Here I thought Gundam UC's character designs were by Yaz, since they seem to resemble the original Gundam's character design style.

He designed the original characters for the novel, but of course, those designs were worked over for the anime. I think they still retain a lot of the flavor of Yas's illustrations.

Just personal opinion. The character styles I tend to like are those by Yutaka Izubuchi (Rahxephon, his adults mainly, not his teens), Toshihiro Kawamoto (Wol'f Rain, Gundam 08th MS Team) and Kumiko Takahashi (Witch Hunter Robin). Once again just preference, that being said I definitely see why they went the route they did as it matches the U.C. style.

That being said, Kumiko Takahashi did the designs for the Unicorn animation, just his design is different from his previous works I have seen. Not bad just not my cup of tea.

That's probably because the origin of the character designs for Unicorn began with Yasuhiko Yoshikazu. Personally I think the character designs in Unicorn are pretty good. I would've preferred Yaz's designs to be directly used (like in F91 <- best ever chara designs in Gundam IMPO) but I guess his style might not work well with animation style being used in Unicorn.

I don't think Yutaka Izubuchi did do the chara designs for Rahxephon. He doesn't do a lot of chara designing. (checks ANN). It was Yamada Akihiro.

Edited by Vifam7

Thoughts on After War Gundam X? Its the only gundam series (besides Turn A) that I have not watched....

I really haven't heard much about it, and it seems as though many people are indifferent towards it..?

What do you guys think? Is it worth the watch?

X owns: watch it immediately.

I've read a couple of reviews on Turn a Gundam (all favourable) and I'm considering making it the first non UC Gundam I watch. Anyone care to comment on their like/dislike for said series? I know that it's set in an unspecified future and has some unusual mechanical designs, but is there anything more to it storywise?

Turn A is the only masterpiece I know, all genre and media considered: watch it immediately.

It may be welcome to give a look to previous AU series before (including W, yeah, I know, it sucks terribly...), in order to get the "right" feeling: Turn A is more or less the end of the Gundam saga and it somewhat implies that all Gundam shows actually happen in the same universe, at least for the series broadcasted before Turn A, therefore it may be a good thing to have a rather precise idea of what these "previous" stories are about –though it isn't absolutely necessary...

Btw, did I tell you that G is great? Watch it immediately.

It may be welcome to give a look to previous AU series before (including W, yeah, I know, it sucks terribly...), in order to get the "right" feeling: Turn A is more or less the end of the Gundam saga and it somewhat implies that all Gundam shows actually happen in the same universe, at least for the series broadcasted before Turn A, therefore it may be a good thing to have a rather precise idea of what these "previous" stories are about –though it isn't absolutely necessary...

Btw, did I tell you that G is great? Watch it immediately.

Ok. I didn't know that Turn A had that kind of connotation. I kinda thought that it was something completely unrelated to the UC and all other timelines. Isn't it a standlalone series then?

I'll check out if G is available.

Turn-As standing in Gundam continuity is a bit of an odd fish. It is a standalone series, and I feel its quite possible to watch it as a standalone SF series without knowing about the original Gundam series. However, "Turn-A" is derived from a mathematical symbol which, IIRC, means something like "includes all". It was also created by the original series creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino [1], which makes it about as official as anything in Gundam gets, and it includes a lot of nods to the Universal Century Gundams, with some stuff grabbed from the other continuities as well. Its also set so far in the future as to make the previous Gundam continuities "ancient" history.

So. Er. Yes. And no. And maybe. :)

[1] It also transformed Tomino into "Happy, balanced Tomino", replacing the "Depressed, kill everything! Tomino" of Gundam Z or the "Happy, what-the-hell-is-he-taking!" Tomino of Gundam ZZ. :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

[1] It also transformed Tomino into "Happy, balanced Tomino", replacing the "Depressed, kill everything! Tomino" of Gundam Z or the "Happy, what-the-hell-is-he-taking!" Tomino of Gundam ZZ. :lol:

Don't forget "if you thought Z was tweaked, wait til you get a load of V" Tomino.

Might want to wait on Turn A in general, since it's getting an official release within the next year.

I hadn't heard that particular and welcome piece of news. I need to read this thread more often. ;)

I watched the first 4 or 6 eps of 00 back when it was new, but it just didn't grab me. I liked Exia itself, but really didn't like any of the pilots. Do not like 00 (the Gundam itself) nor its Raiser pack. But 00 Quanta---very intrigued. Bandai just announced the movie's coming to the US in July. Does it stand alone at all, or do I have to watch the series to "get" it?

Honestly, I really like most of the mecha designs and fight scenes of 00 from what I've seen (and the animation's gorgeous compared to other series just due to HD/newness), just not any of the Gundam pilots or their support characters. The "bad guys" seem much more interesting but not nearly focused on enough. Really, I think I didn't even finish the last ep of 00 that I started.

Ironically, based on the overall plot summary/concept of "Celestial Being" I should have *loved* the show---but I didn't even really like it enough to keep watching. "Preventing war by eliminating those who start them"---very intrigued by concept of a Gundam-enforced version of that theory. I think by Episode 2 they'd already started getting off-track or something. Plus being able to snipe across planetary distances, and the fact that 00 can apparently teleport at the end of the series stretches my belief in a "real robot" series.

In short--does it get better/pick up? Is it worth watching the series just to get the backstory on some later battles/the movie? (I've watched a fair number of clips of just battle scenes on Youtube at this point---fond of the Thrones) I'd love to watch the 00 "special edition" abridged series as it sounds just like what I want, but it seems to be only available with Engrish subs or something.

