The Xbox 360 Thread!

As JBO pointed out, they will look worse. A tube will mask all the low res stuff so it will be much harder to see flaws. Main problem with tubes are the weight and size once you start going past 30".

That said, SD on a plasma or LCD...you kinda get used to it...but when things show in HD, it's certainly a night and day difference, and pic quality is way above SD.

Edited by Gaijin

I have a 30" tube and that sucker is heavy and huge. Waiting for a the prices to come do a bit more before I get something a little bigger. 42" DLP most likely.

I'm also watching DishnetworkHD via HDMI and SD channels are....meh. Kinda grainy and fuzzy. I imagine they'll look worse on a bigger screen. HD stuff looks great though.

I game on a 43" Pioneer plasma and I love it.

I took the necessary precautions during the break-in period so burn-in is not a concern.

my electric bill is the same as it always was (I have the display set to a level 1 power save) and theres no fan noise or heat. my set actually has a seperate "media receiver" box that all the A/V cables go into and the fan for the set is inside that and most of the heat comes from that device and it sits on a shelf in my entertainment center so I've got no complaints about either issue.

the highest resolution it displays is 1080i but thats perfect for me and my Xbox360. most, I repeat MOST PS3 games will NOT play in 1080p ever or for a very long time so the 1080p thing is just a numbers game (Xbox360 doesn't do it but we will etc.) because they're just too expensive to produce. and most people can't afford a native 1080p set so like I said its just a stupid numbers game. kinda like Sony advertising a Walkman dock that mounts perfectly in a Ferrari's cup holder (big deal, right?).

I looked around a lot too before I bought this set and compared to the image quality of LCDs the plasma blew them all away. another determining factor for me was the great price I got on it because Pioneer was beginning to release their new models. and now those new models are going for the same reduced price I got my TV for because Pio cut a bunch of costs this year. no more 43", no more media receiver, detachable speakers etc. so they sell for a lot cheaper than they used to.

here's a pic:

IPB Image

Edited by Poonman

I have a 30" tube and that sucker is heavy and huge.

I have TWO 32" tubes. A Sony flatscreen TV from fairly recent, and a Mitsubishi monitor from the 90s(official max res of 800*600, but it makes a damn good s-video display).

The Sony needs me to dig into the service menu and adjust it. It's as close to perfect as I can get it with the official end-user controls.

The Mitsubishi just has aged phosphers, so the contrast level is just a hair low.

Sony carries the nickname of Herniator. Mitsubishi = Screenzilla.

Edited by JB0

Er..yeah? The only precaution to prevent burn-in, that I know of is, in the short term, don't leave still images on the screen, and in the long term...keep it turned off and never use it.

if you go to avsforum.com they can give you a lot more info on burn-in prevention but basically for the first 100 hours of use (you can track how long you've been using your display by accessing the service menu on most TVs) avoid viewing any kind of stuff that has still images like video games or ESPN logos and stuff and bring your contrast down to around 75%. if you do play games flip the channel over to the TV input every 20 mins. or so and if you watch stuff on TV with still images during the break-in period just the change channel for a few minutes every 20 or so.

fresh, new pixels are the most susceptible to burn-in so once you pass the 100-200 hour mark your TV will be fine. some TVs automatically "move" the pixels around to keep them from getting burned and this is something you can't even see with your eye and some TVs like Samsungs have a "white wash" feature you can turn on that displays a white screen for a few minutes to reduce burn-in.

burn-in is what happens when the phosperous gas inside each pixel gets prematurely "burned up" or over used by extreme contrast i.e. a white ESPN logo against a black background. the pixels that are illuminating the white logo are fully lit and the pixles that are right next to it that are displaying the black field are not so the white ones get "used up" faster and thats when you get image retention.

but seriously, most modern plasmas don't have any problems with this. having a little temporary image retention on a plasma screen is a million times better than getting a dead pixel on an LCD panel. that just sucks.

my Pioneer even has a "game" video setting that automatically reduces the contrast, color and image filters that I leave set on my game channel so I don't have to worry about any kind of burn-in at all.

Edited by Poonman

The trailer for Halo Wars because I don't recall seeing it here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=3260

There ya go Halo fans...the universe continues past 3. :)

I posted all this news and excitement back on page 32:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...6743&st=620

:)

Besides the Halo Wars RTS, Peter Jackson will also be involved with a Halo universe based game (besides the Halo movie he is producing).

any word on what type of Halo Universe game Peter Jackson is working on? I recently just got back into Halo, and I am very psyched about Halo 3, and I have also gotten into the books too...It seems I cant get enough of it.

Twich

any word on what type of Halo Universe game Peter Jackson is working on? I recently just got back into Halo, and I am very psyched about Halo 3, and I have also gotten into the books too...It seems I cant get enough of it.

Twich

The game is way early in the development process to know for sure what kind of game or content will be in it. The thing to know is that more Halo goodness is on its way even if Master Chief's story may end with Halo 3.

Ah, RTSs really aren't my thing. Come to think of it, I don't think Halo is. The story was interesting enough, and I think that the Halo games are good, but not as amazingly good as everyone makes them out to be.

Now, on the other hand, anything Bioware touches is gold. I swear, they could release a game with a plain white cover that says "New Bioware Game" in plain black font, and I would preorder the damn thing. So the 360 game I'm most excited for is, hands down, Mass Effect (although Lost Planet, if it turns out as good as the E3 demo, is also up there).

Anyone see anything wrong with this pic? :

IPB Image

It's from the Burger King 360 game Sneak King where, "players can step into the King's royal shoes and use cunning stealth to sneak up behind unsuspecting people and bestow them with a delicious meal."

:lol: Delicous Meal....creeeeeepy.

I plan on getting all three Burger King games, because even if the games suck, the low prices make it worthwhile just for the cheese factor.

Too bad they're not going to have acheivements, though.

As for UMK3, I might buy it, I might not. Isn't Symphony of the Night also supposed to be out around November on XBLA? I'd much rather buy that, but then again, that'll probably end up delayed.

I plan on getting all three Burger King games, because even if the games suck, the low prices make it worthwhile just for the cheese factor.

Too bad they're not going to have acheivements, though.

As for UMK3, I might buy it, I might not. Isn't Symphony of the Night also supposed to be out around November on XBLA? I'd much rather buy that, but then again, that'll probably end up delayed.

I think Symphony is slated for early 2007.

Based off of what is on xbox.com, I suspect that Contra will be out in the next few weeks. Remember this is arcade Contra, NOT the NES version. :)

i was just wondering if there were any cool modifications out there for the 360, has any one tried to modify if for a conventional hard drive use. i remember being at fry's electronics and came across a book detailing how to hack the old xbox and add a keyboard and use it like a regular computer. i think there were other uses as well. has anything come up for the 360? just how important is the hard drive for the system? i'm not a hard core gamer, so i was wondering how much space a 360 game takes up on the memory. thanks

i was just wondering if there were any cool modifications out there for the 360, has any one tried to modify if for a conventional hard drive use. i remember being at fry's electronics and came across a book detailing how to hack the old xbox and add a keyboard and use it like a regular computer. i think there were other uses as well. has anything come up for the 360? just how important is the hard drive for the system? i'm not a hard core gamer, so i was wondering how much space a 360 game takes up on the memory. thanks

Here's probably just what you're looking for and GameStop carries it:

Xsata Xbox 360 Data Transfer Kit.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Wish they would put UMK3 on a disc and sell it in a store. I'm not sanguine on buying XBA games

The Burger King games sound hilarious.