M:i:iii/mission Impossible 3.

UN Spacy

It pisses me off when Mel Gibson tells me to go to church.

It pisses me off when Bruce Willis tells me I need to support Bush, when he doesn't know the first thing about war either.

351988[/snapback]

Regarding Mel Gibson, be more specific. I have heard and seen numerous interviews with him. He has shared his faith (like all Christians are suppose to) and of course there is his movie about Christ's last few hours before his death and subsequent resurrection, but has he held a gun to your head? Ever since The Passion, the main things I hear about Mel are his next few projects including one involving the Holocaust and the other set in a Mayan village (I think) hundreds of years ago.

(Tom Cruise has Scientology tents set up on the sets of his movies trying to get cast members and crews to convert).

As for Bruce Willis, I understand in recent years he did seriously look into going into the arm forces, but he was obviously too old.

And I got to ask you Agent ONE, have you served in the military? Do you have relatives in the military?

It pisses me off when Mel Gibson tells me to go to church.

It pisses me off when Bruce Willis tells me I need to support Bush, when he doesn't know the first thing about war either.

351988[/snapback]

Regarding Mel Gibson, be more specific. I have heard and seen numerous interviews with him. He has shared his faith (like all Christians are suppose to) and of course there is his movie about Christ's last few hours before his death and subsequent resurrection, but has he held a gun to your head? Ever since The Passion, the main things I hear about Mel are his next few projects including one involving the Holocaust and the other set in a Mayan village (I think) hundreds of years ago.

(Tom Cruise has Scientology tents set up on the sets of his movies trying to get cast members and crews to convert).

As for Bruce Willis, I understand in recent years he did seriously look into going into the arm forces, but he was obviously too old.

And I got to ask you Agent ONE, have you served in the military? Do you have relatives in the military?

352657[/snapback]

- mel&bruce - well I guess I can't cite sources. I just threw some right stuff in with the lefty commie pussy people. I didn't want to sound one sided, but I still think that actors should just act and shut the hell up about everything else... Or at least we as fans can dislike or accept their behavior equally. I think the problem most have is the hate the celebs they don't agree with and they say "that fukin retard should shut the hell up" but when they agree, then the guy is smart. Its just a double standard.

I don't agree with Tom's views on a whole, but some of they things that the Scientoligists believe seem smart to me... I feel for the most part it isn't wise to medicate mental problems, as the medication always fixes the symptom, not the problem. IE the person SEEMS calm, therefore he/she must be fine. Thats crap.

I never served in the military and its the only regret I have in life. I have 2 Generals in the family, one Airforce one Army.

eh, ive seen suicidal go to completly fine with medication, and paranoia,ect...... wrong thinking hat man that chits real

352664[/snapback]

Sedated doesn't mean problem solved.

eh, ive seen suicidal go to completly fine with medication, and paranoia,ect...... wrong thinking hat man that chits real

352664[/snapback]

352666[/snapback]

That's the thing though. It's not just sedation. These drugs actually help.

No, they don't completely solve the problem, but they allow people to act with enough rationality and control for therapy to have a positive effect.

It's not body thetans.

My main problem with Cruise is that he pushes this batshit insane image of himself through the media, and apparently doesn't think people will think unfavorably of him. He's one of the strangest people I have ever heard of next to the criminally insane. Acting like a child on Ophra is one thing, but belittling people because they don't know "the history of psychiatry" is just bizarre.

EDIT: I can't type

Edited by Wesker99

I don't agree with Tom's views on a whole, but some of they things that the Scientoligists believe seem smart to me... I feel for the most part it isn't wise to medicate mental problems, as the medication always fixes the symptom, not the problem.  IE the person SEEMS calm, therefore he/she must be fine.  Thats crap.

Our society is over-medicated at large, and we'd all agree with the surface of Tom's claims-- but Scientology takes what's common sense to most of us, rephrases it in a way that sounds like new knowledge, and then offers it to people looking to improve their lives by selling them books and courses at exhorbitant costs... which all end up having to do with fortune cookie revelations, past lives, and ultimately aliens. Common sense statements all have a deeper implication and different understanding to Scientologists, most of them involving getting you into their cult if possible.

Meanwhile, they offer none of the help that psychiatry, medicine, clinical psychology, or counselling offers. You sure feel good though, because you're talking to yourself for 5 hours a day holding two soup cans tied to a poor man's lie detector.

