The Xbox 360 Thread!

UMK3 went back up over night and is now available for download. :)

I've already opened up like half of the achiements and have played a bunch of rounds on XBL. First time was a 4 way tournament set up. One or more of the guys had slow connections and the game lagged horribly. I then went and did some regular players match against a guy with a solid connection. We must have played about two dozen rounds. The game played flawlessly all rounds with out any lag. The key is that both people need to have solid connections.

Lots of fun and definitely recommended those who love Mortal Kombat and just some fast frantic action. :)

you guys downloaded the 720p Gear of War trailer yet?

probably one of the best I've ever seen for a game. my only complaint is that its so short B))

Downloaded the 480p version last night. but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet. Just two weeks to Emergence Day and also the release of Call of Duty 3... looks like the next few months will be pretty tied up. B))

New pictures of Halo 3! Some pictures from a few pages of the Swedish gaming magazine Level have gotten out on to the Interent. They have a big article on Halo 3 and there are a fair number of pictures in it. I wonder if EGM will be showing the same content in its Halo issue in a few weeks?

just in case they're taken down, here they are. :)

post-342-1161974990_thumb.jpg

post-342-1161975001_thumb.jpg

post-342-1161975014_thumb.jpg

post-342-1161975025_thumb.jpg

post-342-1161975039_thumb.jpg

post-342-1161975048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

I never understood people who complain about Halo... that whole universe is just so damn cool...

whats there not to like? :D

Agreed...but...some people aren't into FPS's...

I can take 'em or leave 'em. I liked Halo for what it was but don't really get into FPS's as much as some.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Gaijin

I never understood people who complain about Halo... that whole universe is just so damn cool...

A year's worth of Halo 2 LAN parties made an Xbox convert out of me. :D Last fall I was originally going to get a PS3 and get an original Xbox just so I could play Halo 1 and 2. But after realizing that if I went with the 360, not only could I get Halo 1 and 2, but of course I could get Halo 3 and what other goodies would be coming out in the years ahead. Even after having my first 360 going kaput a few months ago, I'm still glad I went with this system and I have had some of the most fun I have ever had with a game console.

Back on subject, Bungie is not too happy about the magazine scans getting out on the Internet, but they are admitting that the pics are legit. :) Can't wait to see EGM's article. :)

http://www.bungie.net/News/Story.aspx?link=h3scans

Hope they keep the Man Cannon name to one of the weapons. I can just see it now:

Why play with the Wii when you can play with the Man Cannon? :lol:

Edited by Apollo Leader

EGM Halo 3 article.

With the competing magazine article spreading like wild fire, EGM/1up are confirming some of the Halo 3 news tidbits which also appears in its 17 page spread.

As for the "Man Cannon", looks like it might be some sort of teleportation/jump enhancing machine, but still the name is awesome. :D

Halo is fantastic. One of the best new console franchises to come out in years. Don't worry about the haters. Halo's popularity ensures us fans will enjoy lots more. :)

yeah I was really happy to see that they've expanded it with Halo Wars and the new Peter Jackson game.

some franchises get played out when they're expanded and taken in new directions but I've got a good feeling about the new Halo stuff.

Fall update tomorrow.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12117/Xbox-3...date-Announced/

Expanded HD Display and Video Playback Options

* With 1080p resolution, gamers now have the ability to enjoy both game and video content in the best HD resolution currently available.

* Expanded video playback options increase the ways gamers can enjoy video content on Xbox 360. It is now possible to stream WMV video from a Windows PC running Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Connect.

* Gamers can now play video files from data CDs and DVDs, as well as from storage devices like USB 2.0 flash drives and Xbox 360 Memory Units.

* Xbox 360 will support 50hz HDTV display modes, providing viewers greater choice in how they watch DVD and HD DVD content.

Y'know, back when Halo first came out, I was really interested. What made me absolutely hate it, though, was having to play it with a damned control pad. For as many FPS games as I've played in my life, I found it unbearable to have to play with something other than a mouse and keyboard. Fast forward a few years and Lik Sang releases an adapter called the Smart Joy Frag. I had waited for this for YEARS, and I had long said that I'd have paid over $100 to have something like it. (Fortunately, it was only $20.) It wasn't 100% perfect, but it certainly did allow me to appreciate Halo the way I wanted to. I cannot count the hours I spent playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live.

What ultimately concerns me about Halo 3 is not being able to have the same control. Now that Lik Sang has gone under (which makes me really hate Sony more than ever before), I have no idea what will happen to any future developments of the Smart Joy peripherals. For as badly as I want Halo 3 now, there's no way I'm going to touch it without a keyboard and mouse. Few things could make me sadder than to have a truly fantastic game with controls which I utterly despise.

