The Xbox 360 Thread!

While this thread is back up, I'll comment that I visited my brother a few weeks ago, and his 360 is really quiet. So I bought a new one about 3 weeks ago. Quieter than the previous one, but not nearly as quiet as my brother's. Barely livable, but we'll see how long it lasts-- Oblivion "updated" my 360 (the oblivion disc itself, the 360 has never been online) and ever since that happened, DOA 4 stutters at a certain spot in the opening.

As I will soon approach the point of "can't do hassle-free return to Best Buy" I might get an extended warranty.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night coming to Xbox Live Arcade!

I almost had to check the date to make sure this wasn't just some cruel April Fool's thing, but nope, it's still August.  It really looks like the 360 is starting to come in on it's own, with some good new games and some kick-ass retro stuff turning up on XBLA.

422545[/snapback]

Ironically my PS1 copy of SOTN was one of the games I traded off to pay for my 360 and my inititial batch of games! :p (Still have my Saturn version, though)

I'll probably download this puppy so I can have the game in English again (bad voice acting and all).

"You steal men's souls. And make them your slaves!"

For what it's worth, the famous dubbing job is because it was a last-minute effort.

Konami'd been telling them all through localization that they didn't need to dub it and the japanese voices would be fine, because everything had text attached.

Then while they were finalizing everything to ship it off to SCEA for approval, they said "Oh yeah, you guys need to dub this into english," and they had to whip up some voice clips in a hurry.

The sad part is that a last-minute effort came out better than probably 90% of all video game dub jobs up to that point.

Got my "new" 360 back yesterday. :) I say "new" because it was manufactured back in February and based off of what I was told, it's typical for refurnished systems to be sent out to people with damaged systems. Since this is a different system, I won't be able to play stuff I paid for with my points (ie. Geometry Wars, some of the COD2 expansions maps) if I don't have a signal with Xbox Live, but the situation should hopefully be squared away tonight.

I did download SFII' Hyper Fighting last night My main quip is that the current 360 controller is difficult to use with it. But other then that, I'm lovin' it. :)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night coming to Xbox Live Arcade!

I almost had to check the date to make sure this wasn't just some cruel April Fool's thing, but nope, it's still August.  It really looks like the 360 is starting to come in on it's own, with some good new games and some kick-ass retro stuff turning up on XBLA.

422545[/snapback]

Ironically my PS1 copy of SOTN was one of the games I traded off to pay for my 360 and my inititial batch of games! :p (Still have my Saturn version, though) I got to give some major props to Konami for some of the stuff they are bringing to Live Arcade (including the arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra). I'll probably download this puppy so I can have the game in English again (bad voice acting and all).

422590[/snapback]

I was hoping that it would have been the Saturn version so that we could get the extra levels and a playable Maria. But I guess it would have been more difficult to emulate the Saturn and not worth the effort since I can't see many Saturn-exclusives appearing on XBLA.

I wonder if you'll be downloading the full ISO, a stripped down ISO (streaming audio replaced with synthesized audio), or a heavily compressed ISO. If they're full ISO's, depending on how many are released for XBLA, how long till you fill the 360 hard drive?

Edited by TheLoneWolf

I was hoping that it would have been the Saturn version so that we could get the extra levels and a playable Maria.  But I guess it would have been more difficult to emulate the Saturn and not worth the effort since I can't see many Saturn-exclusives appearing on XBLA.

The Saturn version had issues of it's own, though. It was a pretty bad port, even if they DID go in and add some things(including dash boots so Alucard can run in human form).

At least with it running off a hard drive most of the load times should be gone...

Besides, the 360 pad matches the PS layout. The control changes for the Saturn version would've made it play very odd.

I wonder if you'll be downloading the full ISO, a stripped down ISO (streaming audio replaced with synthesized audio), or a heavily compressed ISO.  If they're full ISO's, depending on how many are released for XBLA, how long till you fill the 360 hard drive?

My bet is compression, and they decompress the disk image at run time.

They COULD use synthesis(they have enough sample RAM that they could meet, or even exceed, the sound quality of the original music that way), but they'd have to rescore the game. Becomes a lot more work than it's worth.

Especially given SotN has a pretty good soundtrack and people probably won't take kindly to a new one unless it matches the original so closely they can't tell the diffrence.

