Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire...

Mechamaniac

Harry Potter = Macross 7 = Gay

I don't get it.

Years ago I here these stories about some popular childrens book getting it's own movie.  There a big buzz I think who cares.  Now we have adults here talking ooh and awe about the latest movie.  Who chopped of your balls?

346616[/snapback]

Huh, almost like grown men talking about giant robots that transform?

I don't get it.

Years ago I here these stories about some popular childrens book getting it's own movie.  There a big buzz I think who cares.  Now we have adults here talking ooh and awe about the latest movie.  Who chopped of your balls?

346616[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to add to the rest here and say there was no need for this. I have no problem with mods expressing their opinion, but that was obvious flame-bait.

I don't get it.

346616[/snapback]

"You like fantasy? Oh, like that Harry Potter stuff?"

*nails on chalkboard*

Who asked you to butt in? If you don't like it, stay off the thread and move on. As a mod, you should know better.

346625[/snapback]

Jesus. Not the one you're thinking of. I'm talking about the other one who sells rugs in that empty lot behind Burger King.

Flame bait? Agent One's club. Please I was greater then he'll be. No it's simple confusion on the whole Harry Potter fad. Grown men talking about Robot I can understand. Most little boys go nuts for robots, war and killing. What kind of man buys his son a toy gun, sword or truck? A good one. What kind buys his son a magic wand? Why grown men are going gaga about something that isn't traditonal boy stuff is beyond me. Haven't I read or watch Harry Potter. Don't understand hub bub about it. Yet some here are clearly touchy on the issue. While I think the current Star Wars movies were lacking I could feel for those who kept defending it. What real man wouldn't have a soft spot for Star Wars but a kids story about boy wizard at wizard school? Isn't that for your sister or the kid next door whose cries at a drop of a hat?

On E's (talk) Soup, a poll was shown. Will you see the new Harry Potter film? 50% yes, 25% no, 25% which answer won't get me beat up.

*snip*

I actually enjoy watching Sex And The City in syndication. Now some guys might find that kind of faggy.

346741[/snapback]

Wow, I can't imagine any straight guy with a real libido thinking that show is "faggy" to watch. I've never seen so much female nudity on TV! Sure I mute most of it, but come on! :)

Edited by Mr March

If you don't understand, then why open your mouth and make obvious your ignorance? It's not simple confusion of a fad if your first words in the thread associates Harry Potter with gay, which, knowing you, was meant in a derogatory manner.

Maybe if you bothered to read the books, you would understand the "fad." No one here is touchy about Harry Potter being put down. I am just touchy about Harry Potter being put down by an ignorant fool.

When the first movie came out I never wanted to see it but did end up watching it anyways and I watched everyone since. Thought I never read the books, the movies were well made action/suspense-filled films.

No need to bash the Harry Potter fans, since they outnumber Macross fans. Come on, Big Giant Transforming Robots with a singing girl whose music stuns giant human aliens vs. magic kids in a wizard boarding school. They're both make-believe concepts targeted orginally for kids, no need to try and make Macross seemingly more cooler to be a fan of than Macross. I'm a Macross fan and I don't think it's better to be one than a Harry Potter fan, they're both just for fun. It's make believe stuff!

When the first movie came out I never wanted to see it but did end up watching it anyways and I watched everyone since. Thought I never read the books, the movies were well made action/suspense-filled films.

346835[/snapback]

gotta agree... I saw the first one for free and enjoyed it. It's a good movie to take my niece and nephews to and I don't have to wrry about knocking out or anything. Smartly made and no fast or furious feeling... hehe.

My favorite scene in this one was the dragon trying to stay up on the roof. That was pretty good.

I will wholeheartedly admit that I held the same opinion as Roy....before I saw the first film. Up until that point, I had always dismissed them as "kids books". But a friend of mine told me I had to see the movie, so I went.

What can I say?, the first movie was fantastic, even for a non-fan of the series. It transported you into that world in a way few movies have ever done. It made me want to read the books. And I read all of them (up until book 4 had been released at that time) within two weeks. I've been a fan ever since because it's just a damn good story.

Whether they were originally intended for children is irrelevant. 50 years from now, when we're all old geezers drooling over our keyboards, (and Roy is still modding MW :lol: ) these books will have reached Lord of the Rings status. I'm not insulting LOTR in saying that, because I am a fan of both series. However, a good story will stand the test of time, and when you boil it down, this one is still your basic good vs evil with the fate of the world hanging on the shoulders of an underdog. It's been told a million times before. Bottom line, I'd rather have my kids watching Anime, and reading Harry Potter than be the "cool" kids going out to see the 50 Cent movie.

