Bok Grilled On Gatv!

Sounds like Kevin and Tommy are promoting Horrortech extensively. They drew comparisons with Voltron and Samurai X.

They are saying that Horrortech came to be a success because Horrortech = Macross + Southern Cross + Mospeada and that Horrortech is just the U.S. version of these anime. They present proof in the form of the DVD sales.

The rest is just them defending legitimate editing of Macross and how Horrortech is as good as the original. I stop listening at this point. Bleh.

Edited by Project Phoenix

Well, I listened through the whole thing and there is very little worthwhile information about Macross that we haven't heard before. They do talk about the nature of the Macross liscense, the whole syndication thing, Tatsunoko, yadda, yadda, yadda. Some questions are asked about Macross Zero only to be answered like an official press release that tells you nothing.

By now I expect HG reps have been lambasted with serious questions regarding Robotech, Macross, legal issues, imports and the whole thing so many times that they have a PR bible for any potential interview. These guys didn't deviate. Answers are standard fare, no real new comments or positions are explained, questions aren't really answered all that directly, blah, blah. Here's what I got out of it:

• HG aparently has some contract dating back to 1984 for the Macross rights, which it renewed in the mid 1990s just prior to expiration.
  • HG is of the opinion that certain aspects of Macross brought to the U.S. is their baby and they want to discuss proper liscensing before any big company distributes "certain" Macross stuff. I'm going to assume this means SDF Macross "stuff"
  • HG is open to helping bring Macross Zero to the U.S. market, but they have no control over it and say HG is currently not involved.
  • HG is of the opinion that all the problems with Macross distribution is totally a japanese related issue. They state this several times and point to the Tatsunoko/Big West legal debacle as proof of this assumption, meaning Macross Zero won't see international official sales until this japanese issue has been resolved.

As for the Robotech stuff, I admit I skipped over it. I did catch one brief segment where HG clearly states the Shadow Chronicles is completed. They also state the only thing holding up release is some partner for distribution.

Edited by Mr March

[*]HG aparently has some contract dating back to 1984 for the Macross rights, which it renewed in the mid 1990s just prior to expiration.

I thought that it was fair open ground when the licence expired for anyone to pick it up.

He's grilled on Shadow Chronicles info, Macross's domestic and international rights, and Macross Zero. gatv

394439[/snapback]

I think the title of this thread is misleading. Most of the talking in the interview is done by Tommy Yune. The main parts where I heard Kevin speaking was regarding some of the distribution issues and history of Robotech and also their cellular phone plans. I have met both Tommy and Kevin before and have had quite a few phone conversations with Kevin over the years so I know what they sound like. :)

Though the GATV guy stumbled around a little bit at times confusing Macross with Robotech and vice versa (but he would either catch himself or Tommy would), I thought it was a pretty good interview.

ok , i get his point about the initial distribution in 1982/1984. Which is fine for that time. I I like the questions posed.

However Yune's justifying the popularity of robotech dvds thru sales. Bugs me .

its as though all the versions they sold before are way better than the oroiginal Macross or their re-release w/Marii reprising her role. the "to each thier own" remark about the various choices and what Fans like ie: manga comics or their version.

also bugs me. he pretty much says that all are different and dont have very much to do with each other except in name. So ... he seems to be saying forget the original SDF and Robotech is great.

then he seems to blow off Macross Zero he just doesnt answer, it all comes down to the licensing again.

And he keep blaming Japan for the lack of material coming to the USA.

But isnt this the same company that blocks and censors their forum members from talking about other properties? You cant mention anything Macross thats not their own so WTF.

blah blah blah....

However Yune's justifying the popularity of robotech dvds thru sales. Bugs me . 

394626[/snapback]

Don't feel to bugged,

If you ever go to EBGames/Gamestop or used video/music stores (i.e Amoeba, Raputins etc), check out their used anime DVD section and look under the "R's". It's just sitting there gathering dust! :lol:

Edited by gerwalk25

I like the way Tommy blames Big West for TokyoPop's inability to publish Macross 7 Trash. Maybe if they kept their crummy paws off the property then BW would be able to do more than just publish comics stateside. They have rights to MacrossSDF TV and DYRL merchandising already, quit being greedy!

