as Robotech's "Do You Remember Love?"

Perhaps it is. The movies' relationship to their respective fictional universes are different, but they are both big budget (relatively speaking in terms of Shadow Chronicles), high-quality (relatively speaking in terms of Shadow Chronicles), theatrically-released (relatively speaking in terms of Shadow Chronicles) movies based, in one way or another, on their respective shows.

Sad.

Edited by The Flying Monkey

What the heck was the VF-1S doing in Prelude?? Please tell me it was a flashback or something. I have this ultra hokey image of all these Alphas launching with one VF-1 in tow... yikes. Don't' get me wrong, I love the VF-1 but man, that would be horrible.

I just got back from my local Best Buy and I saw the RT:SC DVD's in the anime isle. All I can say is wow, they really know how to make packaging. I was expecting a normal DVD case with some normal "splashy" cover art but this thing comes in a cardboard slipcase with openable front, chrome foil stampings and the works. They really want this thing to leap off the shelf and into your cart.

Then again the anime isle at Beast Buy looks like someone ate a bunch of neon and foil candy and then barfed it all up into a store media isle... all that garish, flashy packaging... outside of a few rare exceptions anime DVD design is like a Ringling Brother's & Barnum and Bailey Circus came into town.

What the heck was the VF-1S doing in Prelude?? Please tell me it was a flashback or something. I have this ultra hokey image of all these Alphas launching with one VF-1 in tow... yikes. Don't' get me wrong, I love the VF-1 but man, that would be horrible.

T.R. Edwards has a flashback to when Rick saved Lisa @ Alaska Base. Edwards was still alive and Rick flew over him and didn't rescue him, so he has been holding a grudge for 20 years.

I was looking through the Prelude comics last night, and here's some things that may interest the Macross/Mospeada/Southern Cross fans here. I can scan them if anyone wants.

-Minmay screaming when Kyle is shot

-dead Kyle

-Lisa on the bridge of the SDF-3 before and during T.R. Edwards' attack

-Lisa in the hospital, Rick finding out that she lost the baby when she was wounded

-micronized Breetai with a goofy headpiece

-Invid Regent

-Breetai and other micronized Zentraedi in specialized Bioroid armor (actually looks pretty good)

-Rick in Cyclone armor

-A whopping three frames with the VF-1S

-Genesis pit on Optera

-holographic(?) Minmay kissing T.R. Edwards

-lots of Alpha/Beta dogfights

-the more advanced Invid mecha

-Dana meeting the Zor clone from Tirol "Do I know you?"

-Dana seeing Maia and then walking away without saying anything

-Dr. Lang and Exedore on the science ship with Janice

-Exedore flipping out just prior to the Neutron S missiles going off

-Lisa is on the SDF-3 with Rick

Well I'd dig it if you scanned all 5 comics so we wouldn't have to wait 10 years for Wildstorm to reprint them.

You know I always chuckle when I hear this. The Legioss is so inferior to a VF-1 it's not even funny. The disparity in animation quality and the poor choreography of Mospeada don't lend well to making the VF-1 look like an old clunker.

I knew someone would misinterpret that comment. The point was only that the style of the two is radically different... It just seems like it'd look very funny having them fly off into combat together.

Edited - my post sounded a bit pissy.

Edited by jenius