I don't get it.

346616[/snapback]

Who asked you to butt in? If you don't like it, stay off the thread and move on. As a mod, you should know better.

346625[/snapback]

Jesus. Not the one you're thinking of. I'm talking about the other one who sells rugs in that empty lot behind Burger King.

Flame bait? Agent One's club. Please I was greater then he'll be. No it's simple confusion on the whole Harry Potter fad. Grown men talking about Robot I can understand. Most little boys go nuts for robots, war and killing. What kind of man buys his son a toy gun, sword or truck? A good one. What kind buys his son a magic wand? Why grown men are going gaga about something that isn't traditonal boy stuff is beyond me. Haven't I read or watch Harry Potter. Don't understand hub bub about it. Yet some here are clearly touchy on the issue. While I think the current Star Wars movies were lacking I could feel for those who kept defending it. What real man wouldn't have a soft spot for Star Wars but a kids story about boy wizard at wizard school? Isn't that for your sister or the kid next door whose cries at a drop of a hat?

On E's (talk) Soup, a poll was shown. Will you see the new Harry Potter film? 50% yes, 25% no, 25% which answer won't get me beat up.

346727[/snapback]

Thanks for your intelligent and constructive arguments Agent Two, but I find A1’s bashing to be more colorful and original. Nevertheless, you make a fantastic job keeping the boards clean of Stealth threads, so of you go.

Looking forward to this movie. I didn’t like the first two much; I felt that a lot of the school aspects that were in the books got lost (this being one of the things I really like about the books). I just loved the idea of going to school and living in a big castle full of people your age at the same time. Good old school years :D .

The third one surprised me because of the sift in mood. The castle teleported to Scotland or something: lots of mountains and old stones in comparison to the grassy planes in the first two. The backgrounds got a bit repetitive though.

It’s always interesting to see how a movie based on a book turns out, specially in this case, where we have a series of books and different directors. Seeing how they cut corners and patched story arcs up to make it fit two hour and a half is very instructive if your interesting in writing or movies. I remember going “why did they have to cut this and waste time on that?†or “thank god they chopped this and good going explaining that!â€.

Anyways, if you liked the movies, read the books (you’ll appreciate or understand better some of the little things). The third book is a good jumping on point.

Looking forward to this movie. I didn’t like the first two much; I felt that a lot of the school aspects that were in the books got lost (this being one of the things I really like about the books). I just loved the idea of going to school and living in a big castle full of people your age at the same time. Good old school years  :D .

Look for the school aspect even less in this film. I enjoy the school aspect of the books and films too, and for the same reason. However, as the story gets darker, and more serious, the school really only serves as a device to get all the principal characters together in the same place. If you've read book 6, then I'm sure it will

come as no shock to you what Harry plans to do in book 7.

The third one surprised me because of the sift in mood. The castle teleported to Scotland or something: lots of mountains and old stones in comparison to the grassy planes in the first two. The backgrounds got a bit repetitive though.

I was pissed about that at first. Then I went back, and read POA again, and the movie was correct as to the location of Hagrid's cabin etc. Many people have surmised that the location of Hogwarts is indeed Scotland given the length of time they are on the train, and the climate etc. I can tell you from personal experience (because I have been there) that the scenery they use for the area surrounding Hogwarts is from Glenfinnan, Scotland on the shores of Loch Shiel. I was there on my honeymoon years ago, and I actually took a picture of the same curving stone railway bridge featured in movies 3 and 4. Additionally, Glenfinnan has a 19th century rail station that was used for the Hogsmeade station set, and local kids were dressed in Hogwarts uniforms for filming of the movies. Highlander fans will recognize Glenfinnan and Loch Shiel as well B))

Considering how many things go on in that fat book, I’m not expecting more than a Mad-Eye class :p

Rowling didn’t even mentioned Halloween in the last book. Better to cut on the repetitive stuff that doesn’t help advance the big plot. The 7th book will be a weird read though.

The Scottish backdrop was really nice, gave the castle a more needed ancient flair. The thing I didn’t like was that the backgrounds tended to make the images look cramped, there wasn’t much air space for the picture to breath. This made things look smaller IMO.

Need to go to Scotland though.

Thanks, I kept telling my wife and son that was the location used because I recognized it from Highlander.

Now I've got someone else saying the same thing!