I suppose it was also "japanese companies" that sent Toycom the infamous C&D letter on the Mac Plus valks? Let's ask Toycom founder George Sohn about that...oh wait, he sold out his company and jumped ship to join HG. :rolleyes:

Do these clowns realize that they're (one of) the laughing stocks of the north american anime community? Heck, I'd sooner listen to Sandy Frank explain how BOTP was the same thing as Gatchaman, if not an improvement.

On a side note, I didn't mean to mislead anybody. I guess I got confused on the voices of Kevin & Tommy. So I apologize but now to the update.

UPDATE

The Robotech Press Tour rolls on! Captain JLS of Robotech Blogspot interviews Tommy and this time I'm 99.9% sure it's him, LOL! It's a MP3 file available for download with more parts on the way!tommyinterview

I find it incredibly funny that "Robotech sells" and they're proving this through DVD sales, yet they can't afford to pay ADV to market their new series... (I'm thinking ADV probably smelled a sinking ship and jumped overboard before they lost money on a bad project)

I thought that it was fair open ground when the licence expired for anyone to pick it up.

394470[/snapback]

I assume that any company can purchase the license, however HG renewed just prior to expiry, meaning they keep a hold of it.

Hmm, I hope someone points back to that interview then next time someone tries to license Macross & HG steps their foot in.

394501[/snapback]

They touched on that briefly in the interview. Apparently, HG has all but given up harrassing small shop owners and Yune says at one point that they don't really have a problem with "mom and pop" operations bringing in Macross merchandise. He "states" that they are concerned when a big company distributes Macross merchandise without consulting HG.

Again, I'm not even sure what that entails. Does HG means SDF Macross merchandise or ALL Macross franchise merchandise? As always, it's never clear...and I suppose that's the point.

I suppose it was also "japanese companies" that sent Toycom the infamous C&D letter on the Mac Plus valks? Let's ask Toycom founder George Sohn about that...oh wait, he sold out his company and jumped ship to join HG.  :rolleyes:

Do these clowns realize that they're (one of) the laughing stocks of the north american anime community? Heck, I'd sooner listen to Sandy Frank explain how BOTP was the same thing as Gatchaman, if not an improvement.

394709[/snapback]

See my reply above for a little clarification.

As for HG's reputation, it's a brutal truth that the majority of the anime community is blissfully ignorant of HG's history and Macross in general. Also keep in mind that HG like any other company has to maintain a unified front when it comes to marketting product. Every interview, every magazine article, every web advert, is an opportunity to reinforce the greatness of their product to the public. This is the heart of successful marketting...and even branding to a small extent.

Having said that, one thing that HG loves to state incorrectly is the "success" of Robotech on DVD as some sort of massively popular trend. As I understand it, the sales of the DVDs never approached any of the top seller lists and subsequent releases have all seen fewer sales. By way of the HG PR machine, they would have you beleive RT is selling like NGE, Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away, and most of the other anime top sellers. Granted, the RT DVD release was a modest success and was profitable, but that doesn't translate to much more than that.

I always think the gold in harmony gold refers to them given macross fans a golden shower.

Oh and about talking about macross, you can do that on rtech forums, but you can't talk about toys that are not the toynami branded ones. That's one of the reasons I ended up here. I couldn't even talk about banpresto valks. (must be huge threat to the MPC at the time :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hmm, I hope someone points back to that interview then next time someone tries to license Macross & HG steps their foot in.

394501[/snapback]

They touched on that briefly in the interview. Apparently, HG has all but given up harrassing small shop owners and Yune says at one point that they don't really have a problem with "mom and pop" operations bringing in Macross merchandise. He "states" that they are concerned when a big company distributes Macross merchandise without consulting HG.

Again, I'm not even sure what that entails. Does HG means SDF Macross merchandise or ALL Macross franchise merchandise? As always, it's never clear...and I suppose that's the point.

394919[/snapback]

Yeah riteeeeeeeee, they DONT bother to harrass "Mom & Pop" operations like what they did to Rohby-san and his 1/48 Joke Machine project?.