Ya I think I'll be joining the Xbox 360 club soon. There's finally some games coming out that I like, namely Tenchu. Dead Rising looks cool too.

PS3 is too expensive and I don't like having Blu-ray forced on me. The Wii, while probably fun for little bit, might end up being too much of a gimmick for me. My nephew will probably buy a Wii, so I can check his out.

Dead Rising is actually so far early on an interesting game. First 15 minutes you're in a helicopter and taking photographs, the more stuff you got going on in the photos the more points you gain.

There's an excellent shot I took of this woman on a roof top shooting some zombies but one of them tackles her, I got the tackle as she's on the edge of the roof and then the big SPLAT!

Then in the mall when the doors cave in I went "Wha the hell why not" and got a nice centered photo of all the zombies running at me......I got a "PERFECT" score on it with BIG points before one of the zombies came chargin at me to kill me.

I ended up ditching everyone to save my own ass.

lol love their disclaimer on the box "This is not a game rendition of Dawn of the Dead" Nope, cause we have a photographer stuck in a mall! BIG DIFFERENCE! Hah.....I'll play it in a lil bit....just subtitles are a bit hard to see during game play, really fuzzy.

• 1 month later...

Finally broke 2000 achievement points! But considering our own Mike/Pharohman is at 4000, I guess that isn't too big an accomplishment! :p

Right now I've pretty much opened up all the achievements for Konami's Time Pilot and Scramble and I'm doing pretty good with Frogger. Right now I'm in the top 300 Scramble players and the top 1000 Frogger players in the world! :D

Also have been playing a lot of Dead or Alive 4 in recent days trying to open up all costumes and beat the story mode. It's funny that I play the single player mode pretty well, but get my @$$ handed to me online! :p Guess I just need more practice... I win the majority of matches I play of Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting on Xbox Live, but then again I've been playing Street Fighter II for over 15 years! :D I hoped to finally get to Ghost Recon AW very soon too after not touching it since March.

I know the 360 games I mentioned came out earlier in the year, but I was so addicted to Call of Duty 2 and Geometry Wars Evolved that I haven't played much of anything else! :D But when I get COD3 and Gears of War, I plan on playing those right off the bat.

when do you think we will see the first price drop for the console?

From what I've been reading, there won't be a price cut, but it looks like a pack in special might take place in which you get a game basically for free. It's possible that a $50 to $100 price cut could happen to combat the Wii and the PS3 (a $50 price cut would put the Core 360 at the same price as what Nintendo is launch the Wii for), but I think the best chance for a price cut will come next spring. I assume Microsoft is still taking a loss for each 360.

Dead Rising is actually so far early on an interesting game. First 15 minutes you're in a helicopter and taking photographs, the more stuff you got going on in the photos the more points you gain.

There's an excellent shot I took of this woman on a roof top shooting some zombies but one of them tackles her, I got the tackle as she's on the edge of the roof and then the big SPLAT!

Then in the mall when the doors cave in I went "Wha the hell why not" and got a nice centered photo of all the zombies running at me......I got a "PERFECT" score on it with BIG points before one of the zombies came chargin at me to kill me.

I ended up ditching everyone to save my own ass.

:lol:

I actually like this game, just got it last week and have been playing it. Finally, I can justify the 360 purchase, because since we got this thing, all we've been playing is Halo 2 online. We've bought other games, DOA, GRAW, PREY, PERFECT DARK, but all we end up doing is going back to Halo 2 online.

Now, Halo 2 what? It's zombie time.

oh yeah,

GT=Sarge051

I only play Halo 2 online, and will get back to it when I've had enough zombie slicing...oh, for an infinite use katana....

Edited by Chowser

Finally got a 360.

Playing Chromehounds,PGR3,Ridge Racer 6 and Street Fighter II HF.

GT=MilkManX

Milk, I'll send you a friend invite when I get home tonight. Funny thing is I just picked up RR6 for the second time last week. Got it at launch, but I traded it and Perfect Dark off as part of a trade in special at Gamespot back in the spring (basically I got $30 for it). But when it finally came down to $20, figured it was time to add it back to the collection again. Basically I got to keep RR6 and make $10 off of it.

I know you're 2D fighting fan so hopefully we go a few rounds at SFII. :)

BTW, make sure to get a Nyoko Intercooler unless your room is cold to begin with and/or you have a good fan blowing directly on it. Got the Intercooler after my first 360 went bad back in July.