Scientology also takes their stance on medication of the mind to an extreme, even for those who are obviously chemically imbalanced or in need of medical help at a particular moment. There was a gal who died in Scientology's custody, because while she was having a psychological breakdown (which isn't supposed to be happening if Scientology was truly helping her), Scientologists told the doctors that it was against her beliefs to receive psychiatric care. They then took her to a hotel where they attempted to treat her themselves through their own methods, some of it involving long periods of isolation. She didn't repond and died a week or two later in their hands of dehydration or pneumonia, depending on who you listen to.

People who actually suffer from mental disorders that Scientology can't seem to fix are ultimately blamed for their own condition, or "offloaded" as soon as the cult realizes that person can't benefit the organization financially or materially.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but Scientology is some seriously bad juju.

eeeer.. What'd he say?

Sorry, oblique GI Joe Public Service Announcement reference.

Despite the obligatory defenses I make for the mental health industry out of knowing Scientology's motives in making it a scapegoat for society's ills, I actually agree with DeathHammer on more than a few points. I wouldn't say that there's no benefit to the different branches of the mental health industry, but I think it's more often abused by folks looking for a quick fix.

I'm gonna be vulnerable for one quick minute and say that like most human beings, I actually have insecurities and I actually have things that bug me. So I think I can sort of imagine the temptations of a fix for whatever doesn't feel great, whether that fix is in medication or in paying someone to listen to you so you don't have to risk your real relationships. Ended up being my faith and thoughts that lead me to realize-- dude, just get over yourself already. As hokey as it sounds. Probably not something learned medicated on some guy's couch.

Edited by Sundown

Not all of the mental health industry is bad.

Psychoanalysis, that's bad for treating problems. You dwelve into the past to try to find the origin of a possible mental problem, and it takes years of expensive therapy. If you only want to find out what caused you to have mental problems, then have fun. :p

There's a bunch of different schools of psychology. Some are better than others.

If you look deep into a crowd you will find some good people. If you look at just the mass, all you'll see is the crap.

I'm certainly not going to become a pschological therapist. Too open to law suit, among many negative things.

And as for MI3... What if it becomes one big thing about scientology? :p Bad guy persecutes Ethan Hunt because bad guy is a rich evil psychologist out to get his rival scientologist scammers out of the picture!

Maybe they should change main characters for Mission Impossible, or at least change actors... As long as it doesn't continue down the path of the Bond franchise... Good god, I haven't watched the last few Bond movies they looked so bad.

352664[/snapback]

352666[/snapback]

um, I didnt say sedated. 2 occasions,

GreatGrandmother was paranoid scitso, they put her on a medication that actually helped her understand that what she was thinking was in fact not real. She wasnt tired all the time (nor never was) and this is coming from a 80+ year old. And my mother saw things better then anyone else, she was one of the only ones that would come to see her when she was in the home and my greatgrandmother thought she was trying to poison her, later apologized for her actions

Ex girlfreinds father

Manic depression. he would walk the halls in the house with head down, really quiet withdrawn and upon taking an anti depressants became immediatlly more cheerfull and realized he was debating scuicide and how wrong his path of thinking was

so if you think its all in thier mind, it is, its a chemical imbalance that certain medications can help with if not completlly cure. Im sure every instance is different cause the mind is such a complex thing and untill you experience this 1st hand you and tom cruise have no idea what your talking about even myself for as I dont have depression or paranoia, but I will take the advise of people who treat it and get the BEST results(degreed profesionals not herbal bullshit or hearsay) for the 2 people out of ten that a herbal remidy, vitamin K, or whatever helped,,, they would probably get the same effects from a placebo. Thats "in thier head" and im sure thats written somewhare in the form of a study

• 1 month later...

The Mission Impossible movies were all messed because it was just "James Bond" done with Tom Cruise.

None of these were in the spirit of the original show which was basically a government funded close-knit team of con-artists pulling off elaborate schemes with the intelligence of Sherlock Holmes and 100x the technical gusto and improv of the A-Team and Macguyver.

And proof that TC is a weenie, when making Top Gun (horrid movie BTW) he refused to take a ride in the F-14 because they wouldn't let him take the stick.  Go figure Tom, there is no  control column in the rear seat you idiot.

351853[/snapback]

This isn't the case. It was Val Kilmer who wouldn't take the free ride he was offered (every other member of the cast took it and loved it). If you get the Top Gun Special Edition DVD, they actually spend time talking about this in the interview (they had planned to suppliment their studio footage of footage of the actors shot actually in flight, but the resolution was too dark, as I recall). There is brief footage of TC actually in the backseat of the Tomcat. And the reason Val wouldn't take the ride wasn't a control issue, but rather he was just too scared to go up in one.