In short--does it get better/pick up? Is it worth watching the series just to get the backstory on some later battles/the movie? (I've watched a fair number of clips of just battle scenes on Youtube at this point---fond of the Thrones) I'd love to watch the 00 "special edition" abridged series as it sounds just like what I want, but it seems to be only available with Engrish subs or something.

I don't really recommend the special edition; I have the 1st volume and I think TV series is much better. I especially don't like how the music is placed, and the way O Gundam pilot revealed at the beginning kills the mysterious aura of Setsuna's 1st encounter with Gundam. And being a compilation, the pace is kinda rushed too.

As for the movie, if you look at OO series/movie thread here or anywhere else, you'll find that some people hate it with passion and some people that thinks it was OK. Most of the complain is that the movie felt disjointed with the series: so then if you just jumped into the movie without watching the entire TV series, maybe you will find the movie enjoyable ^_^ .

I watched the first 4 or 6 eps of 00 back when it was new, but it just didn't grab me. I liked Exia itself, but really didn't like any of the pilots. Do not like 00 (the Gundam itself) nor its Raiser pack. But 00 Quanta---very intrigued. Bandai just announced the movie's coming to the US in July. Does it stand alone at all, or do I have to watch the series to "get" it?

The movie has its own plot and subplot so you don't really need to watch the series to enjoy it. But if you want backstory, then yes, you'll want to watch the TV series or if you're really press for time, the compilation movies. I felt the movie was a less disjointed mess than the 1st Frontier movie.

Does anyone know when the Mobile Suit Gundam (First Gundam) sets are due this year? Has Bandai announced a date for the US re-release?

No date on 0079 or Turn-A. HOpefully more info on both will come out during the con season. Hell, the 00 movie Bluray just got announced with a street date, speaking of which, I'd still like to see 00 TV on bluray.. There also hasn't been an official word on whether or not we're going to get the Doan's Isand this time or not.

• 1 month later...

Re: visible projection. I suspect it's more like a blade or something stored on the back, rather than something on the neck/face. With Exia etc, Bandai seems to like "metal blades" almost more than beam sabers now...

Re: visible projection. I suspect it's more like a blade or something stored on the back, rather than something on the neck/face. With Exia etc, Bandai seems to like "metal blades" almost more than beam sabers now...

QFT

The image looks interesting, but does anyone else think that it looks a lot (a little too much imho) like....the gundams from 00? I think even the collor fins (based on the image) look to be replicated.

Dunno, maybe I am just throwing things out of proportion. There is one, and only ONE thing I wish from this new Gundam series though (well, technically, its two). Plz, make the series more realistic (at least as realistic as giant combatant robots can get). By this, I mean no 16 year old unstable "gaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh" boy, and no "pew pew" laser fights as some put it.

Alas, I probably just scripted the foundation for the new series as it always is with gundam though.....:(

There also hasn't been an official word on whether or not we're going to get the Doan's Isand this time or not.

I would be beyond surprised if we get that episode locally based on "their" opinion of content and quality. Obviously I've seen the episode in question and I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

I just hope it gets released in a slim pack or "anime legends" style because I don't need a huge boxset taking up a ton of shelf space.

Dunno, maybe I am just throwing things out of proportion. There is one, and only ONE thing I wish from this new Gundam series though (well, technically, its two). Plz, make the series more realistic (at least as realistic as giant combatant robots can get). By this, I mean no 16 year old unstable "gaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh" boy, and no "pew pew" laser fights as some put it.

....That's like wanting a Gundam series without mobile suits!

I would be beyond surprised if we get that episode locally based on "their" opinion of content and quality. Obviously I've seen the episode in question and I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

Dude, it has a Zaku I throwing boulders, what else could you possibly want?

Meanwhile...I've picked up where I left off with Turn-A-Gundam! Yeah...two years have passed, but...err...I'm slow...

A meta-review of episode 23-26 is up on my website with lots of picks (although it's a pretty short review - surprisingly):

http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=1057

If anybody is interested in seeing what I thought of the first 22 episodes of the series, I've collected up all of my posts from this forum and put them up on my website with lots of screencaps. I also have seperate reviews for episodes 1 and 8.:

http://dyrl.pl/kategorie.html?cat_id=146

Pete

Yahooo!

I wonder if they'll get started on it when they finish making Unicorn Or will the productions overlap?

According to Seiji Mizushima (00's director), many of the staff at Sunrise that worked with him on 00 will be working with whomever is heading this project. So if anybody is working on Unicorn, they'll just overlap with this production.

I'm sure they're saving everything (Director announcement, reveal of the new Gundam, VAs, etc.) for the 13th.

Dude, it has a Zaku I throwing boulders, what else could you possibly want?

Yes, the originator of the school of the undefeated of the east and all that. What I meant is I don't understand what sunrise/tomino/bandai/whoever has against including it in the sets.

Yes, the originator of the school of the undefeated of the east and all that. What I meant is I don't understand what sunrise/tomino/bandai/whoever has against including it in the sets.

At this point, I think it's a far stupider issue. Since BE never dubbed it, they're not going to include it.

[...] What I meant is I don't understand what sunrise/tomino/bandai/whoever has against including it in the sets.

Some rumors say that Tomino has heavy personal issues with some of the people involved with this ep, but he can't give their names before they're dead.

Sounds doubtful but with creative/oversensitive minds anything is possible...