Edited by Apollo Leader

:lol:

I actually like this game, just got it last week and have been playing it. Finally, I can justify the 360 purchase, because since we got this thing, all we've been playing is Halo 2 online. We've bought other games, DOA, GRAW, PREY, PERFECT DARK, but all we end up doing is going back to Halo 2 online.

Now, Halo 2 what? It's zombie time.

oh yeah,

GT=Sarge051

I only play Halo 2 online, and will get back to it when I've had enough zombie slicing...oh, for an infinite use katana....

To this day, Halo 2 remains the number one online game on the 360. Not surprising since there are like 7 million plus copies of the game out there and Call of Duty 2 (the most popular 360 game online during the past year) just recently became the first 360 game to break 1 million sold.

My GT is "Chitty Zane".

I mostly play Chromehounds and GRAW. I've got over 60 hours logged into the Chromehounds online server and I'm still learning new stuff about that game :D Its probably the best title out right now (if you're into that kind of thing).

and GRAW I'll play just to mix up my FPS action if I get a little burned out on 'Hounds.

I've also got N3 which is OK and I also play lots of Oblivion. I love that game but the HUD is burning my plasma a little :(

I've owned Prey which was crazy at first but I wasn't able to stick with it and Bomberman Online which was a freakin joke.

my next game might have to be Just Cause because the demo was freakin insane.

Some Xbox 360 news from Japan(TGS is this weekend)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157930.html

The publisher unveiled Japanese release plans for a number of its peripherals, including the HD-DVD add-on, which will retail for about $177 in Japan when it is released on November 22.

Ah, something everybody wants to know more about: the HD-DVD add-on. It connects with a USB, as we know, and supports 1080p. Mr. Kawanaka from the hardware division is now leading a live demo of the peripheral, which seems to integrate seamlessly with the 360 dashboard. Insert an HD-DVD disc, see an option to play it at the bottom of the screen, just like normal.

For the 10 or 20 people who have 1080p HDTVs

Microsoft confirms 1080p support for 360

Next-gen console to receive ability to output games and movies in better resolution with upcoming system software update.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157933.html

Edited by dejr8bud

Problem with 360.

I know MS had to replace a bunch of cords with the original older Xboxes, but I have a 2nd release Xbox (made in Feb. 06) and I just got home from school and was putting it back together. I noticed that on the power cord, where it goes into the console, it looks like the rubber/plastic got burned.

anyone else have this problem?

Problem with 360.

I know MS had to replace a bunch of cords with the original older Xboxes, but I have a 2nd release Xbox (made in Feb. 06) and I just got home from school and was putting it back together. I noticed that on the power cord, where it goes into the console, it looks like the rubber/plastic got burned.

anyone else have this problem?

Are you talking about the 360 or the original Xbox?

So who else is getting PSU? I know Oct24th you wont be seeing me anywhere else but on PSU. :ph34r:

Phantasy Star Universe? Maybe if it were 5 to 10 years ago when I was a lot more into video game RPG's.

Right now the next two big 360 games on my radar would be Gears of War and Call of Duty 3. Might get Chromehounds if I trade in some stuff soon.

The 360. 2nd release (made in Feb. 2006)

At the very least call or e-mail Microsfot so at least they know about your case. Otherwise the meltdown you've described is the very first time I have heard anything like that.

I nabbed a GOTY edition of Call of Duty 2 used. Holy crap this game is fun. Waiting on my Ebay wins of Perfect Dark Zero and DOA4 to show up. I love buying a system after the first year and nabbing up the bargains.

I nabbed a GOTY edition of Call of Duty 2 used. Holy crap this game is fun. Waiting on my Ebay wins of Perfect Dark Zero and DOA4 to show up. I love buying a system after the first year and nabbing up the bargains.

Noticed you were playing COD2 last night. ;) Great game for the 360. Probably 75% of my time on the 360 since I got it in November has been playing this game (especially online). But since I have played the game into the ground and got all its achievement points months ago, I've been thinking of trading it off while the game can still get a decent penny. But as soon as the game comes down to $20, I'll probably buy it again. Still making up my mind,though...

DOA4 is pretty solid too though I hate getting my @$$ handed to me online! :p