:D

346943[/snapback]

No prob, and that is 100% bonafide fact since I have been there firsthand.

Here's more proof....

http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/glenfinnan.html

And theres a certain ease with audiences where the hero isn't tall, strong and perfect. Lets not kid ourselves, look at why Star Trek is so insanely popular with the socially disenfranchised ( i.e. people that most hot chicks do not want behind them while drunk and straddled over a pool table) In Star Trek, its ok to be different. It makes you special.

Yeah but Trek fans so can you see a mile away cause they've got nerd written all over them. A lot of Potter-Heads look normal and that scary! I mean you know with a Trek fan so can keep their Trek talk under control (or they won't shut up about it) A person might surprize you about being a Potter fan and will blab and blab about their hoggentialwarts to you. It's like the whole world is turned upside down and it's frighting!

If you don't understand, then why open your mouth and make obvious your ignorance? It's not simple confusion of a fad if your first words in the thread associates Harry Potter with gay, which, knowing you, was meant in a derogatory manner.

Maybe if you bothered to read the books, you would understand the "fad." No one here is touchy about Harry Potter being put down. I am just touchy about Harry Potter being put down by an ignorant fool.

Fat or Ugly switch one are you? Christ it friggin Harry Potter I make a joke about it and my lack of getting the fad and you get your panties in a twist.

I will wholeheartedly admit that I held the same opinion as Roy That's the Royight way to think!

....before I saw the first film.

What something can defeat my brainwashing?

Thanks for your intelligent and constructive arguments Agent Two, but I find A1’s bashing to be more colorful and original. Nevertheless, you make a fantastic job keeping the boards clean of Stealth threads, so of you go.

Please do you even see Agent One here? He lacks the balls to talk about Potter. Part of my lack of wanting to get Potterized is mainly general dislike of stuff that is hyped. If the mass buy the hype then it might just be hype. Another I don't get is why so many are senitive about it? Instead of hearing people say, "Yeah Harry Potter is based on Kids books. Go ahead make fun I'll enjoy it anyways" I'm hearing, "Don't you dare make fun of Harry Potter. It hurts my feelings" That sorta of reaction still surprizes me.

Ok Agent Two, if it makes you happy:

"Yeah Harry Potter is based on Kids books. Go ahead make fun I'll enjoy it anyways" (But please, be original and funny next time).

You sound so bitter… You need to cheer up man!! Don’t let hype suck away your happiness!!

Fat or Ugly switch one are you?  Christ it friggin Harry Potter I make a joke about it and my lack of getting the fad and you get your panties in a twist.

346951[/snapback]

There's a way to ask and then there's a way to ask while making yourself look stupid. Guess which way you chose.

You're welcome to make fun of it all you want, but make fun after you have some knowledge about the subject matter at least. What you probably wanted to make fun of was the "fad," since you obviously don't know anything about Harry Potter for your uneducated ramblings to hold much weight.

If Harry Potter encourages more kids (or even adults) to read, then I'm all for the books. Kids these days need to read more rather than be glued to console/computer games or the TV all the time.

What I can't grasp is why when the books are so obviously written for the teen and pre-teen age group, are they so popular with adults?

My parents always encouraged me to read and from the age of about 9 I got seriously into books and grew up with authors like Heinlein, Harry Harrison, Tolkien, Moorcock, Frank Herbert, James Herbert, Damon Knight, Stephen Donaldson, Ray Bradbury, Philip K Dick, Stephen King and many others. To this day I still go through about a book a week and it's rare that you will catch me without a paperback book stuck in the back pocket of my jeans.

Now, I've tried to read the first Harry Potter book and got about 50 pages into it, but just could not force myself to continue. Sorry, I just found it too juvenile. I've also rented the first two movies to watch with my wife and found them to be nothing really special. Maybe Potter is something you have got to be really into, but I just don't see the attraction myself.

Even thinking back to those long ago days of my teen or pre-teen years, I can't see myself as liking the Potter books. In those angsty years, I would much rather have stuck with Moorcocks' Eternal Champion books, especially the Elric series or the Thomas Covenant books.

It just seems to me that people around the world need to remember that there are thousands of other authors besides JK Rowling and millions of other books to read. If the popular press were to be believed Rowling's books are the only books in existence. At least that's what it seems like to me.

But like I said at the start of my post, if the books get more people reading who would not otherwise, then more power to them. Hopeully, their new found enjoyment of reading will lead them onto other better (IMO) books.

