Have to watch waaaay more Gundam before I can comment on what you guys are writing on UC vs. other Gundam series.

So far I gotta say that I'm loving Stardust Memory. Nice story with low levels of teenage angst. And the animation and art is top notch. I'm particularly enjoying how all the mechanical designs look so well put together.

Some of the mecha designs in Stardust Memory are actually done by Shoji Kawamori. Character designs are done by Toshihiro Kawamoto, of Cowboy Bebop fame.

Have to watch waaaay more Gundam before I can comment on what you guys are writing on UC vs. other Gundam series.

So far I gotta say that I'm loving Stardust Memory. Nice story with low levels of teenage angst. And the animation and art is top notch. I'm particularly enjoying how all the mechanical designs look so well put together.

Just finished the series, I just love it for the fact that the protagonist isn't a high school boy. Also the Kawamori influences although I'm constantly perplexed how paper-like(in terms of structural integrity and combustible) the ships of the line were.

Some of the mecha designs in Stardust Memory are actually done by Shoji Kawamori. Character designs are done by Toshihiro Kawamoto, of Cowboy Bebop fame.

That explains the visual awesomeness I'm experiencing :D

[...]

MSG - Evil space people

Z - Evil earth people

ZZ - Evil space VS. Evil Earth

CCA - dumb earth people vs Evil space

F91 - nonsense earth people fighting evil space people

V - Evil space people fighting earth people

G - Gundams fight in tournaments to decide who rules earth for year and all sorts of crazy plottwists and ends up more or less with a battle against the devil with cameos from every gundam series set before... and one after it...

W - Space terrorists vs. apeface earth people

X - What if space nazi's droped all their colonys on earth and killed everyone? Neat setup bad followup

Turn A - anti-war message... where the characters DONT fight every episode... O.o wow

Seed - Space Nazis vs. Earth people then the twist earth people are evil TOO so fight everyone at the same time.

00 - Space terrorists fight anyone with a dangerous stick.

[...]

I think you oversimplify it, really...

[...]

All right, if 3 of you guys can agree on this my curiousity is officialy piqued and I'll check out G as well.

I'll be the 4th, then ;)

Seriously, G is made of win and gold in its very own and super roboesque way: don't take it seriously, but like some sort of very well done parody instead – or something like that...

Of all the alternate universe Gundam series, personally I thought Gundam X was the best. I'd even say that Gundam X was a much more enjoyable series than any of the other 1990's Gundam TV series (including the UC continuity Victory).

Seconded.

And not only it deserved to be properly completed instead of being canceled like First has been in its time, but it also deserved a sequel far more than the ones which got one...

Just finished the series, I just love it for the fact that the protagonist isn't a high school boy. Also the Kawamori influences although I'm constantly perplexed how paper-like(in terms of structural integrity and combustible) the ships of the line were.

Possibly a reaction of sorts to World War II, where ships of the line proved vulnerable to aircraft attacks (substitute Mobile SUIT attacks). Of course, sometimes you still needed a lot of firepower to sink one. In Gundam, it does serve to highlight the superiority of Mobile SUITs and particularly in 0083, where the Federation building more and more non-MS carrying space battleships is showing how the Federation became all stagnant and OldType compared to those awesome space Nazis! :)

Finished Stardust Memory. Great stuff!

Only bad thing is that Nina Purpleton doesn't die! Totally should have had it coming after the way she played with our young hero's heart :p

They really should have hired Kawamori to do more mechanical designs for other Gundam. The mobile suits and their gear are just awesome.

Seeing the Titan uniforms left me wanting more, so I'll watch the Zeta trilogy now. Have been told that even though it changes the story a bit, it still pretty sweet.

He he he. Gundam Unicorn, Full Frontal, wtf? I haven't been keeping track of this one, yet that's the only thing I know about it. And he's the Char knockoff for the show.

The good thing is that Unicorn is actually a Universal Century story. It takes place three years after Char's Counterattack.

Full Frontal is more than just a Char knockoff. There's hints within the show and the original novels that he's actually a clone of Char. He's even played by the same voice actor, Shuichi Ikeda.

The good thing is that Unicorn is actually a Universal Century story. It takes place three years after Char's Counterattack.

Full Frontal is more than just a Char knockoff. There's hints within the show and the original novels that he's actually a clone of Char. He's even played by the same voice actor, Shuichi Ikeda.

it's more than just hinted at, in the novels they specifically explain that he's a cyber-newtype genetically altered to look like char, and implanted with memories pulled from the psycoframe of one of char's mobile suites (presumably sazabi)

Yeah, I really enjoy the Gundam series that do NOT feature a high school age boy randomly falling into the possession of a prototype uber Gundam and then we later find out that he is some kind of "uber-person" (i.e. ultimate coordinator, newtype, innovator, etc.).

I love the series like 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory for the more enjoyable overtones and realism in that they are actual soldiers in the Gundam, not a random teenager. Beyond that, I think 08th MS team, Stardust Memory, and related OVAs were some of the only Gundam shows to really feature actual "damage" to the mobile suit. Well yes, in other series, an arm or so would fall off once in a while, and "maybe" the main gundam would be destroyed, but the pilot would generally miraculously survive with no explanation or it would only be a part of a final battle or story battle. In 08th MS team and Stardust Memory, we see this kind of damage in any regular old battle (like when one of the ground type gundams get damaged by a zaku attack).

Dunno, but I guess the general idea is that I agree with you :) Sunrise should do more "realistic" gundam series...

it's more than just hinted at, in the novels they specifically explain that he's a cyber-newtype genetically altered to look like char, and implanted with memories pulled from the psycoframe of one of char's mobile suites (presumably sazabi)

Just to add to this...

I've seen it mentioned that Director Furuhashi said that he wanted to blur Full Frontal's origins a bit for the OAV. He's not outright saying Frontal isn't Char but he's not letting the cat out of the bag right from the start.

I'd write this up as a difference in media presentation.

I love the series like 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory for the more enjoyable overtones and realism in that they are actual soldiers in the Gundam, not a random teenager. Beyond that, I think 08th MS team, Stardust Memory, and related OVAs were some of the only Gundam shows to really feature actual "damage" to the mobile suit. Well yes, in other series, an arm or so would fall off once in a while, and "maybe" the main gundam would be destroyed, but the pilot would generally miraculously survive with no explanation or it would only be a part of a final battle or story battle. In 08th MS team and Stardust Memory, we see this kind of damage in any regular old battle (like when one of the ground type gundams get damaged by a zaku attack).

Agreed.

On the point of 08th, I'd also like to add that there's a real sense of scale in the animation, where some of the other shows tend to lose it (not surprising, since space battles and pew-pew laser fights can blur scale quite a bit).

I kinda liked how the first gundam was handled, the only things special about it was the metal of the armor, and the energy rifle which up to that point had only been seen as starship armament. Seeing the series remind me alot of the M1A1 Abrams against those old soviet era tanks from the first gulf war. Those Iraqi's just didn't have the range, firepower, or armor to go toe to toe with the Abrams, just like the zeon's mobile suits. And as for Amuro surviving the destruction of the RX-78-2 it actually made a decent bit of sense.

after its very badly damaged Amuro uses it as a decoy on autopilot to trigger an ambush Char had set up

This actually makes more sense than the original Japanese version. :lol:

OMFG, THEY FINALLY MADE ANGELIC LAYER GUNDAM?!!???!?!?!?!?!! Is this a new show from this season (not talking about the fanparody dub)?

I kinda liked how the first gundam was handled, the only things special about it was the metal of the armor, and the energy rifle which up to that point had only been seen as starship armament. [...]

Don't forget the double eye for stereoscopic vision... ;)

It sure is made of win; dunno if it'd work as well as a whole series but we can still hope for more in the future.

Thanks for the link, reeoyuy ;)

I'm really disappointed that it's such a short ONA, I totally would have followed whole seires, horse & all.

Ah, yes. Boris and his horse. Also, mini Big-Zam, Zaku-rello vs Dendrobium, and adorable Beargguy :lol:

It sure is made of win; dunno if it'd work as well as a whole series but we can still hope for more in the future.

Thanks for the link, reeoyuy ;)

You're welcome. It's surprisingly well done and enjoyable. I don't think it will work as whole series too. I will watch it, but many fans will blatantly against it. Can't be helped, but Bandai should make more in ONA format like this once in a while. With interesting characters this is much better than plain gunpla ad out there.

Don't forget the double eye for stereoscopic vision... ;)

I'm not so sure this was an improvement, many mobile suits after the one year war still used the monoeye like the hi-zack for example. Besides the steroscopic vision would only work if the camera's were linked to the pilots own eyesight, other wise you're still looking at a flat viewscreen.

