The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

Hello, got my Garland toy, and was pretty impressed... until today (two weeks after).

After repeated transformations without any problems, the shoulder joint (connects right arm to the front tire/wheel) broke.

Does anybody know where I can get replacement parts (if possible) for this?

Otherwise, I'll have to leave it in cycle mode, as thanks to the magnets it holds together just fine.

Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is already addressed.

jw

Everyone who has a Garland, or is planning to get one, make sure you read Ginrai's posts about the breakage of the outer shoulder joints. Mine broke on both shoulders, with the plastic pieces all cracked up. Don't even think its a lemon, just really weak plastic construction at that joint, as both broke off around the same time and same way, all with normal shoulder posing and transforming and delicate handling.

Word of advice, always move that shoulder by grabbing at the joint with your fingers, never pull the lower part of the arm to move it, it will stress the plastic, and crack from within before you can even see it. Also, some of us like to raise the shoulders up higher with that ratchet. Try to refrain from doing so. The ratchet is stiffer when lifted, and again, more stress on the shoulder when pulling back down.

Yamato USA is very helpful. After a few emails, I have mine sent back to them and got a brand new replacement in a few days. While this toy is still very cool, really keep an eye on the shoulders, and the metal bar peg. You'll regret it if you don't. :)

I'm not trying to start anything here but I was gave mine a very through going over when I got it because of Ginrai's posts.

I worked the shoulder joints around a bit and nothing looks in any danger.

416128[/snapback]

I would recommend caution when dealing with any part of the shoulder-arm assembly.

I had the same attitude after about 3 transformations each way until it snapped on me.

Let the horror begin... (pics from my old broken one)

GarlandBadShoulder07.jpg

GarlandBadShoulder02.jpg

GarlandBadShoulder01.jpg

After opening my new replacement for a day, with one transformation and very little shoulder posing(being super careful as I learned my lesson), I start seeing a fainted crack cracking from the inside on the left shoulder again. Look similar to the one in the pic above, but smaller and less obvious. So disappointed, and don't think its an issue of being a lemon. since I am getting 3 broke shouldes on a row. Just really bad construction, with that shoulder piece way way too thin on the top. I dipped a big drop of super glue on top of that cracking shoulder part, hopefully it will reinforce the weak connection a bit more from the outside, and avoid the crack from spreading. But not too optimistic about it since it comes from the inside, where there is no way the glue can reach at the moment.

Don't think I'll bother exchanging it again. If the shoulders really fall apart again, I'll just super glue them on for good, with no shoulder movement. At least it can still transform....so sad. Mine is US version, but I doubted there is any difference from the import. Looks just like any import Yamatos to me, as all my Macross stuff are import. Garland's package & instruction don't seem look any different, even have the same Japanese questionaire for the product.

I still like the Garland, even if it means it will eventually have stiff superglued shoulders. But this shoulder thing really hurts this otherwise very well designed, very playable toy. I actually find it more fun playing it than my VFs, to my surprise. Feels sturdy and balances so well in robot mode. If only the shoulders were better made...

Just got an email reply from Yamato USA, after telling them that my replacement cracked at the shoulders as well. They are very supportive, and tell me that they are trying to get a hold of some improved arm assembly replacements from Yamato (Japan, and sounds like the improved shoulders are still in development), and will let me know once they got it. But couldn't tell me a definite time when those would arrive at the moment.

Nice guy I talked to, and glad that they have looked into the issue already. Just need to be patient about it. Hope the superglue would hold up until then. :p

Edited by mpchi

Good thing they are going to be improving the shoulder in later releases. If anyone buys those, a review comparing them to the older one would be great.

Toynami might not be all that bad, (I'm looking forward to the 1/100 macross line) just that the MPC macross stuff, when weighed against the competition....

(it's not always true that you get what you pay for, sometimes it's just overpriced :D - and no jokes about us being tightasses who "need to get three jobs and ask our bosses for pay rises" to buy a toy :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Had my Garland for almost two weeks now, and the shoulders have no stress or crack marks (knock on wood).

I think I transformed it like ten times and it is working fine. The joints are nice and tight. I noticed however, that the shoulder joints are made with a very thin plastic that appears to be brittle :(

Maybe Yamato should have used POM (like they did for a lot of parts for the 1/60 VF-1).

I'm sorry for all the people that got an ostheoporosis suffering Garland.

I really like this toy, like mpchi said, it's very playable and poseable. It's got an amazing design and a great transformation sequence. It can also give you the middle finger :lol:

Someone said to loosen the shoulder joint screw, how do you opened and get to it? As the shoulder tip part looks to be glued together and covered the shoulder joint.

People should try open it and figure a way to make it stronger.

Edited by ychanus

I just try adding some lubricant into the shoulder joint as I couldn't find a way to open the shoulder without breaking it. However, the shoulder is now more loose, and I feel that it is safer to be played with now.

However, I noticed that the plastic they used for garland is way less sturdy compare to 1/48 valk. The plastic feel like from a model kit than from a plastic toy, and which I thought it is supposed to be ABS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by ychanus