Also, if what he said about their only concerns are for the big companies, it doesnt justify the continual harrassment that they did repeatedly to MW members/projects. HG just sucks. Theyre just afraid the day of MACROSS judgement, where all the robotek products & fallacies will be known to the public.

ban them. kill them all. hehehe

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

*snip*

Yeah riteeeeeeeee, they DONT bother to harrass "Mom & Pop" operations like what they did to Rohby-san and his 1/48 Joke Machine project?.

Also, if what he said about their only concerns are for the big companies, it doesnt justify the continual harrassment that they did repeatedly to MW members/projects. HG just sucks. Theyre just afraid the day of MACROSS judgement, where all the robotek products & fallacies will be known to the public.

ban them. kill them all. hehehe

aaajin

395130[/snapback]

One must remember that HG is a company after all, one with a history of disingenuous dealings. They are not bound to act as they say they do. Public relations and actual policy implementation are two totally different things.

Keep in mind the motives of HG whenever they interact publically. There's nothing more effective than a salesman who believes his own pitch. I'm sure many of the HG staff honestly believe they've done nothing wrong and feel they are only protecting their own legal interests. I doubt it's a stretch to assume they rely on this position as a disavowal, abdicating any responsibility for the damage their actions have upon small business, Macross consumers, and the impact their abuse of Macross has upon the earning potential of Macross products internationally.

HG isn't going anywhere, but you can take some small solace in the fact that the company's activites/influence are marginalized. HG does have an impact on SDF Macross in NA, but they are a small player and ultimately ignorable for the majority of anime fans internationally. I suppose being a Macross fan is harder than being a fan of Trigun, NGE, Bebop, Miyazaki, etc. :)

395130[/snapback]

that statement would b highly inaccurate, Rohby would neiher be a mom or a pop. Plus it was never said that it was HG that halted that project.

I feel comfortable in the fact that I recognize HG's actions for what they are.

It all sums up to the fact that I know Robotech is shite and Macross is much, much better.

Let HG play their little game all they want. There are still people who believe that Pearl Harbor was a complete surprise, or that Saddam did have WMD's, and there will always be HG employees who truly believe their product is better than the originals it is adapted from.

I say "let them stew in their own folly."

We all know the truth.

Mr March, I admire your tenacity to stick up for those poor buggers. Uptill this point, your lone effort to fence off the Macross die-hards have been impressive. Not an easy thing to do, considereing your mob is HG! (you better not be spy..he..he :D )

BTY, I hate HG and I hope they sink to the bottom of the Atlantic sea bed with their Macross licence -_- .

Mr March, I admire your tenacity to stick up for those poor buggers.  Uptill this point, your lone effort to fence off the Macross die-hards have been impressive.  Not an easy thing to do, considereing your mob is HG! (you better not be spy..he..he :D )

BTY, I hate HG and I hope they sink to the bottom of the Atlantic sea bed with their Macross licence -_- .

395189[/snapback]

Me? An HG apologist? No offense, but only on a website like MW could I be mistaken for an HG/RT stooge. Don't confuse rational analysis for bias. I understand HG and their modus operandi, but I certainly don't condone their underhanded policies and smokescreen PR.

Damn, I feel dirty at the mere accusation!

Edited by Mr March

395130[/snapback]

You really need to check your facts before you say things like this.

395130[/snapback]

that statement would b highly inaccurate, Rohby would neiher be a mom or a pop. Plus it was never said that it was HG that halted that project.

395146[/snapback]

Ohh R'ly? read on baybeh...:

orly.jpg

any smart person would know which "certain company" he's talking about. Yamato? nah...I wouldnt think so.

sayonara,

aaajin

Edited by >EXO<

think he should run for politics with the amount of dodging and reverting the issues like for instance how bit torrent is stealing the hard work that the creators of Mac0 have put into the OVA! Oh isn't that nice always looking out for BW/Studio Nue best interest.  When in fact it's HG that's preventing the fans to get hold of the OVA in the first place! It's classic how villainizes others in this interview.

If only macrss zero had gone under the radar the way mac + did. Maybe there would be a big fanbase for macross zero and more legit purchases for the dvd due to that dvd's exposure to people who don't understand japanese. (and ordinarily have to resort to fansub?)

The profits made this due to fans purchasing legit dvds, could then go into making more of the goodness. But now fans suffer because of the blocking.

They need to remake macross with all new variable fighting mecha and just call it something else. :D joking only.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker