She Sings As Lynn Minmay(before And Now)

diamondtmt

I had the pleasure of attending Mari's recent concert at the Knitting Factory in NYC (it was part of an anime "after party" of sorts for the NY Comic Con), and was honored to spend some time with her after the show. She looks beautiful after all these years and sports an incredible voice, but what really amazed me was her kindness and warmth towards fans. We discussed Macross through the years, her performance in the new dub (which I told her was the one thing that even the most nitpicky fans were in favor of), and her coming to terms with being Minmay.

Funny thing, she recognized the name "Macross World" and could have sworn that she was scheduled to have an interview with this site in the near future. Shawn? Graham? Can anyone confirm this? I'm positive she wouldn't have us confused with Robotech.com. And if this isn't the site she had in mind...let's make it so!  ;)

Speaking of Robotech: during the show, before performing the "Mari sings Lynn Minmay" version of My Boyfriend is a Pilot (I have a large 22 MB Quicktime movie I took of this entire song, if anyone is interested in hosting it? I'd love to share it, but I have no place to store it currently. PM me if you're interested), she asked the audience if they were Robotech fans (to which a few hands raised) or Macross fans (which caused a lot more clapping and noise). I just thought that was interesting, since I would have expected the opposite from this crowd. She seemed very excited about the response and mentioned that she's on a quest of sorts to redeem Minmay in the eyes of the english speaking world, since she feels so strongly for the character.

As for Macross songs, she only performed 2: My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Cinderella. The rest was all original material, including some demos of new songs (which sounded great, IMO). Throughout the entire show, she would talk and laugh with the audience for long periods of time and explain the meaning and emotions behind each song. The whole setting was very intimate, with almost a VH1 "Storytellers" vibe.

After agreeing to take a picture with me, and noticing the photo came out rather crappy on my digital camera (due to the poor lighting in the club), Mari asked if I would mind waiting for her to finish signing autographs and such so she could take a better picture with me in the lobby of the place. How cool is that?!

Anyway, here's a picture of the beautiful Miss Iijima and myself (modeling only the HOTTEST in geek fashion  :p ):

384212[/snapback]

Nice you have one of my shirts.

Anyway there is truth to this. She knows this site well cause I invited her to Last year's Macross World Con.

I already sent her an Email inviting her once again for this year's con on July 2nd.

she has not yet gotten back to me but if she is refering to my email then yes this is confirmed.

oh and Shawn has green lighted all my decisions as CEO of MWcon.

Considering how painfully shy the Japanese are and the women are worse than the men, I seriously doubt she was coming on to anyone... :rolleyes:

384666[/snapback]

Japanese shy!? Not, the ones I know, well no more so than people of any other race.

Graham

Speaking of Robotech: during the show, before performing the "Mari sings Lynn Minmay" version of My Boyfriend is a Pilot (I have a large 22 MB Quicktime movie I took of this entire song, if anyone is interested in hosting it? I'd love to share it, but I have no place to store it currently. PM me if you're interested), she asked the audience if they were Robotech fans (to which a few hands raised) or Macross fans (which caused a lot more clapping and noise). I just thought that was interesting, since I would have expected the opposite from this crowd. She seemed very excited about the response and mentioned that she's on a quest of sorts to redeem Minmay in the eyes of the english speaking world, since she feels so strongly for the character.

Why not try a free file hosting site?:

http://www.filefactory.com/upload/

I just watched DYRL again.

It's really sad that the character she played actually dies on the sdf2 just because kawamori wanted to get fans off his case about what happened to the three characters. I think they should have a side story of the events on the megaroad so we know for sure what happened. Would be great excuse to know more about the vf4.

Did Misa get possessed by a Protodevlin and cheat on Hikaru by fooling around and destroying the relationship, which then resulted in hikaru getting a divorce and marrying minmay, who then gives up on music and becomes a fighter pilot after realising music alone can't beat the protodevlin unless you have anima spiritua? All these questions fans want to know. I personally think they all met a new alien species and went into a new dimension where the PD lived, and this is why they can't be found.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Considering how painfully shy the Japanese are and the women are worse than the men, I seriously doubt she was coming on to anyone... :rolleyes:

384666[/snapback]

Japanese shy!? Not, the ones I know, well no more so than people of any other race.

Graham

384831[/snapback]

Were they born and raised in America or Japan? It's a cultural thing, not racial.

oh and Shawn has green lighted all my decisions as CEO of MWcon.

Yeah...take that Eternal D and your attitude problems! HAHAHA j/k. I'm such an instigator.

BTW...she sings as lynn minmay.... hmmmm where's Reba West?

Edited by phatslappy

Dude she was coming on to you and you blew it!

384466[/snapback]

Ha! Actually, I blew it earlier in the conversation when I mentioned how my fiancée and I plan on playing Ai Oboete Imasu Ka at our wedding. I felt guilty because my girl really wanted to be there that night, but was home sick. :unsure:

Here's the really amusing part, though:

As I was talking to the lovely Ms. Iijima, her assistant/friend (who took the pictures) made a comment about Mari finally finding that boyfriend she was looking for. Mari then blushed and replied “No, no, he’s getting married!†:D:p Life is weird.