EDIT: It wouldn't be used for the range finder scope either since the Guncannon has one and is a monoeye the same as the zaku's.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I'm not so sure this was an improvement, many mobile suits after the one year war still used the monoeye like the hi-zack for example. Besides the steroscopic vision would only work if the camera's were linked to the pilots own eyesight, other wise you're still looking at a flat viewscreen.

EDIT: It wouldn't be used for the range finder scope either since the Guncannon has one and is a monoeye the same as the zaku's.

Actually, I could have sworn the even Gundams only have a single main camera, which is not the actual eyes, but the little green bit above the yellow crown on their helmet (You know, the other green thing other than the eyes on most gundams' heads. I have always thought that the actual camera resided in their.

At least, that is how it worked in 08th MS Team (that one girl appears in shiro's main moniter, but when they show the outside, the girl is looking into the upper green thing on the gundam's helmet, not the actual eyes)

I dunno for sure, but IIRC, that is how it worked for a few Gundams, at least within the UC timeline....

Wow, so much thought for such a little peripheral detail :lol:

Watching Zeta A New Translation. Love the new animation and scenes, although for some reason all the old stuff looks a bit grainy. But nowhere near enough to be distracting.

Hope to see the last 2 movies by the end of the week.

Watching Zeta A New Translation. Love the new animation and scenes, although for some reason all the old stuff looks a bit grainy. But nowhere near enough to be distracting.

Hope to see the last 2 movies by the end of the week.

Nice! But just a suggestion on my part, if you haven't already heard that is, you should definitely try and watch the last episode of the Zeta TV series after you finish watching the movies mainly because the ending of the movies is a little bit different than that of the TV series.

Furthermore, the movie (trilogy of movies) ending essentially retcons much of the continuing series, which would be ZZ. Just a thought, unless you already know that is :)

Furthermore, the movie (trilogy of movies) ending essentially retcons much of the continuing series, which would be ZZ. Just a thought, unless you already know that is :)

No, ending of Z movies is just alternate version, not a retcon that eliminates ZZ from UC timeline. Especially when Unicorn took so much elements, characters, and units from ZZ. Anyone who told you that ZZ is not canon anymore due to Z movies ending is just plainly hate ZZ :rolleyes:

Oh, right. They declared it themselves: "Anime Ja Nai!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WxPZ1wdFNI

Ha, ha. :D

yeah, ZZ is one funny beast in the Gundam lineup to be sure.

And yeah, I am aware that the movie ending and the tv series endings are a bit different so I'm REALLY looking forward to it. So please use spoiler tags people if you have anything specific to say on the issue.

Oh, I didn't mean that the Z movie ending retcons the ZZ series entirely, I just meant to say that if one considers solely the Zeta movie ending as canon, then a lot of the elements in ZZ won't make sense ^_^

Maybe it was a misuse of the word "retcon"? :lol:

Oh, I didn't mean that the Z movie ending retcons the ZZ series entirely, I just meant to say that if one considers solely the Zeta movie ending as canon, then a lot of the elements in ZZ won't make sense ^_^

Maybe it was a misuse of the word "retcon"? :lol:

No, it actually does retcon ZZ out of existence, which is why the movie ending isn't official canon.

No, it actually does retcon ZZ out of existence, which is why the movie ending isn't official canon.

Finished Zeta a New Translation and I'd have to say that I agree with you. While it retains 99% of the TV series storyline the 1% they do change,

Kamille preserving his sanity would make ZZ a bit redundant.

Other than that, I'd have to say that I was a bit surprised about how little of the storline was changed though. I also expected a lot more new animation. Still really enjoyable set of films.

Actually now that I think about it another major difference that kinda retcons ZZ is

the sending of Mineva Zabi to Earth. I quite didn't grasp what was the rationale for sending her to earth was, but it would mess up the ZZ continuity a little bit, or would it?

Finished Zeta a New Translation and I'd have to say that I agree with you. While it retains 99% of the TV series storyline the 1% they do change,

Kamille preserving his sanity would make ZZ a bit redundant.

Other than that, I'd have to say that I was a bit surprised about how little of the storline was changed though. I also expected a lot more new animation. Still really enjoyable set of films.

The second biggest change knocking ZZ out is obviously

The EFSF taking Axis, without Axis, there's no base for Neo Zeon factions to launch from.

The second biggest change knocking ZZ out is obviously

The EFSF taking Axis, without Axis, there's no base for Neo Zeon factions to launch from.

Ok. Kinda wasn't too sure about that one. The whole last bit seems a bit rushed.