Y'know, back when Halo first came out, I was really interested. What made me absolutely hate it, though, was having to play it with a damned control pad. For as many FPS games as I've played in my life, I found it unbearable to have to play with something other than a mouse and keyboard. Fast forward a few years and Lik Sang releases an adapter called the Smart Joy Frag. I had waited for this for YEARS, and I had long said that I'd have paid over $100 to have something like it. (Fortunately, it was only $20.) It wasn't 100% perfect, but it certainly did allow me to appreciate Halo the way I wanted to. I cannot count the hours I spent playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live.

What ultimately concerns me about Halo 3 is not being able to have the same control. Now that Lik Sang has gone under (which makes me really hate Sony more than ever before), I have no idea what will happen to any future developments of the Smart Joy peripherals. For as badly as I want Halo 3 now, there's no way I'm going to touch it without a keyboard and mouse. Few things could make me sadder than to have a truly fantastic game with controls which I utterly despise.

Never have played a FPS with a keyboard. I've seen my brother play PC FPS with a keyboard for years, but to me it looks cumbersome as hell. Isn't it pretty easy to hit the wrong key during the middle of battle?

BTW, I haven't tried a mouse yet, but USB keyboards (wired or wireless) do work with the 360. Makes life a lot easier typing messages to people or just typing period on the 360. :)

Now that Lik Sang has gone under (which makes me really hate Sony more than ever before), I have no idea what will happen to any future developments of the Smart Joy peripherals.

Lik-Sang closing had nothing to do with Sony. They could have stayed open just fine. Their damages to Sony weren't even that much. They didn't even pay Sony a dime. They broke -resellers agreements and were ordered to stop doing so. They didn't even bother to go to court. They just looked for a way out which while I agree is a bold "statement"...all they wound up doing is upsetting their customers and putting the blame on Sony to justify it. Makes the "little guy" look big standing up "for the gamers" against the "evil empire" but such is not the truth.

People and companies should take responsibilities for their actions right or wrong. Today's views of "getting out of it" make me sick. Sony nitpicking is one thing. Falsely claiming the nitpicking broke you and then releasing private info about customers on the net is something else. Lik-Sang lost all respect from me that day. At first I thought, WTF Sony too...until I dug a bit. Lik-Sang wasn't going bankrupt because of the case nor were they going to go under from loss sales of PSP's to Europe. Think about it.

Besides...Lik-Sang the company while having great prices and customer service hold some bad skeletons in their closet. Based in HK...take a wild guess. BTW, you'll probably see Lik-Sang again under a new name. Just like Chinese DVD player manufacturers that go for a couple months at most, claim they are bankrupt and going under and set up shop elsewhere under a new name to avoid paying licensing fees.

Edited by Gaijin

Beat me to it. ;)

I believe there's also a chance that Contra will finally come out this week. :D

Make sure you download Windows Media Player 11 to stream videos from a XP machine. It will delete the old Media Connect software. Watching videos on a DVD-RW is nice now straight from the drive.

I would love to see Contra out this week.

Edited by Mechafan

Besides...Lik-Sang the company while having great prices and customer service hold some bad skeletons in their closet. Based in HK...take a wild guess. BTW, you'll probably see Lik-Sang again under a new name. Just like Chinese DVD player manufacturers that go for a couple months at most, claim they are bankrupt and going under and set up shop elsewhere under a new name to avoid paying licensing fees.

We have MCI also. They owed millons. Closed shop and dropped part of thier name.

I always thought the first Halo would make a great movie.... i mean the game already felt like a movie pretty much.

the story in Halo 2 was alright but I just felt like I didn't need to get that deep into the plot of the covenant.

either way I think it would have made a cool flick. space marines and a giant space halo? come on, thats pretty cool.

At least we have been spared one most likely bad videogame movie

Halo movie indefinitely postponed

but of course here's another most likely bad one coming

New Street Fighter movie 2008 revolving around Chun Li :wacko:

A Castlevania movie is in the works too by that Anderson guy responsible for Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, and Alien vs. Predator. At least its not Uwe Boll!

As for Halo, its got a good story and I think it has the potential to have a good movie adaption. At least Bungie and Microsoft are trying to make sure it is done right.

Mine's fine, as are the ones from a number of friends. It definitely does seem like a good number of the problems are modded ones. Beyond that, anytime you upgrade firmware, it IS risky and can cause 'bricking' as they're calling this. Ask anyone who's updated the BIOS on tons of PC or other pieces of hardware. Beyond power/connection failures, you can still randomly toast devices. So I don't think it's any big deal.

Also something to consider: Apparently some people have found that although you can select 1080p from the display properties, the component cables won't deliver it, so you'll get a blank screen without the ability to go back unless you switch to a VGA or S-Video/RCA connection so that it forces the 360 to use a different display setting. This may be the origin on some of the 'bricking' people are claiming.

Mines works fine with the update. MS did see some used systems were getting bricked too. So you may have not tinker with it but someone else did. When I used the 1080p setting my screen would go black at times. I just changed it back. I was just trying it even though my display does not support it.

The new Media Connect works very well. It sees the video streaming quality is a lot better. Watching wmv files from DVD-RW is flawless. I hope someone can make a fix for more file types.