Graham

There's a way to ask and then there's a way to ask while making yourself look stupid. Guess which way you chose.

You're welcome to make fun of it all you want, but make fun after you have some knowledge about the subject matter at least. What you probably wanted to make fun of was the "fad," since you obviously don't know anything about Harry Potter for your uneducated ramblings to hold much weight.

Okay I'll speak slowly so you can understand. I'm just messing with adult fans that have taken to these books. I don't think reading all the books, watching the movies buying all the cross promotions to required to poke fun at a fad. Am I speaking a bunch of uneducated rambling? Yeah stupid! I am! I think that's the point. Have I've been attempting anything else in these topic but to look stupid? By getting so worked up by my unducated, stupid rambling your well kinda looking stupid.

Harry Potter is banned from my church so I cannot even touch it.

Hope you guys have fun with the movie.

347219[/snapback]

You mean it's banned from possessing the book inside the church grounds? Or they ban members from possessing the book anyware, including their own homes? if the latter, I didn't know that churches had that sort of legal authority?

Do they have a list of banned books, or worse a list of approved books as well?

And what about anime, movies, TV shows are some banned as well?

What century is this?

I wonder what your Church would think about the Michael Moorcock Elric books I used to read as a 12 year old, where the main character had a soul stealing demon sword :p Or what about my Mum's Dennis Wheatley's horror novels about Satanism and witchcraft that I also read as a kid :lol: ?

Yes, I know this is skirting dangerously closing to a discussion on religion, which we are not supposed to do, but hearing about that sort of thing really gets my blood boiling.

Graham

(who only ever goes near a church if I have to for a wedding or funeral)

Guest Bromgrev

I read the first Harry Potter book because a friend's 7-year old kid thought I was missing out and lent me his copy. I didn't enjoy it one whit and felt robbed of precious hours of my life, which was a bad thing.

However, the kid in question was subsequently stimulated to borrow my Lord of the Rings books and read them in six weeks, which was a definite good thing.

I was in a church once and got really bored, which was bad thing.

On the other hand, I was mildly amused by the bright orange price stickers on the soles of the groom's new shoes, which were painfully obvious to the entire congregation while he knelt before the altar for a good 45 minutes (or was it 5 hours? seemed like it), and that was a good thing.

Harry Potter. Churches. There's good and bad in 'em all. ;)

Edited by Bromgrev

Harry Potter. Churches. There's good and bad in 'em all.

Good advice.

Okay Harry Potter is something that parents can enjoy with their childern. Fine I'll accept that. I still find it funny that bunch of adults without the childern excuse are really into it as well.

I still can't buy the fact that some of you have gotten so worked up over it to the point they easily offended by some my carely stupid comments. What? What is it that is getting so worked up? Its just Harry Potter! Is Harry Potter that important?

Is a 20 year old cartoon about transforming planes and giant blue aliens that important? None of this is actually, which makes arguing about it even more pathetic. Now there's nothing wrong at all about opinions, even strong ones, but arguing about stuff like this is a big waste of time.

I saw it and oh man, I loved it. It was alot more dramatic and suspenseful than the others, but a bit rushed (not the director's fault tho...what else is he gonna do with a bazillion page book?)

And besides, Emma Watson's only getting more attractive. (at 16, I'm allowed to say that) :D She just needs a tad touch of eyebrow work.

I saw the movie and it was wonderful! Best in the series. I'll admit to thinking the series was for kids, my fiance was the one who got me into it. She took me to see the first two movies and well after the second movie I had to find out what happend next so I got the third book and the rest is Harry Potter geekiness heaven.

I wonder if this church that banned Harry Potter is the same Church (notice the capital letters to demonstrate what I am talking about) that has its priests fondling alter boys. Just a thought in regards to a hypocritical double standard.

When it comes to religious types who can even begin to understand their actions. This church banned Harry Potter because of what, now? Did they ban the Lord of the Rings as well? To a layman, those two franchises are one and the same...

When it comes to religious types who can even begin to understand their actions.  This church banned Harry Potter because of what, now?  Did they ban the Lord of the Rings as well?  To a layman, those two franchises are one and the same...

347741[/snapback]

Oh no my friend, you should read the convoluted reason behind that one! Apparently, the Catholic church had some big meeting on Tolkien when Rings was published. The theological onslaught that followed can only be described as bewildering to a mind of reason. I wish I still had the link that discussed it. To say this "discussion" was a tragic exercise in futile fallacy is to speak of it positively.

I'm gonna search a bit on the net...