Knight, I take great respect at alot of the discussions we have on the jet forum, but I can't help but say you could've researched this one better. ;)

Yes it may or may not suck. Honestly its only feb. how about we do wait until it comes out?? I do want to see it, i like the movies if nothing more than just plain entertainment. So what they arent as smart or as spy like as they should be, I have tons of intellignet movies, if i am in the mood to watch one, i will watch one of those, or go rent one. But at that time i will be in the mood to see tom cruise in a movie directed by JJ Abrams. Hell you have all been saying xmen was going to suck because of brett ratner, but from what i have seen, heard, and read it looks like it will be entertaining. Let's just put it like this, would you rather watch this, of the Dukes of Hazzard 2? Its probably only a matter of time before that, or worse, Charlie's Angel 3. That's scary

oops looks like I was a little off on that one SL, must have had some bad intel. Still, that does not make me like TC anymore, I still think he is a raving nutjob. There is only one reason I would want to see this movie and they barely show her in the trailers, what's the deal with that, Sasha Alexander is a freaking hottie, show her.

• 2 months later...
this movie kicked ass, props to JJ abrahams.

397016[/snapback]

If that's the case then I might as well go see the movie myself but I don't see why some of you guys hate TC so much? Is he that irriating like he was labled last year for being the most annoying actor ever since he "jumped the couch" on Oprah?

there's a weird double standard when it comes to actors and directors. Directors can be pedophiles and rapists but are loved by audiences and critics who always say to judge the art, not the artist. Actors need to be role models and for some reason their personal lives are always taken into consideration when judging their work.

TC does decent work and I enjoy his movies, I'll probably see this one as well.

Edited by eugimon

this movie is one that requires you to turn your brain off while watching, still, it had it's moments, like all MI movies it over uses wire stunts and the whole fake mask gimmick, but hey, would it be a MI movie without those. :p

Surprisingly, it wasn't all that bad.

Yes, Cruise is a nut, and I could care less about his personal life or opinions.

But as for this movie, I have to admit: it was fairly entertaining.

I mean an MI movie with actual TEAMWORK?!!! What a shocker!

For a summer action flick, I'd say it's easily above average. And although it doesn't have the hotness that is Thandie Newton, this latest MI is a helluva lot better than MI2.

Saw it. Better than the 2nd movie but still wasn't quite there. Abrams did a good job with this even with Cruise...yuck. It felt like Mission: Impossible during the Vatican sequence...the rest was meh.

Well that's something. After the disaster that was MI:2 (with all due respect to John Woo, your Hong Kong action was brilliant), I figured I'd avoid MI:3 at all costs. But if you say it's at least a step up from the second film, I may give it a chance to satisfy the call of my action junkie persona :)

Yeah, a tiny little thing like what I mention in my sig is enough to turn me off of this movie.

Then again, each MI movie has Tom Cruise being thrown around in some physically impossible manner, simply because they think it looks "cool".

It looks stupid.

Very, very stupid.

397531[/snapback]

At least he wasn't squinting in the wind. That would have been a real deal breaker.

I thought it was rather entertaining. Sure there are plotholes and you really have to suspend your disbelief, but overall this was really well done. It's a good balance of action, comedy, and thriller. I would easily recommend this movie to anyone.

vinnie

Just got back from a 9:30 late show.

The film is typical Hollywood action fare but with an enjoyable baddy, some clever comedy, and several fun stunts/action sequences. Nothing altogether new or innovative that will make you praise the film as the next big thing, but it delivers as advertised and is best veiwed with your brain only half awake.

Comparing this third outing to the other Mission Impossible films, it's easily more action than spy thriller. It's a better action film than the original and can only be an improvement beyond the sequel. I enjoyed MI:3 more than the other MI movies, but the formula is a lot more tired now than when the first movie was released.

I'd give the film a 6 out of 10, with maybe one extra point if you're an action junkie feeling particularly desperate for a good gasoline explosion :)

saw it this afternoon with the girlfriend. Most enjoyable! Not every movie has to be perfectly "down to earth" with stuff... I think a lot of people are forgetting to suspend their belief of the real world when they watch a film like this.

Bonuses:

-Hot chicks everywhere. Sometimes with guns.

-Cool use of an armed (computer generated) Predator UAV drone

-Tom Cruise doing high-level calculus on a window with a grease pencil while holding a casual conversation

-Philip Seymour Hoffman as the calmest badguy to ever almost get thrown out of an airplane

Question and spoiler....

Did anyone else think it was a giant cop-out that one moment, Ethan (Cruise) was swinging/jumping to the building to get the "rabbit's foot" and the next thing you know "hey I've got it, here I come" (so to speak)... that was the only scene that really drew my ire, and I still didn't mind it so much.