It was definitely a night to remember, and I got her to sign some original SDF Macross scene cards as well as a few of her albums. After the utter fiasco that was the New York Comic Con (or wasn't, in my case, as I was told the place was beyond capacity when I arrived that morning and had to wait in a 2 hour line for a chance to get my refund and go home... :angry: ), I was determined not to make the day a total waste, so I hiked right back to Manhattan that night for the concert. It was worth all the effort.

Like I mentioned before, I have video of the performance, but need some place to host the files. Any takers?

384627[/snapback]

Bah, you could have had your own love triangle, you're just not thinking outside the box!

Mari/Minmay  she's all grown up, now :wub:

384160[/snapback]

She was grown up then... 18 or 19 by my reckoning when she made the show.

385163[/snapback]

So, shes about 40-ish now, and still looks Hot :)

Hold your hormones horsies!!!

Remember: Cher is 3000 years old and doesn't look a day over 80

it's called plaster make-up

385335[/snapback]

Mari Ijima doesnt have plastic surgery. I dont think she can afford it. sad to say. but its all good genes.

Mari definitely looks incredible, and I highly doubt there was any surgery involved. :rolleyes: Trust me, she has aged well. Don't believe me? Check out the clip (I finally was able to upload this to a file hosting site):

Mari Iijima singing My Boyfriend is a Pilot at the Knitting Factory, 2/26/06

Forgive my awful shaky cam and low quality image (it was dark in there). Also, this is a large file (21 MB), so it isn't dial-up friendly.

:p

Edited by crasis

Hold your hormones horsies!!!

Remember: Cher is 3000 years old and doesn't look a day over 80

it's called plaster make-up

385335[/snapback]

Most Asian women tend to look younger than their actual age in comparison to women of other races. I see non-Asian guys on the net bash a cute asian woman as looking like she's 12 and crap like that. I usually laugh at this, because when that same woman turns 40, she'll still look like she's 20. Mari is a perfect example of this IMO.

Anyone remember Phoebe Cates from Fast Times at Ridgemont High? She's pushing 40 right now and still looks as hot as she did in that movie, and she's only half Asian.

Edited by Seven

Haha thanks for that. She mentions not liking to sing it because too many people were calling her minmay. :D  What would have been funny is if someone in the crowd shouted MIIIINMAAAYY!! like in dyrl. :D

386122[/snapback]

no that wouldnt be funny. Imagine you strive everyday to create your own music and set yourself apart from a job you did back when you were in highschool.

Say you were the hotdog store mascot and you had to wear that embarrasing hot dog costume. and everyone kept reminding you of it and wouldnt let you go or recognize what else you ahve done with your life. gets kinda annoying.

Recognize the woman, not the part she played 20 years ago.

Hey, you are now getting personal, our Goddess Minmay is no Hotdog Mascot :D .

Confucius says: it is import to accept your own past before others can accept you, especially if you are the voice actress for Lynn Minmay -_- .

Seriousely, whether she likes it or not, Minway is part of Mari. I hope Mari could find peace with Minmay .

Say you were the hotdog store mascot and you had to wear that embarrasing hot dog costume. and everyone kept reminding you of it and wouldnt let you go or recognize what else you ahve done with your life. gets kinda annoying.

386370[/snapback]

Edited by Mowe

Crasis:

Thanks!

-----

That was really cool. I've never seen her before tonight. She looked like she couldn't wait to finish though :D Which is totally understandable. She prob feels like Punky Brewster or something.

I'm waiting for my DYRL copy to get here (my old VHS copy is history) but it brought back a lot of memories since I haven't watched it for at least 7 years. I instantly remembered the way the song went.

She's hot!

Wait I'm lost, is there any point to this thread?

Yes. This thread is about Mari Iijima. :)

I'm so jealous of all your stories about meeting Mari. *sigh*

My only interaction with Mari is an email reply when I asked her if she's coming to the UK. :D

You know it would be funny as hell if she were in fact a regular member of Macross World and no one knew it. I think she might reappraise her view of Macross Fans based on this thread. :p

Food for thought. :p

This is her reply to my question if she's planning a UK/London gig in the future.

I don't have any plan for now,

but you guys can always plan one for me . . . ?

I love UK, you know.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Mari

Unfortunately, I don't even know where to begin to string together a gig! :unsure:

This is her reply to my question if she's planning a UK/London gig in the future.
I don't have any plan for now,

but you guys can always plan one for me . . . ?

I love UK, you know.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Mari

Unfortunately, I don't even know where to begin to string together a gig! :unsure:

387128[/snapback]

I just visited her MySpace page and listen to a few of her tracks. OMG can that girl sing and her J-Pop/Jazz sound is timeless. Mari will always be Lynn Minmay to me.

For the record, don't forget Mari is single, & loves snoopy. So bring a Snoopy Doll & flowers to any showings, and that will almost certainly amplify your chances at some ass.

384503[/snapback]

Not single anymore. She's been remarried.

For the record, don't forget Mari is single, & loves snoopy. So bring a Snoopy Doll & flowers to any showings, and that will almost certainly amplify your chances at some ass.

384503[/snapback]

389477[/snapback]

:o:(

384503[/snapback]

389477[/snapback]

What!?!? Did she JUST get remarried!?!?

I just read an interview with her 1 or 2 months ago saying she was looking for that someone special. Did she find somone and tie the knot that quick!?!?